Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Daily Driver - 2001 Ford Laser SR2

Project car #1: 1977 P6 Ford LTD

No pics - project car #2 - 1965 XP Ford Falcon ute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ThwartedEfforts posted:

Citroen Mania
Do you enjoy self harm? The cars you purchase dude, I am sure you love hurting yourself, or at least frustrating yourself to tears :laugh:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dave9876 posted:

S15 Checking in.

Nissan 200SX (the Australian Silvia) Spec-S GT.

Completely stock (well apart from replacing the head unit). Considering all the nasty rice jobs around this town, that is a good thing.
That's a rare car, unmolested. A bit like trying to find a grey import Skyline without a fart cannon or hacked up front bumper due to the larger intercooler.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

thetechnoloser posted:

Brand new 2009 Pontiac G5

That's a brand new car? Looks like something Korean from the mid 90s.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lighthammer posted:

This one stays in a garage most of the time. '71 Mach 1. Almost fully restored, just needs some interior work.

Video here.

Some day I'll get a decent camera. The '71 sounds subdued in the video when it revs but it's actually overwhelming the mic on my phone.

Cool old beast, what engine does it have?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GazChap posted:

If I could figure out a way of getting the 185's popup headlights on to my ST205, I'd be a happy bunny ;)
Umm, why? That would look totally poo poo.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gabby_Jay posted:

:dong::australia:

It's a little weird looking into the engine bay and seeing so much empty space. Overall, I'm impressed with it. It sure beats the old VN commodore sedan I had been using for the last few years.

Man that overflow tank is really messy for such a newish car. Looks like the engine has been churning rust through its coolant.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gabby_Jay posted:

I know what you mean, I'll be taking it very easy. The commodore's thin wheels made it awful in the wet too.

As for the XR8, I haven't driven it yet, he's only had it for a few weeks. I was going on and on for months about getting a new car and he went and beat me to it :(. Even he finds it a bit of a handful, so I'm quite happy waiting until I'm used to the XR6 before I give it a go.

It's also not as...subtle as mine. The previous owners spent a fair bit on looks and sound. I'd probably get pulled over as soon as I left the driveway.

Bloody live axle Commodores are hellish on wet roads, I had one jump lanes on me when I was carefully driving from the lights. You need to make sure the tyres are in top condition.

Nice looking XR8 ute :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ormy posted:

Here's what I've been driving for a while.

Click here for the full 1024x680 image.

Does it play the theme to "The Professionals" when you scream to a stop? :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KrazyKosher posted:

She may not look like much kid, but she's got is where it counts.
Awesome. Looks like a bomb, goes off like one.

What's under the bonnet?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Penis Colada posted:

Oh yeah. My car has a nice rear end.

Badonkadonk arse more like it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Steve. posted:

Holy poo poo, that's amazing. Walking away from that is pretty special. Your car did good :)

I don't have to contend with moose but I've been taught that if I see a kangaroo and a collision is inevitable, don't brake too heavily or else the front of the car will dip and flip the kangaroo through the windscreen and in to me :gonk:

My new car is here but here's my old car after a kangaroo at 120km/h. I didn't brake, but I did lift off... it went right over the top:

It cost my insurance company $9000 to repair but they did and I drove it for a further two years. If I'd slammed the anchors on, I'd have been in a world of pain.
$9000 for only that amount of damage? Holy poo poo, all I can see is the bonnet being a bit bent, did the roo bounce along your roof. I've seen cars looking worse after dealing with a kangaroo at slower speeds.

Nice replacement for the Dunnydore, those VWs look great.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Steve. posted:

Yeah, I was surprised too. When I picked the car up from being fixed the repairer told me it was on the verge of being written off. You're right, it doesn't look too bad but apparently it had ruined a fair bit of stuff. It did hit the roof at the rear and leave a dent, but I didn't notice that in time to get a photo. There was kangaroo juice all over the windscreen :gonk:

I'd driven from Adelaide to Thredbo and back, and this happened five minutes from home on the freeway (near the Stirling exit for any Adelaide goons) after not having seen a single dead or alive kangaroo the 2700km round trip.

I'm loving the R36, it's an enormous step up from a VY Commodore and even from a mark 5 Golf GTI.
Ah, well if it hit the roof hard enough, then that'll screw up the safety cell for the passengers.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ryanstev posted:

And my project car, which should be on the road this year, my 1979 Ford Fairmont XC. 302 Cleveland V8.

Nice old Falcon there :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PBCrunch posted:

Hey dude someone left your interior out in the sun.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holden was plagued by lovely quality control during the VT-VY Commodore days, but I thought they would've fixed that with the VE. Sad to see they haven't.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Scum, if you were doing it right you'd put a 928 V8 into it :colbert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ab0z posted:

Has this problem actually started to appear, or is it just expected to appear in the future?
GM has to hold parts for at least 10 years, plus the fact that there are tons of Commodores in Australia, you should be fine

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Negromancer posted:

Hey that looks kinda familiar, my dad has a similar body style(cant remember the year) wagon that I put a lot of miles on when I was visiting him in NZ last.

I liked that model of Skyline. Australia never got the wagon version of that, but we got the sedan and liftback. They still ran an IRS, not cheapened out like the R30 series where they went to a live axle (the Australian built ones). Plus have a nice style to them.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PANIC ON FUNKOTRON posted:

Parp!

Ah, the Essex Cruiser.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Idiot race posted:

This is pretty true to life, I rarely see the older RS turbo cars anywhere outside essex. The closer to dagenham you get the more fords you see, but then the closer to luton you get the more Vauxhalls you see, although at least the Vauxhall plant still makes cars. Unlike in dagenham where they pretty much just make fords diesel powerplants now i'm pretty sure.
Isn't the Tranny Van still being made in the UK, or is it being built in Genk with the rest of the Fords?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Franko posted:

Best photo I have of mine (mainly due to the location)

2008 FG Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo
4.0L Straight 6 turbocharged with a 6 speed automatic gearbox

Managed to get it at trade in price with only thirty five km's on it.
Very nice. How does it go?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Franko posted:

Compared to my old BA XR6T the addition of 2 extra gears and a bit more grunt is nice but the major difference for me is mostly in the handling, thing will stick to the road a drat sight better on corners and you don't have the feeling of the back end trying to let go.
But yeah it goes like poo poo off a shovel and has more than enough power for someone like me, but if you boot it all the time the servo attendants will know you on a first name basis pretty quick.
Very cool. Interesting to hear from a previous Falcon Turbo owner as well. Love to buy one of those beasts one day, probably just as they are phasing the straight six out.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Franko posted:

If you do try and hunt one down try for a BA mk.II or above for the 6 speed auto if an auto is what you're after, and try to avoid anything with more than about 130k on the clock. Also make sure you have a good look at the brakes and look at maybe upgrading the front rotors if they look a bit worn.
I think it was the BF when they got the 6 speed gearbox and the better front brakes from the Territory.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Sicilian posted:

Is that a "P" plate hanging down from his car in the third picture? Or just some random letter p?
Probationary driver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27s_licence_in_Australia

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ChunksNensja posted:

Thought I'd go play with my new camera and take some decent photos of the car.

That'll be a rare beast, as the stroker motor only appeared really late on the AU scene.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ron Burgundy posted:

jjjjealous?
I had one of those as a company car. Great for going on road trips with, flip down the back seats and could sleep in it comfortably. Of course it shat a head gasket, as all Ford sixes did at that time

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Blow Dog posted:

Just bought another car. Sold the Focus for something more 'me'.

Just can't drive the drat thing because of the weather.

So replaced torque steer with snap oversteer? :v:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

abigserve posted:

Holden commodore VZ ute! Bought two months ago - love that P plating style right?
Ah, a P plater in a Commodore Ute. Perfect cop magnet.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Baby Hitler posted:

P plater is a decal that must be attached when a Probationary license (aka young), drives the vehicle. Some can't be driven by "P Platers," such as v8s and such.

A Commodore Ute is a GM car in Australia, think El Camino but years and years newer.
Plus being a Commodore adds to the attraction to the cops. Most hoons drive Commodores. So it's like doubling your points for getting pulled over.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A newer pic of my beast, with a replacement front bumper on it:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PLaSMaN posted:

What is that car ? I have a Mazda Protege5 and it looks just like this apart from the front and spoiler, i think.
As others have said, it is a Ford Laser. Pretty well a rebadge of the Mazda 323/Protege which was sold from the early 80s till the early 00s by Ford in Asia and Australia/New Zealand. Mine is the last of the Lasers to be made, being a 2001 model (they were phased out in 2002 for the Focus), and is based off the Protege5 SP20.

Rhyno: I wouldn't really go that far, but thanks anyway :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Setanta posted:

My '64 EH Holden - a little bit worse for wear as she has a few cancer spots, but I'm slowly filling the garage with replacement panels and reproduction parts to fix that. Currently running a 202 red motor but soon to receive an original 179 with a later model EFI head and fuel injection or a Nissan RB30.

Easiest car in the world to work on - I love it.
Tidy old EH, but why, why those wheels? :psyduck:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tobu posted:

I've called Hyundai a couple of times and told them I will buy one of these things if they bring it here.

Meanwhile, This is the state of my current ride but I've got the cash to fix start work soon. I'm just waiting on parts.

What happened to the Skyline?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Look at those big bits of hail:

You can imagine the damage it has done to the bonnet and roof of my Ford Laser :smith:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GlenMR posted:

I was out driving in it. The top of my Magna resembles a burgundy golf ball :(
Ah bugger, my dad copped a broken windscreen. drat huge queue for insurance claims at the moment :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

oxbrain be jealous

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Resize that big picture please Method Loser

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

winstor posted:

Got rid of my 2007 BF MK2 XR6 Turbo and got this instead

2008 FG XR6 Turbo, 270kw and 533nm of deliciousness.
Great looking beast. How does it compare to the BF? Are both cars autos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

winstor posted:

Yeh both cars fitted with the ZF 6 speed. The FG is amazing, the turbo spool and induction noise is much louder than the BF. Car handles much better too. I guess the FG stands for loving Good.
Sweet, I am planning, if things go right, just as Ford is selling the last of the straight six Falcons, I'd love to buy a XR6 Turbo and just keep it for life. Be like one of those old dudes who still have his original XY Fairmont or something like that