Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tremek posted:

Better yet, willroc7's entire post history in this thread is about his own Audis & VWs. R-envy?

Content: My dad was in the market for something to replace his wife's '05 TSX they bought new that now has 170k miles on it, and in discussion we came up with the idea of a hot-hatch as being a good fit. He wanted something with a little more guts than the TSX (200hp, but not at 6,000 ft. elevation and even then only if you wring its neck at sea level) and as his wife is also prone to backing into things, something even smaller than the TSX would probably be a benefit.

So enter the Kia Forte5 SX, pictured below. 201hp/195tq out of a DI turbo 1.6 I4. Automatic was another requirement.

Why not GTI, you ask? Said Kia below is a '15 with 24k miles on it, and he got it for $17k + TTL. Any comparable GTI was going to be $8-10k more, with Autobahn models going for almost $30k.

Now he's looking into tunes for it, which I count as a personal success.

Nice. My wife's '08 Spectra5 with 138HP/136Tq (5-speed) is fun enough to drive. I imagine 201/195 might be more entertaining, though I imagine the Forte weighs a bit more, just because that's how things seem to go with newer models.

edit: 2886lb for the spec5, 2970 for the Forte5, not bad. Also the forte has a 6-speed in the manual. If the engine is anything like the Spectra's, I hope either the final drive is higher, or top gear is more overdrive. It always feels like the spectra could use another gear - it feels like it's screaming, and it has plenty of lower RPM torque for it's size. It's a long-rod 2.0 - redline is only about 5K RPM.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tremek posted:

That's a neat van, especially for the money. We have absolutely nothing like that in this market, especially not at that price point. Pickup trucks largely fill that sort of niche here, but the vast majority aren't diesel or manual.

Yeah, we do (assuming America). Ford now sells the Transit here in multiple configs, and Ram (Dodge) sells the Promaster, a rebadged Fiat van. Chevy is the only one still making an American-style van, not counting the little City Express, which is a rebadged Nissan NV200 and is car-based like Ford's Transit Connect.
Automatics are still more common, most likely.

e: f, b.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Did... did I hear a turbodiesel in that Crown Vic @ 1:40?

(Not to detract from the E34. It sounds lovely!)

edit: nope, twin turbo 4.6L: http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-goodbad-idea-of-the-week-twin-turbo-taxi/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, I was going to post my auto history, but I just discovered that Lunarpage's upgrade of both PHP and MySQL at the same time broke my gallery. I don't know which one killed it - all I get is "Error" on the page.
Damned thing has been working for years, so naturally they have to screw with it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, hey, I have a pair of those very same seats to throw in my Cutlass. Honda is one of the few manufacturers that still used black interiors in anything modern, and I needed flip forward coupe seats. also, Honda makes pretty good sporty seats.

That whole car is nice. I prefer the 87-91 because I'm a square-car nerd, but yours looks so much better than the preceding generation. Would drive.

kimbo305 posted:

Once you've seen a C6 with flared fenders, it's really hard to buy a normal one.

No poo poo, right? The Z06 additions save the C6 from being, well, not boring, but a little too plain.
A friend of mine has one in that same blue, but with chrome factory wheels (that he's trying to replace with not-chrome ones.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm pretty much going to gut the entire interior of mine over the winter and go over it with a fine tooth comb, I think the alarm on mine went off when we brought it to McTinkerson's place and we couldn't figure out what the hell caused it. Are these things known for pinching a wiring harness or something?

From way back, but the alarm part is all in the "CPU" in the left kick panel. You could take it out entirely except it's also the flashers. I think you can get away with unplugging the top plug. Bottom one is flashers.
My '90 GXL has the alarm, and it went off once when I replaced the CPU (trying to get some of the other functions to work - lighted keyholes and ignition cylinder, for example), then the CPU failed completely. Again. on't care enough to find out why. Everything else works, and I have an aftermarket alarm with keyless.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That smells like a recap job to me, the RX7 probably had the same Rubycom/Nichicom capacitors that ate poo poo in my Civic earlier this year.

It may be. I was messing with and gave up on it some time before I became familiar with the whole "bad caps" thing. I've repaired two Viewsonic monitor power supplies so far, thanks to those, and have another 3 (free) 22" monitors to do.
Might spend some time looking at those CPUs I have just because I like it when everything works as intended.
Like, the first thing I do after a used car purchase is fix all the little stuff, like cigar lighters, glove box lights, etc. that POs just ignore.

1500quidporsche posted:

I originally thought pinched wire harness but I'm leaning more towards McTinkerson's bad soldering theory now. All the interior electrics are laughably bad and will randomly kick in and out depending on the temperature and whether you've hit a bump or something but the engine ECU has been rock solid and I was expecting 90% of my problems to be on the fuel injection side of things.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mazda bought some cheap solder or something and the engine ECU came from Nippondenso or some random supplier because it would explain the night and day difference. I know in atleast the Bosch side of Jetronic stuff that wasn't uncommon.

And yeah this stupid thing is infected me now. I full on love that loving engine.

The HVAC controller ("logicon") on FCs is famous for being flaky as hell due to bad solder joints.

Hell, almost everything from the mid-80s is notorious for having flaky electronics due to bad solder joints. They changed solder around that time for the "no-lead" version, and it sucked, much like the fiasco with early less-volatile paints peeling off.

Awesometime posted:

Mrs Awesometime bought a van.

It's a 1960 Bedford CA Van, plans include it being a promo vehicle for the business.

The PO wouldn't stop banging on about the amazing patina, no signs of any severe car cancer.

We're picking it up on Sat, can't wait to drive it home and get better pics!

This is awesome.
I would paint it, though, because a) I hate rust in any form. Rust is not patina. Rust is concentrated evil. Worn, faded paint is patina. And b) so I could show it to the PO and make his head explode.
I'm even in a pretty rust-free part of the world (Texas, USA), so any rust to me is just nope, especially after hearing all the horror stories from Yankees and Brits.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Ken when the hell did you get married :psyduck:

He snuck out and eloped several months ago. We only learned about it when he started mentioning :siren: HIS WIFE :siren: in his house thread.
It's like he didn't want us to come to the wedding or something.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm sure there's documents and poo poo all over, but those are all done by other people. On the internet. You know, idiots. With you being an EE and having a knowledge of automotive electricals that blows my loving mind, I'd like to see your take on it too :).

"These are simple folk, people of the land. You know, morons."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I love my (90's) Prelude interior. 20 years and the seats are still like new. No matter what else I have kicking around, I always have to have a Honda in the stable just for driving simplicity and fun, and simple ergonomic interiors.

I have a pair of '97 Prelude seats to put in my Cutlass when I get around to it. For one thing, Honda was one of the few manufacturers to do black interiors, and further, in coupes. Plus, they're comfy, sporty seats.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Achtane posted:

On my off days, I'm responsible for shitbox fleet repair.

'95 Corolla 1.8 bought from a friend for $400. 176k miles, runs well but needs a new clutch soon. I'm 6'7" and it's actually kinda cozy, but I'll lose some height in the event of a crash.
'98 Grand Marquis in its natural habitat. Just hit 100k. The lovely plastic intake manifold finally gave out and vomited coolant everywhere. I couldn't afford the aluminum one Ford should have used from the get-go so it's about to get another overpriced lovely plastic one. Note the 2x2.
Not pictured: My girlfriend's '97 Lumina. It needs a new power steering pump. Working on this car is damaging to the soul.
Between the two of us, we have half a car at any given time.

P71s got a plastic intake with an aluminum coolant crossover. Not sure about fitment years, since some years may have had "Performance Improved" heads. I've not done any research about what fits what, but possibly an option.

edit: This seems to say that it'll fit, but it also seems to ignore the existence of PI vs non-PI. Maybe not an issue on non-Mustangs?
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/185

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 25, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Cool find. Those old Dodges are getting harder to find.

Seconded, would drive, especially V8 stir-yer-own.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

Ever since I started buying and driving old trucks I've lusted after a 4 speed and now that I've got one it's everything I imagined and more :allears: The clutch is a mechanical linkage and it's not like any other manual I've driven, it's super picky about RPM which will take some getting used to as there's no working tach. There was an aftermarket one wired to the distributor (what the PO said, anyway), but it has stopped working. Apparently it keeps blowing fuses and electrical stuff is intermittent, it was weird until I saw the state of the wiring. Probably going to rewire the truck in phases, starting with the stuff that controls the vent fan.

What you said there is pretty much "Chrysler."

My dad's '79 Dodge shortbed had some of the worst electrical I've ever seen, and it was all stock. The bulkhead connector in particular was a pain point.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Oh, are we complaining about Chrysler electrical?

I had a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan. Go ahead, make the jokes, I'll wait. 3.3L V6, "ice blue", and a sliding door that a 2-year-old pulled off one day.

At one point, going down a terrible dirt road on Vancouver Island, I high-centered it very briefly on the trailer hitch receiver, which had the trailer hitch wiring wrapped around it to keep it out of the way. I didn't notice and it wasn't until months later when a fuse in the panel by my left knee burned out spectacularly on the middle of the Granville Bridge in Vancouver - black smoke pouring out of my window in downtown Vancouver rush-hour. $1000 later - and they felt bad for me and stopped charging me after one full day - the terrible, terrible electrical gremlins were traced to that pinch-cut trailer wire. If I remember correctly, replacing the trailer wire (I think a $20 part) fixed the problems I'd been having with the headlights, cold starts, and windshield wipers. The malfunctioning right turn signal was caused by a blown bulb.

That's amazing. Also, one hell of a failure of the fuses and fusebox to do their job.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Luxrage posted:

This is my current daily driver, and fast becoming a strange blend between restoring and overhauling:

I moved down to Texas last year. My '94 Thunderbird V8 rusted out from living up north, and at the same time I was saving up to buy a fullsize Bronco, so I thought, why not both?

The paint is totally burnt out, but there's no clearcoat so it does polish up nice. However, it is road chipped to hell and back.

One thing that baffles me is the interior is spotless everywhere but in the cargo area. I think it was stored halfway in a carport or something.

I was toying with the idea of the sedan instead. However, when I test drove a craigslist one and discovered the sheer size of the wagon and how well they drove, I was hooked.

This sold me on it:

I would absolutely love one of these with the drivetrain from my '05 P71. A pity they never made a wagon version of the aeros or later. My sedan has a huge trunk, but there's still stuff that just won't fit. I get by with a hitch carrier or a small trailer, but a wagon would pretty much eliminate the need for a pickup for me for all but the biggest jobs (which would then use the trailer!)
My boss when I worked at a car stereo shop many years ago had a thing for Crown Vics/clones, and the wagon variants. He would buy them, fix them, and flip them. The shop mobile install vehicle was an '80s Country Squire, with all the tools and gear stashed in the third seat well. and it said "Wally World or bust on the back window. :)

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Needs cop steelies, dog dishes, and blackwalls.

Awesome car.

Oh yes. I would even allow the cop steelies from the later models.

edit: oh, it's got the EFI 5.0. Never mind about the later drivetrain, then. That'll work fine! I'd upgrade to PW - should be easy to find a Grand Marq or Town Car to steal the mechanism from. I'd have to change the seats - I don't do vinyl in Texas any more. I've done my time, thanks.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 9, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Luxrage posted:

It's baffling to think that in 1987 this thing was sitting next to the Taurus in the showrooms with it's almost unchanged 1979 design. It's a rolling time capsule.

Pretty much.
Even better, Ford didn't substantially change the frame for the aeros and later. Obviously, the wagon frame is longer at the rear, but on the sedans (and coupes) you can fit the later chassis, particularly the '04-up chassis with the better suspension and rack and pinion with surprisingly little work.Mainly the frame horns for mounting the core support and bumpers.
http://bangshift.com/general-news/c...et-the-mod-box/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh my god it's even a coupe...

It's glorious.

Isn't it just? I love stuff like this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

I'll check when I get home. pretty sure it has the crossmember but I don't remember. And yeah, manual brakes suck- I know that was how it was done back then but screw that.

Current names I'm toying with are the Vomit Comet or Freddie Mercury.

Oh, God, my '70 Cutlass had manual drums all around (in '70!) when I got it. Braking effort was up there.
I wrecked it 3 weeks after
i got it when a lady made a left turn across traffic in front of me. It got power front discs while it was being rebuilt.

e: typo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

From what I've seen if you want a manual you have to get the 300, otherwise you should always go for the 400 because V8. Or get a 400 and to a manual swap on it.

From what I've seen, an SC400 manual swap is really annoying, because all the electronics freak out, and there was never a Toyota V8 manual ECU, so you can't just swap one in. As I recall, even the AC computer refuses to work.
So, it would be fine for ~*race car*~, but if you want basically a stock SC400 w/ a manual, like your SC300 but V8, that's a no go. Which sucks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

OneOverZero posted:

:madmax::respek::madmax:

I also found out last week that my beater 541,000mi XJ does not appreciate being loaded to the bumpstops with topsoil and cypress mulch.

When I had my Cherokee, I discovered it will pull a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer filled 3 layers deep with paving stones just fine (4-banger, BTW), and the brakes are fine. However, it did overwhelm the traction of the cheap tires I had. Nearly slid into an intersection the first stop.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I was hoping the UFO would take my Saturn to visit Saturn (and hopefully bring it back in one piece), but I don't think this UFO is going anywhere.

But.. been wanting to get a few pics of this place.

Where the hell is that?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

You're in luck, there's a decent number of them known to exist!

It's one of three known Futuro Houses known to exist in Texas. This is the easiest to access one; it's (barely) in Royse City off of SH 276 (so a long drive for you, about 20 minutes for me), and nobody bothers you so long as you don't look like someone that would hold a can of spray paint - I was out there for about 45 minutes, with my car parked right next to it - nobody ever approached me, and it's on a very well travelled road.

If you just start typing "Futuro House" into Google Maps while you're in Texas, it should be one of the first results.

There's another in Rockwall, but it's next to someone's house and on very private property. The third known is in Austin, and is still in some kind of active use. This one is sitting on a major road and very visible to anyone and everyone going by.

Coooooooooool

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I never managed to take a picture of my Ranger overloaded with anything weight wise. I didn't have a digital camera or smartphone at the time.

I did get this hilarious picture though:

Oddly enough, my load of paving stones didn't look terrible. the trailer sat a bit low, but not on the stops, and it was distributed evenly, with only a few extra pavers at the front, so the Jeep was more or less level, too. It just didn't want to stop! Way more brakes than tires. Probably would have been fine(er) with trailer brakes, but it's a HF 4x8. Pulled fine all the way home (about 20-30 miles). I just had to plan stops.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

Sick intake bro!

I want to believe it sounded like blowing past the opening of a soda bottle, only on a massive scale, when driving.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Killstick posted:

I had to stop and figure out why i was reading this in Eminems voice.

Now that would confuse rap fans.

spog posted:

No airbag deployment?

Looks like something you could bodge back into a very nice cheap runaround

I'm with him. The core support/latch can probably be wrangled back into place with enough cursing and hammering.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dannywilson posted:

Well technically I own the auto Starquest, but it's long term down at his place, so yeah, I buy parts and he throws them on, or they wait for the next time I'm down there to drink beer and work on cars.

Where's the thread for that Starion?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tremek posted:

Kind of a poo poo picture and I didn't have anyone else around to put it in reverse while I took a pic - probably not the best thing to try alone - you can see the reverse LEDs to the bottom-right of the license plate and below the spare.

Protip: put it in reverse with the parking brake on, and the engine not running.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

dirty af, but I took it out for a non-DD ride.

I just saw a clone of your car here in Dallas on the way home yesterday. Silver with RPF1s, anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Did the same guy do the Lagonda since he had a hard on for headlights?

I believe so.

edit:
Yep
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_Bulldog

quote:

The Aston Martin Bulldog, styled by William Towns,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Towns

quote:

In 1966 he left Rover to join Aston Martin as a seat designer, eventually becoming the force behind the Aston Martin Lagonda.

The Lagonda actually came first.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 7, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

Although your taste in wheels differs from mine, I can say with certainty that you are a fundamentally good person. :patriot:

post a thread when you start cracking it open, eh?

They're not 26" rims with low-profile "off-road" tires, so there will be no remarks from me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I've always liked 760 wagons. I *really* like yours. Keep up the good work.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

This is why we can't have nice things.

What? Is... It's July!
Oh, gently caress, that's *hail* isn't it?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Get a GS - I still get ~ 50mpg with this fatty.

I like it.
At some point, I guess I should actually get an MC endorsement so I can ride my '80 Suzuki GS450L. I've had the thing for 20 years, and only rode it a couple of weeks(without the endorsement, but with tags and insurance) before some choad made me drop it. I fixed it, but didn't ride again. Just need to find time and $$ to take the MSF course, because now that's the only way to get an MC license in TX, which is honestly not a bad thing. not sure I'd ride it for the commute just because drivers are so bad here in DFW, but I would do some pleasure riding and errands. Doesn't hurt to have it as a backup vehicle, either.

Currently, my vehicular choices are a Crown Vic P71, and a '90 RX-7. Both get about 16 MPG in the city. Fortunately, my commute is only about 15 miles one way.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I am averaging over 200mpg with my Volt. :smug:

I am averaging over 200 volts with my house. :smug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

I just bought shitbox number 11 (I think, I've lost count).
It is, however, My First Toyota.

When I bought it the rear hatch wouldn't open, back glass didn't move, the whole thing was disgusting, and 4x4 only worked if you hit the actuator with a hammer...

I figured since it worked at all it was probably something I could fix, took a gamble and talked the guy down to $3000. I had to do some pro-fabricobbling to get the hatch working without buying expensive parts. The 4x4 actuator took a bit of tinkering, but everything works now. Pretty happy none of the repairs cost me any money. I also spent almost 2 hours cleaning the interior... The PO was a family with kids, dude was super meticulous about maintenance, but wife wasn't about interior cleanliness...

Car has 220k miles, new frame, new steering rack, new brake and fuel lines, looks like a new gas tank as well. Good tires, working front/rear AC and heat, and now that I've fixed those problems nothing seems wrong with it.
It starts right up, perfectly smooth, really quiet engine. It actually weirds me out I'm so used to subarus and old diesels. A quiet engine just doesn't seem right...

More tinkering today, the light bar off my last subaru needs to go on. It's kinda bent and dinged up and pretty scorched from the car catching on fire in the crash, but it still works. I also hate running boards, so those are probably going.

I'm 6'2 with 34" inseam, and running boards are almost never in the right place for me to use, especially getting out.
The quiet issue is easy to fix with a Flowmaster. It is a V8 after all, and 1UZs sound good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uu-jrWyFCc

Ether Frenzy posted:

Coincidentally enough, I was looking around on TV last night and scrolled into the original Fast & the Furious movie on one of the many Showtimes and seconds later - boom: Brian and Dom at Neptune's. Always get the steamed shrimp, never buy fries (they're a waste of shrimp room), and dip the shrimp in tapatio. Like shown here:

Drove by Neptune's Net when I visited SoCal last year, but ultimately decided not to stop because it was crowded on a Saturday. The drive up PCH from El Segundo was nice though, even in a rented Kia Rio. I ended up eating at a seafood place on the beach further north.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

I think it's a 2UZ, actually. I like a quiet daily driver. Loud cars are fun to be obnoxious with, but I don't want to get a headache on a roadtrip or something from noise.
The thing is amazing on the highway, set cruise at 90 and it's quiet and smooth. Spent an hour yesterday not even knowing I was doing 90.
Toyota V8, anyway. A couple of other vids mention that it's still pretty quiet in the cabin thanks to the more than adequate NVH control on the Sequoia.
I'm looking for a bit more rumble in my Crown Vic (it's already a bit louder being a P71 without the extra rear silencers), but like you, I don't want to make road trips painful. I'm looking at Magnaflow mufflers. I find them more mellow than Flowmasters, or at least the usual 40-series or whatever.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Why you would do this is beyond me.

Unless it's Kimbo's old Ferrari or something cool like that, there is no need for the disturbance of loud exhausts.

Especially on a chevy avalanche :psyduck:

I'm sorry, you seem to have wandered into Automotive Insanity by mistake. Milquetoast Driving Appliances and Sensible Slacks is over there, somewhere.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tremek posted:

$26:

... but the catch is it was an Amazon Warehouse order, which may have been a return (tough to say - nothing inside the packaging was open?) - and is probably difficult to repeat. Was at the right place at the right time.

Yeah, looks like it's normally $170 or so.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

You asked me on IRC last night for a list of how to shotgun the issues. Here you are.
If it ran leaded fuel it likely doesn't have hardened valve seats. Pull the casting numbers off the head and verify this. If so cam/head time.

It's a 454, it'll have a TH400, not a 350. Keep the fluid clean and it'll never let you down.

Needs an overdrive and/or taller rear gears, or it's going to eat you alive in fuel costs. The good news is that a 4L80 is a TH400 with overdrive, basically. Or add a Gear Vendors overdrive.
An 8.1L/4L80 transplant would be cool and keep the "big-block" aspect, but you'd probably get more power than you have now with a 5.7 or 6.0 LSx transplant. No idea what would be less expensive.
Budget upgrade would at least be a throttle-body injection. You should be able to get factory parts that will work, or go MegaSquirt or other aftermarket setup. Not sure if there was aver a port injected big-block of that generation from Chevy, so only options there will be aftermarket, I think.

Also good news is that you can get pretty much every part of that truck from LMC Truck and other vendors. Square-bodies are still popular and well-supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

angryrobots posted:

8.1l engines can be found for peanuts, but modifying them is expensive. Good truck motor as-is, though.

That's what I was thinking. No mods needed.

Larrymer posted:

You forget he has a CTS-V, he's used to gallons per mile instead of MPG. :v:

I did actually forget that, and you're probably right.