Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
For the Volvo crowd - 1998 V70R
126k miles, just bought it for $5,150.
Still have to tune and do all the normal fix small poo poo tasks..but I'm really liking it so far. Anyone got a cheap SC-901 for sale?

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

Wow, your engine bay is really clean for a '98.

I think the dealer did some clean up before I bought it...all I've done so far is wipe down the top plate with a shop rag, there was a little bit of oil residue around the filler cap, but that's to be expected at some point. Probably a drip from an oil change.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

SpartanIV posted:

I got a Kia Soul as late graduation gift. I love it! It's my first manual and a lot of fun to drive although the engine is a bit small. Can't argue with 26ish mpg though. Especially after switching from a Suburban that got 10mpg :smith:

Are you driving it really hard? Or is the estimated really 26 mpg? It seems to me that a car that size should be getting at least +30...

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Since some others posted their "First" cars, I will post this beast that made its way through the kids in my family.

1980 Pontiac Bonneville.

Haha! My first car was an '83 Bonneville.. Blue microsuede interior, drove like a boat, and the back windows only had panels that pivoted open... not bad for $500 though, got me through 1.5 years of high school.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Das Volk posted:

That's not entirely true :v:

I know some pretty empty stretches of new mexico...

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

kastein posted:

or... they could use their goddamn turn signals.

I would like a pressure sensitive brake switch - press real hard and it flashes the brake lights / sets the emergency lights, press gently while traveling at over 30mph for more than one minute and it turns on the horn. Maybe people would stop riding the brakes if their cars beeped at them for it.

Some Volvo models actually have fog taillights on a switch that increases the brightness in fog conditions.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

_firehawk posted:

I too have a blind spot on the front right, but mine is caused my my center rearview mirror basically blocking all the traffic coming from the right.

In many cars that can be fixed by adjusting your seat position.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Simple physics to winter driving:

1. accelerate, decelerate, or steer...pick one at a time.
2. only about a hand width of your tire is ever touching the ground.
3. friction is a harsh mistress so drive at appropriate speeds for the weather conditions you are facing.
4. awd/4wd will only help you accelerate, it doesn't help with stopping or steering (mostly) so keep that in mind...it doesn't make you superman.
5. the best driving is anticipating conditions ahead of time and not freaking out on the road.

Never had winter tires and have driven rear wheel, front wheel, and all wheel cars in northern michigan, wisconsin, and minnesota with no problems what so ever. Tires are not the end-all-be-all of winter driving.

Right now I'm riding on a set of bridgestone potenza pole position high performance all-seasons and they work just fine. Snow is easy to drive on, to be honest I'm more worried about rain/ice than anything else. In northern michigan there comes a point where they stop plowing and just throw sand on top. So after a few years you get pretty good a driving on snow.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

The 6-speed manuals are fairly uncommon...not as rare as some other models. But I have a 98 V70R auto and it's a lot of fun to drive.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

The 70S/V Rs came in both auto and manual but the manuals were uncommon, very few in the US.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

I have a turbo wagon and did an experiment with regular vs premium..

Long story short, the decreased mileage from the regular offset any savings from not buying premium and it drove like it was constantly underpowered (due to spark retarding). So you might as well go premium anyway or get a non-turbo car.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

meatpimp posted:

They had marks, but I got lazy and turned the crankshaft without having the belt tensioned (I wanted to "check" it before pulling the pin), and the belt jumped, then the cams jumped. I got worried that I had the crank 360* out of sequence, because I heard/felt the ding of valve against piston as I was hand-turning. I got it straight and it was fine for a few thousand miles after that, but... yeah... putting some marks like you said would have made all the difference.

Some engines you can even buy a cam lock tool that holds the gears in place while you replace the belt.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

small cam cummins. F6, 12.2L, 2800lb, 262hp.

Volvo whiteblock. I5, 2.4L, approx. 340kg, 300hp.

Edit: whoops, typo...supposed to be 2.4L.

Oxphocker fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 29, 2016

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Since we're adding mowers (rides) to the thread, thought I'd contribute...

and

I was lucky to get it used but with only like 10 hrs on the motor so basically brand new. Been using it for almost four years now and it works great. Had to add a plow and chains for the winter time because it gets really icy here and I'm not heavy enough to weight it down when the snow gets dense.

Oxphocker fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 2, 2017

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Just got it today. 2016 V60 Polestar.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

oh my god i love those wheels

Custom 20s just for Polestar models...not looking forward to the reshoeing costs

Edit: also nice username for that post.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Hell Yes.

Then you might like this...

:flashfap:

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

I was referring to how clean it is..

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Look I'm a little jealous ok I am allowed to poke fun! How many miles? Can't imagine many.

Where't they only available in white or that blue? I looked at them only-sorta seriously in 2016? Maybe 17? When they came out. You'd have to be a fool to not get it in the blue made especially for the car but people would by the non-wagon version too which has to be a crime of some kind.

35,500 miles. No worries, after all I am showing off a bit so all's fair. (edit: if I can remember tomorrow maybe I'll get a photo with the covers off for you)

It comes in blue, black, and white...and I believe there might even be a silver option. But I agree...why anyone would get this in something other than blue is crazy. The only thing I can think of would be maybe someone who really doesn't like blue or wants to keep it extra sleeper by going to black instead. In my opinion the only color in the whole Volvo lineup that is better is the laser blue from the 98-00 V70R. But I can settle for Swedish Racing Green as a second choice.

Honestly, I would have preferred 19 in tires instead of 20s just from a daily driving standpoint but it will be ok. This already has WAY better turning radius than my 06 V70R which has been a nice change for once getting into and out of parking spots.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Tremek posted:

Double secret wagon probation unless you tell us more about the V70R too. Preferably with shots of one next to the other.

Here's the day I got the 2006 V70R, I bought it back in 2014 from a guy in Boston and had it shipped to MN. Cost at the time was $15k and it had around 80k miles on it.

Here it is on my last day of having it.

Overall I really liked having it, the only real complaint was the turning radius. Originally planned to drive it to 200k, but the recent trip to the shop the repairs were going to be more than the worth of the car (shocks/springs, angle gear/haldex, etc) and so between that and the mechanic having a polestar in his showroom that kind of made the choice for me.

But wait! There's more!
An extra bonus, before the 2006 V70R, I actually had a 98 V70R as well:

I got this one out of a Toyota dealership who had no idea what they had. With this one I towed a trailer all the way from WI to NM and lived out there for three years. It had around 170k miles on it and I sold it to a guy in St Paul when I got the 06. Between the two Rs, there are some things I really missed about the 98 but having the 06 was a lot of updates which was nice too. They both had their strong points but I'm a bit nostalgic for the 98 body style, I only wish it was in laser blue instead of black because trying to keep black clean was very annoying.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I don't get it why would I be excited about a plastic engine cover :v:

Sometimes when you take the bra off, it's not quite a pretty as you were expecting...standard whiteblock layout in an I6 config.

Thanks everyone, I'm still really pumped with this purchase. Walked into the garage to grab a few photos this morning and I was still smiling about it. I've always had a thing for sleeper wagons just because it's so unexpected from most people. I've only owned six cars and five have been Volvos...so yeah it's kinda a thing. I only wish they would have stayed with more of a V70 look as opposed to moving to this V60 almost CUV look because I couldn't agree more with cars starting to all look the same.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Dagen H posted:

Either that, or a cautionary tale.

For birth control...

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

The Big Jesus posted:

Supposed to be mid-40s all week

That don't mean poo poo in MN...this is my 6th year living in this state and not a single winter has been the same yet.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Welcome to the club! :hfive:

Yes welcome :sweden:

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

The actual plates in MN are fairly cheap with normal ones like $6 and personalized ones around $100. But the registration taxes are based on the value and age of the vehicle. I think I had to pay like $450 for last year's registration (a MY '16 car). Once you get past ten years or so, it goes to a flat $35 fee for registration.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/2019-Tax-Manual.pdf

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Kilonum posted:

9n the subject of Wagons, my dream car is a 2007 Volvo V70 R

I had a 98 V70R and a 06 V70R. Both were very nice cars, though the turning radius on the 04-07 Rs was rather wide which made tight parking a pain but was very nice on the highway for sure. Currently have a 16 V60 Polestar and it's basically the updated 06 R but a lot stiffer in the suspension and updated electronics. Better turn radius, but you do lose a bit of trunk space being a 60 vs a 70. At 350hp awd turbo, it takes off like a rocket. I was just at the dealer getting some work done and they rented me a 2021 S60 T5. Not gonna lie, the 8 speed trans was butter smooth and the updated interior/electronics were nice...but I still prefer my polestar instead. Something about sport wagons I've always liked. I even had a hitch put on it so I can tow a small trailer for bigger outdoor projects and getting equipment in to be serviced. I like having that kind of versatility without dealing with truck fuel consumptions..

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Fresh from the detail:

:sweden: :hf: :sweden:
It was nice weather out last weekend, went for a drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

God drat I want one of those. Maybe after a couple more years of depreciation.

Hate to burst your bubble, but it's worth more now than when I paid for it... paid $30k, last I checked I was getting offers for $32k