Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Hey guys do I get to play?

I wish I had a turbo :(

In the Mazda crowd, my car is as Chunk is to the Goonies. I smell ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Mine coughs when it's cold. Done that since new.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Is it just the DISI MZR motors that have seen examples of excesive fuel contamination of the oil, or is it all MZR engines? My manual states 7,500 oilchange intervals, I was planning on going with 5000 cause it's a nice easy number to work with.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So is there anything at all I can do to make my Mazda 5 faster? Because you know I have to get the kids to soccer practice faster. It's got an MZR engine, anyone have a comprehensive list of the differences between it and the DISI turbo motors? Other than the DISI and turbo, obviously?

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 30, 2008

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Frosty- posted:

trouser chili, I think you know what you must do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSE4dtMFx7I

I wonder if they're seeing any performance increases. The 5 is kinda porky and slow, I be interested in a bit more go coming from the go pedal.

I wonder why Mazda isn't wising up and stuffing the new 2.5 liter MZR in the 5.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

the amber trap posted:

Can three car seats (actually, one car seat and two booster seats) fit in the back?
I might try to talk the wife into this if it's really that roomy.

No, they can't.

Try the Mazda5. It's a bigger three, with a slower engine. But it's at least reasonably fun to drive, and fits six comfortably enough. I own one and two children plus one dog. For road trips we pop a car top carrier up on a removable roof-rack.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 19, 2009

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've got about a year and half left on my warranty, but I'm ready to start thinking about and planning some boost for my Mazda5. I was lead to believe that there were some kits available for the plain Mazda 3 that should be adaptable to the Mazda5, but I'm not finding much. What I do find is all shops I've never heard of, but maybe that's doesn't mean much.

I'm looking for modest gains here, nothing great. Just something to help the poor thing pull out of the lower RPMS. The Mazda5 is heavy, and an untimely upshift can leave you in a hole the engine can't really dig out of (we can talk about the somewhat retarded automatic some other time). So I'll need a turbo that spools quick, or maybe a supercharger. Driving though the mountains around Chattanooga the other week on my way to Florida (and then back) really demonstrated how wanting the engine can be. I'm really not looking for a racer, just something more drivable in daily type situations.

I was kinda interested in this:
https://www.f2usa.com/products/06%252d09-Mazda3-Supercharger-Kit-2.3-Manual-Stage-1.html

Besides the stupid-rear end "stage 1" nomenclature, it kinda sounds like what I'm looking for. Any thoughts?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Fucknag posted:

You will do this immediately.

Oh god no, that just seemed a nightmare job to complete.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

SynMoo posted:

Seems like a clever kit, but that video shows off some pretty prominant compressor surge. It's the fluttering sound when he lifts off between shifts. That sound is air being forced back over the turbine blades when the throttle plate closes. The kit says it has a bypass valve, but it may be set too tight.

Well, since I have an automatic transmission, I wouldn't see compressor surge happening as much, correct?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sure, as long as you plan on barreling into every turn at WOT :v:

What else would I do?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

SynMoo posted:

CEL at 35xx miles in my 2010 MS3. Any common issues that I don't know about?

Heading to the dealer.

Well if it's anything like my Mazda5, you failed to torque the gascap to 150ft-lbs the last time you filled up and thus have a leak in your evaporative emissions control system.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Come on diesel Mazda5. What that thing needs more than anything else is torque.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Ugh, I can't win with any of my cars lately. Tried to chase down the clunk in the rear of the Mazda5. Found a loose sway-bar end-link. Replaced it, still clunks. Whatever is going on, everything I grab and give a good shake looks and feels tight. I tried driving with the rear sway-bar disconnected, still clunks. Took out everything inside from the back and drove about with the doors and hatch open, still clunks. I've inspected the shock mounts, they're not cracked, I've inspected the springs, they don't seem to have any imperfections. I did note that the eccentrics for caster adjustment were nowhere near each other in setting. Not sure what to make of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

kefkafloyd posted:

There's no ground isolation on the aux input, so be careful if you plug it into a charger at the same time.

There is actually a TSB about that for my Mazda5. The TSB informs the service dept to relay to the customer that if the noise bothers them, to either charge the phone or listen to music through it, but not both at the same time.

Anyway, there is a nifty hack out there to combine a Bluetooth headset and aux tape, seems it wouldn't be too difficult to just change the output from aux tape to a male 3.5 TRS.