Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
This is my daily driver:

I love it. It's a '96 with '99 shock hats (more travel), cut springs (oh ya slice em), intake, header, and cat back. Just put in some Hawk HPS pads today. Near-future plans include a ported '99 Miata cylinder head with '99 Miata pistons (10.5:1). Long term plans include a roll bar and turbo/blower. That'll about do it.

(It's a 5-speed, OP)

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

echoplex posted:

Retired 1991 LTI Fairway Taxi - ex-London

This is awesome! Those cars are so roomy and comfortable! Hell, you could build a little camper into the backseat area!

PreacherNutshot posted:

Wow, I never thought I'd say this, but "that is a great looking Miata"
MX-5 :colbert:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

protmind posted:

2006 Honda S2000, with about 12,000 miles.

It's winter now, so it will be sitting in the garage until March or so.
What? You don't wanna learn how to drift?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

My car from a drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV0xFNpv-aA

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

DesperateDan posted:

what kind of speed did you reach before you came down a bit for the curve? that drone seemed to rocket forward
I let off after shifting into 2nd to let him catch up, maybe 45-50mph. Then got back on it, which reminds me...

Vitamin J on the first page posted:

This is my daily driver:

I love it. It's a '96 with '99 shock hats (more travel), cut springs (oh ya slice em), intake, header, and cat back. Just put in some Hawk HPS pads today. Near-future plans include a ported '99 Miata cylinder head with '99 Miata pistons (10.5:1). Long term plans include a roll bar and turbo/blower. That'll about do it.

(It's a 5-speed, OP)

It's turbocharged now with a T25 at 9psi.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Yep, factory Torsen.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Why so low? They're awfully fun once you hit 15psi+
Still a baby plus I haven't gotten it on a dyno yet. Waiting to fix a few issues with it being a 200k Miata now, and need to replace the 2.25" exhaust, then it will be turned up. 9psi at my elevation is only like 5-6psi at sea level as well.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Fucknag posted:

I don't think that's how wastegates work.
Gonna explain how you think they work?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Boost pressure pushes against a fixed spring tension; the wastegate will not open until that pressure is reached.

It'll take longer to spool, sure, since it has to spin faster to pressurize the thinner air, but unless something is very wrong it should still hit the same absolute pressure. That means the same air mass into the cylinders, same fuel burn, same power on boost.

Why do you think some of the very first applications for superchargers (both belt- and turbine-driven) were for high-altitude aircraft engines?
As Bajaha says below, the wastegate references local air pressure. If it's a 7psi spring, all that means is that it takes 7psi above local air pressure to move it. I'm pretty sure there isn't a 2nd vac hose coming off my wastegate and running all the way to California for it to reference sea level air pressure. No, all it knows is my local air pressure, which at 5300ft, is about 3-4psi lower than sea level on a good day.

This is all very easy to demonstrate, when I power up my Megasquirt without the engine running, the MAP is about 78-82kpa while at sea level it would be 100kpa. I have to build 3-4 psi of boost on my boost gauge before my MAP sensor reads 100kpa, while an NA Miata at sea level would pull 100kpa at WOT.

Bajaha posted:

Technically you still have atmospheric pressure in addition to the spring, which at a higher altitude could influence your peak boost numbers, although not as severely as was mentioned earlier.
Boost pressure is not the same as absolute pressure. Boost pressure is totally dependent on local air pressure. I drive up to the summit of Pike's Peak and my boost gauge is still reading 9psi, but the absolute pressure inside my manifold is much less than at the bottom of the mountain and I am making less horsepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

My new winter/daily/Miata-supplement and big stuff carrier for work in Boulder of course: