Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
My daily driver ('95 Volvo 850):

The project ('66 Thunderbird-currently on hiatus, maybe headed to the scrap heap due to rust cancer):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

I'd shop for another less rusty one and save that one for a parts car. It looks like it has a lot of good chrome and glass on it. Or at least try to part it out before smashing it.

I'll definitely save the good parts if I decide that the body is shot-all of the glass is original and in good shape, and the interior parts would be fine with a little elbow grease and a new headliner, and perhaps a dye job on the dash. I figure I'll probably cut off the rear quarter panels (which are shot) and see what lurks underneath before proceeding further, if I ever get started on it again.

Living 150 miles away from it sucks. :(

On the plus side, if it does turn out to be past hope, my grandparents have a '77 Lincoln Town Car coupe that's only got about 80,000 miles on it, and it's essentially rust-free-it might be fun to desmog/rebuild its 460 and see what happens. :D

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 10, 2009

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Overpriced Balloons posted:

My '95 Volvo 850 Turbo outside my mechanic's shop. This thing has about 180k on it and still looks new:

:aaa:

That car is a thing of beauty.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Finally had time to wash my 245 instead of shuttling it back and forth to the shop:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
It was unseasonably warm today, so I figured I'd take a few pics of the 245:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Love the backgrounds for the pictures. Where is that, an old factory?

Portions of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens_Lunatic_Asylum

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

Also, the TB building is not as creepy as everybody says it is. I see they patched the fence and window up again.

From that distance, you can't see that people have broken through the fence in a couple spots. One's sealed off with a bed frame that's padlocked to the fence, but the other is still wide open.

It's not creepy, except when you're driving around up there out of boredom at 3AM and you stumble across it without knowing that it's there. That spooked me a little, but during the daytime, it's oddly peaceful, which goes for the whole complex, really.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

I really need to clean up those rock chips.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Here's my '89 Volvo 240.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

Like the Ridges photo. Still have the wagon?

Nah, I traded it for this car. It was too rusty to drive all through an Ohio winter; I suspect that the quarter panels and spare tire wells would have simply evaporated from the salt.

It's not as cool, but it's been way more reliable.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Installed a set of Euro headlights on my 240 over the weekend:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Just got this 2000 V70R (click for big):

I had it shipped in from NC, and I paid too much given the issues it has, but it's still a solid car and it should be pretty nice with some work. It needs many of the same things my V70XC did when I got it, so at least I know what I'm in for, but they changed a lot between 1998 and 2000 so it should be interesting to see how much of my knowledge carries over. I guess I could start a thread if anyone's interested...

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I washed my V70R and took it out for a drive today. I really like this car. :)

e: I like this pic better

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 25, 2014

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

El Scotch posted:

That's extraordinary.

I think they imported a few more than that. I've got a 2000 R and I've seen a couple others in Columbus, which isn't exactly teeming with older Volvos, so unless we have all 3 in the country there must have been more. :v:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
If you have a source on that I'm glad to be proven wrong, but everything I've read suggests that manual V70Rs weren't available in the US until the 2004 model dropped. I don't think the 2000 R was available with a manual transmission anywhere in the world. There are a few that have been swapped, though.

e: 2000 V70 T5Ms are super rare and there were only a handful imported, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Ah, that must be what I was thinking of then, yeah. Not the R but the T5 V70s :hurr: It's been a while since I went delving into Volvo records on that stuff, my bad.

No worries, part of the problem is that Volvo is fairly cagey about production figures for specific models so most of the info out there is speculative at best.

Since this is a pic thread here's my R:

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 1, 2016

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Yesterday I bought this:

And these:

And this:

I'll put a project thread together once I've done something more exciting than putting it into my garage and staring at it.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Cleaned up my V70R for the first time in way too long and proceeded to hard-park it: