Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pointless Metaphor
Jan 13, 2009
Hi Fellow Mazdafolk-

I have a question: should I make a retarded financial decision in order to upgrade to a Mazdaspeed3?

I currently own a 2008 MZ3 in phantom blue that I really like in almost every respect save one: it's slow. I bought it new only about 4 months ago, so I've taken the included hit on its value. (lesson learned).

There is a pontiac dealership just down the road from me that has a 2008 speed3 with 8700 miles on it, and they're basically begging me to buy it from them ever since I stopped by to test drive it.

I would have to trade in my 3, but I'd only get about $14k or $14.5k, while I owe 316/mo for 68 more months. [buyout amount right now is 16,850 because I have been paying heavily against the principal.] The speed3 is listed at 18,600, but I'd bet they'd lower that a bit considering how aggressively they keep calling me back.

Even if I did get a good deal on the speed3, i'd basically lose all the money I put into my 3 for the past 4 months. On the other hand, I've already lost that money thanks to being upside down on it.

The speed3 has everything I love about my car except the color (it's red) and it's FAST and fun as poo poo to drive, as you guys know. However, I do drive a shitload for my job (I've put 7500+ miles on the car in those 4 months) so I would be slightly more concerned about longevity with the turbo car, as well as fuel prices, but I'd be enjoying all my long drives that much more.

Should I be responsible and stick with what I have? Is it worth it to get this good deal on the 3 even though I would be taking a bit of an unnecessary financial hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pointless Metaphor
Jan 13, 2009
[Disclaimer: I'm retarded and inconsiderate and all that jazz.]
Last night I didn't get to drive home from work until after 1AM, so with no one on the road and feeling quite frustrated, I hit 140 mph on a long straight in my 2008.5.

I was amazed at how stable the car felt at 140; while I can't hyperbolize and say it was the same as going 80, I can confidently say it did not feel that much less solid.

While I certainly won't be going that fast in the near future, I'll add it to the list of reasons I freaking love this car.