Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Thinking of pulling the trigger on an 08 Mazdaspeed 3 GT. Has 15k miles on it and all the bells and whistles except the nav. Anything I should expect going from a GTI to this car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Well, looks like I'll be completing the deal tomorrow. Found a buyer for the GTI and I just have to drop by the dealership early tomorrow and grab the Speed3. I don't often drive with a lot of passengers, but I think my dog will fit better in the car too. :)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Got the MS3 (in black) today. Car is a demon, getting used to the shorter clutch after my super long VW clutch. The dealer even renewed the satellite radio just a few days ago so now Sirius gave me 6 months free.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm loving the Speed3 after a few days of driving it. Still not quite used to the shifting and the clutch on it, I feel like I don't even have to give it gas after upshifting. The shifter feels slightly notchy too, but still solid. Most difficult part is that I don't seem to be going fast until I look down and see that I'm cruising at 80 in a 65. I did smoke some guy in a V6 Mustang (probably automatic) though :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What kind of MPG are you MS3 guys getting? It's probably 60/40 Hwy/City and I'm getting around 20-22mpg. I even tried to drive pretty conservatively for this tank.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CombatWombat posted:

Well the dealership is taking care of it under warranty and the technician didn't seem alarmed about it or anything so I dunno. Also they're doing something with the engine, something about the ignition coil, I think?

Normally I would know what it was but the tech just rattled it off once and said they'd take care of it. I didn't really catch what he actually said. But hey, my car should be done tomorrow and it should be all good again so yay!

The engine mount?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

So I installed the MS CAI for my car today and I must say I can feel a bit more grunt down low. Now I just need to befriend someone with access to a dyno so I can see what kind of numbers the car is putting out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Getting any CELs or fuel cut? What's the ambient temp like where you live? Is it a new model or one of the older ones?

No CEL or anything else yet. Here in Texas, usually pretty loving hot in the summer but right now we're all over the place. 30's to 60's is probably pretty average. And it's a 2008.5 GT in Black.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Sorry, meant new or old model of CAI?

Oh, duh. It's the new one. I heard something about the old one being discontinued, but not sure what the reason was?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Off tomorrow, wish I could go for a drive but it's going to be all rainy. Blah.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Purdy.

I want to get the MS catback. It sounds so sweet.

Yeah, I really want this too.

Took the MS3 out to the lake area today. Lots of narrow roads with tons of hills and curves. Rolled down the windows to hear the CAI sucking and the BOV. Was lovely, not a soul on the road but me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mattfl posted:

Well, of course after I test drove it I had to have it! So here it is!

Image isn't working but congrats! I have a black 2008.5 GT. Enjoy it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have some 215/45/18 Pirelli P Zero Nero All-Seasons (longest tire name ever, christ) on there. I imagine the 225 fits on the stock rim just fine?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Like they should have been the factory size.

They are on the '10 MS3s I think. Although they may be 225/40/18 now. I can't really complain though, I got this car at 16k miles and they had thrown a new set of tires on for me. Imagine the stock ones were pretty much gone.

Went to look at an SRT6 Crossfire once and the tires were completely bald. Test driving that thing was fun.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think the blue would be weird with the red trimmed seats, especially if it's the leather trimmed GT seats.

Black Mica w/ super dark tint. :cool:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kynetx posted:

That's an odd thought. Well, you can't see the paint from the inside of the building and to see the red trim on the seats you can't have a tint and.... strange.

Just wouldn't appeal to me to have a blue car and red and black seats. Thats all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wish they had the yellow from the Protege5 still around :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have any experience with a roof rack on the MS3 or the regular Mazda3? I am wanting a Yakima or Thule. Mostly for kayaks but bikes too. I read on another forum they see almost a 9 mpg reduction on the highway. It can't possibly be that bad, could it? I'm getting around 25 combined mpg, about 60/40 hwy/city, right now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Found a guy parting with a Yakima roof rack system which is perfect except just need to replace the landing pads. Should be a steal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I put this Yakima rack I bought off Craigslist on today. Used the built in mounting brackets under the rain gutters. Haven't got a fairing yet, but jesus christ does it need one. Hit about ~50 and it sounds like you're about to take off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Some pics from the roof rack install using the built in mounting anchors

Click here for the full 1984x1488 image.

On another note, anyone know how to remove a silicone stain from the dash? I used that Garmin friction mount and it stained the dash. I tried scrubbing it but it's still there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have any experience with the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires? Longest name ever, but I saw good reviews on them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tremek posted:

It's not different in any appreciable way that should make someone not overly familiar with manual transmissions wary. There's 6 speeds plus reverse, and the shift pattern may be a little different than what you may have learned to drive on, but you will figure it out in seconds. Is it the best shifter ever? No, it's a little rubbery with the stock bushings, but that's cheap and easy to fix.

Things to look for: don't buy mine? Any car you're looking at owning should hopefully have little pre-ricing done to it and be clean. Carfax etc. before you buy.

Speaking of bushings, anyone have recommendations? Also know if they'll void factory warranty?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone know how often the CAI filter needs to be cleaned?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Had a fun problem with my fuel gauge.

Filled up the night before, then when I was driving the next day I looked down and my gas gauge was at 1/2. I pulled over and checked to see if someone had pried open the tank door to siphon gas or I was leaking gas. No leaks, fuel door was fine. Went to the gas station and was only able to put in just over a gallon. It rose up to 3/4 and stayed there. I went somewhere else and while driving, it completely dropped to below E.

Took it to the dealership and its the fuel sending unit. Although it's covered under warranty, the dealership won't give me a loaner car unless it's 4 hours of labor or more. I think they said to drop the tank and everything was around 2.3. :mad:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone know where I can get the TZR rear motor mount thats actually in stock? Protege garage is sold out for however long.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Did a service today:
Oil change, full synthetic
brake fluid
tranny fluid
throttle body cleaned
tires rotated
and they cleaned the poo poo out of my CAI filter, all for only 200 bucks.

:krad:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bovine Delight posted:

Anyone know where I can get the TZR rear motor mount thats actually in stock? Protege garage is sold out for however long.

Finally got this in. Vibrations are pretty intense, but you can slam it 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and never miss a shift. Highly recommended.

ps does anyone still post in this thread? :ohdear:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

air- posted:

Wow. How many miles?

I think I gotta get started on researching brakes, I'm at 44k right now.

Just did this as my 30k service. Tranny fluid could have probably gone another 10k or so but I wanted to put in that fancy Ford synthetic, the XT-M5-QS stuff.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not really because we're all too busy driving :v: That mount sounds really nice though. How much did it set you back? I want to do that and an oil catch can since apparently Mazda will never actually finish the revised PCV system.

I just rolled over 60k on mine on Sunday. I've got some pricey-rear end sparkplugs, some pricey-rear end Ford synthetic transmission fluid, some Pennzoil Platinum and a Mazda oil filter, an AEM cleaning kit, and some two-part epoxy to fix some of the busted mount points on my front bumper, waiting for me to have some time.

Has anyone found ramps that just work with the car? I have to lay out some wood in front of mine to have the front splitter not push the ramps ahead and it's really obnoxious since the only wood I have is a giant piece of particleboard. The fact that I'm running slightly shorter 225/40R18s instead of the 215/45R18s doesn't help either.

Motor mount was 100 bucks, free shipping. Seriously the easiest install ever. 17mm socket and ratchet, a torque wrench and some gloves. Pop out two bolts, wiggle out the stock mount, then pull the tranny forward a bit and pop in the new mount. Throw some loctite on the bolts, torque them to around 80ft/lbs, and you're done. There are some intense vibes when you're first rolling out of first with the AC one, supposedly they get better once you "break in" the mount.

I can put mine on the rhino ramps pretty well, you do have to be careful of the splitter pushing them forward. I put the TRZ dogbone motor mount on with them last night, in fact.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kynetx posted:

No. Nor is the fuel pump have sufficient capacity to keep it rich enough, so I suspect black magic. If you look at the dyno footage it might be as simple as just keeping the throttle more consistently open. The stock pull shows some erratic movement.

I dunno. I was under the impression that these engines were about as tuned as they were gonna get, barring something that would impact NVH, like intake and exhaust mods. If this particular tune is legit that's a lot of bang for the buck... $500.00 for a 30% increase across the board. Wow. I like that in between shifts, the RPMs float at 5500. Is that considered no-lift shifting? That coupled with launch control would be pretty drat cool.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. The official Mazdaspeed intake and exhaust are supposed to get you over 300. This is only 40 more than that. Maybe it can take the increase.

Well, you can build the engine that much but there is no way I'd run that flash without upgrading a few things. You mentioned the fuel pump which is absolutely required, either a SRI/CAI, a rear motor mount, a catback exhaust. Probably need to upgrade the BOV and throw a test pipe on there as there is a pretty big restriction there.

The Cobb guys are based right near me, I wish I could get them to tune the car but it's my daily driver and I don't think it would be all that fun in traffic.

edit: read the MSF forums, they tore this guy apart. Looks sketchy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 19, 2010

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SynMoo posted:

I'll probably never do anything more than a CAI/SRI, RMM and a mild tune. Maybe some lighter wheels.

My MKIV GTI 1.8T was perfect. Koni Sport Cup Kit, General Exclaim UHP tires and the GIAC 93 octane program. Should have never sold that car.

Thankfully, I already love the suspension on this car. The only thing I might consider is switching to Koni FSD's to get a little more comfort out while not sacrificing the handling.

As far as a CAI or SRI, I'm located very close to CP-E and can't decide if I want the SRI or the CAI. Based on the dyno charts on their website, the full CAI significantly improves spool time, which is a pet peeve of mine. Coming from a 1.8T and then a 2.0T, this thing takes ages to get going despite having more displacement. Yeah, I know the turbo is larger, but it's still has a bit more lag than I like. Spooling at 2K was amazing.

Anyone have an opinion on CAI vs. SRI? I like the idea of the SRI being less expensive and less 2fast2furious for lack of a better term, but the dyno graphs clearly show the CAI to be a better performer. I'd like the dyno graphs but they appear to have redone their website and forgot the links.

CAI http://cp-e.com/content/mazdaspeed3-gen2-xcel%E2%84%A2-cold-air-intake
SRI http://cp-e.com/content/mazdaspeed3-gen2-xcelnano%E2%84%A2-air-intake

I have a CAI, works dandy. If you live where there is a lot of water on the ground frequently, the SRI may be a better bet.

It's funny too, because my last car was a MkIV GTI. I almost want a TDI Golf.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

stoko posted:

Just got home from picking up my new (to me obviously) MS6. It's a black sport, so nothing special, but it's fun nonetheless. The PO put an annoying BOV on it, and I'm not sure if I would rather just deal with it or replace it with a stock BPV. I guess the BOV is a pretty good one, but I'm not really the biggest fan of the sound.

I'll throw up some pictures tomorrow when I can actually see the car.

Are you sure it is a BOV? You can still hear the sound from a BPV if you have an intake. If it is a BOV you should get rid of that poo poo because it's absolutely retarded on this type of car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did the transmission fluid today, used three quarts of the Ford XT-M5-QS crazy poo poo and 4oz of friction modifier. Easy as hell to get the old stuff out, and since you can get at the fill hole from above with enough hose, easy as hell to get the new stuff in.

Longest part of the drat job? Cutting a 24mm socket down with a dremel to clear between the lower control arm and the transmission itself since I didn't want to bother ordering a shallow 24mm socket online. Which reminds me, I need to get some fiberglass cutoff wheels; I hate the useless brown ones, I shattered at least four of the fuckers.

How do you like it? I could tell the difference for sure.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Filing this in the same category as a mid-engine V6 Corvette: possible diesel MS3.

If only because with the amount of torque you'd have on tap from a 200hp+ turbodiesel, the MS3 would probably start hunting for trees even when stopped :downsrim:

Oh my god I would buy a turbodiesel MS3 so loving fast. They would have to make it AWD though, wouldn't they? You'd be pushing so much torque the traction control would either be barely able to hang on or would be such a nanny it would remove all the fun. Then you could turn it off, but that would just melt the tires.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Frosty- posted:

Well, I got pegged by some space cadet while on a road trip. I won't even be back home for ~10 more days, so I guess I'm extremely lucky it didn't come out worse than this:

Click here for the full 1024x765 image.

Sucks to hear about your baby. Looks like it'll be a easy refinish job on the bumper cover. If you ever have any questions on the insurance end you can PM me, I'm work as a claims adjuster.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SynMoo posted:

I'm pretty displeased with the gearbox in the gen2. Where did you get the oil and the modifier?

The gearbox in the 1st and 2nd gen are the same gearbox, they are both the Aisin model. The gear oil does help a lot though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just can't find the love for the second gen. My biggest gripes are the hood scoop, the front bumper and the god awful seats. I love my alcantara seats so much.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SynMoo posted:

I'm not a fan of the seats either. I've considered picking up a set of gen 1 seats one day when I have too much money.

The scoop serves a function at least.

If I ever wrap it around a tree you can buy mine. :haw:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I definitely didn't want the one with the BOV-- with all of the cars that I've looked at I really don't want anything with modifications, period. (What's the deal with everyone and their mother painting the emblems black?) It also had a big dent in the --- whatever you call that length of the body under the driver side door, along with a new sideskirt to cover it up. And a turbo timer. The dealership it was at denied that it was ever in an accident and wouldn't budge on the price either. (It was a fun test drive, at least, but $15k was way too much for it.)

The changes for the 08.5 only included the GT, I think. They were only minor/visual changes. the cloth/leather seats now have alcantara instead of the grey/silver bits, along with alcantara on the dooor panels, and piano black plastic on the dash. Overall it just looks nicer.

Edit: The seller of the MS3 in question hasn't gotten back to me, and the price seemed suspiciously low for a GT with that mileage. I think I'm going to keep looking.

There's a dealership with an 09 GT on the lot that's a demo model. When I test drove it in July it had 3500+ miles on it and apparently the manager had been using it. When I saw it in the lot there were Whataburger cups in the cupholders and bunch of other crap. I tried get the salesman to come way down. After all, it's only a "new" car because it hasn't been titled. The mileage and wear on it already make a used car. Not to mention that demos are probably not treated that great. The price they wrote down was $22k-- which is about $1k over invoice, I think when it was new. But I had read on a few of the Mazda forums that people were paying $19k new back in 2009. I may call up the dealership again and really low ball them along with demanding an extended warranty, but it's probably not worth my time since I don't think they're all that motivated to sell it at this point.

I bought an 08.5 GT for about 19k out the door (tax and everything) around a year ago. Vehicle was owned by Mazda North America for some purpose or the other, had around 15k miles on it. No mods, clean title. Had just a couple of very minor rock chips that you'll find on any car thats been on a desert highway. I think you could get an 08.5 or 09 for around 16k-17k now.

Private party is probably your best bet but make sure you spend the money on a carfax (even though it won't help if they didn't ever report the ax and just paid out of pocket) to help alleviate any fears. If you know anyone in insurance, see if they can run an ISO report on the VIN. Something like 95% of all insurance companies use it it will include if they've ever filed a claim on the car.

Comedy option: find a mazda3 SP23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pointless Metaphor posted:

[Disclaimer: I'm retarded and inconsiderate and all that jazz.]
Last night I didn't get to drive home from work until after 1AM, so with no one on the road and feeling quite frustrated, I hit 140 mph on a long straight in my 2008.5.

I was amazed at how stable the car felt at 140; while I can't hyperbolize and say it was the same as going 80, I can confidently say it did not feel that much less solid.

While I certainly won't be going that fast in the near future, I'll add it to the list of reasons I freaking love this car.

I've always wanted to get the max speed indicator on my GPS to show around 155mph, but I'm way too chicken to get it up there.