Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Behold my Godzilla!

Update: Syfon shot!

Taaaaaaarb! fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Throatwarbler posted:

Wash it? It will just get dirty again. :3:

I was wondering when I was going to see your Evo, TW.

As an aside, am I seriously the only goon on AI that owns a goddamn Skyline GT-R?!

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Okay, now I have a question for the mysterious and mythical porter: I saw you owned an SLR once and I was just curious to know if there are any particular, over-arching issues with newer Benz's in general. From what I can glean through the powers of the Interwebs, they seem pretty badass. Am I missing something?

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Gonna put up a couple more pics of it before I sell the drat thing. I just haven't had too much luck with this car :(

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

RealKyleH posted:

How so?

I bought her in '06 with 177K km's on it; also known as "my first mistake." In the short time I've owned her, the clutch slave and master had to be replaced after 3 days (1 month of downtime). Then the engine puked after two months. That got replaced along with a fresh trans (1.5 years of downtime) and then 5 months later, the clutch slave and master went out AGAIN along with the clutch booster (5 more months of downtime)! In the three years I've owned it, I've only driven her for about a year. Most of the time was spent waiting for or saving up for parts. Now I have a pretty much mechanically solid car, which I have this little niggling fear that it will crap out on me again (though chances are it won't).

Not that I don't like how it drives or anything (it's really fast and corners great, even for stock save for the downpipes and exhaust), but the car has just been too much bullshit, too quickly! I would have liked to have done some upgrading/modifying to the car and I know two guys in town with their tweaked GT-R's laying down about 500 WHP with no block/head work, but there is just way too much to do on this car for someone as inexperienced as I am (in other words, I had to find someone to do the fixes mentioned above). Along with any upgrading that I can/want to do, I HAVE TO do bodywork (rust :gonk: ), replace the brakes, work on the suspension... the list goes on!

This was the first sports car I've ever bought and was a hard learning experience. I'll probably end up going JDM again for my next car, as right now I'm aggressively searching for JZX90 Toyota Mark II Tourer V's on the Internet with low km's. I'd rather start with a blank slate in good working order and go from there, rather than deal with any problems as I still have to drive the goddamn car. I figure I'd end up selling the car to someone who will either run it into the ground, transform it into a monster or total it. Place your bets!

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Is it a turbo or an NA? I sort of want to buy an N/A 4wd one and see what I could do to the engine without turboing it.

Sorry I have a weird fetish for N/A Jap cars, I want an N/A 300ZX and everything. I really love the whole early 90s Japanese sports cars but most of them have been so poorly maintained or are generally not that reliable that it'd be nice to have a decently performing one without all the twin turbo bullshit.

Don't even bother with the NA variants of any of the 90's Japanese sports cars. In most cases, they cannot or will not tolerate the same stresses as their forced induction siblings without considerably expensive and intensive engine work, or else not at all. NA GTO's fall into the former category. For instance, all NA GTO's were FWD and the 6G72 needs to have a few things done to it internally and externally in order for it to handle unnatural aspiration (mainly dropping the compression ratio), but it's still a mixed bag and wrong-wheel drive. NA JZA80 Supras fall into the latter category (2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE have different blocks entirely).

The only Japanese NA cars that can handle forced induction with minimal engine buildup that I've heard of are Hondas, but those really depend on the level of boost and they all require some engine tweaking. The NA 300ZX is also pretty decent as the VG30DE is very similar to the VG30DETT but again, it'll take some engine work in order for it to handle boost.

Just get one that came turbocharged and do a turbo upgrade. That way you'll know the engine will handle the boost without breaking a sweat AND make great power.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

For most of those turbo cars, I'd basically be happy with the stock engine, maybe an exhaust, decent suspension, and some solid tires. I just wish they weren't such crapshoots buying used.

Japanese sports cars that came with either blown or NA variants had the FI model slotting above the NA one, so you'd really be cheating yourself going for the NA. I reiterate, best NA Japanese sports cars are Hondas, plain and simple. Unfortunately, Honda only makes two that aren't wrong-wheel drive (unless you're cool with an Integra or a Civic Type R) , both will run you at least $20K and only one of them is available as a grey-market import. The only other option is to find a much older car, like a KGPC110 Skyline GT-R or Toyota 2000GT, but they're pretty much collector's items now. I did however find that the NA Z32 can be pretty loving awesome :iamafag:.

I feel your pain, though. This stupid "15-years-or-older" law doesn't make any sense and whenever someone tries to defend it, the law makes even less sense.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

DoesNotCompute posted:

Every time I tell myself I won't read youtube comments it lasts about 2 hours, then I see some video and go "hmm I wonder what people thought about this...Oh they're all loving retarded, I am never reading youtube comments again."

Then it all repeats.

ab0z posted:

You know, I went through the exact same thing, perfectly in sync with you.

My condolences to both of you.

Content: my dad's car. Work in progress, body-off-frame resto 1964 Corvette Stingray. Apologies for lovely Blackberry photo quality.

Frame

Body

Engine (and Dad)

He hopes to be driving it by summer... which is what he said last year :(

(edited for error)

Taaaaaaarb! fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 17, 2009

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

LloydDobler posted:

As a '63, shouldn't that be a split window? I know a lot of people took the split bar out back in the day, but if he's going to this much restoration trouble why wouldn't you put it back in?

WHOOPS! I confuse '63 and '64 drat near every time. It is actually a '64 - my bad.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

_firehawk posted:

I keep thinking to myself that this Vette is terrified that it is being taken apart by a Ford mechanic.

The "Ford mechanic" you are referring to has a lot of memorabilia in his work shop from pretty much everything. He builds custom hot rods and restores classic cars. I think the fact that there were two other corvettes in there at the same time should assuage any fears.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

EvilCrayon posted:

ahem. Swap in a 2JZ-GTE...

Pffff Nah! Just bolt up a procharger to that 1UZ.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

sybir posted:

My two toys.

Do the roof racks add more downforce? :v:

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Xeno posted:

Now with Gransport upgrades

Be this the only Maser owned by a goon? :drat:

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Grimster posted:

The more I read about the new Camaro, and the more I see the new Mustang, I believe if I were going to buy a new car right now, it'd be the Mustang.

Friend of a friend test drove both the new Camaro and the '10 Mustang. The Camaro was typical GM fair: sure it drove "okay," but the finish inside was meh and compared to the 'Stang, the ride didn't quite communicate the road to the driver. The Mustang however was just an amazing little car. Interior finish was great, ride quality was both smooth and agile simultaneously. Maybe it's me, but Ford just seems like a more progressive company, whereas GM (and also Chrysler) seem to be stuck in a bit of an anachronism building cars more fitting of the early 70's. What's really sad is GM used to be on the cutting edge of technological innovation in the automotive sector :(

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

kimcicle posted:

You say that like the rear seats in the G37 are usable.

I don't think the back seats of the Nissan Skyline were EVER usable. Though not as bad as the back seats of the Lexus SC430:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Seriously, how does anyone FIT in there?!

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
edit: nevermind

Taaaaaaarb! fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 5, 2009

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

kimbo305 posted:

awesome. Are those the seats or some weird red crash dummies in the car?

Creepy. You can almost see faces on them :iiam:

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Totally Wacky! posted:

Here she is after a good wash and wax. 1991 Nissan Skyline GTS-t with an RB20DET under the hood.

It's official: Canada is now the home of the R32 Skyline.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

spighettiman posted:

First car woo

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Got it used with 40,000 miles about 2 months ago.

Nice wheels. Anything else done to it?

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

IdentityVoid posted:

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track. Just picked it up on Saturday!

The V6 Genesis Coupes have a sweet throttle note.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Sockington posted:

Wow, that XR-8 has the whole ST205 Celica look going on with that front-end

Click here for the full 428x1260 image.

:monocle:

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

ShaunO posted:

My car still looks like a piece of poo poo but at least it's fast and handles well.

S14 pre-facelift
RB30DET engine.. RB30 block with RB25 twincam head.
All the usual mods.
Should be taking it for tuning & a dyno run this weekend hopefully, trying to chase 280-300kw at the rear wheels.
Not really into drifting or any of that kind of poo poo, I just like the car.

Was the RB swap difficult? I had heard that RB's were too long to fit into Silvias. Also, did you use a regular RB25D head or a NEO head?

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Wait, I thought FR Nissans from the 90s also used the same 5-speed manual transmissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

afen posted:

3B/RR: 147 teeth
ABY/AAN: 151 teeth
ADU: 150 teeth

I've tried shopping around, but everyone sells 151 teeth belts as RS2 belts. I find it pretty amazing that they discontinue such a critical part.

This was a page ago, but did you try these guys?

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-components-audi-i5-20vt-timing-belt-kit-22t-aanabyadu-p-19588.html