Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

hattersmad posted:

Also, since I didn’t post pictures here of my finished work, here’s a cross post from the ‘what did you do to your ride’ thread

Are you talking about these inserts/bushings?
https://damondmotorsports.com/products/mazdaspeed3-brake-caliper-bushings

Did it change the brake pedal feel at all? I've been meaning to do a brake flush on my car, but my friend that would help is on some immunosuppressants, so he's on lockdown until all this corona stuff clears up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Yep, those are exactly the ones! And honestly...no, not really. But, I’ve only been DD’ing on them, no track time yet. I was planning on taking the car to the track this year, but my plans have obviously changed :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Longtime Mazda aftermarket supplier Corksport was robbed yesterday. Over $25K worth of poo poo stolen!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Longtime Mazda aftermarket supplier Corksport was robbed yesterday. Over $25K worth of poo poo stolen!

Good stuff or just shift knobs and colorful air filters? Anything for 04-09 Mazda 3s?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No specifics were given. What a shittu day for those guys.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Might wanna verify your news sources

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I completely blanked on what day it was. Jesus.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Washed for the first time in probably 6 months. Also claybarred. I ordered some Dr. Colorchip to try and fill in a bunch of rock chips that are through the paint down to primer or metal. Hopefully it helps a little.

Still need to buy some sealant of some sort, but i'm avoiding going to stores, and Amazon's scheduled delivery isn't til the end of april it looks like.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My passenger headlight keeps filling up with water. Should I replace the whole headlight?

Can I use 194 bulbs instead of 2825 for the license plate? I have a bunch of those in LED.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
194 seemed to work fine, I'll have to wait until dark to see if they're bright or whatever. It's still a little loose in the socket like the old bulb so can still flicker off and on though. Looks like it'd be a chore to replace the wiring. Maybe I could bend the pins?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My passenger headlight keeps filling up with water. What should I do about it? Replace it? Looks like bumper and fender liner would have to be removed, then I presume reaiming. Seems like a lot of work.

It has these breather hoses and all of them look like they have a sponge material in them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Buy new headlight housings.

It looks like a tedious job but not that hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfT6p9896HY

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Alright, my bumper is smacked to hell on the bottom so I worry about getting stuff lined back up if I take it off 🤷🏻‍♂️

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I don't know how the fasteners work exactly, but I would definitely order a big pack of body clips or whatever fasteners are used there, because I know I would break something.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

More Mazda rumor time: https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-mazda-6-will-be-rear-wheel-drive-with-an-inlin-1842862434

Car and Driver said via Jalopnik posted:

Mazda plans to adopt the blueprint of a full luxury model and hang a lower price on it. The next-generation 6, which should be on sale by the end of 2022, is set to get a full Bavarian, transitioning to a longitudinal-engine platform with rear-wheel drive and an inline-six.

That engine won’t just be a new layout for Mazda. It will incorporate the company’s Skyactiv-X sort-of-compression-ignition gasoline technology as well as a 48-volt hybrid system. We’ve seen numbers approaching 350 horsepower thrown around. If that sounds like an unrealistic R&D load for a company Mazda’s size, well, yeah, it is. However, Mazda has lately been deepening its ties with Toyota, which may adopt the six-cylinder Skyactiv-X for the next-generation Lexus IS and RC.

If true I think this might be the car my ghost rides around in once Corona gets me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bet there's a new RX-7 coming too.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That car sounds awesome even though I'm pretty sure I toxxed that the Mazda straight six would never make it stateside. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm still enjoying my old 6 even though it's underpowered. This car is the first automatic with a manual mode that's worth a drat IMO.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

That car sounds awesome even though I'm pretty sure I toxxed that the Mazda straight six would never make it stateside. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm still enjoying my old 6 even though it's underpowered. This car is the first automatic with a manual mode that's worth a drat IMO.

The Skyactiv automatic transmissions are great, shame they don't have a couple more gears :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oop there goes my passenger window motor.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Wow! Rode around in a family friend's 929 in Tokyo many years ago and it remains one of my automotive high water marks. Here's hoping they recapture the spirit of that car :flashfap:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess this is only a borderline Mazda specific question, but..

OK so I've pretty much given up on my 12 year old car being in any sort of immaculate state, but until now my 2008 3 has been free of the wheel well rust cancer. Yesterday while I was going around the car I noticed that both sides have a small red disturbance in the force along the inner edge (not the outer edge where it folds into the rear panels). I'm not really sure how to best tackle this to prevent an outright case of the classic Mazda 3 "look". If I take a flapper wheel to where I see rust, apply rust converter, let it do its thing, and then just slather over in touch-up paint, is that going to get me in the ballpark? Or is this a case of "it's behind the metal" and I'm just fighting a losing battle now?

This car has like a year or two left tops so I'm not looking for any drastic action but I figure if I can keep it from flaking apart then I've won the battle of medium-long-term ownership in my mind.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Does anyone in here with a first generation Mazda3/MS3 have a phone mount they like? I need someway to mount my phone now that I have android auto head unit. I'd prefer not to use an adhesive tape to mount something to the dash, but the little conical-shaped mounts that you wedge in to the air vent didn't hold at all in the center vents.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
how do i go about wisely shoring up my '11 Mazda3 for the next 100,000 miles?

its been a dream of a car up to 85,000 here. only regular maintenance has been needed up until a spark plug replacement at at 80,000 which was technically overdue.

i trust an autoshop my company uses for our stuff, just dont know how to broach the preventative maintenance thing. so far im referencing the manual and what the dealership advertises as "100,000 mile service." i do feel like theres some slack with the engine, its hummin a little differently, maybe slightly off-time or whatever. thoughts? i love this car, been around the country with it

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Does anyone in here with a first generation Mazda3/MS3 have a phone mount they like? I need someway to mount my phone now that I have android auto head unit. I'd prefer not to use an adhesive tape to mount something to the dash, but the little conical-shaped mounts that you wedge in to the air vent didn't hold at all in the center vents.

I had this one that I really liked, but I can't actually find it for sale anywhere anymore: https://www.bracketron.com/media/support/installation/MAZ-101-04.pdf

Though I have to ask, if you have AA, why do you need to mount your phone? I have CarPlay in my current car and whenever I use it I just plug in the phone and throw it in the center console.

e: this one is similar and still available: https://www.proclipusa.com/product/853371-proclip-angled-mount

20 Blunts posted:

how do i go about wisely shoring up my '11 Mazda3 for the next 100,000 miles?

Ignore whatever the dealer tries to sell you as a "XXk miles service". Just do whatever it tells you to do in your manual at those intervals.

opengl fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 27, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rust is likely to be the main problem, so stay on top of that :v:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

opengl128 posted:

I had this one that I really liked, but I can't actually find it for sale anywhere anymore: https://www.bracketron.com/media/support/installation/MAZ-101-04.pdf

Though I have to ask, if you have AA, why do you need to mount your phone? I have CarPlay in my current car and whenever I use it I just plug in the phone and throw it in the center console.

e: this one is similar and still available: https://www.proclipusa.com/product/853371-proclip-angled-mount

Yeah I had found that proclip product while searching around, but $30 seems kind of pricey when I still need to fasten some other mount or magnets to it, to make it work.

Mostly I'd like to have a mount to keep it somewhere handy. If I'm driving and want my girlfriend to punch in some address or something into google maps, its easier to type it into the phone than it is to try and key it in on the head unit while we're moving. Also, either Android Auto, or the head unit is a little finicky and I've had to unplug and plug back in the USB cable to get it work right, sometimes. I'm not sure what causes this, but if it's sitting in the center console that's harder to do.

Maybe I'll just get the proclip model and superglue some magnets to it or something.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Yeah I had found that proclip product while searching around, but $30 seems kind of pricey when I still need to fasten some other mount or magnets to it, to make it work.

Mostly I'd like to have a mount to keep it somewhere handy. If I'm driving and want my girlfriend to punch in some address or something into google maps, its easier to type it into the phone than it is to try and key it in on the head unit while we're moving. Also, either Android Auto, or the head unit is a little finicky and I've had to unplug and plug back in the USB cable to get it work right, sometimes. I'm not sure what causes this, but if it's sitting in the center console that's harder to do.

Maybe I'll just get the proclip model and superglue some magnets to it or something.

When I used the mount I linked in my MS3, I paired it with a phone specific RAM mount. I still use one on my bike, they look like this: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-AP29U

Not the universal grip crud, they have specific mounts to a ton of phones. Maybe see if they have one for yours.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

opengl128 posted:

Ignore whatever the dealer tries to sell you as a "XXk miles service". Just do whatever it tells you to do in your manual at those intervals.

didn't mean to hit and run AI - i know the N-miles service packages are mostly a rip-off.

Just listening to the engine, it seems like when I first fire the car, its revving too much and then arbitrarily leveling back down to a normal level all while in park.

For a long time now the car has had this ghost squeak. when i engage the gas pedal cruising anywhere from slow speeds to interstate, there would super infrequently be this squeak right as let my foot off the gas. that squeak is no longer infrequent, and it seems to accompany a sluggishness with the car overall.

ive had the timing belt replaced and the throttle looked at and the squeak remains. between the squeak and the sluggishness i think im looking towards the transmission? but man, something like a flush makes me nervous. I've basically saved up the past few months to get my car some TLC, just want to get this thing back to the crisp acceleration it used to have...

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

20 Blunts posted:

didn't mean to hit and run AI - i know the N-miles service packages are mostly a rip-off.

Just listening to the engine, it seems like when I first fire the car, its revving too much and then arbitrarily leveling back down to a normal level all while in park.

This is normal. It's called a high or fast idle and is done to warm the engine up quicker for emissions purposes.

20 Blunts posted:

For a long time now the car has had this ghost squeak. when i engage the gas pedal cruising anywhere from slow speeds to interstate, there would super infrequently be this squeak right as let my foot off the gas. that squeak is no longer infrequent, and it seems to accompany a sluggishness with the car overall.

ive had the timing belt replaced and the throttle looked at and the squeak remains. between the squeak and the sluggishness i think im looking towards the transmission? but man, something like a flush makes me nervous. I've basically saved up the past few months to get my car some TLC, just want to get this thing back to the crisp acceleration it used to have...

I have no idea what that squeak could be based on your description but I'd try to find a local mechanic with good reviews to check it out and not the dealer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey guys, I sold the MS6 a few months ago but found this when cleaning up

https://corksport.com/corksport-aluminum-shift-knob.html in BLACK

Ran it for a few months then switched to a $15 ebay knob that fit my tiny little dwarf hand better. Anybody interested for like $50?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Your car has a timing chain, not a belt.

Try wiggling around in the seat with the seat belt on to listen for the squeak.

Also if you haven't cleaned your throttle body I recommend it.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Where's that It's Happening GIF?

The 3 is getting a turbo for 2021:

quote:

The big news is that, as seen in screenshots of Mazda’s dealer system sent to Jalopnik, it appears the 2021 Mazda 3 will be offered with a turbo trim on the sedan and hatchback bodies. It will only be available with all-wheel drive.

More interestingly, there’s the “MAZDA3 HB PP TURBO” in the list. “HB” stands for hatchback, and “PP”could stand for a number of things. Is it shorthand for “Preferred Package,” “Premium Package,” or potentially a “Performance Package?” It’s not yet clear.

:rice:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What's the bet it'll be a nerfed version of the turbo diesel. Mazda is just about dumb enough to try that, they seem to still be under the impression diesels have a future.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

What's the bet it'll be a nerfed version of the turbo diesel. Mazda is just about dumb enough to try that, they seem to still be under the impression diesels have a future.

Nah. They didn't bother making another run of CX-5s. The few thousand 2019 models was it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

opengl128 posted:

When I used the mount I linked in my MS3, I paired it with a phone specific RAM mount. I still use one on my bike, they look like this: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-AP29U

Not the universal grip crud, they have specific mounts to a ton of phones. Maybe see if they have one for yours.

Follow up: I just noticed that that proclip mount said it's "Not for models with Wood Grain or glossy trim." Does this mean it wouldn't fit the "piano black" trim in my MS3 for some reason?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Charles posted:

Nah. They didn't bother making another run of CX-5s. The few thousand 2019 models was it.

They're the only manufacturer that still bothers with diesels for the Japanese market

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

They're the only manufacturer that still bothers with diesels for the Japanese market

When I went to the factory in 2008 I was surprised at the horribly stinky tour bus they take you out on :P

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Follow up: I just noticed that that proclip mount said it's "Not for models with Wood Grain or glossy trim." Does this mean it wouldn't fit the "piano black" trim in my MS3 for some reason?

Can't think of any reason why, other than maybe they don't want to risk you scratching it? Mine was piano black and other than the finish I don't know of any differences.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it soon enough for a refresh so they release one without stupid rear windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mazda makes okay diesel engines, except they mandate 10000 km oil changes over here in :norway:

:negative: