Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

brc64 posted:

While I certainly appreciate the separate OS partition or drive, what's to stop a virus from infecting your data drive as well?

It's not unheard of for a virus to be able to hide in a data file (like a pdf, etc.) but it's rare. The vast majority of viruses/malware you'll encounter are going to infect Windows installs, and if you don't have an install of Windows on the drive, you're safe from those. There are the few oddball ones that will infect anything executable, and there are some that can hide in certain data files (waiting to be opened by a program with a security hole) but they're in the minority. In theory (and if you want to be secure) you should probably format both your data drive and your system drive if you get infected but that's probably unnecessary on a home pc - might be worth scanning the data drive with a virus scanner or something just to be on the safe side though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Doc Faustus posted:

Right. Those crafty Mac zealots, out to infect your inferior windows machine.
You think you're being funny but I've seen Mac zealot websites that do this - granted it was a long time ago. Fuckers are crazy.

• Locked thread