Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I just bought this three days ago:
http://i.imgur.com/qhCh1oO.jpg

2011 Mazda3 Sport, 2.5 motor, 6 speed transmission. So far I love the hell out of this car and just keep looking for excuses to drive it. It's the first car I've owned with features like Bluetooth connectivity so that's been fun to play with, and even with 55K miles the fit and finish is just leagues above anything else I've personally owned. Hard to believe it's an economy car.

That said; the only thing that worries me is I keep reading a lot of owner complaints about premature clutch failure. Is this something I need to worry about and be prepared for? My Miata has over 170k on the original clutch so I figure I know what I'm doing. I'm reading horror stories of clutches slipping after 20-30 thousand miles.

Thanks guys. I've always read great remarks about the Mazda3 but I finally get it now. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

8ender posted:

I hate to say it, but after looking around, it seems like Mazda hosed up some engineering related to the clutch assembly and isn't ready to acknowledge it as a defect yet. Most owners report smelling something burning on and off and then the clutch fails some time later. Given the burning smell I'd guess it isn't fully disengaging and slipping just enough to give the drivers a whiff of clutch death when they're stopped or moving slowly.

Mazda hasn't stepped up to officially acknowledge the problem (and may never do so) so I'd prepare for a clutch replacement. It seems that Mazda has also quietly updated the throwout bearing and other clutch parts so budget extra to fix the problem permanently.

Thanks, that's what I gathered as well. It's at 55k now and holding strong, and I've come to terms with shelling out for a new clutch by this time next year. Are there any aftermarket clutches for these (non MazdaSpeed) cars?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

At about two months into owning it I can say fairly certainly that my 3 is the best car I've ever owned. Wish I had gotten onto the Mazda train sooner.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

For such a large long-stroke four banger the 2.5 MZR really loves to rev. I love highway on-ramps.

drat I wish I had a Speed3. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Larrymer posted:

Anything good or bad to say about the Mazda 2.5L in the 2011 Mazda 3? Going to look at one in a bit paired to the 6 speed manual.

I bought one in August with the 2.5/6 speed and I like to brag on it in this thread occasionally. I love this car.

Gas mileage is a bit poo poo, but that's my only complaint. The shifter and clutch, although both have a long throw, feel great, and the big motor puts out enough torque in the midrange that you don't have to row a lot. If you want to, however, the motor feels perfectly fine with revving out to 5-6K. Redline is 6200 and as far as I can tell it'll pull right up there with negligible power drop off.

Road noise is higher than some other cars in it's class but my other car is a Miata so :shobon:

Looking forward to hearing what your thoughts were.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 30, 2015

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

It can also be flashed/tuned pretty well but I never delved into that. Apparently Mazda left some performance on the table to keep it more separated from the MS3.

Any details on this? I hadn't heard of anything like this but with a few more horsepower it would definitely feel good, bro. And start to make up for the gas mileage. :v:

Larrymer posted:

I drove it yesterday. I liked the trans, but thought the gas pedal was ridiculously sensitive from a stop. Taking off I like to try and time gassing it and releasing the clutch and every time barely touching it it would rev to 2-3k rpm.

This took me a little while to get used to as well. It's a symptom of the drive-by-wire tuning. The throttle opens what feels like 50% in the first quarter of the pedal's travel.

Sucks about it being a flood car though.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 31, 2015

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Anyone have experience with the Dynotronics tune for the 2.5 motor? Are they even still around? I shot an email to the address on their site but never got a reply.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Last gen or current gen? I love my 2011 '3 but wish I had held out for a 2012 with the Skyactiv, solely for the mileage bump.

The non Skyactiv 2.5 gas mileage SUUUCKS compared to newer cars. I've read a lot of complaints about premature clutch failure too, and my clutch does engage really high and the dealership told me it's on it's way out. Still doesn't slip in any gear so :effort: when it starts slipping I'll replace it.

Overall it's a fairly well built car and drives well for an econobox.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Oh yeah, it's loud inside too but my other car and previous DD is a NB Miata so :shobon:

Once these lovely Nexen tires that came on the car wear out (soon) I'm going find the quietest tires I can and see if it'll help.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Last gen, a pair of 2013s, one a hatch and the other a sedan.

Coming from a Miata so road noise isn't a big deal, I listen to loud music too.

At about what mileage are the clutches normally going?

Mine has 62,xxx and the engagement point is really high but hasn't changed much if at all from when I bought it at ~55K. If you google Mazda3 clutch failure or similar you'll get a range of results with people claiming their clutches are going out from 50-60k to 30k miles and earlier. That said a lot of these posts are from model specific forums so take from that what you will. I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker but it's something to keep in mind. Rear motor mounts are another common failure point/complaint.

My NB is at like ~165k on it's original clutch and I haven't been easy on it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

What's the quietest tire I can get in 205/50/17?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I know crackheads gonna crackhead but lol if you're breaking into cars for gps units in 2017.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

White Phosphorus posted:

Seems like every manufacturer wants to be "luxury" now. Is this phenomenon fueled by the subprime auto loan craze?

It's caused by the only people buying new cars are olds.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Larrymer posted:

edit: not to say this isn't cool, it just isn't what was initially reported. I'm surprised they actually are using in cylinder pressure sensors and they will actually last...

Oh they'll last through the end of the warranty.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My 2011 Mazda3 seems to have trouble starting when the engine has been run for short periods of time and not warmed up enough.

Like today I had to run over to the hospital lab from the office real quick and I didn't want to bother with taking a company car so jumped in the Mazda. Got in, drove over, and was inside for about 10 minutes. When I came out the car had to crank for 4-5 seconds before it started. It was 25 or so American degrees out.

Anyone else have this experience and is this something I should worry about? No CELs or anything.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Road noise now drives me absolutely nuts, which is why the new yokos sounds so appealing. They may not really be any better on the road.

Unfortunately road noise is just part of Mazda3 ownership.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The clutch in my 2011 non-Speed 3 engages at like the top inch or less of pedal travel. Doesn't ever slip though so I don't know. :iiam:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The heat this summer is absolutely wreaking havoc on the interior of my 2011 Mazda3. I got the notice last year about the extended warranty on the dash, but it was fine then. Now that it's separating around the info screen the campaign has expired.

Today the top of my shift knob came off in the hand. The plastic clip had just disintegrated. :(

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

The dash thing was a recall, maybe the grace period ended though. I was waiting for the super hot temps to end or I figured it’d be a waste of time (mine busted apart years ago). Got hatch openers on recall too, but haven’t ever had an issue.

Yeah I was in the dealership and got the hatch struts and seat rails done but they pretty much said I was SOL on the dash.

The loaner CX9 I got blew me away and had an excellent interior but in the back of my mind I wonder how durable Mazda interiors will be down the line.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Mazda is knocking it out of the park with their interiors.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wibla posted:

Eww.

I much prefer the 14-18 gen over this abomination. Though I own a '15, so I'm probably biased.

How's the 15 noise wise? I came from dailying a Miata so when I got my 2011 I thought it was fairly quiet but now I drive any other vehicle and realize how loud it is at interstate speed.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've got an opportunity to buy a 2000 Miata for $2k. 100k miles, needs a new top, maybe new seat, clutch, and brakes. Friend got it from his mother-in-law in hopes of fixing it up for his wife but she blew out her knee and can't drive a standard anymore. Pretty sure there are no known gotchas like a failing engine or transmission.

Any reasons why this would be a bad idea?

do eeeet

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That's a really excellent looking interior in spite of the screen sticking up out of the dash. The sedan also looks way better than the hatch which is a first, but I just can't get on board with the huge expanse of steel on the back of the hatch.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Why does my local dealership want over 400 dollars for a replacement shift knob for my 2011 Mazda3?

More like stealership am I rite?

But really what the gently caress.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

:toot:

90K in the 2011 Mazda3. What is involved in the 100K service and what should I be paying attention to other than cleaning my gauge lenses.

Clutch doesn't seem to fully engage until the very very last bit of pedal travel but seems to start to (very slightly) engage a little more than halfway up and still isn't slipping so I'm not sure if I should be worried there. There's a bunch of anecdotes on the internet about premature clutch wear in this generation of 3 but I'm not sure if it's a real issue or user error.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 2, 2019

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

They're going to sell 0 of these.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'd get the '18.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is there any way to get Android Auto/CarPlay on the CX-5 Sport (like pay the dealer a few hundo to flash it?) or am I out of luck unless I shell out for the Touring trim?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Pros and cons and opinions of the CX-5 vs the Mazda6 go:

Edit: I'd be buying used, 2017+ preferably. Commuter/dog hauler/possible baby hauler eventually

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

So I have a 2017 Mazda 6 which has Apple Carplay on it. It works fine with my XS Max and it works mostly fine with the new 11 Pro, but it has a weird quirk.

On the XSM, when I unplugged it, it would default back to the Mazda infotainment system and whatever station was on previously, normally a local alt rock station. With the 11P, when it unplugs, it now defaults to a Christian pop station that's not even in my presets and isn't like 88.1 (or whatever the lowest number is). Even if I change it after it's will go back to this random Christian pop station whenever I unplug it.

Your car thinks you need Jesus.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

No one wants to buy our car, better make it cost more!

What the gently caress Mazda.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm going to look at this car https://www.superiormazda.com/inventory/certified-used-2018-mazda-mazda6-touring-fwd-4dr-car-jm1gl1vm1j1312752 this weekend. Is that a good price and how much room for negotiation do dealers have for certified pre-owned cars?

If I can get them down to 16.8 or so OTD (less trade) I'll drive it off the lot. But that seems low vs. other listings.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

They had sold the 2018 by the time I got there but I was talked into a low miles 2015 in Soul Red. Posted a picture in the what did you do to your ride today thread but you've all seen a Mazda6 before.

Outside of the dated infotainment pretty sweet car. Coming from owning manuals in my last....4 cars the skyactiv transmission takes a little getting used to and feels a bit sluggish off the line but seems responsive enough when you get into it. Add to that the floor mounted gas pedal that seems to have a long travel that you have to really push into doesn't help.

Overall I'm satisfied and it feels like a great step up from my 2011 3.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Do the NA 2.5 skyactiv motors get any benefit from running a higher octane fuel? I just put my first tank of gas in the 6 and was curious.

Really digging this boring dad car.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

After a month of ownership I'm still really enjoying the Mazda6. Only complaints are minor: the bottom hinged accelerator pedal still isn't my bag, baby, but I have learned how to drive the transmission and it's quite good.

The auto seems to respond more to how aggressively you press the pedal rather than how far down (until the kickdown switch) and so you really have to tip it in to get the trans to downshift. Pedal travel seems longer than other cars, too.

I appreciate Mazda for not giving it 50% throttle in the first inch of pedal travel though.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Any aftermarket head unit means you lose the command knob, right?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I have a 15, so last year of the in-dash screen. Infotainment is decent enough but bluetooth is slow and never seems to connect right first try.

I really like that stupid knob though.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is it normal for the skyactiv transmission torque converter to not feel locked up when the car is cold? Once it's up to operating temp its fine but it feels more slushy when cold.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wibla posted:

How old is the car, and how many miles on it? If >60k miles, has it ever been flushed?

It's a 2015 with 40K miles. Never been flushed AFAIK but I bought it certified pre-owned just a few months ago. The dealership might have flushed the tranny but probably not due to low mileage.

Either way it works fine most of the time but if it's really cold out the first few miles the torque converter really seems to slip. I'm guessing because it does the same thing on 19s as well it's programmed to do so to quickly warm up transmission fluid or something.

10/10 great car, would buy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Mazdas tend to depreciate more than other Japanese brands so keep that in mind if you go with the new car but if you plan to keep it for a long time anyway I'd go with the 20 for the nicer interior and quality of life improvements.