Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Don't know if you ever saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGKLuqfasEc

Not the most exciting review, granted.

I've never made it through the whole thing but this one is good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W53uWwS_yc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Can't wait to get her out of storage for this summer. Need to take the starter out and have it looked at/rewound, and a few spots could use some touch up paint.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
now in storage till i head back to japan or sell it and buy one here

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SquirrelGrip posted:

Wouldn't storage for a drift car in Japan be more than like an apartment's rent here? Or is there some insane drift guy with a field full of total shitboxes that I need to visit?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vital Signs posted:

Can't wait to get her out of storage for this summer. Need to take the starter out and have it looked at/rewound, and a few spots could use some touch up paint.

Those seats better be covered in a mexican blanket.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wouldn't storage for a drift car in Japan be more than like an apartment's rent here? Or is there some insane drift guy with a field full of total shitboxes that I need to visit?

basically the latter at the circuit, youtube knows it as the drift car graveyard

part of the powervehicles support fee includes the option of storage at the track for 5,000 JPY/month

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Powershift posted:

Those seats better be covered in a mexican blanket.
Haha, that's an upgrade for later.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Crossposting this from the awesome poo poo thread:

Two years ago, my freshly restored 1962 Corvair Monza Sedan was trashed by a drunk driver.

This afternoon, I finally drove it home from the body shop. :unsmith:

It needed a new rear quarter, dogleg, section of the rocker panel, door, rear suspension arm, axle and wheel bearing, wheel, and tire. The door pillar had been pushed in about an inch.
The process of locating a rust free quarter panel and door took most of the time.
The body shop did an absolutely amazing job and the drunk's insurance just cut a $5500 check to pay for it. All I have to do now is replace the hubcap and beauty ring that was destroyed in the impact and mount the rocker panel trim that I never got a chance to install before the accident.
This car has special meaning to me because the local Corvair expert who guided me through the restoration (IE did most of the work) died of ALS about 8 months after the accident. This was his last Corvair restoration. Insurance was originally going to total the car and offer us $4500 but I wouldn't let that happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wonderful!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

SquirrelGrip posted:

Love me a 180SX. In fact anything with an SR20 in it is usually fun (yes I know the early 180SX had a CA18 in it hence being a 180 not a 200).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MullardEL34 posted:

Two years ago, my freshly restored 1962 Corvair Monza Sedan was trashed by a drunk driver.

It needed a new rear quarter, dogleg, section of the rocker panel, door, rear suspension arm, axle and wheel bearing, wheel, and tire. The door pillar had been pushed in about an inch.
The process of locating a rust free quarter panel and door took most of the time.
The body shop did an absolutely amazing job and the drunk's insurance just cut a $5500 check to pay for it. All I have to do now is replace the hubcap and beauty ring that was destroyed in the impact and mount the rocker panel trim that I never got a chance to install before the accident.
This car has special meaning to me because the local Corvair expert who guided me through the restoration (IE did most of the work) died of ALS about 8 months after the accident. This was his last Corvair restoration. Insurance was originally going to total the car and offer us $4500 but I wouldn't let that happen.

Feel good story of the month right here, glad to see it back in one piece.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

just enjoying one of the few days here where it isn't either raining and 40, or sunny, 110 and everything is on fire

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

MullardEL34 posted:

Wow that was 2 years ago?
Awesome that it got fixed

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Just switched out the Scat Pack for this thing in the red in my stable, now I can have something to challenge the fun of riding my motorcycles:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Darko posted:

Just switched out the Scat Pack for this thing in the red in my stable, now I can have something to challenge the fun of riding my motorcycles:

Dang that looks sweet. Every Corvette is better than the previous generation but I am seriously wondering what they can do that is better than the C7.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Dang that looks sweet. Every Corvette is better than the previous generation but I am seriously wondering what they can do that is better than the C7.

Once I saw the C7, I knew I had to have it. It's my favorite look of them yet. I work for GM, so I'll let you know if I run across any crazy designs for the next gen.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Is the mid-engine corvette still a myth?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rdb posted:

Is the mid-engine corvette still a myth?

Less of a myth than ever before. Lots of sightings and spy shots of camoed mid-engine mystery cars running around with GM test teams, and the leak that there is an impending Y-code (Corvette) exclusive DOHC V8 coming in 2018.

Lots of excitement, very little confirmed information. I'll believe it when I'm selling my possessions for the down payment.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cannot give details or confirm/deny but I can say something crazy is in the wings for Corvette engines, so keep watching the news.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Darko posted:

Jealous. If you're near SE PA you should take me for a ride so I can hate my C5.

e: derp Michigan and PA plates look too similar.

opengl fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 22, 2017

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My dad used to work for Nintendo but now he works at GM and he said the next Corvette will be mid engine with 708hp.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darko posted:

Cannot give details or confirm/deny but I can say something crazy is in the wings for Corvette engines, so keep watching the news.

You're an awful human being.

This will not stop me from letting you drive my Z06, if you'll spill a few beans.

:v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
the POS emerges

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I spent like 6 hours cleaning and cleaning and cleaning my SW20 today.

Bonus: this was what lurked underneath the rear spoiler lmao :barf:

Short-term to-do list: swap for a 93+ front bumper, get a rear strut tower brace, upgrade to 15 inch tires (prolly 205s up front 225s in back).

Long-term: 2GR-FE swap :getin:

Already done: Koni yellow adjustable struts, Eibach lowering springs, replaced AC condensor + recharged system, several broken interior pieces replaced, new paint on about half the car (clearcoat was peeling, some slight damage on rear bumper, passenger side front fender had been rattlecanned at some point and looked fuckin awful)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

financially racist posted:

I spent like 6 hours cleaning and cleaning and cleaning my SW20 today.

Bonus: this was what lurked underneath the rear spoiler lmao :barf:

Short-term to-do list: swap for a 93+ front bumper, get a rear strut tower brace, upgrade to 15 inch tires (prolly 205s up front 225s in back).

Long-term: 2GR-FE swap :getin:

Already done: Koni yellow adjustable struts, Eibach lowering springs, replaced AC condensor + recharged system, several broken interior pieces replaced, new paint on about half the car (clearcoat was peeling, some slight damage on rear bumper, passenger side front fender had been rattlecanned at some point and looked fuckin awful)

What's up fellow Oregoon? What part of our fair state do you call home?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

just enjoying one of the few days here where it isn't either raining and 40, or sunny, 110 and everything is on fire

God this car is so beautiful.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

blk posted:

What's up fellow Oregoon? What part of our fair state do you call home?

Well there's a pretty big hint on the back window :ssh:

LeeMajors posted:

God this car is so beautiful.

It is! It is also, as I found out, a giant pain to clean thoroughly because there's just so many nooks and crannies. Also don't buy white cars if you're a stickler for cleanliness (even though IMO the SW20 does look best in white).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It is! It is also, as I found out, a giant pain to clean thoroughly because there's just so many nooks and crannies. Also don't buy white cars if you're a stickler for cleanliness (even though IMO the SW20 does look best in white).

I've always found white cars to look cleaner longer though. Dark cars show any road grime immediately.

I had an oxidized red 85 NA MkI and I always wanted a MkII--but now that I have a family and poo poo, that dream is probably dead.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I wanted a Mk1 more to be completely honest; even though the SW20 has a more universally loved appearance, the Mk1 is totally my kind of poo poo. Sadly literally every single one I looked at was a bucket of problems waiting to turn into a catastrophe, and since I needed a daily driver that kinda precluded me from grabbing one. This thing just needed a new AC condenser mechanically, and it (for now) has the same engine my mom has in her 250k+ mile Camry, so it gives me a fair bit of confidence that it'll serve my needs well enough in the 100 mile round trip I need to make every day for college.

Also once I've graduated and have a career, I'm gonna buy an Autozam AZ-1 as a second car because I am just completely mental.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Are these aftermarket turn signal lenses? They don't match the reference material in Forza

:mmmhmm:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I wanted a Mk1 more to be completely honest; even though the SW20 has a more universally loved appearance, the Mk1 is totally my kind of poo poo. Sadly literally every single one I looked at was a bucket of problems waiting to turn into a catastrophe, and since I needed a daily driver that kinda precluded me from grabbing one. This thing just needed a new AC condenser mechanically, and it (for now) has the same engine my mom has in her 250k+ mile Camry, so it gives me a fair bit of confidence that it'll serve my needs well enough in the 100 mile round trip I need to make every day for college.

Also once I've graduated and have a career, I'm gonna buy an Autozam AZ-1 as a second car because I am just completely mental.

I loved that little AW11 more than was healthy--and had always since I was a kid. Picked it up with 120k in 1997 for $1200 and drove it incredibly hard. Learned how to drive manual on that and my dad's 93 Isuzu Pup.

Basically I dogged it really hard until it died 3 years later and I picked up a more reliable Camry for college. I miss my little go kart every loving day. I wish I had taken more initiative to learn how to fix it back then. Ended up selling it for 800$ (not running) to a dude who wanted to swap motors for racing. Feels like blasphemy in hindsight.

I'm not sure any other car made 112hp feel that fun or impressive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I really wanted an Isuzu Vehicross in high school.

That was, uh... prett silly.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LeeMajors posted:

I loved that little AW11 more than was healthy--and had always since I was a kid. Picked it up with 120k in 1997 for $1200 and drove it incredibly hard. Learned how to drive manual on that and my dad's 93 Isuzu Pup.

Basically I dogged it really hard until it died 3 years later and I picked up a more reliable Camry for college. I miss my little go kart every loving day. I wish I had taken more initiative to learn how to fix it back then. Ended up selling it for 800$ (not running) to a dude who wanted to swap motors for racing. Feels like blasphemy in hindsight.

I'm not sure any other car made 112hp feel that fun or impressive.

My previous car was an 85 RX7, and even at its lowly 105hp that thing was a laugh riot. Sadly had to leave it behind when I moved across the country. Actually looked for another one out here but FBs are inexplicably like three times more expensive here in Oregon than on the east coast. Like I could have paid 4500 for a good 12a-powered FB, or 3k for the SW20 I bought.

...man I still really, really miss that RX7.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
All forza joking aside, your MR2 is pretty sweet. My wife had two Mk1's before I met her, and we actually were just discussing the concept of buying one for her now but I have no idea what prices are like - you seriously got that car for $3k? I would have said $12k considering how fresh it looks and the fact there aren't many left in unmolested condition (at least in SoCal).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SW20s have been coming down in price for quite a while. 3k is very much on the low end, but a good NA should not cost much more than 5k or so. You should get in while they are this cheap, it can't last forever and I am willing to bet that in the next 5-10 years they'll start rising in price again as good ones become harder to find.

I recommend not buying a turbo, it seems like everyone who owns one is an idiot in my experience. Plus I think the NA looks better (the turbo fog lights make it look like it has buck teeth, and the turbo fiberglass engine cover rattles around and makes a terrible racket). NAs are not fast cars but that's what 2GR swaps are for.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Well there's a pretty big hint on the back window :ssh:

Yeah, wasn't sure if that was PO/past/present. I am jealous of your Toyota F355 and easy access to delicious In N Out burgers. Keep up the good work.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Darko posted:

Once I saw the C7, I knew I had to have it. It's my favorite look of them yet. I work for GM, so I'll let you know if I run across any crazy designs for the next gen.

PM'd.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Josh Lyman posted:

I really wanted an Isuzu Vehicross in high school.

That was, uh... prett silly.

whatever dude. I still really want one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

whatever dude. I still really want one.
I can't believe the prices they're still fetching. I wasn't even really into cars back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Josh Lyman posted:

I can't believe the prices they're still fetching. I wasn't even really into cars back then.

They didn't make many of them right? If you want one that's the only thing to get as there is nothing else to get like it.