Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Right but isn't the R2 edition over here uncut as well? So the R1 is just getting the edition the rest of us have had for ages? If it were parts 2-8 uncut then we'd be talking, but we know Paramount's status on that.

As for Zombie's 'Halloween', even without comparing it to Carpenter's version it doesn't really work at all. While I appreciate what Zombie wanted to do he just handled it so so badly. There's not a lot that actually WORKS in that film, even Malcom McDowall is wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

InfiniteZero posted:

Oh yeah, it's definitely a sure bet. With the guy who did "White Noise 2: The Light" behind the wheel, how can we go wrong?

I do think that the film be remembered for one thing -- it will kill any prospect of any sort of resurgence of 3D horror films.

And James Cameron made 'Piranha 2: The Spawning', what's your point?

Most of the reviews so far have pointed towards the film being a funny, gory time at the flicks. All the trailers seem geared toward that so if the film delivers then what's the problem?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I enjoyed it but it was uneven. After the great opening the film settles in for some downtime and it really needed some work there. I will say though that I thought the Identity of the killer was really well handled, given that there was enough motive for it to be two or three different people. I like that it wasn't completely obvious.

It also seemed to do something really annoying at the end where it flashes back to a scene that wasn't in the film.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Well Devin at Chud got to see this and had this to say (No review yet).

Devin at Chud posted:

Very solid. Third or fourth best in the series. A respectful reboot that does what it needs to do and does it well. This is very, very back to basics, which I like, and it incorporates elements from the first four films very nicely. Winks and nods that fans will get (some of the ones I got surprised even the producers, I'm proud to say) but that don't get in the way of the film itself.

I have some nitpicks, and it's definitely very modern which might put some people off, but I feel like this is a FRIDAY not for 35 year old geeks but for 16 year old kids on a date, which should be the audience for all of these films anyway.

It seems they've rejigged the timeline of the films a little bit as well. But as someone else on the board posted "It has nudity and inventive kills, what more do you want?" Which seems a fair assessment in these PG-13 days.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Should we be talking about the Nightmare on Elm St reboot yet?

There's a short bit about it here on chud http://chud.com/articles/articles/18003/1/EXCLUSIVE-HOW-DO-YOU-DEVELOP-A-NIGHTMARE-ON-ELM-STREET/Page1.html

I actually don't mind seeing it re-done, and it looks like they're going with "Freddy as a Molestor" angle this time (Which, as mentioned, as supposed to be the case to begin with, but was nixed at the last minute). But I think there's some stuff there they could mine that wasn't quite prominent enough in the original.

I think the Children being punished for what the Adults did is a great idea. But if they follow that does it adhere TOO close to the original film. And do they treat it as an origin film or do they go with the Ft13th route and treat it as a quasi prequel/sequel?

Alternatively, do they go the 'Part 2' route and make it totally gay?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

According to Devin at Chud they shot 2 versions of every kill scene so I'm sure they'll all be on the DVD.

And as mentioned earlier, the films previously have never really been allowed to linger on the deaths, they were always made to cut away as quickly as possible. So while the older ones may have been gorier, they were also truncated (Seriously, some whizz by in a flash and it's clearly not a film making decision).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Is it the same team that made the second?

Sadly Lionsgate won't be greenlighting a sequel to 'My Bloody Valentine', which is a shame, particularly as the Director supposedly had a great idea for a sequel. Here's hoping the film does great on Home release and they change their mind.

And what the hell. I'm watching Harper's Island now so seeing that promo was fun. But how do you replace Bill Pullman with Harry Hamlin?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I dunno, at least Kevin Smith has the decency to use his wife sparingly. It's not the presence of Sherri Moon that bothers me, it's that it means we're going to get some more of that fantastic back story.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Darko posted:

I hope there never is a last Final Destination; I love those movies :)

Even better is that it comes from the makers of Part 2. As much as I love Morgan/Wong they seemed to take themselves too seriously at times. Though part 3 should be noted for it's out and out viciousness (Something they followed through with the Black Christmas remake. They really seemed to hate their own characters).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

spixxor posted:

I'm sure he's not talentless, but it usually takes a couple of movies for a directer to hit his stride. I would have preferred someone who'd already earned his stripes to re-do a movie I grew up with.

I know I'm being somewhat unreasonable but I'm very attached to my Freddy movies.

Zack Snyder went from Commercials to 'Dawn of The Dead' and I think of all the complaints you can level at the movie, being poorly directed isn't one of them.

Also, those shots come from the flashback scenes, from before Freddy was 'Freddy' so it doesn't make sense to evil him up. Particularly since the mystery is if Freddy ever actually molested the Kids or did the parents take unwarranted action based on the comments of some vindictive children.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah there's a weird war of the film makers going on with the 'Final Destination' series of films. Parts 1 & 3 were done by Morgan/Wong (Millennium Season 2 represent!) and parts 2 and 4 or done by David Ellis (I hope he has his writers from part 2 back - they also did 'The Butterfly Effect', whether you like it or not you have to say they have a vicious sense of humour). On the whole Morgan/Wong take the thing a bit TOO seriously, and I gather they made part 3 because they weren't happy with the jokey vibe that was part 2.

The thing I don't like about part 3 is how loving unlikeable everyone is. Given that they do the same thing in their 'Black Xmas' remake I can only assume it's done on purpose. They write these horrible characters and then bump them off in various mean spirited ways. It kind of adds a sour note to the whole thing for me.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah Devin at Chud posted a brief snippet of his set visit and said that Freddy looks like an actual burn victim now. A move which also means they can't really franchise him with toys and everything anymore.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

UncleMonkey posted:

Awesome, thanks!

The last time I tried to watch a 3D movie it was the DVD of Freddy's Dead that came with the Nightmare boxset and I wasn't that impressed and I was worried it was just me.

Ha ha, I have the same set and yes, the 3D in that is terrible and seems to exist in the film only as an afterthought. The new 3D glasses are actually more like shades. It's an odd experience but My Bloody Valentine great in 3D.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It went down well at this year's FrightFest. I gather it's something to see with audiences.

Holy poo poo Giallo was bad, how bad? John Landis walked out after 10 minutes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

You US Goons, why are none of you seeing Joel Schumachers 'Blood Creek' this weekend? Oh that's right, it's because according the LionsGate the film doesn't actually exist. Hell, even IMDB actually lists it as 'Town Creek' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450336/

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

Never even heard of it?

Neither did I until yesterday. It's about Nazi Occultism though and seems a B-Movie revenge flick through and through. Apparantly there's not even a poster for it. Oh Schumacher, how you have fallen.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

IceNiner posted:

In the horror rags (either Fangoria or Rue Morgue, I forget which exactly) Special Effects King Rick Baker has come out and said the movie sucks rear end. Its the first time he's come out pre-release of a movie he's worked on and trashed it. Take that for what it's worth.

Which is odd since the people who have seen the film have been quite positive towards it. Not that it's amazing, just that it's a lot of fun and certainly didn't deserve the February dumping it got.

Maybe Baker is pissed because they discarded the practical effects he worked on?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I just got back from seeing it so my thoughts are over in that thread.

Baker's work is largely there, the only time CGI seems to be used are as transitions between his practical make up. It's not like they replaced everything he did with computers.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Ok so I kinda liked 'Cabin Fever 2'.

If you want to see a fat kid's cock graphically leak with puss and blood then this is totally the film for you!

However it has a weird tacked on coda that seems to run for 10 minutes after the main film has ended. It's like they couldn't find anywhere for this subplot with a minor character to go so they just threw it on at the end rather than leave it on the cutting room floor.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

finchy posted:

I've been led to believe this scene was added post-production without the directors consent. It's also been said that the supporting cast, or extras, in that scene were the executive producers, getting some screen time is the new black.

Apparently Ty West had a pretty impressive cry about the whole ordeal and wanted his name removed from the film.

All I read was that he tried to get an Alan Smithee credit on the film because so much was changed. Honestly though I'm curious what the 'original' version was supposed to be like.

I don't think it quite straddles the line between funny/gross like the original film does (I'm a fan of it) but the gross bits are incredibly gross. It's just a shame the ending scene spoils it so much (Though to be fair if we didn't see that particular character again we would've just been wondering where she was anyway).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

northerain posted:

How is Cabin Fever 2 even a sequel to the first one? There's no cabin in sight and I'm pretty sure there's no mention of the cabin fever effect from which the movie gets it's name.

The water truck you see drive away in the first film delivers water to the local high school. The film does change some aspects of the virus however, and is faster acting than it was in the original film.

As for Rider Strong's role (MAJOR SPOILERS) It's actually really funny, he wakes up in the water he was dumped in at the end of the first film and makes it out to the road all deformed, where he's promptly destroyed by a School Bus in the first of the films many gory scenes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Duke posted:

Cabin Fever 2 was pretty awful, I don't know if there's an unrated version but what I saw was pretty lame compared to the first movie. Not a fan of how they made the virus into basically vomiting up blood instead of rotting your flesh away and probably the best gore effect in the entire movie was when the kid got his face bashed in with a fire extinguisher. Also, the ending was so loving bad. The two characters left at the end just disappear from the movie with no resolution, and the strip club scenes are dumb and irrelevant.

If you saw puss leaking out of a fat kids dick then it was the unrated cut you saw.

The strip club stuff was handled by one of the producers, and changes like that made the Director try to get his name removed from the finished film. Still, I did love the 'Prom Night' homage.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So Stag Night is just an update of the awesome 'Judgement Night'?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Parachute posted:

The synopsis seems very similar to Judgment Night, that's for sure!

Hey, were you the guy who also cited Judgment Night as one of your guilty pleasures?

More than likely. It has a great soundtrack to boot, and you get to see Jeremy Piven before hair plugs, or whatever he's had done.

It actually makes a great 'Underrated 90's' double-bill with 'Tresspass'. Bill Paxton, Bill Sadler, oh my!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Cabin Fever 2 is fine. It has some great moments to it but there's still some glaring issues (The whole end coda might've pissed off Ti West, but his actual ending is hugely underwhelming). The moments of gore are fantastic though and as an unashamed fan of 'Prom Night' it was great to spot the many references to it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So any slither of hope I had for Scream 4 has gone out of the window now that Ehren loving Kruger has been brought in to do rewrites on the film. Lauren Graham walked off the project because her character was reduced to a few lines (Which is a shame as she's generally great). Hasn't it started shooting already? Just how far into production do you need to go before you decide to completely rewrite a script?

This is going to be 'Cursed' all over again isn't it? A film that was so extensively reshot that you could actually release 2 completely different versions (With a different cast for a lot of it).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Wasn't that basically 'Identity'?

I don't know that they could really pull it off now, the concept has been done so many times (Really, isn't any slasher film just a variation on that principle anyway?). It's a shame though, because I've always loved that idea. A country mansion, storm outside and people getting murdered. It's why I love 'Clue'.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

My Bloody Valentine was a blast in the Cinema, I'm glad to see the Director is doing that 3D Nic Cage movie. At least he understands that it kinda is a gimmick, so he might as well have a blast with it. Usually I hate "ooooh stuff in your face" 3D, but when it's as fun as that film then they can do what they want.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sam Raimi has said that Evil Dead 2 isn't really a direct sequel to the first because "Not even Ash is stupid enough to go back to that Cabin a second time".

Best thing about that Pirhana footage, apart from the awesome death of a rather unliked Horror Director, is that Kelly Brook nudity. In 3D!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

No but Alison Lohman makes a great female Bruce Campbell.

Anyway, the last exorcism got in on the Chat Roulette thing. It's pretty funny stuff.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/24886/1/THE-LAST-EXORCISM-POSSESSES-CHAT-ROULETTE-/Page1.html

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he said that when he films 'Endangered Species' he was going to get the studio to bankroll 'Thanksgiving' as well, and set aside a week of shooting to make it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

I re watched Happy Birthday To Me last night, one of my favorite 80s slasher movies, it still holds up so well. Hysteria Lives just did an entire piece on it. I'd love to see a remake, a proper one, not one done by those hacks at Screen Gems. Also love to see a sequel to My Bloody Valentine, come on, it made 100 million worldwide on a 14 million budget, why no sequel :(, they did Halloween 2 and part 1 only did 80 worldwide.

Apparently the Director of MBV had a "Fantastic" idea for a sequel that he pitched to Lionsgate, who then went and passed on it right away. I really hope we get to hear what it was one day since I doubt it'll ever get made.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

Scream 4, I love this series and a good who done it, hope this one delivers and chills, thrills and a decent plot. Also can't think of any other slasher movie where the survivor has come back 4 times.

Cabin In The Woods. This has been around forever, kind of worrying that it keeps getting pushed back but still, teens, Cabin, Slaughter, I'm there, also Richard Jenkins is always awesome.

I was looking forward to Scream 4 until they brought in Ehren Kruger to do rewrites.

As for Cabin in the Woods, it got pushed back to do a 3D conversion (Which no one involved in the flick wanted) and then MGM went bust. There's a very real chance the film won't be released at all, if it ever does it'll be straight to DVD now.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Local Group Bus posted:

Oh wow that's brilliant. I'm trying to not get too hyped about that movie but not having much luck. Drew Goddard, who wrote some of the best Buffy episodes, and Joss Whedon working together again and in movie format just makes me want to see the drat thing.

Reading the script didn't help either I guess. If all the ingredients come together for this it's going to be such fun.

I hate waiting, :(

Those who actually got to see it had fantastic things to say about it. Then they hit by the double whammy of needlessly post converting to 3D (Despite the objections of literally everyone involved) and then MGM getting hosed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It is oddly similar to the Cabin Fever poster, but even the earliest posters used the same design. An odd coincidence though.

With 'Thor' being successful I'm sure Lionsgate will start giving Cabin in the Woods a big push given that Chris Hemsworth is the lead (It was apparently his work in that that led to Thor - which goes to show how long Cabin in the Woods has been in the works).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

After reading about one of the scenes from the BBFC statement I'm really not surprised, it sounds incredibly hosed up.

Rapes the rear end of the Centipede with barbed wire wrapped around his cock

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Final Destination is fascinating to me because essentially there were 2 film makers battling over the series. 2 & 4 were directed by David Ellis, while 1 & 3 were made by Morgan & Wong. The reason 2 works best is because the writers (Who also wrote Butterfly Effect) realise how ridiculous the premise is (And say as much on their pretty good commentary). Their whole script is basically "You know this is ridiculous, so do we, so lets just have a blast with it". For some reason Morgan & Wong hated that and decided the films should be more serious, which is odd given their sense of humour as shown on their X-Files and Millennium episodes.

However, FD3 strikes me with the overwhelming feeling that Morgan & Wong HATE their characters. Both that and their Black Xmas remake are sadistic movies. It's as if they write the most annoying characters possible and then just gently caress them up.

My favourite bit of trivia is that the kid getting crushed with the glass was supposed to be a 10 year old, but the studio decided it would've been in bad taste.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

I enjoy when Final Destination tries to be a bit darker which is why I really like 1 and 3. I think 2 is also really good but 4 is not great, it's way to goofy, far to much cgi and the acting by the leads is pretty bad in it. The producers of 5 are saying it's going to be much darker and much more serious which I'm looking forwards to. Sucks to Americans are getting it 2 weeks earlier then us, going to have to avoid spoilers.

See I hate that, and as per my post above that's why I think FD2 got it right. Why is there this need to go dark? The series boils down to "Death is just a dick". It's the ultimate slasher film. If you're going to churn the same thing out at least make it fun. FD3 fails because it has a nasty streak running through it that's a little off putting and because the characters are so terrible. At leas the second film got some laughs out of the cast.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

But I don't think that that's an issue with something like FD2. They're perfectly aware of the seriousness of their situation, that doesn't mean the tone of the film can't be tongue in cheek. It's the deaths themselves that cause the biggest laughs because in the second film they're so brilliantly constructed. That whole scene at the dentist is fantastic because it builds and builds and builds and then nothing happens. Then they blindside you with it.

The characters take it all very seriously but the film doesn't. Appointing some arbitrary 'darkness' into something is as bad as shoehorning in some laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Speaking of, the only way I think you can make Final Destination interesting now is if the characters figure poo poo out quickly and try killing eachother in an effort to escape death. Lord knows how it would actually work, but it would add extra tension to the film. Like 'Battle Royale' but with Death getting super pissed off.