Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The optical based system on the previous shape worked at quite high speeds in other markets - I think around 90kph. If you got radar cruise as well it would work at highway speeds.

Now that the auto braking stuff is standard in almost everything we’re going to see a lot more of these issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Radar cruise keeps disabling on ours on the highway when it gets covered with snow. Kind of annoying to have the cluster flashing an error screen for a few hours drive, and you can't do "dumb cruise" while the radar mode is not working.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's a feature, not a bug. The radar sits behind the Mazda insignia on the front, and it snows over in a few minutes whenever there is a hint of snow in the air :v:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Yeah if the radar cruise and auto high beams can't figure out what the hell is going on they default to off. Lane departure warning is the same way and will display a certain icon if it can't find the lines to start with.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

TealShark posted:

2019 & 2020 Mazda 3s are being recalled because they car might just decide to slam on the breaks because reasons. I've had this happen on my 2019, it was terrifying. The mechanic at one dealership said that I probably had a foggy windshield. I don't go to that dealership anymore.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/20/mazda3-recall-emergency-braking/

Oh funny, I was wondering why it did that.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Funny story about that happening on my '18 3 right after reading the initial post.

The brakes didn't slam on the BRAKE!!! alarm came on the HUD, when there was a car about 10 lengths ahead of me

And then I saw a cop pointing a radar gun at me. Pretty sure I got the car version of a missile launch warning which I thought was pretty neat.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I have a decent sized dog who likes to slobber when we are in the car driving. '16 Mazda 3 hatch, I can find rubber cargo mats but can't seem to track down rubber mats for the back of the rear seats when they're folded down. Any ideas?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

I have a decent sized dog who likes to slobber when we are in the car driving. '16 Mazda 3 hatch, I can find rubber cargo mats but can't seem to track down rubber mats for the back of the rear seats when they're folded down. Any ideas?

Try out https://www.weathertech.com/ for custom-sized materials that should be exactly what you need.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Dealer? Subaru makes them for outbacks and foresters and stuff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

Funny story about that happening on my '18 3 right after reading the initial post.

The brakes didn't slam on the BRAKE!!! alarm came on the HUD, when there was a car about 10 lengths ahead of me

And then I saw a cop pointing a radar gun at me. Pretty sure I got the car version of a missile launch warning which I thought was pretty neat.

They should equip these things with a full suite of electronic warfare countermeasures. It's not enough to warn you that the cop is running cheapo radar, it should pop chaff and start jamming RF to destroy the gun as well.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Farewell Mazda thread, the ol’ 3 made it to 109420 and I decided to trade it in for a ‘17 Accord Hybrid. Did me proud, kicked check engine light the last 2 days then it magically went off when I handed it over. I may have some filters laying around if anyone wants them, will check either tonight or tomorrow. Made sure to save my state-issue 666 plates in remembrance.

Thanks for humoring me over the years.

Edit: I do have a stackable cabin air filter (beck/arnley) and apparently 2 engine air filters (Fram CA9898, which I think are for my Mazda). I also have a bunch of LED bulbs, not sure if those are universal to other cars or not. If anyone wants them just pay shipping and they’re yours.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 9, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i replaced the spark plugs in my wife's cx5 (2.5L) yesterday and noticed that one of the plugs smelled like gas while the others did not. any chance i've got a leaky or defective injector?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey I tightened the parking brake on my 2006 3 the other day. I noticed the pads stick in the morning and clunk loose when I drive away. Did I tighten it too much? Am I pulling it too hard now?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Charles posted:

Hey I tightened the parking brake on my 2006 3 the other day. I noticed the pads stick in the morning and clunk loose when I drive away. Did I tighten it too much? Am I pulling it too hard now?

Mine have rusted or frozen on just a little bit overnight since the car was new. Maybe yours are working right for the first time in a while.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

eddiewalker posted:

Mine have rusted or frozen on just a little bit overnight since the car was new. Maybe yours are working right for the first time in a while.

Yeah I always have the creaking / squealing rust out the driveway. The dealer was supposed to tighten it last time but they didn't. It's super easy on this car though and I tightened it a lot because I like the feeling of a tight handbrake.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They should equip these things with a full suite of electronic warfare countermeasures. It's not enough to warn you that the cop is running cheapo radar, it should pop chaff and start jamming RF to destroy the gun as well.

Yeah, lol

I would think that this shouldn't happen because it would be regulated by the government though. It's not good that the cop speed detection radar can jam the automotive radar systems, especially when people start heavily relying more and more on automotive radar to control their car as driving assistance features become more sophisticated.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I installed an Alpine iLX-W650 Android Auto head unit in my 1st gen MS3.

Pretty cool to have spotify, waze, google maps, and a few other apps available while driving. It wasn't too hard to do, but the wiring harness is a huge loving mess.

Not really obvious here, but Crutchfield sells this Metra bezel kit to fit the double din head unit into the original location. The bezel was matte or satin black plastic and I decided to try my hand at putting on some 3m 1080 gloss black vinyl wrap (Although the back side of the vinyl says 2080 so I'm wondering if I was sold a different product). It turned out alright and blends in with the HVAC and dash trim that's piano black.

I haven't driven with it yet, but I'm pretty happy with the result so far.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I was thinking of getting something but Android Auto / iphone units are still expensive. Actual Bluetooth speakerphones (the kind you clip on the visor) are getting kind of hard to find and my old one makes buzzing noises.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Any advice on what to expect when dealing with Mazda for a power train warranty issue? Apparently the transmission on my 2016 cx-5 is having issues (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZElLT6zgvDs). I just talked with a local dealer who said to call Mazda roadside service tomorrow, have the car towed to them, and they'll give me a loaner.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 6, 2020

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I replaced the front seat bar bushings in my MS3 last night, and fingers crossed, have fixed the clunking on the front end.

I also managed to do it without disconnecting the LCAs or dropping the subframe.

Although it's a pretty cramped job and I burned my forehead on the cat or resonator or downpipe, or whatever that pipe is.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is it normal for the skyactiv transmission torque converter to not feel locked up when the car is cold? Once it's up to operating temp its fine but it feels more slushy when cold.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

Is it normal for the skyactiv transmission torque converter to not feel locked up when the car is cold? Once it's up to operating temp its fine but it feels more slushy when cold.

How old is the car, and how many miles on it? If >60k miles, has it ever been flushed?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I pulled my MS3 driver's side seat out on the weekend to see why it was loose on one corner... turns out the seat lifter arm on that side is cracked right off its welds. There's an NHTSA recall campaign for that, but my car is outside that VIN range, and also Canadian. Transport Canada never issued a matching recall. Any advice on how to pursue this with Mazda Canada?

e: Actually, looking at the recall, it appears to be a different part that's cracked and I might be SOL.

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 21, 2020

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
So I replaced my brake pads at 45k mi. I’m at 90k mi now, so I figured I’d check the brake pad wear.

The fronts still have some meat on them, but the rear pads are basically gone (at least the outer pads are; haven’t checked the inner pads). Is this typical?

When I replaced my pads the first time, the rears had tons of life left, but I just replaced them anyways. Wondering if I hosed something up.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
When I went in to the dealer for an oil change with my 2017 CX-5, the dealer happily told me that I need the 48000km maintenance package for $200 (on top of the oil change). Since I was only at 45K km, I told him that I'll wait for now, but asked what was the things that needed to be done?

quote:

This include four wheel brake servicing/maintenance
Looking in the manual at the maintenance schedule, at 48K km I need to have inspected: Drive belts, Disc brakes, Engine coolant level, Brake and clutch fluid level and Washer fluid level. The only thing remotely resembling what he said is the disk brakes and they only need to be inspected (and cleaned, repaired, replaced if needed I suppose). Is that a $200 (CAD) job? Should I bother next time? Should I even go to them anymore? I have a mechanic that I know and trust that I'm going to with my wife's car and used to with my old Mazda, but I thought I should go to the dealer for the warranty. I'll ask him anyway next time, what does he think about the "wheel brake servicing" business.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

hattersmad posted:

So I replaced my brake pads at 45k mi. I’m at 90k mi now, so I figured I’d check the brake pad wear.

The fronts still have some meat on them, but the rear pads are basically gone (at least the outer pads are; haven’t checked the inner pads). Is this typical?

When I replaced my pads the first time, the rears had tons of life left, but I just replaced them anyways. Wondering if I hosed something up.

Check the inner pads. If they're good, there's good odds that the calipers are seized (from rust, generally) or not adjusted right (e-brake).

Mazda disc rear brakes are crap.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Volguus posted:

When I went in to the dealer for an oil change with my 2017 CX-5, the dealer happily told me that I need the 48000km maintenance package for $200 (on top of the oil change). Since I was only at 45K km, I told him that I'll wait for now, but asked what was the things that needed to be done?

Looking in the manual at the maintenance schedule, at 48K km I need to have inspected: Drive belts, Disc brakes, Engine coolant level, Brake and clutch fluid level and Washer fluid level. The only thing remotely resembling what he said is the disk brakes and they only need to be inspected (and cleaned, repaired, replaced if needed I suppose). Is that a $200 (CAD) job? Should I bother next time? Should I even go to them anymore? I have a mechanic that I know and trust that I'm going to with my wife's car and used to with my old Mazda, but I thought I should go to the dealer for the warranty. I'll ask him anyway next time, what does he think about the "wheel brake servicing" business.

Do what it says in your manual, the dealer is doing what dealers do, try to rip you off.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Regarding my rear brake pad issue, I think the grease I used on the caliper slides last time caused the rubber bushing to swell and prevent the caliper from being able to move. It took all my strength to get the caliper off the slides. So I put in metal slide inserts this time around instead of the rubber ones, and some different grease. Hopefully the rears wear slower this time around.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Previa_fun posted:

I've noticed this too. The transmission on my newish '19 definitely slips a lot more than I expected it to, and I mostly notice it when the car's cold. It's the biggest issue I've experienced in my 4 months with the car

#2 is radar cruise deactivating randomly in the rain, and #3 is the mediocre fuel economy

These are all nitpicks though; on the whole it has been great for my 90 mile roundtrip commute

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
After 9 years of often frustrating ownership I have sold my MS6.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wibla posted:

How old is the car, and how many miles on it? If >60k miles, has it ever been flushed?

It's a 2015 with 40K miles. Never been flushed AFAIK but I bought it certified pre-owned just a few months ago. The dealership might have flushed the tranny but probably not due to low mileage.

Either way it works fine most of the time but if it's really cold out the first few miles the torque converter really seems to slip. I'm guessing because it does the same thing on 19s as well it's programmed to do so to quickly warm up transmission fluid or something.

10/10 great car, would buy again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Took the '20 3 in for the "occasionally brakes for ghosts" recall. The dealer called back an hour later and were like "yeah our computers aren't working so we didn't want to risk trying to patch it." :shrug:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The buying thread convinced me to look at 3s and I really liked them. I drove my old car for 15 years, so I'm considering buying a 2020 3 Premium, and planning on driving it until it, too, can't pass inspection. However, I'm also looking at this 2017 Grand Touring. I know people are more annoyed by the old HUD, the 2017 is allegedly louder and bumpier, and I'm missing out on the "knowing everything that's been done to it" of a new car, but it's also $10K cheaper.

You're the people who'd know, so, if I can afford the 2020, how much benefit is there to saving money and going with the used 2017?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The 2017 might not have Android auto/carplay (it's an available update, you might be able to negotiate that in)

Smaller screen
No start/stop auto cruise control (shuts off under 30kph)
No AWD option.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Mazdas tend to depreciate more than other Japanese brands so keep that in mind if you go with the new car but if you plan to keep it for a long time anyway I'd go with the 20 for the nicer interior and quality of life improvements.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Buy new; keep Mazda alive.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

The buying thread convinced me to look at 3s and I really liked them. I drove my old car for 15 years, so I'm considering buying a 2020 3 Premium, and planning on driving it until it, too, can't pass inspection. However, I'm also looking at this 2017 Grand Touring. I know people are more annoyed by the old HUD, the 2017 is allegedly louder and bumpier, and I'm missing out on the "knowing everything that's been done to it" of a new car, but it's also $10K cheaper.

You're the people who'd know, so, if I can afford the 2020, how much benefit is there to saving money and going with the used 2017?

Drive both and see if it makes a difference, but they did a ton of ergonomic improvements for the new car. If you plan to keep it forever, I'd buy new, plus you get a warranty for a few years.

If you really want to get a granular on the car and all the engineering know how, Savagegeese's review is unbeatable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQDqwecojc

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

hattersmad posted:

Regarding my rear brake pad issue, I think the grease I used on the caliper slides last time caused the rubber bushing to swell and prevent the caliper from being able to move. It took all my strength to get the caliper off the slides. So I put in metal slide inserts this time around instead of the rubber ones, and some different grease. Hopefully the rears wear slower this time around.

You can't use petroleum-based grease on the rubber. Silicone works (I use Sil-Glyde). Anti-seize is petroleum-based, so that's out.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Yeah...lesson learned. I didn’t know that 2 years ago when I did the last brake job. I was going to go with metal slide inserts this time around anyways instead of the stock rubber ones for other reasons, but good to know next time I put grease on rubber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Also, since I didn’t post pictures here of my finished work, here’s a cross post from the ‘what did you do to your ride’ thread

hattersmad posted:

Had to do the brakes on the Mazdaspeed3, figured I’d go a little extra this time around.

Painted calipers red, put on stainless steel lines, slotted rotors, and Stoptech 309 pads. Also put in metal inserts for the caliper slides instead of the stock rubber ones.

Took me all last weekend, but overall I’m pleased with myself, having never painted calipers or replaced lines before.