Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Took the lawnmower for a ride in the hills yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

dema posted:

Very, very nice.

Thanks. She’s temperamental but when she’s running well it’s a great drive.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is very cool and more details would be welcomed.

The car is a 1965 Porsche 356C. This is the last year of production for the 356 line, having been superseded by the 911/912 in the previous year. It’s not as bathtub-like as the previous A and B generations, but I like the look of it. To my mind it's the best version of the 356 (excluding the Carrera, but I don't have that kind of money). It truly is a pleasure to drive. Great at cornering, which is amazing for a car of its age, relatively soft and rudimentary swing-arm suspension, and skinny tires. The disc brakes (a rarity back then) combined with the low weight give it amazing braking power. It's got no power assisted steering, brakes, or anything else (definitely nothing electronic), but it's easy to drive and very connected. Overall just amazing engineering for what's essentially a 50's era design. It is not a fast car, but it feels fast, which is the best. It's hard to imagine anything with what was a 75 hp engine when new can feel fast, but it will carve curvy hills like a champ.

I bought the car about a year ago and poured a lot of money and effort into making the important things work. I won't go into the details in this post, but it's been in the shop a long time. These days it runs pretty well most of the time and doesn't leak too much oil or gasoline in my garage. I still drive with a fire extinguisher in the back seat just in case. Sometimes it decides to act up. Consequently I've gotten pretty good at dropping the clutch to start it up while gliding on the freeway or rolling backwards down a hill.

Wearing the vintage Hawaiian plate I bought and definitely did not drive around with while waiting for it to be registered.

Clean and shiny.

Joe likes it, too.

I'm happy to answer any questions. And if you know how to fix carbureted Porsches, I might have some questions for you.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Washed the lawnmower today

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Thanks everyone

MetaJew posted:

I'm too uncultured to know if that's a kit car or the real thing, but neat!

It is genuine German rust

Bape Culture posted:

Is that guards? Is it period correct? I had no idea it was available to early on.

The bumper overriders are actually from the previous generation model. The period correct bumper had an additional big bar across the front, but it’s very ugly so everyone takes it off.