Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wrar posted:

When you can move around again just buy something from the South or West instead of loving around with rust.
This. Find something and do a little fly-n-drive. Hell find something in Knoxville I'll go look at it for you then pick you up from the airport. After living down here for 10 years rust is just not worth dealing with on anything less than 50 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Apocalyptic times require apocalyptic solutions

:getin: Love how this car is coming along

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

NumbersMatching320 posted:

E21 stuff is hilarious, 1/3 of it is NLA from anyone since the 90s (lol dreading the day my hazard switch dies), 1/3 of it is euro-parts-bin jellybean stuff common to 19 Volvos, 6 VWs and a 1 year only Citroen and 1/3 of it including the sheet metal is 'dealer only but it's cheaper than I'd expect to pay at NAPA'

There's a few hoarders of e21 stuff that helps a little but mine just keeps getting more mix & match as things break. When your hazard fails, not if, stick a toothpick in it. Mine failed at a BMW meet in the mountains a couple years ago and has been 'fixed' by a toothpick holding it in since.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

1982 F100 towed the R1 Locost out to the local drift/kart track for some lapping yesterday morning.

Truck details - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032817&userid=106767&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post480250040
Locost details - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032817&userid=106767&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post487153997

:getin: perfect

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of EV conversions. There is a dude selling a Clio Electrique for like $5k Has 6 i3 battery cells in it. Runs and drives. Feels like a bit of a dick move to buy an then use the driveline for something nicer than a Renault Clio from the 90's when he's just finished getting it on the road though.

Someone else's completed project is only slightly worse than someone else's uncompleted project as far as acquiring parts you need for your project. Buy it, drive it while you collect all the other bits for your donor than move the stuff over. Gives you a nice chance to test everything as a bonus.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wife wanted a fun car and it arrived today. 1979 Fiat 126 completely restored in 2005 and engine rebuilt in 2018. It's tiny and fun to drive. Gave it a quick wash but we'll get some decent pictures this weekend.

Parked between the 1977 320i and the 1978 Van Diemen RF78

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

We're both 5'6" and have the seats slid back about half way I think. They really are tiny cars, 12ft long total...three feet shorter than the seemingly short i3.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The pedal box area is also cramped so if you have large wide feet you may be out of luck. It makes a similar age 911 pedals look spacious.

Really makes you appreciate how your feet and legs are the crunch zone :stonklol:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'll be reteaching the wife how to drive a manual in it, she hasn't in over 10 years and that was just big trucks at low speed. I will say even though I've never driven anything but manuals I'm inconsistent at best getting a smooth start out of this thing, maybe I've been spoiled with power and torque.

First stop we made after unloading from the truck was gas station because it was very empty. Start filling up and a guy comes running over from the Euro car shop next door. He's a fairly recent Polish immigrant who grew up with 126s and told me stories about cruising the autobahn at 140kph with his entire family crammed in the thing. Also gave me some tips about common issues and temporary fixes to get home. I guess we found our shop if there's anything I don't feel like tackling.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Raluek posted:

I think this is true of all beaters

:drat: What year is that? There's a red and white one I drive by once and a while, really like the body style.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Raluek posted:

Mine's a '60. That body style is '57-'60. '57 has single headlights, '58 has a plain hood with emblem and kinda meshy grille, '59 has a similar grille to mine but mesh in the hood where mine has slots, and has "F O R D" spelled out instead of the badge in the hood.

Thanks. This one has "F O R D" across the front

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Anjow posted:

The 3 series fit my big dog in the back, whereas this will comfortably fit two.

I've become a big fan of the linings from https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/, perfect fit, waterproof, and the last one was durable enough that it served 3 years in the E91 then 3 years in the F31! Not affiliated with them in any way.
I did not know something like this existed, sadly they do not make one for our primary mutt hauler.

Great looking wagon/estate.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Dang that looks good

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

We were feeling foolish earlier this month so we towed the Fiat 1850 miles round trip to Wisconsin to play in the snow. Little thing does great with all the weight hanging over the rear but good luck steering. Heater is great, at a low of -23F we had to have the windows cracked driving around in sweatshirts. Not small dog for scale

Have washed it twice since the trip, going for a third time this weekend to make sure I get as much salt off as possible

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Messaso posted:

If anyone's not sure what this is: 1985 Austin Mini, 998cc, 4 speed, 0-60? yes, suspension? literally some hard chunks of rubber. British icon and still just cheap enough for people getting into classics to own and mess around with.
Mines almost stock, 35k miles, wider wheels, performance intake exhaust & carb needle, electronic ignition. Dyno'd a few months back at 42bhp but hey who needs big power when your car fits in your pocket???

Great looking car, another car I've always wanted to own. Miss my old roommate and the ever cycling inventory of minis he was working on for friends and customers.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone heading to US129/Dragon hit it midweek to avoid traffic and getting stuck behind someone doing 15mph for the whole thing. There's a ton of nice roads in the area as well that are less well known and have less traffic. Also hit the Cherohala skyway and foothills parkway for less tight turns but better flow and views.

Nyc_tattoo and opengl128 thanks for purchasing photos and supporting the photographers that sit out there all day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

davebo posted:

Do they tell you what corners the photographers will be at, because I'd pay for one if I could throw my hands up with a huge smile like those dudes in that miata track photo.

Each photographer has a few corners they rotate between, a few of the corners you can see them in advance. Otherwise most people that visit are going to be making a few passes in each direction so even if you're not familiar with the road you will kind of know if they're coming up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

After swearing I would never own a black on black car for daily use, deciding I was going to stick to EV for commuting duty and was going to stick to formula and sports racers for track use I bought this.

2006 Cayman S manual with 92.6k miles which will be my daily and see a couple track days a year. I was looking at 70's 911s but the prices are a bit more than I felt comfortable spending for a 50 year old car and this will probably be a better commuter.

edit: we now have flat 6, inline 6 and V6 engine configurations

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 26, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

Flew to Pittsburgh early this morning to pick this beauty up. 2018 Jag XF S Sportbrake. AWD Supercharged 3L V6. Road tripping it back to Austin over the weekend, this thing eats miles. I was worried about it being hungry, but the 300ish miles I did today I averaged 30mpg. Almost as good at the GTI it's replacing.

Super comfortable, very quiet, seats fit my fat rear end, yeah I love this car. I didn't feel tired climbing out of it this evening. Suspension is surprisingly comfortable, and I was able to wring it up on a desolate stretch of highway and hear the whine. Honestly only downside is the awful exhaust it's got on it hiding the whine at low speeds. I'll need to switch it out at some point.

It's funny, I remember seeing/reading about these at one point then forgot they existed just like everyone else. Then this weekend while out for a drive I saw one. That's a good looking car in person as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

wzm posted:

Off topic, but is there a premium on used cars with the Recaro/BBS/Bilstein package? I've thought about selling my ND2 with those options, but all the trade-in calculators and Carmax/Carvana/etc. estimates don't have that package listed, so the offers I get are not that great.
There should be, I know when I was looking for one years ago they demanded a bit more. That's a special enough car it's worth taking a little time to post it here or to enthusiast group instead of carvana/carmax/etc and you'll probably get more.

MetaJew posted:

I'm listening, and ready to make you a similar not-that-great offer if it's not black and you're located in Texas. ;)
Shipping cars isn't that expensive, about $0.50 per mile open transport and $1 per mile enclosed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

toplitzin posted:

If love to know where you're getting these quotes from.

Everyone I've talked to about moving the Subaru has quoted $1.25-1.50/mile for open transport.

U-ship.com to get a general price range then manually check the big transport companies. I used Sherpa Auto Transport to move the Cayman across the country, 2450 miles enclosed for $2400. Open transport was going to be around $1500 but the car didn't have enough ground clearance for that to work.

I also have a broker I've used in the past, PM'd you their information slack. Didn't use them this time because she was on vacation and didn't get back to me until after I had everything lined up.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 2, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

Over the season I swapped out the old stock front rotors for these two piece girodisc ones that are fantastic until the fluid gives up on you.

Those sure are nice :swoon: Do you have any ducting? Evo has a bit of weight but track pads, high temp fluid and some ducting should be good.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Doggo learned to open his own window.
Doggo in a M wagon, nice.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

Old photo but it’s the best one I have on my phone.

Thanks! I have track pads and am using rbf600 but I haven’t put ducts in yet. It only happens at Pocono; the straight in the configuration I’ve run in is really too short to properly cool everything off and the rest of the track is heavy on the brakes. I actually tried different lines this year with different, shorter, and more abrupt braking points which did help a bit but not enough.

I’ll probably put in ducts over the winter; take out the fog lights for the openings.

Good looking car. those things are a lot of fun on track. Definitely look at ducting, sure it's one track now but as you get faster it'll be more tracks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Stretching the legs on the farm truck like it's my goin to town rig.

Great looking truck, looking back in your thread you've really improved it since the early days.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 25, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Took the E28 for groceries Sunday morning, wife grabbed a pretty good shot. Then went to a small car show fundraiser event later in the day. I've put around 300 miles on it in the last two weeks just cruising around on the weekend.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Full Collapse posted:

Current state of things:

Those wheels and that color are :discourse:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Theophany posted:

Drove 6 hours to Edinburgh, stayed in a Premier Inn on an industrial estate and had a lovely meal. A worthwhile sacrifice of a Sunday to collect and drive home in this.

Though anybody buying a V8 at these petrol prices has, at best, a tenuous relationship with their sanity.
Audi has been putting out some good looking cars lately, especially the S-line. That's a good looking autobahn stormer.

Thom ZombieForm posted:

After a 5? Month wait, my ct4 blackwing has finally arrived at the dealership. Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow

Probably overpaid for a ceramic coat but was amazed to find a dealer offering msrp in 2022
Things I did not expect to say in 2022, dang that's a good looking new Caddy.

After a less than great experience with the 1979 Fiat we picked up on Thanksgiving 2020 my wife was looking to try again and with nice spring weather she really wanted a convertible. This little thing popped up on fb marketplace about a half hour from us, test drove it on the 20th and brought it home on the 22nd. 1985 VW Cabriolet with the little 1.8L and a 5-speed, nice cloth interior. Odometer, with broken gears of course, shows 79k miles but overall condition I'd guess it's in the 80-90k range or maybe 100k. Paint is in good shape, interior is really good other than some strange trim damage. Will be something to tinker with and she wants to learn basic auto maintenance with it. Runs good other that right when it starts, smells overly rich.

Grabbed this picture before we pulled out the seats to rug-doctor them and everything else. Once we get it back together and cleaned up I'll post some more pictures.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I am not a smart man and therefore I did something very stupid...

Crappy, just drove it home from being delivered, pictures for now. 1997 Caterham 7 with a RaceLine built Zetec-R on ITBs. It makes glorious sounds, the clutch is very heavy, the brakes are un-assisted and mildly spooky, the transmission tunnel gets very warm and it's stupid quick. Needs some clean up and attention, probably a new battery as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I demand to hear that intake symphony
PO said he liked riding instead of driving because you can hear the intake. I'll slap a gopro on the passenger side cage rail and take it for a spin. I can just barely hear the intakes over the exhaust which is loud and only a couple feet from your head, I'll be wearing ear plugs most of the time I think.

MetaJew posted:

Where do you go about finding them?

KakerMix posted:

Probably buying them sight unseen off the internet like the pros :c00l:
Kaker isn't wrong... I'm in a dozen lotus, caterham, westfield, birkin and kit car groups on FB. I've also had alerts on ebay for most of a decade to tempt me occasionally. This one popped up in New Hampshire on one of the more active Caterham groups, after probably annoying the hell out of the seller with questions and picture requests I bought it without seeing it in person until it arrived.

Voltage posted:

Side pipes!! That thing fuckin rules, do a burnout.
Side pipe LOUD when you're driving but my wife followed me home and said it's quieter than the Locost and maybe quieter than the Cayman which has an aftermarket exhaust. Burnouts and drift days will be happening, it came with a 15+ year old spare set of tires. No better way to get a feel for a car than sliding it around a track.

GOD IS BED posted:

Very rad car, but uh, is the shifter under the dash? Do you gotta stretch to reach the odd gears, or does it just look weird in the pics?
It is under the dash but it's the worlds stubbiests shifter and only has a couple inches of throw so it works. The car is so small there's no reaching for anything really. Your hand is partially under the dash for R/1/3/5 gears. The parking brake, yes it has one, is also under the dash...on the firewall of the passenger side and you pull it towards yourself. Added pics to end of post.

Before this I had the Locost powered by a Yamaha R1 engine, it was fun but I could never trust it 100% and it was pretty crude even compared to this thing. I had originally been looking for an older more original and lower powered car, wanted something with a Ford Crossflow engine and had passed on a couple with the Rover k-series 1.4L but this one popped up and... Paid a bit more than I planned to spend for a toy, most I've paid for any car in my life to get the least amount of car. This car feels smaller than the Locost even though dimensionally it's nearly identical.

I'll probably start a thread at some point for this and other projects. Want to do a full fluid replacement, general clean up and see if I can adjust a few things.

edit: shifter...
Third/Fourth/First

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 8, 2022

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Darchangel posted:

I will have, or at the very least, drive one of those before I die.
I'd very much like a rotary-powered one, because rotary. I guess that would actually be a Locost, but still.

Good news, some crazy guy went off and built a "bunch" of rotary powered ones called a Rotus 7. I believe they tend to be slightly roomier and pop up for sale once and a while. Seems like a nearly perfect power plant for such a light car.

Some good info and discussion on this one that went across BaT in December - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-rotus-super-7/
This one has been for sale for a few months out in Oregon - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/557898818946997

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

Oh man. That's the guy who lives like 20 minutes from me. His "craftsmanship" has been featured in my thread.
Like the time he mixed S4 and S5 parts in the Red 92 RHD engine, then blamed the customer when the motor exploded after 30 min later.
Or the time he "converted" a 88 GXL to fuel injection, by JBwelding the injector holes kinda shut, folding+zip tying bare wires into pins, and using JB weld to "rebuild" the carb.
Also the same fantastic gentleman who took money from the local rotary club to build a motor for weekend racing, which lasted 30 minutes....
And then did the exact same thing to three other local rotary race teams.

0/10 - would not touch it with a 10ft pole.

:aaa: Remind me to run any auto purchases from that region by Spyder, especially if rotary. That man has left a trail of destruction and sadness from the sound of it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Backed my car onto the beach just far enough to get a photo, with no plan if I got stuck. Did not get stuck. Did get the photo.

Don't be a tease, we need more info and pictures of that beauty :justpost:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

joat mon posted:

Amen, but I'll take a cool evening.

That color fits the car so perfect

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Slow but extremely tossable, those are fun little cars on a tight road. I didn't realize the frunk was so small on those, that's pretty funny

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Good car in a good color for a good doggo

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nice morning to drive the 7 in, still splattered with bug guts from my last early morning drive. Makes everything else on the road look absolutely massive. The chrome mirror needs to be replaced, it's useless and ugly.

Only complaints at this point are the transmission tunnel gets really warm, 115F in the pedal box, and due to the filler neck design it is an absolute pain to fill at the pump.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Heat reflective tape is worth a look, or an actual metal heatshield if there's room. Is there a flap inside the filler neck?

I'm going to look at a few materials to line the transmission tunnel with, would also be nice to increase air flow through the tunnel. I don't think there's a flap but I need to check and verify, neck turns down 90 degrees right behind the opening so it's mostly splash back I think.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Woke up too early yesterday and it was pouring rain so I did what any reasonable person would do and went for a drive with no particular destination in mind. Ended up at the overlook around sunrise and by the time I got to the NC end the rain had changed to a nice light drizzle. Such a well balanced car in the wet and almost no traffic.

great drive, bad picture

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Washed it on a nice warm overcast afternoon. Need to bug my friend about finishing the detail and ceramic coating before it gets much colder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Dogleg first :viggo:
Is it though? Looks like a standard H pattern with a granny/crawling gear