Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

slothrop posted:

cross-posting from the car buying thread, this seemed like a reasonable spot for it

I bought that one exact model but the 2014 edition. I bought it with about 31k miles 2.5 years ago and have put about 12k on since. It’s been flawless for me and I very much like it other than lacking a stick. I can’t comment too much on the ACC as even though I have the tech package with it I’ve only used it once to test it out. I don’t know of any specific issues to worry about, mine did have its battery die, which due to the tech package is some stupid expensive special battery, otherwise just changed the oil and normal stuff. The 2.5 has enough oomph when I step on it and I love being able to load it up, got my 65” TV in mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

With cold air and a full exhaust and a tune for it maybe you could get that 20-30hp but not a very cost effective way to get there really

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Charles posted:

I doubt it

Ya definitely a stretch but...maybe if you squint real hard when reading the dyno. But ya, I'd expect more in the 10 to maybe pushing 15? range.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

My local mazda dealer loving sucks too, both service and parts.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

SkyeAuroline posted:

Okay. Weirdly phrased question because I'm not enough of a mechanic to know how to correctly ask it. Initially redacting context to not taint the answers.
Fellow third gen 3 owners w/ 2.5L and auto. What are the "shift points" for yours like? I know they're not one exact set of RPMs and speeds, but roughly what RPMs/speeds does your transmission shift at in normal driving (ie, while already underway, not initial acceleration)?

Yes, I'm still having transmission problems all this time later. No, neither dealership near me has become useful at all; one still maintains they haven't replaced their only transmission qualified technician (they'd have folded by now if they were that bad at staffing), the other cancels anything I try to set up through their web portal and requires times that I cannot make happen so that "the car is here when tech line is open"; "drop the car off" has been repeatedly refused as an option too, even though it solves the problem. So I'm still trying to figure out what is going on by working backwards from "normal" behavior. Right now it seems like my car is shifting far too early (ca. 2k rpm across the board) and I'm ending up in much higher gears at lower speeds than I should be - by 50 mph I've hit the point where it won't shift up any further short of pedal-to-floor behavior.

I am not sure I am the best to respond, haven't really been driving much at all lately and when I do drive I have a somewhat lead foot, but even in non sport mine will hold revs a lot longer than that, sometimes even up to 5k even only half throttle. I am pretty sure I am making it up but when I think about how the trans behaved when I first got the car 3 years ago versus more recently it seems to me to hold gears longer as some sort of learning from how (hard) I drive in 'normal' driving. I am 95% that is all in my head but I can say I definitely don't experience shifts like that unless I am extremely light on the throttle.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I feel for you, def sucks and getting the run around from everyone just makes it worse. I actually had some errands to run today and specifically noted how the throttle and trans interacted. If I went ‘light’ like probably most normal people acceleration, maybe 10% throttle I would get about 2k rpm shifts to at least 4th. Only surface roads so not really able to go faster than that. If I gave it about 20% throttle it would hold until 2.5k rpm for 1st-2nd at least. Also it’s not entirely apples to apples, just because mine is a 2014, so first year 3rd gen and possible programming has changed since then.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Booked an evaluation with Shift for my 2014 Mazda3 this Sunday. Their electronic offer was $15.5 and that is just too much to pass up I think. It's likely this is a farewell to Mazda for me for now!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

BlackMK4 posted:

Wait, what? What are the details on your 3?

Ya it's bonkers, Greeb posted about a crazy offer on their 18 GSW (I think $19.4) which made me follow up for my own car.

I have a 14 sGT with technology package, 48k miles with one accident. I bought it Dec 17 with 31k miles. It is in pretty great condition besides some very minor paint scratches, outside the accident. I texted my buddy that works there and he said it's usually pretty on the money. I just spent the weekend and yesterday putting the stock suspension and rear wiper back on. (Which was a bit of a comedy of errors itself heh)

e: I probably wouldn't even have thought about selling if I had held out and found a stick for my car but alas. I am probably going to look at finding a very clean manual e91, though a cheap NB might be in the cards as well while I try to find the exact e91 I want and to have for the weekend and maybe autox or some such so might not leave mazda entirely.

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 21, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ya it's insane, Carvana offer was $11.4 lol. Shift just recently IPO'd so idk maybe that cash is burning a hole in their pocket :shrug:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

OTOH I went to get a new battery for my second fob in anticipation of sale because it was exhibiting the typical dying battery signs described and the dealer didn't even charge me, so that was cool.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MetaJew posted:

I put in my 09 and got a quote of ~$6500. MS3s have sold on Cars and Bids for ~$8,xxx so if you can handle the people in teh comments trying to tank your sale you could possibly get more money selling it to the kind of people that admire Doug Demuro.

That being said, I did not mention the aftermarket engine mounts so maybe that would cause them to not give an offer.

100% no dice on something like that in my experience so far, but everything I've gathered is there is zero way they would know about any mechanical modification without you telling them or it being super obvious like a straight pipe.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MetaJew posted:

I mean, if you get in the car and start it, you'll hear some very loud vibes from PMM and trans motor mounts, but yeah if they don't really do an actual inspection before paying me-- not my problem anymore.

So like they didn’t even drive my car, only thing he remotely scrutinized was the tread depth. Otherwise only started it to grab mileage. I had one or two semi obvious dents an a chip in the windshield along with some scratches that the detail shop couldn’t get out going to do a premium detail yesterday (lmao I guess that was $500 wasted but eh).

Gave me full value of the online quote like basically no questions asked also get a bonus $200 for selling first appointment so $15.7k for a 2014 mazda3 with 1 accident. Not sure if because this dude was only there 2 months or what but...ya. Probably could have left the lowering springs and koni’s on tbh.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MetaJew posted:

I have no idea what you could get for your car if you were patient and did a private sale, but if it was anywhere near $15.7k, and it prevents you from dealing with Craigslist tire kickers, that's awesome!

Just looking at autotrader there are two similar spec/mileage cars both 1 owner and accident free listed at dealers for $17k. I don’t think there is much room there to have gotten too much more private sale, even leaving a potential grand on the table I’m more than happy with that number, seems the market really is just wild for used cars right now (and makes the $16.8 I paid in 2017 an even more screaming deal)

As you said not having to deal with Craigslist tire kickers is a god send, the ease of the whole process is absolutely why I went with it. Will be interesting to see what they list it for :v:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

gently caress me I should have held out for longer before selling my 3!

Also Miata is never the wrong answer. I’m still very seriously thinking about abandoning my wagon aspirations and getting a ‘cheap’ NA/NB

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Super random, but does anyone want a set of H&R springs and Koni yellow sport shocks for a 3rd Gen Mazda3 in the Bay or Seattle areas? Roughly 16k miles on the set, pulled them off my car when I sold it earlier this year. Free to anyone that wants them or knows someone that wants them. If in the Bay, I’ll only be around until the end of the year so would need to organize pickup/dropoff in the next two weeks.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ProClip mounts are awesome, big recommend. I had one in my gen 3 mazda3 even heh

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Annath posted:

I hope this is an OK place to post this question:

I have a 2015 Mazda3 S-Grand Touring. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the battery, but I'm unsure of what type I need to get, since the car has the i-eloop thing.

Some looking online has people saying "oh any battery that fits is fine", while others are saying that I need a specific yellow top battery?

I'm not very mechanically inclined, so any advice would be appreciated.

When my 2014 sGT needed a new battery I was dumb and went to the dealer, that ended up being about $450 because of what you mentioned. Unfortunately I can not offer you knowledge of what might be an acceptable cheaper replacement, however almost anywhere that sells a battery should replace it for you for free so the mechanically inclined part shouldn’t matter. Worst case you know the general dealer ballpark for OEM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Column shifters like that used to be really common, especially on a american cars. A lot of pickups still had them into the 2000s.