Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

KozmoNaut posted:

No.

We drive cars here ;)
I bought a "truck" (probably a lifted Accord chassis, but...)

MDX

Wife wanted more storage. Not entirely sure what for, but it's a pretty sweet car nonetheless.

e:

Powershift posted:

The current class of "compact crossovers" are just station wagons for a nation that hates station wagons and loves SUVs.
Hey, that's me!

e2: Update - apparently it's on the Honda Odyssey chassis. Sweet.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Geoj posted:

:stare:

WTF? I can't imagine those things are stable at anything approaching highway speed even with their lovely 3 cylinder engines, let alone with anything under the hood with real power...
A smart car blew by me doing like 95 the other day. Can they actually hit 95? Maybe 90. Somewhere around there. It looked kind of hilarious weaving through traffic.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Finally got my new ride (2013 WRX hatch). The totally non-AI family people mover is on the right (2008 MDX).

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Devyl posted:

It's cold out there.

So cold (the snow wheels are, I think, like 2010 or 2011 wrx OEMs)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Spent money on a new (to me) car instead of replacing the driveway that is crumbling away.

It's a DCT, bite me.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Wanted a truck to tow a boat I haven't bought yet, and also will now need a second car that can fit three kids for reasonably long trips due to the fact that I continue to reproduce. Got a 2007 GX470 (4runner, basically E: Not at all, actually. Thanks BlackMK4). Kind of a sweet ride, actually. Very non-AI. But I will be able to keep the m3 in the garage for the winter now at least.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 24, 2018

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Darchangel posted:

I'm considering one of these myself, or an LX or 4Runner, for doing truck things that require more interior storage than my Crown Vic will provide. A bit more towing capacity, too.
The general chat thread pointed me towards the GX/LX, since they are literally Land Cruisers, but tend to be cheaper yet also more well-maintained, not to mention leather, power everything, etc. V8 is a bit thirsty, which is why I'm also considering the V6 4Runnner (3rd or 4th gen - I don't like the styling on the current ones, especially that snout, and can't afford them anyway...)
Yeah, it's thirsty.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Darchangel posted:

I dailied a 104 HP MAzda RX-7 for years, and still would (will, when it's done, again, but it'll be closer to 135-150HP), and I have no trouble with traffic on interstates and state highways here in DFW in my '87 Corolla with 80-something HP (when new, which it's not any more).
I got a ticket for going 95 in my 1989 corolla, so it seemed fast enough for highway speeds.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Was the e63 wagon only 35k? Or was that after a trade in? They look to be more like 65k+ for that vintage.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My M3 let me know it was thirsty this morning.

nice

and I apparently rolled over 49K miles finally on my drive in to work.

Positively no way possible I would get 300 miles out of a tank.
I just crossed 50k in mine (2011 e 90)!

To celebrate I spent, like, $300 on a new battery.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 15, 2019

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Cool about the mileage, sucks about the battery. Mine lives on a tender and has since the first owner I think. The car is garaged where it is pretty temperate so the fact that the original battery has gone as long as it has is very encouraging. Did you get the dealer to do the coding of the DME for the new battery too?
Not the dealer, but my shop, yes.

This is actually my second new battery in just over two years. The (probably original) battery was really really dead when I bought it, but a new one should have lasted longer I would think. I guess rarely driving it and when I do, often for short distances isn't good for the battery? The car just spits out so many random codes when the battery gets low while being parked outside for a while during the winter (typically airport parking garage), wanted to get it swapped out before then.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 30, 2019

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Mill Village posted:

My favorite thing about the late Focus is how Ford finally brought the RS out here and marked it up so much that very few people bought it. Ford was like "see, nobody wanted it like we said!" Then they bet everything on the new Explorer, and it flopped.

I thought the explorer thing was due to manufacturing issues, not lack of demand, no?

E: also, holy hell e63 wagons carry a massive premium on the used market compared to sedans

E2: wait they are selling the rs6 avant here? I can’t wait to not buy a new one and then complaining about the used market sucking.

E3: I will complain about the used sports turismo market sucking before that, of course

gvibes fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 8, 2020

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

You Am I posted:

Volvo was (is?) big into motorboat engines years ago, so doesn't surprise me that they are allowing their V8s for that use as well as road use.
Still is. Volvo Penta is the line, I think.

According to wiki, volvo apparently started out as a marine engine builder before going into cars.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

you haven't lived until you're out (in my case, fat biking) on ice you know to be 3 feet thick but you hear cracking and booming from somewhere
You haven't lived until you are snowmobiling across what you thought was a frozen lake and hit water (never lift).

brae posted:

I bought a 718 Cayman GT4 and put winter tires on it. It's black so it'd be dirty no matter what but winter driving takes the filth to a new level.

Owns.

I should have a porsche addition to this thread in the next couple of days as well.

What size now tires to put on my turbo twists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

gvibes posted:

I should have a porsche addition to this thread in the next couple of days as well.
And here it is: