Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
1997 Mazda Miata Speedster Edition. 5MT.

It only has the suspension freshened up with Tokico Illumina adjustable dampers and FatCatMotorsports progressive bumpstops. I have Flyin' Miata adjustable anti-roll bars but am holding off installing them since it will bump me out of stock class.

Wet autoslaloms with a Torsen are super fun.

If your wondering what the front looks like:

Click here for the full 800x532 image.

14 autoslaloms and going strong.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Penguins Like Pies posted:

:swoon: I want! Have you made any mods to it? The jdm front is much better than the usdm.

Why would you mod it?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Why do people call their car their baby? A few people I know have started doing this with their new cars...

"My baby is going to the doctor for a check up today!" = It's just going to get it checked for a TSB...

It's starting to get on my nerves.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

G_Gnome posted:

The cold snap in Northern BC this Christmas murdered my '00 hyundai accent

Howed that happen?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Belldandy posted:

Blow Dog:

Is Porsche using a MacPhearson front for the 997 GT3? If so, what suspension comes out of the box with the car? Whats the adjustability - do they have reservoirs?

R&T posted:

To turn the Carrera S into a worthy track racer, the GT3 RS takes the same basic front MacPherson strut and rear multilink suspension setup and firms it up with more aggressive springs and shocks. The Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) can already change the RS's ride character on the fly with a push of button in the cockpit. But to allow additional fine-tuning of the suspension on the track, front and rear struts have external threads and spring perches for ride-height adjustments. Further, at the rear are unique split track-control arms; metal bushings replace rubber ones for more precise wheel location at speed. Both front and rear anti-roll bars are also adjustable.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6458&print_page=y

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

sharkytm posted:

Most places will ticket you. I've been yelled at in NY, WV, MA, CT, and VT. No tickets, though... I managed to talk them out of actually ticketing me, because I had my front plate with me, and claimed that I was coming back from Europe, and hadn't had a chance to get a plate holder for the US plate.

Hahahah what the gently caress. I can't believe they bought that. :psyduck: How could that even be true?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

durty posted:

I just noticed the Volvo grill under the bumper. :v:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Grimster posted:

HHR SS' are hilarious cars. I really want to drive one. Whats it like driving a performance box with a tiny tach?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Grimster posted:

Tiny tach?

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/x/w/gm_08hhrss_dash.jpg

It barely has room for the needle and the numbers!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

Is that the stock shifter? It's so much more badass than a regular leather booted shifter.

If only it felt as good as it looks.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Do all those badges weigh you down? :v:

EDIT: vvv ffffffffffffff vvv

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 26, 2009

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Aqualung posted:

Looking at it again, I bet he's one of those guys that loves driving around with his fog lights always on at night. Not that they do anything at that height other than blind everyone in front of him.

His dipped beams must be horrendous too. God drat.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Nice plate on that Legacy. :xd:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Did an elephant fall on your Supra?

How do you survive that? Injuries?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How come you got the F1 instead of the manual?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sockington posted:

Other people seem to go WAY to loving big though. What rotating mass?

That, and there's like the tiniest caliper clamping that manhole cover.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

KrazyKosher posted:

It's very much in the project stages right now. The original owner swapped the original engine for a 318, but I have a pristine rebuilt 340 four barrel and some headers that I'm going to drop in it.

What was originally in it?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

KrazyKosher posted:

It originally had a 340.

The orange fender is from a 71 R/T, which I recently discovered has slightly larger wheel wells than a 70, so I'll have to switch it out eventually.

340 4spd originally? If you put that stuff back in will that make it a numbers matching car?

(Please doc this, my Dad loves these cars)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

orange lime posted:

The inside of my car gets so hot that once I got burned by my key after taking it out of the ignition. 15 minutes of driving was enough to heat it up to like...what? 160 degrees?

Out of curiosity, what is the car?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

sadnessboner posted:

I don't think I've ever posted my crap in here. Forgive my horrible camera skills

My first car, still my daily driver whenever a heater is required - 1978 UC Holden Torana

I still like your first car best. :colbert:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

my1999gsr posted:

The car is in very good shape for it's mileage especially since it was winter driven in Ontario for 8 years before I got it.

Where abouts do you live? I'd love to steal see that thing. Better yet if I could coax you out to an autocross.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sockington posted:

:canada: goon trap spotted.

It'd be kind of interesting to get together a few of the Ontario racing guys together at some summer event next year.... I'd be stuck driving the Focus. :(

There is a TO area goon who drives a red bug eye WRX too.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Robot Smasher posted:

My baby is a daily driven Lotus Exige.

DD as in 5 days a week? Are you some sort of limber gymnast?

I bet after a year you could suck your own penis.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Matlock posted:

Is that a...Malibu SS? I didn't know they existed.

Malibu SSes exist.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

_adam posted:

When it wasn't ripped apart:

That fish eye lens makes your toe look retarded.

And it makes my head hurt.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Delivery McGee posted:

and the fuel filler door button's been disabled (have to open the trunk and pull a handle in there).

What the hell is the point of that?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ms. Manchair posted:

Upsettingly no... I daren't post a picture from the back, she's got a VERY ugly behind :ohdear:

That blue Ford badge looks dumb on the front of that. See if you can't get a black/orange one or something.

If you going to go with some crazy color coordination, follow through!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

KozmoNaut posted:

Nice Fiat! :)

Good choice on the interior, some would probably call it garish, but it's a welcome change from the dull grey/beige/brown interiours of the past 30 years.

Nice who-what? I didn't know the Ford Ka was sharing things with the Fiat 500.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
drat. That doesn't look like much to total a car that new.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

ayb posted:

This is my dad's 38 that I got to take out for a drive today.

It drove like a tank and sounds like one! No power steering, no power brakes but it sure gets a lot of looks.

Neat use for a cam shaft.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

influx posted:

That looks really really nice. Tell us more about it!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

ab0z posted:

For those of us not familiar enough to identify on sight, what year/model is it?

Look like an XJ-R

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Why didn't you get the previous Legacy?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Method Loser posted:

how, in any way, does that look like a sunfire?

vs

I think I like the bottom one more.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
We got Camry's that generation with 5spds. They were only 4cyls though. :(

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Tsuru posted:

I have been lurking on here for quite a while, and I decided this board needs more Alfa. Alfa 156, to be precise.

Can a car with nearly 180000 miles on it ever be called mint condition? Because I think this one can. It's a 1998 1.8TS, and even though it is 12 years old and has a gazillion miles on it, it uses no oil to speak of and it has never needed any suspension, clutch or engine work. I bought it from an old teacher of mine, a long time Alfisto I know and trust, who had garaged it religiously and provided me with a full history down to every single fuel stop. Needless to say at the equivalent of $2500 I think it is an absolute steal.

That's loving nice.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I had no idea you could get glass roof GT500s. Awesome.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Hatebreed posted:

This is why I hate vwvortex.

My mind keeps screaming PHOTOSHOP. They look really weird.

They also look visually heavy.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Imperador do Brasil posted:

It's too dark to take pictures at the moment, so tomorrow will have to do, but I traded my Fit for an 08 Cobalt SS Turbocharged. Just gotta get some new keyless entry remotes made up tomorrow and it's all good in the hood.

Did you get the fancy performance screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

DogDodger posted:

A friend shot this interesting comparison between new and old TTs. Mine's on the right.

Wow, new ones are BIG.