Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I've got an 07 Speed6 GT. I love it so far. It's totally stock, although Santa is supposed to be bringing me a downpipe...
I'm hoping I can save up enough cash to get an Accessport soon. The idea of being able to run all the way up to redline makes me giddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I think I would give a nut for a Mazdaspeed 5.
I've seen the magazine article where some group converted one, but I want one from the factory.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

So I came into more christmas money than expected, and I'm torn between getting a downpipe and intake, or an Accessport. I don't have the money for anything but the accessport if I go that route. So, which direction do you think I should go here?

The car in question is the '07 Speed 6.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

That's kind of what I've been thinking. Plus, I may not always have enough cash laying around that I can buy an AP, but it's not nearly as hard to come up with $350 for a downpipe, or $200 for an intake.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I've heard two different stories about intakes. One story is that they make a huge difference in power. The other is that they don't do poo poo but make the car sound better. So is it really worth spending $185 on a new intake? My car came with a K&N filter from the previous owner, if that means anything.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Yeah, I went out and took a good look and the intake is pretty horrendous. I guess an SRI is gonna be my next mod.

GET EM SLUGGER fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 30, 2008

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I didn't figure it was worth a drat, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
I understand the difference a good intake can make, and I know Mazda makes theirs horribly restrictive. I had just heard the two different sides and wondered if any of you had any experience with intakes on these cars. I've pretty much decided that I'll get one next.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Well, I ordered my Accessport from Grip Garage yesterday. Thanks again for the heads up on that Frosty-. I got it in just before the price went back up.
Now if it would only get here tomorrow like he said. I want it before I leave town for new years!
BTW, Kevin at Grip Garage was a super friendly, helpful guy. I had problems paying with my debit card, and he was very patient with me. So seriously, thanks for the heads up. Someone else might not have been as friendly.

GET EM SLUGGER fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 30, 2008

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

As alluded to in that post, Cobb has maps with the cold weather fix included for those with an AP.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

OK, so Cobb says to go one step colder on the spark plugs. I'm going to have to order the Densos. If I shorten the gap on the stock plugs and run the Stage 1 map for a bit, is it going to blow my engine up? I can't get the Densos anywhere locally, and I'd like to try out the AP this week.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I ordered some Delco Iridium plugs in the correct heat range from the local O'Reilly. They're half the price of the densos, so if they suck I won't feel lovely about throwing them away. Well, LESS lovely.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Kynetx posted:

It's academic, because whether or not you're a dedicated modder you MUST yard out that abomination and replace it with a cone-filtered SRI or CAI. To leave the stock airbox in place is a big mistake IMO, since the stock setup is a huge performance and mileage killer. I gained 3 MPG doing my backyard DIY SRI.

You mention a backyard SRI. I've read a little about air straighteners being necessary for some reason. Did you use one? I'm curious about the details of how you made the SRI, if you don't mind sharing.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I got the AP because all the cool kids have them :cool:

Seriously though, I know of the AP from the Subaru world and they seem to be pretty well regarded. I didn't know anything about CP-E. Plus I got a good deal on the AP.
Which Mazda boards are you reading? I can't seem to find any good ones.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Well, I got my AP last night and I must say, I'm very happy with the Stage 1 map. Next up is the intake.

Is 30 mpg on the highway about on par with you other MS6 guys?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Thanks Kynetx for digging up that thread. I remember reading it back when you posted it, but I just didn't put two and two together.
It looks interesting, but I think I may go ahead and plop down the money for the Cobb SRI. I don't have an extra airbox to hack up, and I don't really have all the tools I'd need. Didn't you say you're running the Stage 1 SF map with that?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I'm running Royal Purple with a 3,000 mile schedule.
I've only had it in once though, and it's about to go in for the next change. The previous owner had his changes done at the dealership, so I assume they used either dino or a blend. I am an hour from the closest dealership so I have the local oil change place do it. I just don't have time to do it myself. They're a locally owned place, not a Jiffy Lube, and they do an excellent job.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

By the way, what's the fix for the lovely shifter feel? I saw somewhere that it involves new gear oil, but I didn't catch if it was stock weight or something different. Anyone know?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

It does have the same lovely rear mount. It's on the list.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

The actual shifting doesn't bother me so much. It's going into gear. 2nd gear always grinds just a bit.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

You can do logging with the AP?
I knew you could view live data but I didn't know you could do logging with it!

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I definitely have more trouble getting it into second when it's cold. It almost always grinds a little bit, but it's worse before it warms up.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

They have some at my local O'Reilly and I had planned to get some, but I wasn't sure what weight. It's supposed to be 90, right?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a CP-E Nano yesterday from Grip Garage. I can't wait to see how much of a difference it makes. Should be fun, though.
A minor plug here, but not only were their prices great, the service is even better. If you are looking at any parts, I would highly recommend them.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

On the MS6, where the hell are safe jacking points? I think the rear diff is ok to jack, but where do I put the jackstands? I hate to sound like a dummy, but I really just have no idea where to safely jack it up, and then put it on stands.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I did Google it. It's hard to narrow down to a specific car, and even then it's hard to sort through and find good solid information. For instance, the 6 isn't like the 3 for the rear. The rear diff is actually supposed to be a good place to jack it up. I don't know where the jackstands would go after that point, though. There are a couple of good places, but they would place the car WAY off the ground and even with good jackstands it makes me nervous to crawl under there.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I always shove as hard as I can in every direction. For some reason I was just super nervous this time. I guess I'm just getting old or something :(

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I put on the CP-E Nano, and did the AP reflash to the Stage 1 SR (or whatever it is) and it was quite noticeably slower, even to my passengers. I put the stock intake back on, flashed back to stage 1, and all was well. It says that Stage 1 is NOT for use with a modified intake, but how dangerous is it really? I'd love to put the intake back on, but not if I'm going to LOSE power!

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Stage1+SF 91 v100.

This is AFTER I downloaded and installed 1.03. It still shows up as v100?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Yeah, I've tried that map. No good. I'll just sell the Nano and hope someone else can use it.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Anyone want to buy a slightly used Accessport for MS6? I'd rather sell it and just buy a downpipe or something. The lack of support for the 6 is bothering me. I guess if I wanted to mod I should have bought an MS3.

So seriously, I'll make a good deal for a goon if you want it. PM me or hit me up at darkan at gmail dot com

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

This will not work with an MS3.

It does all sorts of things for any car, really. That's why I've debated selling it. Yes, you can reflash the ECU with different maps. There is one for an otherwise stock vehicle, that really makes a difference in power. There are maps for just about every stage of modification. It will also let you monitor live parameters, like knock retard or boost. The newest update even lets you do datalogging.
For some reason though, my intake slowed things down. When I added the intake with the stock map, it ran somewhat faster than stock, but not nearly as fast as the stock intake with the Stage 1 map. When I upgraded to the Stage 1+SF map (which is for an otherwise stock vehicle with an aftermarket intake) it was noticeably slower than stock.
There are a ton of maps for the MS3, but not so many for the MS6, and they haven't been updated in a while, it's like we're the redheaded stepchild or something.
So at this point, I'm REALLY torn. If I sell it, I can afford a downpipe, which supposedly makes a big difference in power. Or maybe I can talk my wife into a downpipe and keep the AcessPort and see how the Stage 2 maps feel. If I do decide to sell it, I'll do it here first. It'll be WAY cheaper than a new one that way.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I just noticed the new maps at mzdspd.com, I'll give the Stage 1+SF v101u a try tonight.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I have never run the base Stage 1 map with the intake installed, only the stock intake. It says pretty clearly not to do so, and I'm afraid of running lean and blowing up my motor. It probably won't happen, but my car only has 16K on it and I REALLY don't want to mess it up this early.

I'll try the v101u map tonight. Maybe at lunch if I have time.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I run on 92 with no issues, but I'd definitely get 93 if possible. I've run ok on 91 when necessary.

Also, I tried out the map Frosty recommended, and it's night and day. It's running like a bat out of hell again.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

wootmachine posted:

I'm guessing that using AccessPort is an insta-warranty void if it's caught during a maintenance, right?

Do the dealers have a way of noticing it's been tampered with even if you reflash to stock before taking it in?

I've wondered the same thing. It has the capability to make a copy of your stock ECU information, which can then be reflashed later. I'm not going to hold out hope that it's undetectable, though.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Be sure and post a trip report with the new inlet, I'm curious as to whether it's something worth blowing the money on.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Wow, that is truly hideous looking. That wouldn't stop me from buying one immediately. It may be ugly, but it looks TOUGH!

GET EM SLUGGER fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 2, 2009

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

As far as exhaust, all I know is what I've heard from video clips and such, but I'll most likely be going with the Corksport pieces. CP-e is nice, but it's soooo expensive. As for drone, if it gets bad I'll just turn up my stereo.

I'm surprised that you're saying you've noticed a difference in throttle response and smoothness with the inlet. With the Stage 1 +SF tune and the intake, my car is very responsive and revs up smooth. With the 101u map, it goes straight to 6500 without the power tapering off. That being said, I imagine I'll just save the $165 and put it toward a downpipe.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Does it look weird with only one of the bumper-mounted exhaust holes filled up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

DreamOn13 posted:

Just installed the Mazdaspeed CAI on my Speed3. Digging it so far, waiting to see if it gets even better with more miles as people are suggesting (to let the computer get the fuel trims readjusted). It makes fun noises now. :downs:

I've had the SRI on my car for about a month now, and I STILL crack my driver's side window, no matter what the temperature outside, just so I can hear it. It's the ricer in me, I guess.