Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

TekLok posted:

Yes, this loving thing.

Is there anything out there besides Malwarebytes and superantispyware that gets rid of it as of yet? My toolkit is lacking.

It has a few strains, which complicates things. I got rid of it from the machines here with a rescue console and some manual cleanup after a run through with Nod and Ccleaner but by god, you miss one little bit of it, and the whole thing's back on the next boot, it literally took me all day to locate all the traces of it so I could get it all in one go. It's an evil bit of code, I almost wanted to save it off and decompile it on a clean machine to find out how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
New techniques for writing malware come out, little unheard-of tools that are the first to jump on them get the praise. The only bit of this that bothers me is when the previously leading antivirus company's response isn't "let's knuckle down and find ways to clean this stuff" but "let's sell out while we're ahead and go all bloaty and shite". I'm waiting to see which way NOD jumps... if it goes the AVG route I may have to switch.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
I'm yet to find a good way of explaining to someone how to judge when an error message is legit or if it's indicative of some problem. More often than not we "just know" because we stay on top of things, but what can you say to someone beyond that, especially when they're not technical?

Then again I hate myself for saying it, but if at the end of the day I make £50 a throw for removing malware from someone's PC after they clicked the wrong thing, I'm tempted to not care too hard, and brace for the inevitable Karma that will no doubt catch me out and erase everything on my own hard drive a few months from now.

• Locked thread