Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've been following development for this car for like a year now. Really looking like it'll be my next car. I hope the planets align and I'll be able to get a stripped down 2.5 with a manual tranny. Oh god I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I've been following the 2014 Mazda 3 for more than a year now. And the past two weeks my current car has been giving me poo poo, so I said gently caress it. Went to the dealership today and closed on a 3S Touring Sedan in Meteor Grey. 25k OTD. I pick it up tomorrow, ahhhhh! I've been flip flopping on the sedan vs hatch thing for a while, but I really think the sedan looks better on this generation 3. This car is drat pretty in person.

I've been missing Mazda since I sold my rx-8, it feels good to be back!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

Congrats on your new car! This got me looking at what Mazda is doing for the new 3s, since i haven't checked on them in a while.

The prices on the 3 versus the 6 are so drat close. If I was looking at sedans, it would be a tough choice to go with the smaller 3 versus a 6 when the $25K 6 has a lot of features.

Yes, the 6 with all the options costs more than a 3 with all the options, but comparing two $25K cars is very, very close. It would be a very tough call for me considering that the 3 doesn't get much better mileage than the 6.

Now, the hatchback is a different story, since you can't get a 6 wagon. But I would be willing to lose HID headlights to be in a bigger, more comfortable car.

I also had this same problem. I was looking pretty hard at the 6 also, because, as you said, the prices are pretty similar. What it came down to for me is a couple things. One, is that after driving the 3, I realized it has all the room I need for me personally. Also, the infotainment on the 6 is a different unit than the 3 and from what I've heard it's really, really buggy, and it's been out longer than the 3. The 3's is also a bit buggy, but it's being updated regularly. Basically it came down to a bunch of small things, it was a tough choice.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Eirgen posted:

After spending about an hour at the dealership, definitely getting myself a MZ3 S touring hatchback. I'll get back to you in a few weeks Stolennosferatu. Thanks.

Drove home my S Touring sedan today. You'll love it!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Eirgen posted:

Hmm, I been talking to an auto group personnel and they were looking into deals for me on the 2014 mazda 3 s touring hb. Finally got back to me at 25600$. I know stolennosferatu mentioned end of march might have some better deals but I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be a significant difference in price? Haven't gotten back to the dealership either but they quoted about the same price a few weeks ago.

Does that quoted price include destination? If it doesn't, that's way too high compared to what I payed for my S Touring a couple weeks ago.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

I noticed my first bug in the 2014 3. When I turn the car off with navigation on screen it crashes the headunit. I get a black screen until I pull out the SD card and restart the car a couple times. Kind of annoying really. Hopefully a TSB will come out soon to deal with that. Other than that the car is absolutely brilliant. It's pure loving magic. I am really enjoying it.

Martytoof are you in a 2014 3?

What version software is your HU on? They're up to 29 now.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm V28. I left my service department an e-mail to ask about V29. I'm not sure if that will help things. Based on what I've seen they haven't been able to fix the issue for a while. I think it's the one thing that is getting on my nerves on an otherwise great car.

I heard 28 was actually pretty buggy and most people went from 27 to 29. I'm on 27 and luckily have had pretty much zero issues so far.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Will do. Is there anything you'd recommend for winter climates? The fluid I used on my old car had a tendency to smudge and make visibility worse. I suspect that it has everything to do with the piss poor wipers though. These new Mazda 3 wipers are great!

Also what does the sport mode do? I haven't had a car with this feature before.

Well in the new 3 it does a few things. Increases throttle response, will hold gears longer, and you will usually be cruising at a lower gear than normal to keep the car in the power band. It actually works really well, not so good for the gas mileage though.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So how's this for some poo poo.

On the way back from my lunch break last Friday, a pretty big crack appeared in the windshield of my '14 mazda 3. Looks like a rock chip right in the middle of it. Called my insurance, glass company, etc, and the end result is that the windshields for these cars are on loving national backorder with no dates on when there will be new ones.

The glass company is going to ask my insurance to approve getting an emergency one from Canada. The woman over there said she has never seen this happen before.

It's a little goddamn irritating. I have 3500 miles on the car.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Man, one of the main reasons I went with the S touring, aside from the bigger motor, was the headlights. I couldn't give two shits about a moonroof, also glad I went with a 2014.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Phantom Limb posted:

Got my 2014 3sGT at Tustin too, spent several hours trying to deal with bullshit at South Bay Mazda until I got tired of it and just called Tustin, asked for a price, drove over, and was out the door in an hour.

How's the leatherette in the S Touring? I went with the GT for the actual leather and the headlights, moonroof's pretty nice too and doesn't kill headroom too badly.

My only other leather interior I had was on my RX8, and I honestly don't notice the difference.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Koirhor posted:

I got a 2014 3GT, and I'm getting average 35-36mpg between fill ups on 87. Really loving the mileage, the Navigation iDrive wannabe system desperately needs some improvements.

Are you on the newest version? Because I'm actually pretty happy with mine. It had a few weird bugs at first but seems solid now.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Speaking of infotainment system earlier in the thread, I just updated it myself to version 33 in my 3. Was pretty straightforward.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Alighieri posted:

Is there an online guide for this? My google skills are failing me.

Yea, a rather sparse wiki here - http://www.mazda3hacks.com/doku.php

Some dude on reddit linked the actual firmware here - http://www.reddit.com/r/mazda/comments/2jnh97/2015_infotainment_system_hacks/

When I went to the dealership to get this done it took them like an hour an a half, only took me about twenty minutes.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Fabulousity posted:

They updated Mazda Connect from version 28 to 30 but I thought the newest version as of a few months ago was 33? Either way I've only had an occasional temporary glitch with it and online research suggests my cellphone Bluetooth woes are the fault of my phone (Lumia 928) rather than the car.

Yea, the newest version is 33. I actually managed to update it myself pretty easily.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

azflyboy posted:

I just finished my first road trip (about 1200 miles in 6 days) in my '15 Mazda3 and I was really impressed with how good the fuel economy was. During a 280 mile stretch of 80mph interstate, I averaged just over 36mpg, and driving around Yellowstone (lots of shorter trips, substantial elevation changes, and going no faster than 45) , I don't think I did any worse than about 45mpg, which is a nice upgrade from my old Forester that only managed mid 20's on 65mph highways.

Aside from having a little trouble with hills at 8000ft (not really Mazda's fault), the only things that got slightly annoying with the car were having to acknowledge the stupid "DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE" disclaimer that appears every time you start the car, and the fact that the shift indicator seems hell-bent on suggesting upshifts (usually 5->6) in some fairly inappropriate situations. Mazda needs to add a "Kimi Riakkonen" (Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing) setting somewhere in the car to disable some of those warnings and suggestions.

Is that milage on the 2.0 or 2.5? Most I've gotten out of the 2.5 is 31-ish

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Fabulousity posted:

If the roads in your area are cratered disasters it might be something to consider.

This is true. I had two blowouts in two weeks on the same tire on my S Touring. loving potholes!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I warped the factory front brakes twice before the car hit 40k miles, but never had any issue with a set of Hawk HPS pads and Centric blank rotors for the next 80k I owned the car. Slightly less initial bite, but so much less dust.

Is this just an easy thing to do or what? My '14 3 has like 28k on it and I'm getting some really annoying shudder on braking, been considering replacing them with something a little better.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

2014 s Touring, two weeks after I got it a rock hit my windshield and spider webbed it. The car was so new in the country that it took 2 weeks to get a new windshield, and even then it had to be imported from Canada.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

The automatic in the newer Mazdas is pretty great.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Fabulousity posted:

Yeah they're pretty nifty. And if you get a high trim level you get paddle shifters for extra wackiness when getting on the freeway.

Yea I have a 3s, but I never use the paddles. Just throw it in Sport mode. It's fun!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So my '14 3s is getting close to 45k and it feels like I'm gonna need brakes soon. I've done basic maintenance on some of my cars, but have never done brakes. Was thinking about doing it myself.

Two questions. Should I? And can anyone recommend some decent aftermarket pads and/or rotors? If it feels like OEM, that's fine.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

worstrobot posted:

I have a 2016 Mazda 3 hatchback and I'm looking at getting winter tires. Are the wheels from previous generations compatible with the 3rd Generation?

Yup! I did the same thing, got them off an MPV. The cool thing is the TPMS is built into the ABS so no need to have sensors installed.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah oil change interval. I just don't want anything to gently caress up. I've been meticulous about maintenance till now.

Yea man, I honestly thought you were joking. My last service was supposed to be at 45k, finally got it in at 48k. Don't worry about it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The problem is the repairs are being made with the same defective parts, that's what owners are reporting. Only way I'd consider it is if the sellers would drop the price accordingly (lol good luck) and that there are definitive parts available that aren't defective.

[edit] or maybe I'll just get one with an automatic :v:

If you can find a current gen 3 the auto is loving awesome. I'm not even sure I would take a manual at this point.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

dissss posted:

The manual is great too, completely happy with going for it on my new 3 even with the slight economy loss (offset by the cheaper purchase price)

I don't doubt it, my rx8 manual was sublime. The auto on the newer 3s is so good that I don't really miss it THAT much though.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

dissss posted:

I bought the first facelift (I'm not going to say 2017, this was in September so that's ridiculous) off the lot so I got to hear the new features spiel from the dealer. A lot of stuff is market dependent so may or may not apply where you are.
- G-vectoring which makes an extremely subtle difference to how the car corners
- HUD is now colour
- Parking sensors in the front
- Traffic sign recognition
- Electric handbrake
So nothing particularly noteworthy

Aside from that it's the normal facelift stuff, different bumpers and lights, darker coloured wheels, different seats, new steering wheel that sort of stuff

I know it's dumb but I'm excited about that full color HUD. I've grown so use to the old one I hate driving a car without it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So anyone with a '14+ with the infotainment and an Android phone (maybe too specific), is there anything you've done to make sure when you start your car and your phone reconnects, that you don't have to go back into your phone to start audio again?

Sometimes it happens for me, but it seems completely random, and I can't figure out what the hell make it work or not work.

I love the infotainment for the most part, this just drives me nuts sometimes.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Oh that's good to know. I've had some difficulty with that thanks to the dealer being a bit incompetent.

I had some weird poo poo happen to my infotainment on a road trip, I did a factory reset and it fixed itself. Worth a shot maybe?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The new CX5 looks so loving nice. Mazda is crushing it nowadays.

Also of note - they confirmed that CarPlay & Android Auto is coming this year, and will be available on all the MazdaCommand system cars.

If they put that turbo 2.5 in a CX-5, there is my next car.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I think that's what I'll need to do. I was hoping to just order one online but going to a store will probably lead to 100% less tears in six to three hundred weeks after it arrives from Chinese eBay.

Either that or your local hardware store. I always have good luck at those places.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone have any recommendations on new tires for my '14 mazda 3? It has the 18s. I have separate wheels and tires for winter, so I'd like a good 3 season tire, with a focus on less road noise and more comfort I suppose.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

If you have 18" rims, your choices for reduced road noise are pretty much nil. I don't know on the latest body design but it seems like they just didn't bother to do much road noise dampening on the 3.

I got new tires on my '11 and they were slightly quieter for maybe 50-100 miles (or so it seemed).

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong. I'm still thinking about getting that noise reducing stuff put in my doors because I'm about to start doing some long highway driving and the noise will wear on me after several hours.

The current size is 215/45, would it be a big deal to go up to 55 profile tires?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Wibla posted:

You'd be better off getting a set of 16"s and the inherent higher profile tires that come with them to get the same rolling diameter.

Yea I'm probably just gonna have to live with the lower profile tires, I think the 3s with the 16s looks kinda goofy.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So my '14 3 needs brakes. Is it worth it to do it myself. I'm pretty handy but have never done my own brakes. Anything specific I should know?

Also any recommendations on pads and rotors?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

2016 Mazda 3 sGT. Back up camera is glitchy, image rolls and is like 2-3 fps and staticky. Latest infotainment software version.

I'm gonna have to take it in, aren't I?

Yup!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Just need to find time to do it. And also figure out where to pick up new ones. Mail ordering two bolts seems kinda tedious.

Most local hardware stores usually have a good assortment of individual bolts.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

MetaJew posted:

No Ace Hardwares in Austin as far as I know, but the Lowe's around here at least have a better fastener selection than Home Depot.

Would a Napa, Pep Boys, or some other auto parts store be more likely to carry something like this?

Is this place anywhere near you? It's an ace hardware franchise I think.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Interesting. Two of those aren't too far from my office. The one that's actually branded as Ace Hardware is quite a drive away. Are you familiar with them? I can't tell if they're actually a hardware store, or a Bed Bath and Beyond style place that happens to sell hardware.

Eitherway, hopefully I'll take care of this this weekend and stop derailing the thread with boring fastener chat.

No idea, just googled hardware stores in Austin. Every Ace I've been to around here always had a good selection of fasteners though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So easy on the '14+ models, took about 5 minutes, dealership wanted $60 to do it for me.