Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sil
Jan 4, 2007
What the hell you charge people for reinstalling windows? I should do that with my parents and their neighbors, I'm getting exploited here(or there, whatever).

OK, virus problem. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend has managed to get that weird fake anti-spyware spyware on her laptop. She's saying that her browser is now pretty much unusably slow(though skype still works fine) and downloads in general are greatly slowed. She had AVG free installed and said that whatever popped up kinda looked like it. Is that what happened or is some other cocktail of viruses at work here(I know this is low info, but hey she's computer illiterate).

I'm in a different country, so short of telling her to get Windows reinstalled(which I did, she'd have to pay for it at a shop so that's not happening) what can I do for her?

Additional question: getting a new hard drive for my laptop and I'm planning on installing windows from files saved on the HDD(legit files, that newriver student offer thing). Would this run a risk of infecting my new hdd with whatever my current one has(as far as I know it's totally clean, but hey you never know)? Should I burn the files to a DVD instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Midelne posted:

If it's even a vaguely modern device it'll have a recovery partition that'll allow any non-technical user to reinstall Windows on their system by mashing "Next". Tell her that when her computer powers on and the line "Press F10 for Recovery" comes onto the screen to very quickly press F10 and follow on-screen instructions, which will mostly consist of confirming that you are aware that you are wiping out everything on your computer and then pressing "Next" a few times.

You might have to sit on the phone for a few minutes in a worst-case scenario, but it's a very straightforward process.

All right, I'll try that. It's a 5-6 year old Acer(or Asus) so yeah. Best thing that can come of this is she buys a Mac and stops having this problem annually for a few years. Though with my luck the big explosion of mac viruses will start as soon as she's happily used to it.

• Locked thread