Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

It may just be that we don't get many Pontiacs on this side of the Atlantic, but where the devil is the air intake on that thing? It's not really visible anywhere in that pic, but I'm guessing a hood scoop?
I don't know for sure on the Firebird/Firehawk, but I know that a number of other modern GMs (J-bodies, at least) get their air intake from the inner fenders. Part of the trend started by the Taurus to reduce visible grille. Cooling probably comes from the underside.

e: Come to think of it, I have seen Firebird Trans Ams with hood scoops, though, so I'm not sure where this one gets it.

e #2:

Click here for the full 650x490 image.

Just the angle of the shot. :(

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What is it with you guys? Grabber Blue looks fantastic. It even looks good on the F-150, something I didn't think possible. Hockey stripes would make it pop more, but it looks good as is.

I didn't realize they were selling the 2010s already, I haven't seen one on the road yet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Synapsis posted:

A continuous work in progress

There's some guy here with an FFR Cobra kit that he just got finished putting together. He says he has to wear earplugs while driving, otherwise the 100+ dB sidepipe exhaust note at pretty much anything over idle makes his ears feel like they are coming apart.

I'd probably, oh, put mufflers on mine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Blow Dog posted:

Accelerating full throttle in any of the first 3 gears in this car is akin to nailing the rear legs of a cat to the floor and witnessing it trying to scrabble away, claws and all.
You should make a thread about this car, too, for us unfortunate North Americans who will never see one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

grnberet2b posted:

I would suspect you'd meet a couple of marked cruisers before you made it there. At least, that would be what I would anticipate in my area.

accepted practice(source #2) seems to be - Call 911, tell them an unmarked car has signaled you to stop, and you would like to verify that this is a legitimate unmarked car.
I was told in driver's ed to put my four-ways on, indicating that I acknowledge the police officer, and then stop wherever I feel is safest. It's one of those squishy human interactions where you have to maintain a certain degree of trust - obviously, don't put on the hazards and then light it up going around a corner.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Plus, I like the way matte black steelies look, at least on my car.
I love how steelies look. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Method Loser posted:

And about it being ready in two weeks, shouldn't it have been ready like 5 years ago? :v:
You could always start a project (with an appropriate handicap considering his head start) and race him to completion of it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ssh posted:

I need my head examined.
Man, you must really love Saabs. How many do you have, three?

Would you ever date a woman who drove a Volvo, or would your love for rival Swedish motors be too strong?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ssh posted:

Now imagine trying to dig the fucker out with two electrical-tape wrapped screwdrivers while cursi...ahaha who am I kidding people who own jags don't own screwdrivers; their manservant or gardner might.

How to tow a Jaguar equipped with an electronic shift lever.

Looks like a goddamned ordeal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Blow Dog posted:

Picked it up yesterday!
Woohoo - you guys really need to hear this bitch.
I'm pretty jealous. How about some video footage?

I think I still would prefer the GT3RS but I guess the Gallardo is an actual streetable car as opposed to a rabid beast someone leashed with a piece of twine.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 8, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Wamsutta posted:

We really need more pictures and information. That is loving awesome.
I want more pictures of that driveway and garage!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

eeenmachine posted:

I'm a major geek so I got a 2010 Tesla Roadster 2.5 a few months ago.
Pure electric sex.

Jealous, though I really would miss my stick shift. Is 2.5 the version number? Do they have more than one version per year?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We got a free one at the start of last summer...

Shame, because it sounded completely amazing when it was running. I wish I could have given it an actual race at least once in its life.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I was referred to Dip Your Car to buy the spray stuff, though Home Depot carries it where I live. I know offroaders have been doing it to their wheels for years. The nice thing is that if you damage it, you can just spray more on and the nick is healed.

In the worst case you can just pull it off in a sheet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

nutnmunch posted:

You might get poo poo for those wheels, but for the record, I think they look awesome. :colbert:
The local Subaru club does that kind of day-glo highlighter stuff for their winter beater wheels (in some sort of perversion of "loud pipes save lives").

It looks really good in the snow but kind of awkward in the dry, I think.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

Hell yes. Are those Pug wheels?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wondered how long it would take until a goon showed up with one of those. Do you have any exterior pictures? I've always wanted to see one in person but they didn't sell them in North America.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

Our Focus' "sea of browns"

It's still hilarious to me that Ford thought to make a removable faceplate on the OEM radio, but then half-assed it and just made it so you can only remove a few of the buttons.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

b0nes posted:

What car is this? I only know of 2 that have G Meters (Skyline/GT-R and Chevy Corvette).
I think some of the SRT8 LX cars had g-meters to go along with their 0-60 meters as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
To be fair, I'm surprised there hasn't been a "style" movement to try and make all modern Japanese cars look more like their econobox 70s and 80s cousins.

Black plastic bumpers, narrow tiny steel wheels, extra ride height, two foot tall lettering about the car's valve quantity and induction method, bizarre shades of teal and brown... the possibilities are endless.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you're kinda close to the Canadian border I bet you can get a ton of spare parts for those. I see a shitload of JDM Soarers every summer, and usually at least one or two half-cuts showing up in local junkyards.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I really have to stop going to auctions.
Nice truck (too bad about the 'mods'). Still got your WRX?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 17, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How much has that thing been raced? I love having a Subaru that's seen more miles than most normal-people cars do plus more racing than most Subarus do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The stock exhaust on Neon SRT-4's is like this, sounds fantastic. No mufflers from the factory. Just a cat and a tiny resonator. Too bad everyone 3" straight pipes them and they sound like tractors.

:smith:
I read a story from the principal engineer who worked on the exhaust for the SRT-4; he got pulled over by police and refused to believe him that the exhaust wasn't aftermarket, even after he cracked out his business card. I think it ended with the officer calling Chrysler and getting his voicemail.

It's too bad how gross SRT-4s have gotten in the hands of the people who can now afford them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I saw a gorgeous 164 today at Mr. Sub but your 75, even ratty, is much nicer looking. The fenders. Why did we not get these?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That car is completely awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

I like the idea of pressure sensitive lighting on the rear. Like full-pressure is amazingly bright versus the normal high illumination level for regular braking.

I usually double or triple tap the brakes when traffic is stopping in front of me on the highways to make sure my little Miata gets noticed before becoming the cream filling between two trucks.
I like that some of the newer Euro cars will put the emergency lights on when you have an "OH poo poo" braking episode.

It's pretty hilarious on the track too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, I forgot what tastefully modified bugeyes looked like. Very nice.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I get constant poo poo about the Honda wheels. They've been on my last three cars (all Hondas) and I don't care.
Just pop out the centre caps and probably nobody could ever tell.

Nothing wrong with fixing up a cheapo car like that. Shows that it can be more than just transportation.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Sweet jesus, just checked used prices. Seems like a good deal compared to a WRX.

Don't forget about the insurance savings either.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

eberbs posted:

Nice!
Heres mine

Not on the road yet, needs the bottom end rebuilt.
Why are you posting on the internet instead of fixing it right now?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We need video of that Neon. We demand it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

GramCracker posted:

I want one of those Mini Cooper looking van things sooo badly.
djcommie's dad has one. He had to drive it across the country to drop it off for his parents, I'm sure he has a ton of opinions on them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
At first I thought you were still in Canada and started to literally vibrate in my chair with excitement.

But that is still totally awesome. You should do burnouts and film them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There was a gorgeous one like that in my old neighborhood but it wasn't that nice. That's incredible.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Congratulations on getting such a lovely vehicle. What are your plans?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I guess it's time for a new version of the 510 thread, Blooot. :)

I spent a few weeks looking seriously into how I could swing it in my climate and came away convinced that I would basically need to build a dedicated garage for it and lock the little fucker up in the winter, or basically strip it down to a bare bodyshell, make any repairs, and do my own weatherproofing and paint and still not let it out in the winter. There are still a few diehards who make the sacrifice (though the 240/260/280Z seems much easier to keep alive than a 510). I'm endlessly jealous of anyone who can pull it off, whether here or there.

Great little cars, though. If work ever moves me to, say, California I'm going to have one purchased before the plane lands.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It looks gorgeous, finally has an interior to match the exterior. What kind of reaction do you get from people on the street?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Just throw an upgraded relay harness and some ridiculous wattage bulb in there and H4 becomes pretty tolerable.

For awhile I was street driving 85W/100W rally bulbs, until I finally figured out that changing the bulbs because the lowbeam burns out every 4 months sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Still a good looking car. Do they change out the wheels depending on the package in the US too or is that just a Canada thing?