Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«165 »
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about CX-3s? Starting to think about buying a 2016/17 in the near future, fully loaded ones are dropping into the $15k price range around me and its a lot of car for the price.

I know they don't have much in the name of cargo space or rear legroom, but at most we'll have our dogs in the back seat and I'll just treat it like an oversize hatchback if I need more cargo room. A CX-5 is bigger than I'd prefer and I'd have to take a few steps down in options for it to be affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 27, 2004

Geoj posted:

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about CX-3s? Starting to think about buying a 2016/17 in the near future, fully loaded ones are dropping into the $15k price range around me and its a lot of car for the price.

I know they don't have much in the name of cargo space or rear legroom, but at most we'll have our dogs in the back seat and I'll just treat it like an oversize hatchback if I need more cargo room. A CX-5 is bigger than I'd prefer and I'd have to take a few steps down in options for it to be affordable.

Iíve got a 3 hatch and it already feels cozy. I canít imagine going smaller at this point.

The CX3 is 10 inches skinner and 14 inches shorter than the 3, but only an inch taller.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Turbo only on AWD so no manual. Womp womp.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Iíve got a 3 hatch and it already feels cozy. I canít imagine going smaller at this point.

The CX3 is 10 inches skinner and 14 inches shorter than the 3, but only an inch taller.

This. The 3 Hatch is a larger car with more usable space than the CX3. Better value all around.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've driven the CX-3, it's an annoying small car that plays at being a crossover.

Much prefer the 3 hatchback over it.

But of course they had to make the EV version based on the CX-3 (or something similar? I dunno, they call it the the CX-30 anyway).

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The EV (MX-30) is based on the CX-30, which is supposed to between the CX-3 and CX-5 wrt size.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

It's also got a different body to the CX-30.

The other thing with the CX-3 is that it's an older model now whereas the 3 and CX-30 are brand new and get much nicer interiors. Personally I'd take an absolute base 3 over any CX-3

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I had a good look at a CX-3 and the boot is absolutely tiny, it's very clearly based on the Mazda 2. I ended up getting a 3 ( sadly with the 120ps petrol engine)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Other than size (again, not a problem - I typically prefer small cars, two person household, no kids in our future, etc) anything bad about it? Horrendous road nosie, alignment problems, known gremlins, tends to rust in certain places, etc.

I'm mostly after LED headlights and adaptive cruise control, and getting that in a CX-5 or 3 quickly puts me well above my budget, into something with too many miles for most banks to touch or with a stick - which I wouldn't be opposed to but my wife refuses to drive a manual.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 14, 2020

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nothing wrong with it, it just isn't as good as Mazda's other offerings.

BTW even the most basic 3 has LED headlights and adaptive cruise nowadays - manual AC and the plastic steering wheel are pretty much the only cheap feeling things on the base car for this gen.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Went to look at a CX-3, the dealbreaker was having to choose between using the armrest or the cup holders.

Going to see a '17 3 GT hatchback tonight - turns out getting the i-activsense package on a 3 is drat near impossible without making a daytrip across state lines so dropping that as a requirement (and local dealers aggressively dropping prices) moved them back in budget. Assuming there aren't any glaring problems or its a former smoker's car it'll be coming home with me.

big crush on Chad OMG
Feb 22, 2005

My man, have you considered leasing a GT-R?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Has anyone had experience with the tire pressure warning on a Mazda3 coming on at random?

My girlfriend has a 2017 model, and it's taken to randomly turning the tire pressure warning light on when the pressures are all fine. Each time, I'll verify the pressures cold and do the reset procedure, but the light will come on again a couple weeks later.

Since it's previously caught a slow leak in a tire, I'm pretty sure the system can detect an actually low tire, and since the light only seems to come on during or immediately after interstate driving, I'm wondering if the car isn't somehow confusing the pressure increase for a decrease.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

azflyboy posted:

Has anyone had experience with the tire pressure warning on a Mazda3 coming on at random?

My girlfriend has a 2017 model, and it's taken to randomly turning the tire pressure warning light on when the pressures are all fine. Each time, I'll verify the pressures cold and do the reset procedure, but the light will come on again a couple weeks later.

Since it's previously caught a slow leak in a tire, I'm pretty sure the system can detect an actually low tire, and since the light only seems to come on during or immediately after interstate driving, I'm wondering if the car isn't somehow confusing the pressure increase for a decrease.

I get the same problem sometimes on my 2016 Mazda3. There are a lot of false alarms for flat tires. It seems to happen more frequently after I get the tires rotated, or a flat patched, or buy new tires, and gradually becomes less frequent.

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

Check the manual to see if it will light if the pressure is too high (they usually do). I wonder if it's sensitive enough to get tripped from highway heat.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The manual doesn't specify whether it triggers off higher pressures, but that's my theory until proven otherwise.

I've got a 2015 Mazda3 that's never had that problem, but since my car has tires with substantially more sidewall than the 2017, that may make the TPMS less sensitive.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've had that happen on 18"s on my 2015 3, and during cold spells in the winter with 16" winter wheels on. It'll also happen if your tires don't have equal pressure on both sides, or if your brakes are partially stuck, heating up the wheel (and tire) ... that last one wasn't fun.

It's an okay system, but kinda finicky, because it relies on the ABS sensors to work. If they start going out, you'll have all kinds of fun issues.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

= (Displacement through a hetero medium) / Time

Nap Ghost

My 2014 has thrown false tire warnings at least twice. Like Wibla said because the ABS sensors are used to tell if a tire is out of whack the warning can be set off if there's enough of a pressure differential which can be caused by things other than a tire actually being low. It's fun when it happens on the freeway and you get to play the "Is that sound and/or steering pull the lovely pavement or am I currently grinding up a sidewall and am seconds away from potentially losing control?" game.

Did the 4th gen move to actual in tire sensors?

eddiewalker
Apr 27, 2004

Iíve had wheel slip on gravel and ice trigger the abs-tpms on my 3. Seems like an OK trade for not needing sensors in the tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Fabulousity posted:

My 2014 has thrown false tire warnings at least twice. Like Wibla said because the ABS sensors are used to tell if a tire is out of whack the warning can be set off if there's enough of a pressure differential which can be caused by things other than a tire actually being low. It's fun when it happens on the freeway and you get to play the "Is that sound and/or steering pull the lovely pavement or am I currently grinding up a sidewall and am seconds away from potentially losing control?" game.

Did the 4th gen move to actual in tire sensors?

No idea but my 2019 has done false low pressure warnings twice in 8 months of ownership. Oh well

«165 »