Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
15 year old Land Rover Discovery! 300TDi engine, with a tweaked fuel pump and a straight-through exhaust system. Cranked rear trailing arms, HD bumpers front and rear, and steel box section where the sills used to be. 265/75/16 Insa Turbo Dakar MT tyres, 2" suspension lift, removable towing drop plate on fuel tank guard.

I love this drat thing. It eats diesel like a bastard, but is so easy to repair/fix/modify/just potter about on it's not getting sold for a long time yet. Have plans to convert it next year, either bobtail or pickup/trayback, haven't decided yet. It WILL involve an angle grinder though ;)

How it looks just now:

Last year:

And when I bought it:

reddeathdrinker fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I am a loving retard.

1997 Range Rover 4.0 SE with 125k. And to be honest, it is one of the most awesome trucks ever. It is a bit of a turd on the road, but drat it is awesome at 80. The air ride was swapped to coils, which I would rather have.

As long as the electrics work, it'll be fine...

My Land Rover is slightly older..

(sorry for the tilt-shift fuckery, only pic I have on my phone...)

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Guffikins posted:

Not enough British iron here- let me introduce you to one of the worst cars ever made, the 1977 Triumph TR-7:

Like any good British car I spend all my time working on it and almost never get to drive it- it's almost worth a thread (except I never do anything interesting and don't have any idea what I'm doing).

Awesome - as a Brit, I agree on the whole "worst car ever made" statement, but drat, if I could find a reasonably priced un-rusty one over here I'd buy it in a shot and drive it everywhere... Sir, if I had a cap I'd doff it to you as the goon with the best car in this thread so far!

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
They say you've never had a car history till you've owned an Alfa Romeo, so I am pleased to say I now have a car history...

2001 Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon, 1.8 Twinspark Veloce

Added the roof rails, a black leather Momo interior, and a new set of front anti-roll bar drop links. It's proving to be a typical Alfa - so far a corroded front brake pipe blew when avoiding a deer, few days later a power steering pipe flexi hose clip finally gave in to corrosion and dumped power steering fluid all over the drive. Rear door speakers have been replaced, as the originals had no cone surround left... Still to do is a front suspension overhaul (new upper and lower wishbones), along with dropping the front subframe to change the rest of the brake pipes. Good news is the electrics all work!

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
I'm still smitten with the Alfa 156 - it's just so nice to drive, and doesn't look like a typical eurobox estate car (It's a Sportwagon, dammit!)

Yes, the teledials need refurbished, and there's a few minor rust spots round the tailgate, and the Lambda sensors need replaced, but there's nothing that isn't fixable. Xenon bulbs all-round up-front, even fixed the headlight washers.

reddeathdrinker fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 22, 2014

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
So I bought another thing... a 2000 MGF SE. First 2 seater, first soft top, first rwd. What could go wrong?

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

meatpimp posted:

Yes (Renault 5, known in the US as Renault Le Car. Also know as a car with a different wheelbase on the right and left hand sides.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_5

Edit: what a strange gently caress of a vehicle. Looks like it definitely had a MF drivetrain, but the Le Car version may have been FF, but I don't give enough of a poo poo to look into it any deeper.

Nah, most 5s were front engine, front wheel drive, the one you're thinking of is the turbo, mid engine, rear wheel drive...

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Got a set of new tyres fitted to my MGF - had a mixed pair of Chinese ditchfinders on the front, and nearly-slick Hankooks on the rear. Got a set of Tokyo Proxes T1-R's fitted, considered the best tyres for the car by the MGF neckbeards...

Got a good look round underneath while it was on the lift, which resulted in a new set of front discs and pads, and rear upper hub balljoints. Of course, as soon as I want to work on the car, it starts raining...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Emushka posted:

TELL ME MORE ABOUT YOUR CAR! I've been thinking about getting as a summer ride...

It's a 2000 MGF, also known as the Mk2 (facelifted dash, otherwise the same). Mine is one of 650 Wedgewood special editions in OAP blue with black leather. The standard 1.8 engine is plenty to have fun with, the VVC has a bit more poke, but not really necessary. If you're looking to buy, buy on condition.