Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Torque Steer Madness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been casually posting here for a long time and didn't know you had an actual non-just-gently caress-around-car. Cool.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
How different does a gated shifter feel? I'm going to hope it feels as good as it looks.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

drat.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just bought 2 transit vans for the company I work for. The 1/4 ton and 3/4 ton models have both been great so far, way more room than the classic Chevy vans and way better gas mileage.

The promaster is strange...a front wheel drive van made by the French in seattle scares me.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hard bodies are the bees. Lood looking truck. LSD in the rear?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
That blue is just...swoon worthy.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

'Come with me if you want to live'

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cool dad.jpg

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
That Prelude is awesome man. One of my favorite looking cars.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looks cool.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thats very nice looking.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jymmybob posted:

New ride acquired. Turns out having 2 SUVs, however fast, is not a replacement for a sports car.

Dang, cool.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Got a free beater

It seems like the quintessential 90's truck. Lifted, BFG's, Pioneer Premier CD player, some sort of exhaust, those dumb step stool things hanging off the side, random amounts of diamond plate here and there...

Runs OK, brakes like poo poo, steers like poo poo, slow as poo poo. 114k though...

Its loving awesome in the recent snow we've had in Seattle. I now own 3 vehicles made before the year 2000.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nissan HB's are the best pickup trucks ever.

That and the VG30 era Pathfinders...whooo what a great vehicle.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Carpet in a truck is loving dumb. Just put a moving blanket on the truck bed lining if you move a delicate thing?

Tonneau covers are dumb too. Just get a canopy.

It's not against groupthink or whatever if it's actually a dumb thing.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Vital Signs posted:

This is exactly the type of answers I was looking for. I greatly appreciate it and have a local place with good reviews lined up for a full details inside and out. I guess my other question is, what best practice can I do between details to make the detail last?

I've been told that a place that doesn't clay your car before polishing isn't truly detailing it...

That said, I don't value my time and love painful menial labor so who knows.

Keeping car clean for me involves a double bucket wash job with a silt catch once in a while.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Withnail posted:

Just picked up this 03 Tahoe with 110k miles from a fire dept. Will be using as a weekend warrior work truck. A/C started working with a recharge cannister.

I'd like to throw some money at it because it was so cheap, but I don't know what. New shocks maybe?

Rad truck.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah that's dope. Beater small trucks are becoming my favorite type of transportation.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

crutt posted:

I’m dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YepyWMdsts8

dumb as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPNkpuW18M8

Just got the driveshaft delivered a few days ago but I’m still out of state for work. Hopefully I’ll have it moving under it’s own power real soon.

Hell yea

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
More pics of that s3 needed.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
That gen prelude has to be one of my favorite car designs ever. Had my eye on a black sh a couple years ago but the seller was skeevy...I’d still buy one in a heartbeat. Awesome find!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Tough lesson to learn. Sorry dude that’s super lame. Echoing what other say and urge not so spend money on it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Figure, you've already done a Volvo, why not double down and try a Saab?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just getting tetnus from hanging my arm out the window, no biggie.

Actually i suppose any number of things are going to send you to the ER on that car. gently caress yea.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hahahaha goddamn these last couple pages have been loving amazing. God bless yall.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
louvers on the miata made me do a little shirt pull at the neck. awoooooga.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
whoah sick

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bought a Ranger and then drove it with my girlfriend from Seattle to Redwood NP, then to Crater Lake NP and then home, playing disc golf, looking at sea lions and drinking beers along the way. 1200 miles on this trip and about 4k total now.

The truck is comfortable enough and has no trouble getting to trail heads. Having said that, I'll keep my GX for a bit. The automatic transfer case is taking some getting used to and it will bottom out on deeper creek crossings. Flipside is that it's got no problem going 80 all day and feels pretty tight. Has enough safety stuff that's easy enough to turn off. Pretty basic, kinda boring rig that can tow some stuff and haul a little. Exactly what I was wanting and I'm happy with it, but the 320hp, 355tq tune is calling my name and the price can't be beat.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

god this blows posted:

I have a ‘20 Tremor with the Ford Performance tune and it was quite a dramatic difference. I just hit 5k miles on it in just about a year and love driving that thing. Rough roads don’t phase it at all.

Can you expand on the warranty tied to the tune? Does it kick your warranty out another 3 years?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

god this blows posted:

I had it done at the dealership and they said it just went alongside the factory warranty.

Thank you for this information. Also post the ranger.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Holy cow, lot of amazing cars in this thread recently!

Had an excuse to help a buddy who needed a winch to move some poo poo around. Haven't taken the old GX out in almost a year but of course it started right up and jammed down to Chelan, getting what couldn't be more than 10MPG...

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

GramCracker posted:

From my research, how the car currently sits is almost exactly how it arrived from Japan when first imported in late 2019. There's a ton of HKS stuff on the car - from the exhaust manifold, to the coilovers, to a 6 speed sequential box, etc. so someone in its previous life clearly set the car up right. When translated, the auction sheet suggests the possibility of the car having a "2.7 specification, internal remodeling?", and given how the car was/is setup, and caliber of parts found on the car, I'm leaning towards it being true...like, it just kinda makes sense when you add all the parts on the car together and how clean it is. That said, the only real way I can figure that out is by popping off the oil pan or just completely opening the motor.

This fall, before I happened across the car, the previous owner had performed a literal no expense spared maintenance. Some recent work includes, but is not limited to, a new GTX3582R turbo, installation of a triple fuel pump setup, a Haltech Elite 2500 ECU, upgraded wiring harnesses, twin disc clutch, custom one-piece drive shaft, and installation of a fully rebuilt donor OEM 5 speed by PPG in Australia. The amount of work performed is stupid, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I read this in my head in the voice of the Volkswagen kid in the fast and the furious and uttered a ‘no fair’ at the end. Goddamn this car is so cool just make a thread and post pictures so I can live my GT4 childhood out.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Washed the pollen away (again)

Whole car is so devisive.

Like if you like it, you are cool and if you dont you are bad.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
this is like that dude that used to post a picture of his Fiat or whatever with the bike on it constantly, but this is actually cool.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Its wild that even with absolutely giant wheels (22"?) the Wagoneer manages to look ungainly and top heavy. Like it might just topple over one way on another for any reason, probably onto a smaller and therefore lesser car.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Steve French posted:

:homebrew:

Exhaust tips are a hack, not sure yet how temporary

I don't understand the front steering linkage...doesn't it need another attatchment to the frame to not go all wacky when turning at speed? Or does that not matter for a solid axle? I don't know poo poo about poo poo, this is a genuine question.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's not actually a solid front axle, which is part of why the steering linkage looks/is so janky even from the factory. It's "Twin Traction Beam" or "Twin I Beam" and is well loved for being very durable while allowing a shitload of mostly-independent suspension travel, which makes it popular with people trying to go fast in the desert.

The steering geometry of TTB can be charitably described as "dogshit". That huge suspension travel also comes with huge changes in toe and bump steer.

Ohhhh, very cool, thanks for explaining.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Kind of been on a kick...

The 900 seems like it's decent overal condition, the interior is very nice and I like the blue, which wasn't offered for the Turbo, AFAIK. It's slow, even compared what what my brain recalls my old 900 Turbo being in my youth. It also the most fun I've had driving in the past 10 years. Really enjoyable to just poot around in, comfortable, smelly, mile long gear throw...everything that rules about driving old cars.

I'm replacing the motor mounts on my 9-3 Aero XWD and giving it to my mom. Holds a record shortest ownership period for me, I never even re-titled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Those cars are aging so gracefully. Nice work!