Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Steve French posted:

I'm somewhat inclined to start a thread (probably slow moving, kids are a thing), to selfishly see how many of you I can trick into helping me figure poo poo out and fix things on it. Interest?

I want to live vicariously through you. Wish I wasn't mechanically retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Have we ever turned down a project(s) thread? The more the merrier. Especially containing that car.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
:justpost: do it if for nothing else but more pics of that glorious bird

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Definitely start a thread! Even if it moves slow. There have been entire years where my thread was just bullshitting and routine maintenance on festering garbage-heap daily drivers.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

GramCracker posted:

I traded in my mk2 TTRS for a RS3 this past month. The RS3 is Paint to Sample in British Racing Green, and to my knowledge is either 1:1 in the US or the world. As soon as it showed up from California I immediately put H&R springs and my LM-R's on it, as well as some secondary decat pipes. I have a set of ecode headlights that I intend to put on the car this weekend to remove the amber corners. It's night and day difference compared to the TTRS, couldn't be happier.

Holy poo poo

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Steve French posted:

I'm somewhat inclined to start a thread (probably slow moving, kids are a thing), to selfishly see how many of you I can trick into helping me figure poo poo out and fix things on it. Interest?

If it's got a quadrajet carb and you want to keep it I can help with that. Though it's probably been replaced if the motor has I would bet. There's tons of old car guys that can help no doubt.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

shy boy from chess club posted:

If it's got a quadrajet carb and you want to keep it I can help with that. Though it's probably been replaced if the motor has I would bet. There's tons of old car guys that can help no doubt.

I poked at the carb this morning as a matter of fact. It does indeed still have a quadrajet, from 1975, same year as the engine. There are, uhh, some things missing, though. I'll share more details in the project thread when I get a few minutes to put it together / come up with the right dumb joke for a thread title

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Controversial statement - throw it in the bin and get an aftermarket carb or if you don’t want to gently caress around with rods, jets and springs an efi system. My Grand Prix didn’t have a useable carb on it so I just got a new Edelbrock 1906 because I hate myself and didn’t want to put efi on it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Steve French posted:

Do that.

dema posted:

I want to live vicariously through you.

Because that. My own projects are hilariously stalled out.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

project thread posted: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940800

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hey guys what the gently caress is wrong with me?

‘94 Del Sol S (1.5l with 102hp lol). Purchased from the original owner with 176k miles. Timing belt was done at 142k, and a bunch of other stuff was replaced in the past 5-6 years like radiator, fuel pump, etc. according to the stack or records we found in the tiny glove box. Has relatively small amounts of Honda rust behind the doors but it was incredibly cheap and I was the first person to show up - it was on FB marketplace for mere minutes before I texted. I’m planning on just upgrading the wheels and tires with some 15” Rota Slipstreams and 195/50/15 Firehawk tires that I already ordered and probably just leaving it at that. The interior is perfect other than one rip in the driver’s seat which will get some stitches tomorrow. Mechanically it needs nothing, and has only been driven about 200 miles this year. I really need to find a place to put up my 20-foot-wide Honda dealership letters because it’s getting to that point...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I like that you didn't even sell the other one yet before buying this one.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Suburban Dad posted:

I like that you didn't even sell the other one yet before buying this one.

Selling the other one is optional...it would be nice to have more space but I don’t NEED to sell it. My wife told me not to sell anything but just get another garage...

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Hey guys what the gently caress is wrong with me?

Nothing, so far as I can tell.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's awesome, I actually just saw a lime samba green JDM Del Sol driving around earlier today. Hadn't seen one on the road in quite a while, and you don't see many JDM anything in Nebraska.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 24, 2020

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I made an impulse purchase last night.
I bought this 1969 Chevy C10 from a friend:

The engine isn't what came in it, I don't know the specifics of it beyond 'Chevy V8 mated to an auto'

I'll be digging in there soon to nail down specifics.

It joins the proud shitbox fleet and continues the tradition of buying ever older cars.

I've decided to ditch my Datsun project in favor of this. The cost was probably about the same as it would have been to get the Datsun minimally viable for what I wanted. And in the end, this was way cooler to me. My personal opinion is that the second generation Chevy C/K trucks may have been the best looking trucks ever made.
It's loud, there's lots of little things that need to be addressed, but it runs, it's fun, and I love it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

That is a good find, 100% a small block chevy, if you can find the casting numbers you will be able to see if it is a 350 or something else. If it was swapped in then probably a 350. Lots of parts availability and cheap for those.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

nadmonk posted:

I like this. Nice find!

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

BigPaddy posted:

That is a good find, 100% a small block chevy, if you can find the casting numbers you will be able to see if it is a 350 or something else. If it was swapped in then probably a 350. Lots of parts availability and cheap for those.

Just confirmed: the engine is a 1976 350 police application engine.

It's got an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold and Edelbrock carb, that I have yet to ID.
Still have to determine what the transmission is. I'm pretty certain it is not what was originally with the engine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Selling the other one is optional...it would be nice to have more space but I don’t NEED to sell it. My wife told me not to sell anything but just get another garage...

Can I borrow your wife? I like her attitude.
To be fair, my wife isn't opposed to cars - we just need more space to hide park them.

nadmonk posted:

The engine isn't what came in it, I don't know the specifics of it beyond 'Chevy V8 mated to an auto'

It joins the proud shitbox fleet and continues the tradition of buying ever older cars.

I've decided to ditch my Datsun project in favor of this. The cost was probably about the same as it would have been to get the Datsun minimally viable for what I wanted. And in the end, this was way cooler to me. My personal opinion is that the second generation Chevy C/K trucks may have been the best looking trucks ever made.
It's loud, there's lots of little things that need to be addressed, but it runs, it's fun, and I love it.

Nice. My dad has a fleet of non-running C/Ks that I will likely inherit in 20 years or so...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

nadmonk posted:

Oh holy poo poo welcome to the club! Nice find, looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I like the look already with the red wheels and all. Is there much rust in like the rockers and cab corners? Luckily everything is super cheap and plentiful for these trucks and that drivetrain.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Some daytime pictures of the third gen CRX. I can’t wait to get the new wheels, these hubcaps are killin’ me!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Some daytime pictures of the third gen CRX. I can’t wait to get the new wheels, these hubcaps are killin’ me!

And here I think it's perfect just the way it is. You always see them with aftermarket wheels. You never just see one just as it was.
Just a pretty little car :swoon:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man now I want a lil red sol, it's gorgeous

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A condensed group session. Once the Del Sol’s title arrives, it will join the ranks of the custom plate crew. I’m thinking NO VTEC

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

What's the plate on the s2k? If I ever get another VW the plate will definitely be some variant of CEL ON

SLO RICE is excellent

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That owns. I remember when those were new, and have always thought they were rad.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

shy boy from chess club posted:

Oh holy poo poo welcome to the club! Nice find, looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I like the look already with the red wheels and all. Is there much rust in like the rockers and cab corners? Luckily everything is super cheap and plentiful for these trucks and that drivetrain.

There is more rust than I thought initially, but it really isn't bad.
I'll probably need to replace the rocker panels, but I looked and those are something like $18 ea. But really, other than that, it is just patching here and there. Nothing major.

I did figure out the transmission is a TH350 and the engine is a 1976 350 T4OO police package (with Edelbrock carb and Performance RPM intake manifold). I'm not sure what all has been done to the engine, but it will chirp the tires if you floor it when it shifts to second.

It is rough and simple and perhaps a bit dumb, but drat do I love it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There is a guy locally wanting to trade. Del SLO for a Miata and i am really tempted.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

TheBacon posted:

What's the plate on the s2k? If I ever get another VW the plate will definitely be some variant of CEL ON

SLO RICE is excellent

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 16, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:kiss:

now you just need the integra to complete the honda set and plate it MONICA

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 26, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I bought an ugly car

I actually like the looks, even if it's a tiny bit too tall

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I bought an ugly car

I actually like the looks, even if it's a tiny bit too tall

I’ve been eyeing these. What do you think so far? Did you cross shop a used i3 or spark at all?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

willroc7 posted:

I’ve been eyeing these. What do you think so far? Did you cross shop a used i3 or spark at all?

I love it. I came from a Volt so neither of those appealed to me. I wanted the full fat 200mi+ BEV experience. It's way peppier that I thought it'd be, it's literally a tall electric hot hatch

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Feels great to have the Rugger back :toot:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
yay

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
That Daihatsu is awesome.

This loving owns super hard.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Moab and big bodied Toyotas.

More will be posted in my thread with time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Despite the short body GMT400 not being something you see every day (and I only drive mine very occasionally), I ran into another one at work today.

Mine is the red ‘94 Blazer Sport - last year of production with the Blazer name. The other one was a Tahoe, and looked to be a ‘98 based on the interior - also a last-year model.

Aesthetically I like mine more but I am semi-jealous of the Vortec motor...