Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

RealKyleH posted:

Just got back form Miami with a silver 2002 WRX. Also learned to drive stick today. God this car is fun.

Nice buy dude. I still need to come and check out your CNC set up sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Sweeeeeet.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Or you could just take a good photo of it and not have to make your car look fake to be cool. I really hate 95% of HDR photography and this is a prime example. Exposure blending is fine because the eye sees a bigger range of light than a camera does anyway, but HDR is way beyond that. This isn't even a photo any more.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ozziegt posted:

That's kind of the point.

I think I need to hang out over there because it seems like the photographers over here are a bunch of prudes.

I don't mind if people want to turn a photo into art, but to me using a program that does it in two seconds isn't art. I also find HDR horribly distracting in an image of a car, but that's just me. I also think if a guy wants to test out his new camera, you shouldn't immediately go and manipulate what came out of it until it doesn't matter what camera you took it with. Ok, no more CC talk from me.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 23, 2009

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I HATE CARS posted:

http://tinyurl.com/lqoa2w

Wow, you're both hilarious and original!

I personally don't mind looking at that Viper again.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
New car time! Just picked this up last night. 2007 Certified Acura RDX with the Technology Package. I'm quite happy with it. I had a 2.5 hour ride home from the dealer and it was the most comfortable yet fun 2.5 hours I've ever driven. The amenities in the car are awesome, practically everything can be commanded by voice, and the turbo is quite fun.

I also like that the car greets me as I get in.

I'm probably going to take the roof rack off as I wasn't really looking for one that had it, but hey, if it comes with it, why not. Maybe I'll need it at some point. It did however come with the pre-installed acura music link ipod hookup which wasn't listed, bonus for me.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's good to see the 80's still lingering.

TURBO!

I kind of like how loud they made the font for that, haha.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

Drove my MG to the bank and couldn't resist snapping a pic.

I really hope you purposely park in situations like this as much as possible. You would be doing passersby a huge service.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Is that HDR or just bad pictures?

I think it's a crappy iphone program. The photos were definitely taken with a cell phone, they're not even in focus.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DropShadow posted:

I've posted mine before too, but I got the windows tinted yesterday so DEAL WITH IT.

Do you actually own a tilt-shift or lensbaby or did you do that in post? It seems to be getting fairly popular lately. I'm not so keen I like it on that shot, it makes the car seem like a toy. Dig the car though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

kommisar posted:

Got this a couple weeks ago. An 05' with 7k miles on it. Wasn't planning on getting another LSX after my T/A but here I am. Gotta find a beater before winter now.

You neglected to take a photo of the Delorean you used to travel back in time to buy this. Seriously, how the heck did you find a near 6 year old car with 7k on the odometer? Let alone one that begs to be driven.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'd be worried about sucking up other cars in the intake on that Mustang. Good lord that thing is huge. It has to sound like a jet engine.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
You are beyond lucky to have not only survived that, but to have literally walked away from it. I'm assuming you were the only person in the vehicle at the time or this would probably have been a much more somber post.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

b0nes posted:

Would you say the same thing about a Boxter?

I would. I've riden and driven several of them, granted they were all the S series, but they handle awesome, brake on a dime and are a lot of fun through turns. You can also find used ones for pretty good prices. My uncle just picked up a flawless 99 Boxter S with a custom graphite paint job with 37k on the odometer for 11k.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Rib Feast posted:

Just got a 2007 black edition RS4 :rice:

Wow, that thing is beautiful. The wheels look outstanding on that car. The gaps are perfect and the gunmetal finish goes great with the black paint.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

thebigdaddy posted:

It is a factory JCW, wheels, BBK, exhaust, upgraded turbo, right around 208 HP stock.

Not that it is always a sure bet but you can tell the factory JCW by the side scuttle, the S with the JCW package will usually still have the s side scuttle. Other than that it is tough to tell other than badge placement that it is a factory JCW.

Great fun though

Those things are fun to drive. If they weren't so new, I'd be considering a used Countryman JCW for my next vehicle.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

thebigdaddy posted:

Countryman is the newest model in the mini lineup, 4 wheel drive 4 door, they do not have a JCW countryman yet but it may happen.

Sorry for the stock photo, but I don't have one yet ;)

Hmmm I thought they already had the JCW version of the Countryman out, I must have misread that.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The issue that's being ignored is that the force of friction versus the acceleration of gravity isn't that a car can't accelerate faster than gravity, it's that a tire can't rotate faster than it without slipping. That doesn't mean it can't go faster. It's also ignoring tire temperature and road temperature. Why do you think drag racers burn out their tires first? Hot rubber has more friction.

Beyond that, friction is not independent of surface area for non-deformable objects, like a block of steel sliding on a block of aluminum. When you introduce a deformable object like a tire, you get into a situation where the tire starts filling in the visible and microscopic grooves in the surface of the road and you get direct mechanical forces on the tire as well as friction. This is why wider tires give more grip in steering (you have more mechanical interaction of the tires with grooves) but as you continue to increase the width of the tire you get less gain in benefit because the mass forcing the tire into the pavement is spread over a larger area so the tire doesn't get forced as deep into the grooves. This is a big reason why motorcycles can go that fast. They have soft rubber compounds and less surface area, so it's gripping all the crevices in the road more than traditional care tires are.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Explain? Tires can have have >1 f_c, so I imagine they can accelerate a thing faster than 1g without slipping.

That was just to explain his assumptions. He was assuming a coefficient of friction of 1, but what the formula is explaining is that given a CoF of 1, a tire can't accelarate faster than that without slipping. I went on to explain however that because a tire deforms based on the surface it is on, that there are other factors involved besides the friction force acting on a tire that make a tire spinning faster than 1G possible.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Registered Loser posted:

Had to test out my new DSLR.

Please tell me you understand camera settings. I really can't stand people who buy really nice cameras and don't know how to get a decent exposure. That and I want to see more photos of that awesome car.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Hold the camera close to your chest (or against a pole, or on top of something else stable) for long exposure night shots. You're going to want to set the ISO to at MOST 400.

Modern DSLRs take pretty impressive low-noise photos beyond 400. I've seen photos from a 7D taken at 1600 that I would have guessed were taken at no higher than 400.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Z's look so much more awesome with those lower lip kits. Are you planning on painting it to match? A guy I met through work has a sick one with a lower lip-kit and a re-vamped interior. He showed me photos of it and now I want one more than ever.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
If I had to guess it's a special lens called a lens baby. As a photographer, I loathe them. One of the photographers for the Detroit Free Press used to use one whenever she had to take a photo of anything boring like a sign. It looks ok once or twice, but I saw her take a photo with it what seemed like weekly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dissss posted:

I put my money on Picasas Soft Focus effect (given the EXIF)

Well that's even worse.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
You should put a satellite dish on top of it painted the same color and park it in front of people's houses like something is about to go down. Also some sort of body armor jacket should be mandatory when you're driving that around.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm not big on the side profile, but the rear and front ends of that thing are loving awesome looking.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ballpoint posted:

My new car! It's an Infiniti '09 G37 Journey - pretty much base sadly

I took a few artsy photos of it. I love the car, I've been saving up for it for a while now. Great to have the power of the 370z engine with the convenience of a sedan. Now I just hope I don't get into too much trouble...

If my work didn't require me to have some kind of hatch/SUV for loading equipment I'd have a G37 sedan for sure. I'm looking at new cars and leaning toward an E35 right now, which is about as close as I can get.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Traded in my Acura RDX for an Infiniti EX35 today. Havne't had too much time to really drive it today but so far I'm very satisfied with it. It's nice having quicker power to the wheels. Drove it away after dark so forgive the dealer photo.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Yeah... sad. I sent the link to my dad since he had a 510 when I was a kid.
One question though, how do you get 93 octane fuel in the San Francisco area?

Do they really not sell 93 octane there? Pretty much all gas stations that sell premium here in FL are all 93 octane. Finding 91 octane is actually rare. I'm assuming this is emissions related?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Picked up a new 2014 Mazda3 S Grand Touring hatch yesterday. Really happy with it so far. The pop up heads up display is pretty awesome. Had to wait a few days to get it because apparently most of the dealers have one of the S GT in stock and they're almost always red which was the bottom color on my list.

Planning to black out most of the car, minus the tailights (I got pulled over for doing a light tint on my Acura a few years ago). Going to powdercoat the rims, paint the chrome badges and tint the windows (that's mostly for the drat FL sun than anything and needs to happen ASAP). I'll probably leave the chrome trim on the grill, I actually like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

You know what I would love? I know AI is more for experienced 'car people' but I want more content geared towards people just getting into it. How about an AI guide to basic upgrades? :3:

The thing about topics like that is that they are car specific, mostly because engine bay layout from car to car can vary so much and it's all the little car specific things that need to be explained. Actually installing the basic upgrades is almost always "remove old part, bolt on new part". It's steps 1-53 and 55-106 that are important, but not universal to all cars. Info like that is best found on forums specific to what car you have.