Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
The microsoft image resize powertoy can shrink a picture down to 800x600 with 4 clicks and basically zero loadtime. Not knowing about it is the only reason I can come up with for not using it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I can't help but wish they had proportioned the mustang like a sports car, rather than a family hauler. Being that tall really takes the edge off its agressiveness. Chevrolet and Chrysler seem to do the same with their ponycar revivals.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

ThwartedEfforts posted:

Actually, and let's be honest here, fast is the one thing it ain't.

since when has 0-60 in 6 seconds been slow exactly?

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I don't think I've ever posted my crap in here. Forgive my horrible camera skills

My first car, still my daily driver whenever a heater is required - 1978 UC Holden Torana

My recently sold 2000 WH Holden Statesman

What I bought with that money - 1963 EJ Holden Special

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 19, 2009

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Just a wee 149HC, attached to a toyota 4sp. It'll pull highway speeds but it takes a while to get there. The torana is the 'powerhouse' of the driveway, with a 202 and m20

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Those are some great pictures

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

ChunksNensja posted:

To make up for the not-so-nice looking front end Ford gave it a 5.6L Windsor(factory stroked from 5.0)making 250KW/500nm with a manual transmission and LSD = :dance: Basically with an exhaust and a tune you can run a mid 13 pass and then tow your boat or haul a whole heap of crap the next day. It's pretty fun and handles well for lolpushrods and oxcart suspension.

Like you said the AU copped a lot of flak for how it looked, but I really think they had it sorted on the series II-III XRs.
Finding the stroker motor with a manual transmission is pretty awesome. I wouldn't think twice about choosing a super pursuit over a SS ute even though I'm about as pro-holden as it gets short of being a perpetually drunk V8 supercars fan.

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 3, 2010

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

You Am I posted:

Most hoons drive Commodores. So it's like doubling your points for getting pulled over.

Probably because commodores are much more popular than falcons in general

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Setanta posted:

My '64 EH Holden - a little bit worse for wear as she has a few cancer spots, but I'm slowly filling the garage with replacement panels and reproduction parts to fix that. Currently running a 202 red motor but soon to receive an original 179 with a later model EFI head and fuel injection or a Nissan RB30.

Easiest car in the world to work on - I love it.

A premier too! Nice mate. I think that makes 3 EJ/H in AI now

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Maybe you have to have grown up on a steady diet of the average EH, with 13-14" period wheels to see what is You Am I is getting at with those big chrome ones. The stance goes funny with wheels that size.

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 15, 2010

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Parabellum posted:

New daily. Its currently in pieces :v:

'88 with a late silvertop and a full suspension setup put through it by the previous owner.
Probably going to put some 15" period wheels on it and generally give it some attention.

what is happening to the EJ :ohdear:

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Expanded the fleet in the last few weeks

1984 Statesman Caprice

1996 Cherokee Limited

Starting to understand how Darryl Kerrigan felt

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

eames posted:

The ultimate proof that even Pininfarina isn’t perfect!

'72 304 Peugeot Cabriolet

My mom bought this car in the mid 70s, drove it for a few summers and then parked it in a garage for 35 years or so. I finally got the time to revive it this year and after a few quick fixes it runs surprisingly well. :3:
It even has a hardtop, needs fixing though.

I had no idea these came as a convertible. Very cool

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Yeah; cop that, guy with an overall really quite nice new car

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

z3bracak3 posted:

I know that the majority of these cars aren't anything to write home about, but as an aussie who has basically no chance of ever owning one I want an 80s G-Body badly. They look amazing

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Interior! '63 Holden Special

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
The car djcommie drove is a Morris Minor Traveller, not a mini.

I don't know if they came that way from the factory, but i've seen a few windows mini countrymen/travellers without the wooden trim

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I went for a drive this morning and stopped to take a couple of photos of my car

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

tobu posted:

Amazing EJ. Does it have its original engine?

My mother drove an EJ wagon when I was born and her left leg was noticeably larger due to the clutch. Then my father had the strangest midlife crisis and bought an EH wreck and restored it until it won 'Best Classic Holden' two years running locally. Why is this a strange mid-life crisis? Because like me my father hasn't got a mechanically bone in his body and ended up basically paying for his mechanics retirement.

He sold it a few years ago to buy something easier to drive(Fiat 500 twinair which I will be grabbing some sound from once my gopro arrives) but he loved that car.

Here is my dad's '63 EH Holden Special (it's got a red 186 in it though):

edit: while look at these images I had vivid flashbacks of walking on that bonnet as a ten year old. It didn't bend or bow.

Thanks. It's got a red 149 and a floor shifted toyota four speed in it now, along with a HR disc brake front end.

Your old man's car is a beauty. I've always thought they looked best in that turquoise colour. With the spats and visor it reminds me of a cortina down here that I always lust after (unfortunately not mine):

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

tobu posted:

Because if you are... nope nothing like them. They are basically just to stop the harsh Aussie sun melting you to some green vinyl. Ours used to hum so loudly at above 35 mph you couldn't hear the cars single speaker radio. The radio was called the air-chief and it actually was removable from the dash so you could take it on picnics.

Very smooth Cortina.

Meanwhile, Those disc brakes must be a god-send - Our car barely stopped on the drums but even when it did it was enough to make you slide off the slippery vinyl because it had no seat belts just some straps from the roof that you wrapped around your wrist.

And you have four toyota gears? luxury! We had three on the tree with no synchro on two and three.

with all the changes it drives with the dynamic refinement of a turn of the 80s Holden :allears: It certainly isn't a modern car, but it's plenty usable as a daily drive. I've got lap sash seatbelts, but I still end up sliding up and down the bench when cornering.

I'm jealous of the picnic radio. My hope to replace the ugly modern cd player in mine with one was dashed when I realised how much they go for on ebay.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Every time I see a Focus ST I get a little more excited for the Fiesta ST. I hope it looks as good

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Edit: beaten

Surely it's cheaper to make panel gaps adjustable than suffer the percieved quality hit that comes with uneven gaps

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 12, 2013

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I set out to buy a new, reliable, economical and fun hatchback. I managed to get one of those things.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a hella nice ride, right there. Is it a 1.6 or 1.9?

Australia got the neutered 'export' version of the 1.9, but this one has had an engine swap recently with a rebuilt Citroen BX 1.9, along with the transmission and some go faster bits from a 405 Mi16. Theoretically it's putting down something near to the 130hp of the euro 1.9. Even driving this right after the current Swift Sport, Polo GTI, Skoda Fabia vRS and Citroen DS3 DSport; the handling is a revelation.

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 6, 2013

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Gern Blandsten posted:

I bought a new car:

I've always lusted after these and their funky dash arrangement. Whenever I've been in a car buying position my searching only really turned up alfasuds and 33s though

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Budget Monty posted:

Here's my Daily. Simple 4 switch/8 valve air suspension with electric back up and engine driven compressor (No computer controlled ride height, all old-school), 100 spoke 14x7 reverse wires, and the original 283/Powerglide was swapped for a new crate 305/rebuilt TH350 with all original manifolds/carb (Rebuilt). Has not left me stranded once to date Been daily-ing it for about a year now...

Even beside the fact that you're car is awesome, there's nothing cooler in my mind than someone using an old car as a daily.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

DropShadow posted:

There's a very clear line between wagon & hatchback, and it's the D-pillar. :colbert:

Counting pillars doesn't always work out

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

You're getting a tiny bit predictable, DV :v:

Can't fault you for sticking to M3s, though.

The idea of having to get a silver BMW built-to-order was confusing till he started talking about options

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I can't tell where the HDR stops and the vinyl starts

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

catears posted:

My 1998 Civic Type-R ek9:

Took a while for one in this condition to crop up but the wait was worth it... I have put 15 inch wheels back on with 55 profile tyres which is standard and for a Type-R it is very comfortable on the road and is just a joy to drive around.

That is a thing of wonder. I can't remember seeing a pair of those recaros so unworn.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I sold all my broken old poo poo and bought a handbag

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

You Am I posted:

I didn't know they were selling the 3 door versions in Australia. Ford Oz usually only imports five door versions. Nice :)

I was kind of surprised myself. There aren't any RHD 5 door STs; and most of the time we miss out on anything 3 door because 'no one buys them'

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Jefinabox posted:

1962 Commer PA camper van with my mini van behind it.

Half fared wheels and a sliding drivers door :allears:

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

It looks less pink in this shot:

Rear engine, RWD, it's basically a Porsche 911

Every time an Imp pops up on gumtree I get a head full of dumb ideas. They are the coolest little things

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

jediguy posted:

I finally have something to post in this drat forum. Megane RB8. I think I'm in love.

I lust after these every time I see them. Awesome, awesome car

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

So drat perfect

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
At this point the bluebird has to be rarer than the skyline. I can't remember the last time I saw close to that tidy

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
blue car

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Rationalizing car choices is the opposite of automotive insanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Aargh posted:

A couple of slightly better photos of my car. Still dirty and still meaning to take some good shots...

Nice! DSG or manual?

I keep going back and forth between wanting on of these to replace my Fiesta ST, or getting an older Forester XT. The Skoda is so cool but I want a wagon to haul bikes/camping gear, and the vRS is just as low as my Fiesta which scrapes everything the moment I leave pavement