Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MiniFoo posted:

I suck at HDR photography. Click for big if you want.

Nice, clean FB. Needs just a little lowering though. Maybe an inch? Could just be the angle of the photo bringing out the 4x4.
Given the wheels, I'll guess it's either a GSL-SE or an SE suspension swap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

uRizen posted:

My 1987 Rx-7 GXL daily driver, soon to be sold. :(

Hang on there... S5 engine swap, or just the intake?
I like that cold air box - simple and effective, should be.
Car looks clean on the top side - much nicer than my poor, abused '90 GXL.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

_firehawk posted:

I am not fond of leaning back, and my seat is already as low as it goes. That said I am 6'2" and the mirror is still a problem.

I have the same problem. My second-gen RX-7 was not built for tall guys - the center rearview is right in my way when I'm at a four-way stop. I pretty much just duck and look under it or lean forward to look around it.
I wish I could get the seat an inch or two lower - a big bump puts my head into the roof, and I've got the seat leaned back a few notches. Any more and it's uncomfortable and starts to get difficult to reach the steering wheel.
Other than that, I don't have much of a problem with blind spots - I adjust my mirrors the way I saw it done in an article in Car And Driver, I believe: basically the side view mirrors only overlap the view in the center mirror by a little. It puts the side views pointing almost straight back with respect to the car, so if a car passes out of view of the center mirror, it should be in the side view, and if it passes out of view of the side view, you should be able to see it in your peripheral vision, or by by turning your head just a little. Using this setup, I'm only surprised by cars when I'm distracted (which does happen occasionally, and I feel extremely stupid when it happens.)

e: found the graphic:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 4, 2012

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

BROOOOOOOWWWWWN

Mazda's finest Burgundy (with a black dash because mine was torn up, and burgundy is hard t o find):

e: Looked like this when I bought it:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

God gave me a sign:

Go forth and upgrade your drums to disc brakes.

Gotta admit, that's pretty awesome.
Now if you could just get your calipers to light up like that (or would that be rice?) :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

AdmiralViscen posted:

Is this the red interior thread?

My '84 RX-7 GSL-SE project car can play as well:

Don't you love how some of the plastics have become brown over the years?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Is it just me, or are those previous-generation Hyundai Sonata taillights?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Steering and brake hydraulics are on the same pump? Who thought THAT was a good idea? I might be retarded, but I'd rather have separate systems, so a brake failure won't also take out my steering or vice versa. If I can't stop at least I want to be able to dodge...

GM uses a system called Hydroboost that uses power steering pressure for brake assist on lots of cars and trucks, particularly diesel trucks. My wife's Astro van had it for space reasons, and we never had any trouble out of it. Ford uses it, too.
In fact, I believe that Hydroboost showed up in the turbo Buick Regals back in the '80s.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

true, but don't you still get brake function (albeit with no power assist) if the unit goes bad, like a vacuum booster? The old bendix ABS system used on the XJs and (from what Goober Peas said, anyways, I might be misunderstanding it) the similar system used on older Audis has a nitrogen charged reservoir and an electric hydro pump plus a large amount of goofy valve crap and other stuff to make it all work with the ABS system, and if your hydro pump fails, you get what amounts to a semi random number of brake applications before the pedal simply goes to the floor and you don't stop. I know that's what happens on the Jeeps, just not sure on the Audis. It's essentially a game of automobile russian roulette and even better, the hydro pump is known for failing frequently, while apparently the "bomb" or nitro-charged reservoir on the Audis is also known for failing frequently.

The Jeep setup was put on an extended warranty after a large number of them failed, but that doesn't do you much good if it pops and sends you to a firey death. Here, have another failure prone part to replace the one that failed!

I guess I really should stop derailing and post some pics of this junk to the horrible failures thread.

What fuckwit would design a brake system that flat out fails if the power-assist doesn't work? That's not only stupid, but a lawsuit waiting to happen.
And, yes, the Hydroboost act just like a vacuum-assisted system if the hydraulic pressure fails/pump dies,, whatever. Stiff, but it still brakes.

Edit - wrong images thread.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

They're not super refined but they look light and purposeful.

Tragic would be chrome. While not brilliant, those are OK.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

The Toronado was longitudinal FWD, wasn't it?

Yep. Drive power made a 180-degree turn through a linked belt to the diff beside the oil pan. Eldorados used the same setup, as did Riviera's when they went FWD in the late '70s, through until about 1986 or so when the W-bodies came out. Then they were all V6s except for the Cadillac.

e,fb, sorta.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm pretty happy with my wife's 2008 KIA Spectra 5, which is basically the same as that Hyundai, I think. Previous generation, but very similar. Hauls kid and dog and stuff just fine. Fortunately, my wife prefers manuals and it's a 5-speed. We did have to have the transmission replaced under warranty November of last year. 1-2 synchronizer disappeared completely. At developed a leak first year of ownership, again fixed under warranty. No other major issues, and many minor ones.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Porkchop Express posted:

Sure does, the car is tits.

Yeah I think they are the same underneath the body, the only difference is styling. I considered the manual but opted for the automatic for convenience and because my girlfriend can't drive a manual.

Teach her to drive manual, and then she can drive almost anything! One of the reasons I married my wife was that she not only knew how to drive a standard, but *preferred* it.

Reminds me of that story about the car-jackers who couldn't steal a lady's car because they couldn't drive a manual transmission.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Heh!
Remembered it wrong, I guess. Just saw the headline or something, most likely.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Porkchop Express posted:

Its not that she doesn't know how, she physically can't. She hurt her left knee years a go and it causes her physical pain to use the clutch for more than a few minutes at a time.

Its all good though, automatics can be a tad more convenient anyways, even if they aren't as fun sometimes.

Ah. That'll do it then.
I'm hoping my knees hold out another 20 years or so. I'd hate to give up all my manuals, and automatic RX-7s are just tragic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I got a Jeep

1995 Cherokee SE - that's the base model. Manual everything, no console, 4-banger, 5-speed. 223k miles, but runs great, and doesn't leave puddles.

I needed a cheap something to haul stuff, and this fit the bill.

Edit: posting pics from an iPad sucks. Crap, I'll fix it when I get back to a computer.
Edit^2: Now with 100% more picture.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 7, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Crossposting from the Jeep thread:

Had my Cherokee washed, clay barred, buffed, and waxed. The shampooed the carpets and seats, too.
I thought the thing looked pretty good before. Now it's all shiny, and I don't know what to do with myself - I've never owned a shiny car before, excepting the wife's ride.

Lookit! Reflections!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The wonders of Body-on-Frame car construction. :allears:

Everyone drive giant pickup trucks because they're safe!

Astros are unibody.
I really liked the 2000 LS model we had before my wife decided she wanted something more efficient. Never mind that the Astro was paid for, and we could have bought a shitload of gas for the cost of the new car payment...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wallaka posted:

Eh, they're kind of a mix. The rear frame rails are integrated into the load floor but they are very beefy, and the front subframe bolts on behind the driver. It's like GM bolted on the wobbly front half of a Malibu to a wobbly packing crate. Or a tall El Camino, now that I think about it.

Nah, El Caminos were full frame.
It's actually closer to a Camaro in platform construction.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InstantInfidel posted:

trying to find a nice vintage-looking receiver

http://www.beckerautosound.com/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Puddin posted:

I've never had tint applied to a car I own, but the one that the previous owner did on my 200sx is dark as gently caress. Like have to roll down the window at night to see dark.

It's amazing at keeping the car cool in the QLD hot summers, but it's just amazingly retarded to see at night, good luck if its raining too.

Yeah, I made the mistake of putting 5% limo tint all around on my '79 RX-7. Great in the Texas summer sun, absolute poo poo to see out at night. Going for 35% ceramic tint on the Jeep. Just as much if not more heat and UV rejection, but you can actually see out at night.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BigBadBrewsta posted:

I bought my first-ever new car last week: a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT. I have to admit, of all the cars I thought would be my first new car, I'm surprised it ended up being this one.

I was looking for something reliable and fuel efficient, but still having at least a small sense of fun and sportiness. The Elantra GT is certainly related to the Elantra Coupe and Sedan... but the GT actually traces its lineage to the Hyundai i30, which was designed in Germany and is sold throughout Europe. I like the European sensibility and the differences in design versus the other Elantras, and I see a lot fewer GTs on the road, too. It's nice to stand out a bit, and I'm already loving the versatility of a hatchback with seats that lay 100% flat.

I was able to get the top of the line model as well: I optioned both the Style package and Tech package on it. (Weird that it's only sold in a single trim level here in the US.) I'm not going to win a race against, well, anyone, but I will be sipping fuel and enjoying leather seats, navigation, and a panoramic sunroof. :)

The Kia Spectra5 was kinda like that: one trim level, and only 4 (IIRC) options. Cheap enough even then. We're still loving my wife's 2008 Spec5. Just got it back from the body shop (she glanced off a car that decided to not go through the yellow after all. Still her fault for following too closely.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

My mom is a slut posted:

I just bought a 1982 RX-7 base model (2000$), with little to no knowledge about rotaries. As a daily driver. I make terrible decisions. :shepicide:
I'm sure I'll come to regret this purchase at some point, but so far god drat do I love everything about this car!
gallery at http://imgur.com/a/JJ6Qj

Nice color. Steelies don't look bad in black on that.
I've daily driven an SA ('79 RX-7) and an S4 FC ('90.) Maintained, they are just as reliable as any other car. 223K miles on my FC, and I got it with a stuck engine, which I successfully unstuck. It's the turbo rotaries that eat engines.
You might want to look at http://wright-here.net/cars/rx7/manuals.html for Workshop Manuals and such (my site.)
http://rx7.foxed.ca/ is also a good resource. Sgt. Fox is also here in AI, I believe.
Also, there's a rotary thread at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3524607

edit: holy gently caress - what did you do to get that username?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 12, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I should note that on rotaries "properly maintained" means first and foremost keeping the oil topped, and the cooling system in good condition. Those two are the number one killers of NA rotaries. Also, take it to redline through the first two or three gears daily, once it's warmed up. Carbon deposits are a Very Bad Thing for rotaries.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Third Man posted:

Nope, car interiors should be black or brown :colbert:

goddamn kids

Super-80s-90s burgundy velour right here. In two different generation RX-7s no less ('84 and '90.) Jeep and Kia have grey innards, and the Cutlass is black. Vinyl. In Texas. Though most of the driver's side of the bench is bare foam, really. Ugh. Gotta fix that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pivit posted:

drat, that looks great.

What is that thing behind it? Art?

Looks like a boiler of some sort.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IronCastKnight posted:

*cough* Hi.

Currently building a high compression E85 1974 Rocket 350 to replace the gutless, worn out slow piece of poo poo 307. Also going to box the frame, rebuild the steering, convert it to a five speed manual, and replace the GM 7.5 2.14 open diff'd rear end with a Ford 9 inch 3.53 LSD one when I pull the engine. Might as well get it all done at once, y'know? Possibly also slap on one of FAST's EZ-EFI throttle body fuel injection systems so I can get something more in the range of gas mileage instead of gas footage.

I approve this project.

IronCastKnight posted:

It's an '85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham, so it came with the hideous eggcrate grills. I acquired a set of aftermarket '86 blade style grills which, aside from their refusal to line up quite right, look a hell of a lot better. Mostly I just need to space out the spring plate from the lovely plastic posts it bolts to, but those are getting kind of disintegrate-y so it'll have to wait until I can glue in some helicoils.

Yeah, those look way better than the egg-crate, for sure.

West SAAB Story posted:

If I didn't know better, I'd say you got my car, but I had the white top and deep blue combo. My 307Y poo poo itself around the 60k mark and it was cheaper to replace than repair. Then I ended up with a $400 '84 Cutlass with the Buick 231, and absolutely no options. At least the seats were comfortable, because I sure wasn't going anywhere fast. :suicide:

I feel your pain. I had an '81 Regal with the 231, e-carbureted. "Not fast" about sums it up. It got a little quicker when I swapped the 2.16? rear for the 2.73 (or was it 3.23) rear from a Chevy Maibu wagon. Big difference. Still not fast, but it could get out of its own way.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

Dear god, you ARE me - circa 21. Let me guess, your dream 442 is a '70 W30? v:v:v

Is there any better 442 than a '70 W30? (Full disclosure, I own a wannabe '70 Cutlass S)

Motronic posted:

There are two, one on each side of the rail mounted on cups and clamped/retained on the rail in a "permanent" fashion.

Someone on jagforums has removed them, machined caps, and silver soldered them on and all is apparently well. I would think cutting the cups off and tig welding it shut would be a better plan, but I'd prefer to do that on ANOTHER rail in case something goes sideways.

Well, that's a stupid design. Let's permanently mount a fail-able part to one that pretty much never fails. And then discontinue the whole thing. At least the pulsation dampers that like to leak and burn down FC RX-7s are replaceable/removable.

Yeah, saw that thing off and weld up the hole.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fingerling posted:

Decided to get rid of my Chaser (haven't managed it yet), so I picked up a 'new' car for the interim until I can get something I really want. For the life of me, I can't tell why you Americans really want Skylines..

This is an '88 R31 Skyline Ti (that means it's a 'luxury model'). Complete with power windows, poo poo-brown interior and sporadically working instrument cluster! Any given time I drive it I can watch the volts fly up, then crash, go from having zero fuel to half a tank or running on a cold engine. At least the oil pressure gauge works. :sigh:

Basically, it's a heavy, slow, uncomfortable, police magnet cheap car for me. Fun to drive though, and I haven't really got any plans for it - hopefully ever.

Eh, we don't really want Skylines, we want GT-Rs, and possibly GT-Ss. And R32 or later, please. Possibly the '70s ones. The Hakosuka in particular looks like a mini-musclecar when outfitted with some nice, wide Watanabes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

My pride and joy, sadly not on the road right now as I can't afford both full-time school and insurance... Sigh.

1990 Chevrolet Beretta GT, 3.1L MPFI V6 (second generation 60-degree, LH0), 3T40 automatic transmission. 25 years old, 115,000 kilometres on the odometer. Bought by my dad five years before I was born, given to me when I got my license. Zero accidents, zero mechanical issues not attributed to "old GM parts in a barely driven car" like a water pump that eventually gave up and was replaced, an exhaust that eventually gave up and was replaced, and a TCC solenoid that-- you get the idea.

Enough yabbering, right? Pictures! Fresh from the driveway. Available in small, medium, and ginormous.

I know people rag on Berettas, but I've always liked the way they looked, particularly the Indy, GTZ, and GTU.

e:typo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

Thanks! Got a driving video done today. Its slow, very very slow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9xG_HBVkZM

Ah, the days when half your suspension was in the seat <boing, boing, boing>.
Also, what the hell is that on your head?

MetaJew posted:

I had a similar experience with a rental Camaro convertible, that I was 'upgraded' to, in a Los Angeles parking garage. Never again.

My '70 Cutlass is 210" long, and I don't have any problems maneuvering it around. 'Course, I've been driving it since 1990. It also weighs less, and has a smaller turning circle than a Charger (the front wheels have more room to turn, so it turns sharper), amazingly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MetaJew posted:

You made me look it up. The 2014 Camaro has a 190" length, and a turning radius of 37.7". But, I'm talking about maneuvering in a cramped and narrow parking garage in a car with terrible visibility. I think everyone will get the hang of where their car is after owning and driving for a while, but as an unfamiliar vehicle it is terrible car stuff.

I'm with you on the visibility. How does anyone see anything out of the mail slots in a Camaro? My Cutlass has nice, big windows. Bit of a blind spot due to the fastback-style C-pillar, but overall not bad.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yerp:

(original red dash was mangled and I couldn't find another one reasonably priced, so it's black for now.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Starkk posted:

Crossposting from the mustang thread:

Bought a '15 DIB Mustang GT w/ performance package and cloth recaro's yesterday.

It's pretty sweet, but this is my first manual car and its hilarious/embarrassing how many times I've stalled it when starting from a stop on an incline!

Man, that's pretty. I'm curious about the Ecoboost 4-banger model, myself.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dema posted:

Sold my NC Miata and bought a 2002 Corvette Z06. It's rad.

Funny, guy in our local RX-7 group just traded his Mazaspeed Miata (NB, IIRC) in on a C6 Z06, same color, but his had (dealer installed, soon to be replaced) chrome wheels. Young guy, saved all his pennies to put down on the car, but it's his only debt. Ah, to be single, childless, and able to live cheaply.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

That's the thing, in the US we get very few euro vans. The only thing we normally see are Dodge-branded Mercedes Sprinters, sometimes Sprinters themselves. There are other monstrosities like the huge Nissan thing and tiny Ford car-based vans, but that form factor hasn't caught on here. So, that VW around here would be a hugely awesome troll.

Ford has the actual Transit van (as opposed to the little Transit Connect) in the US now, though I've not seen one on the road yet. And the Dodge is now FWD Fiat-based, rather than MB. I have seen one of those, and they look a bit goofy.
GM is the only USDM that's still making an old-school American-style van.

e: Dodge Promaster: http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ram_commercial/#ram_promaster
Ford Transit: http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transitcommercial/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

admiraldennis posted:

2014 Jeep Cherokee w/ blackouts

The blackout makes them look a lot better.
It took me months before I realized that the headlights were not in the upper slits, but in the cavities below them. Didn't see one in the dark until recently.

I have acquire a Crown Vic P71:

Cop flat buckets:

Vinyl back seat:

(Still need to clean out the PO junk.)

Cavernous trunk, especially when the spare is up on the deck where it belongs:

After a few hours quality time with 3M Adhesive remover and a plastic scraper:

Doesn't appear to have been a patrol car - no cage, only one hole in the roof, no holes in the dash, and the back seat is barely used, if at all.
Only 143K miles, and it has the 3.55 limited slip rear, and cold AC.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9s6rSGdF9Q

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ramsus posted:

Well boys, since growing up watching mad max and having an uncle that owns a salvage yard and is into old cars I've always wanted an old beater muscle car.

I'm looking at this 4 speed 62 Cutlass tomorrow. It's significantly cheaper than the price in the window, and it runs, drives and stops so the owner says. Claims there isn't any rust, but the lights aren't wired and the interior is pretty bare. Plans for it will be to stop any rust I find and keep its sort of beater look. I would like to make the interior relatively nice though.

It should have the Olds variant of the 215 aluminum V8 that became the Rover V8. Not the highest HP, but the car is relatively light. It's actually a variation of the Corvair chassis, if you can believe it.

Ramsus posted:

I went out and looked at it today. I told the guy I'd think about it. The body has been put on a pontiac frame, and it has a pontiac 301. The fenders don't line up with the hood correctly, so the hood doesn't quite shut on the back side of it. There is a 1 1/2 inch gap between the fenders and doors that I'm not sure could be adjusted to fit correctly. There is a hole in the firewall. The thing is a mess.

On the other hand it looks awesome if you stand back about 20 ft and I really want it. The lowest I got him was $1,250 and that includes delivering it to my house. He claims the 4 speed is worth more than that.

Well, poo poo. The Pontiac chassis shouldn't be a problem (except, I'm pretty sure those are unibodies...), but the 301 is a crime. Just means you'll have to shove in an Olds 403, right?

Fake edit: Yep, unibody. Which means, if it's actually on a different chassis, that it's been hacked up. Sad.

Bape Culture posted:

Smh that's not a burnout that's "driving to work with more than 200hp" :mrgw:

No joke. I've discovered that traction control is a must in the P71, since I haven't driven anything with actual torque and horsepower since the trans mission shat itself in my Cutlass. Ford seems to have done OK with the drive-by-wire, too. I really can't tell, unless the traction control is reining it in.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

crutt posted:

Haven't posted my stupid car in a while so here's my stupid car.

Neat. Stout rear bumper. Looks like that tire carrier folds down flat into a deck of sorts?

e: or is that a latch I'm seeing and it swings to the side like a gate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Where'd you get the decal, and do they have them in a smaller size?

I got mine from Redbubble.com, but the account I got them from appears to have been suspended:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...CFcTnJgodInUGlg
(posted in case it's ever re-enabled)

NERD:

But there are some others on Redbubble, in several different sizes and colors, not to mention all sorts of other Mad Max/Fury Road-related stickers for your ride/fridge.