Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sockington posted:

I finally got my Subaru back together so I could put it up for sale and just focus on the Miata.

How much does a swapped(?) fozzy of this gen run these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

TheGoatTrick posted:

They pop out automatically when the car is unlocked. I'm used to closing a door by pushing by the handle- a byproduct of having cars with frameless doors. You can't do that here because of the handle's hinge.

The actual infuriating part of the door handles is how they lock and unlock. The car has auto unlock, which pops the door handles out when you approach the car. Once you step out of range, they lock again. So if you pass by the side of the car on the way to put something in the trunk, they will relock. But then they won't unlock again and you have to push a tiny touch-sensitive square on the handle.

And that is the only situation where the doors will automatically lock. There's no walk away lock like there is on most cars now. That seems really dumb because the logic to do it is already present- it knows to auto lock the car after auto unlocking! To lock the car after you get out of it, you push on the tiny square on the door handle, which is popped out so the square is at an awkward angle.

This is great info, if you don't mind my asking, what's the trim level and what did you pay? I'm in the market for one currently as I just took a job in LA with a 48 mile commute, gently caress me, right? The WRX is too silly for that kind of stop and go 405 mileage. I've been looking for deals and/or incentives, I know that one of the OC dealerships is offering a flat 5k off which is nice.

Looks really slick in white, grats on the cool ride.

e; do you have a charger at home? I'm currently in an apartment and would need to do public charging so the level of pain in the rear end on that will also determine the outcome here.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 29, 2023

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

TheGoatTrick posted:

Coincidentally, I live in Irvine and my wife's commute is 30 miles of 405 stop and go to Long Beach. For the first month or so, I only used the local fast chargers, primarily the 350 kW ones at Irvine Spectrum. That one has been generally reliable, and it's not too crowded if you go before noon or after 8 PM. I usually charge from 20-30% up to 80%, and that takes under 20 minutes. 20-80%, which is a general safe range for everyday use, works out to about 46 kW of battery. That is about 210 miles for my wife (4.6 mi/kWh * 46 kW). We use the car a lot on the weekends too, so I end up charging 3x per week usually.

I did get a home charger, which is the Tesla mobile charger. It gives a lot of flexibility since it can automatically adjust for different amperage depending on what outlet you plug it into. It has tons of outlet adapters available and is UL listed. I had to get a TeslaTap to be able to use it with the Ioniq, but that's a useful thing to have anyway if you travel. TBH, I don't use the home charger that often. It costs me about $16 to do the 20-80% charge at home. Electrify America is free, and my wife's office has 10 cents/kW charging, so that costs $4.60.

The car is an SE RWD. The MSRP is $47,530. The dealer gave me a $2,500 discount (actually $4k, minus the $1480 in add on crap they refused to take off the car). That's the amount I paid tax and license on. But I leased it, so add in $950 in lease acquisition and termination fees. Hyundai then kicks in $7500 for your lease down payment. I bought the lease out as soon as I got the paperwork and still got the $7500 lol. So after all of that, I am at ~$42K. My state rebate of $2k is still pending, so when that goes through, I'll be at $40k OTD.

That flat $5k off is a Hyundai rebate. You have to finance it through them (although you can refinance it at a better rate after). You end up with a bit better discount by using the lease pass through (~$6500 after accounting for the lease start and termination fees). But the real takeaway is that since the $5k finance or $7500 lease cash are manufacturer programs, you can get the dealer to discount on top of that.

drat, what a great writeup. I really appreciate all the charging insight. I have a standard 110 socket on my balcony, so I could just hang a cord over into my parking spot in a pinch, but there's a few of those 150/350 Electrify America chargers nearby to the tune of .36 cents for Pass+ and .48 for guest, as well as a bunch of free 6-7kw baby chargers. I think with the network of chargers I have around here I'd be totally fine. Bonus if my new workplace has free chargers, but I won't know that until mid-July.

The dealer that's been bugging me, oddly enough, is Garden Grove Hyundai. I've never leased a car, but bought and sold too many to count, so I'm not quite sure how leasing really works. If I was going to get financing through my credit union, would I just sign the lease paperwork, then get the loan to buy out the lease when it comes? I wonder if that would still be considered a new car sale and get me the primo interest rate from the bank. I'll have to call them to find out, and I assume I can't trade toward a lease. My WRX has some pretty good buying power right now at about 22k trade value, not sure I'd want to try to private party sell that before I do all of the new car stuff.

Again, thanks for all of the great info. And once I start, lunch on me if you'll accept a goonlunch for confirming all of the poo poo I don't know how to formulate into google searches quite yet :respek:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

TheGoatTrick posted:

For reference, the standard 110 socket charger that comes with the car gets you about 30 miles overnight. If you plugged it in every night, you could save yourself one trip per week to a fast charger. Hyundais come with 2 years of free DC fast charging at Electrify America, though. In theory fast charging is worse for the battery, but all of the real world data I've seen shows the difference is negligible.

To buyout the lease, you first wait for the lease to be funded and for Hyundai Finance to create your account. Then, go online and get a buyout statement which gives you the total buyout amount and an expiration date (usually the date your next payment is due). Take that statement to your bank and get a loan for the exact amount. I have heard that if you do this within a certain amount of time, some banks will treat it as a new car and give you the new car interest rate. Best to ask your specific lender what their policy is. There's a ton more detail on the lease buyout steps here.

And I'm down for lunch. :hfive:

Heck yeah, thanks again. The 2yrs of EA is awesome, that solves my problem right there. I'll shoot you a PM once I get settled in at the new gig! Mini Ioniq meet coming to a parking lot near you.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Let's see the captain's chair in action!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Goodbye 2016 WRX, hello technology! Got a new job with a 51mi commute in Los Angeles, manual WRX had to go.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

It's only 2 days a week and was a 65% raise, I couldn't say no. The worst (best?) part about it is the last time I commuted it was 16mi from the south bay up to hollywood, took just as long as this new 51mi freeway stint. It's mostly against the flow of traffic (LA to OC) which is cool.

All the tech and features are so cool, I have so much to learn, there's so many buttons and screens and settings, oh my!

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 18, 2023

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Has Hyundai fixed the issue where, when single pedal driving, the brake light doesn't come on when you let off the throttle? That seemed bad.

As mentioned, yes, in regen levels 2 and 3 the brake light logic is now proper. I like using my pedal though so not applicable in my situation, but I hear a lot of people like the one pedal control. Ran the vin through the service bulletin/recall thinger today and found out that I got sold a car with two open safety related TSBs. Woo! So, car's going back to get that poo poo handled, what should I demand for the inconvenience? Also, reported to Hyundai of America because I strictly asked both the sales person and the finance guy if any open TSBs/Recalls have been handled as I knew they were out there going into this.

On a lighter note, the car is amazing thus far. So plush, so much tech, absolutely do not regret the purchase.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

davecrazy posted:

I’ve never had a dealer drill the front bracket in when I’ve asked them not to.

I was told it was now illegal for them to let one off the lot without a front plate mount when I bought my new car a few months ago, which I argued but couldn't prove wrong. 7 holes in the front later, I took it off and put it back on because of how horrible it looked :( Seven. For a plate that can easily mount with two.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yep, pretty dumb. My last two new cars had no front plate mount at my request, I assume they just drill them all when they come off the truck and just fed me some BS as they all had it done already.

Fifty Three posted:

https://bumperplugs.com/ Might be worth a look? Sorry to hear that. :(

I thought about it, but I'll just go legit on this one. Probably had enough front plate / tint tickets to last me a lifetime at this point anyhow.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

About 40% of the cars in LA don't have front license plates, because they look dumb on the majority of cars in the $350k and up range, as well as looking bad on a lot of JDM/whatever classics from the 70's and 80's.

My 83 Supra has no front plate, but that's only because I cut the bracket off before it went in for paint. Agree it looks 3000% stupid hanging off the bumper like it's supposed to.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

chrisgt posted:

Where can parking enforcement give you tickets for equipment violations when you're not driving?? This seems insane

I got a front plate ticket while parked, and then without detaching the ticket, the parking enforcement printed another for my tint. Two in one envelope! They're really filling quotas on these mean LA streets.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I’m sorry: how did they measure the light transmission of your tint? Did they just “think” it was too dark, or were your windows down enough for them to get the meter on one?

Any tint on the windows at or in front of the driver seat is illegal here, so.. my own doing, but it was still dumb, and not even that dark!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

WTFBEES posted:

I did a series of very silly things.

Delightfully silly.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

1982 Toyota Tercel - Silver

1983 Toyota Supra - Red/Black

1990 Volvo 740 Wagon - White (before digital cameras, first car)

2000 Honda Civic - Champagne?

2003 Subaru WRX - WRB Pearl (before camera phones, too cool for a digital camera)

2004 Subaru WRX - WRB Pearl

2005 Subaru WRX STi - Obsidian Black Pearl

2010 Subaru Forester - Spark Silver Metallic

2011 Honda CR-Z - Premium White Pearl

2016 Subaru WRX - Satin White Pearl

2023 Hyundai Ioniq 5 - Atlas White

All pictures of the actual cars but in chronological order, not order of ownership! Sprinkle in about 10 motorcycles as well and you've got the whole picture. Had some oddballs, if anybody has any interest in those (factory turbos, weird engine configurations, etc.)

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 24, 2023

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Can I get a printout of Oyster smiling :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

DoesNotCompute posted:

The lady at the dmv didn’t get it, the dean of engineering was hoping it was some sort of math joke. It’s great because it just seems like nonsense to 95% of people, 1% will get it and 4% will google it and be so mad.

I told them it was from some weird youtube video and they just shrugged heh.