Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
I have an 08.5 metro gray MS3. Don't even start with the :gay: commments, its a drat nice color. :colbert:

Right now I just have 15% tint all around (excluding windshield of course) but other than that I'm just stock. I'm looking at the Cobb SRI and downpipe, but I've been hearing about the broken battery bracket too much for the SRI so it makes me a little uneasy. As for the downpipe, I weighed it between them and CP-E. CP-E is cheaper, but I'm going high-flow cat anyways so it comes out to be the same.

I'll probably in the long run end up with an AP, so I figured I'd just stick with Cobb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Psylocibe posted:

Why do you say that? Anyone we've put those on at my shop has generally been pleased with the performance.

+1. The only time my RE050As lose traction is when I stomp on the gas, and the pavements been dry when that happened. :crossarms:

Heck, if they weren't $215 each, I'd consider replacing mine once they wear down but thats $860 for four tires.. Ugh.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Does anyone else have this shifter problem: When its cold out (I'll say around 40 or so, maybe a little warmer?) and my car has sat over night - when I start my car up and try driving off, is it hard to get into 2nd gear? After the car warms up, it's fine so I'm thinking its just cold gear oil or whatever. Is there anyway to fix it, or just live with it, since it goes away at higher temps?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Mine doesn't grind or whatnot, just that notchy-shift feeling turns into a "slamming it into a wall" feeling. Generally, letting the clutch out once or twice lets it slide in, but its rough.

I've heard on some Mazda forums that Royal Purple makes a tranny oil? Any idea if that's right and if it helps?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Pointless Metaphor posted:

Hi Fellow Mazdafolk-

I have a question: should I make a retarded financial decision in order to upgrade to a Mazdaspeed3?

:words:

I would have to trade in my 3, but I'd only get about $14k or $14.5k, while I owe 316/mo for 68 more months. [buyout amount right now is 16,850 because I have been paying heavily against the principal.] The speed3 is listed at 18,600, but I'd bet they'd lower that a bit considering how aggressively they keep calling me back.

Even if I did get a good deal on the speed3, i'd basically lose all the money I put into my 3 for the past 4 months.

More :words:

Sounds like you're in the exact same predicament I was in back in August of '08. I had an 04 MZ3 (5mt) and wanted to upgrade to a Speed3. What I did was the same - overpaid my MZ3 ridiculously and got it down to actual trade-in value. So in essence, you aren't losing the money you put into the car - you're just helping yourself not carry more negative equity.

In my experience - I would buy the car again in a heartbeat. I even drove 450 miles to get the damned thing. Do it, and do it now. Don't look back. You won't regret it.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I'm wanting to spring on Cobb's SRI but I keep reading about those broken battery mounts or whatever that part is it mounts to. It makes me nervous and I don't want to ruin my MAF - but I want to mod my car too. :smith:

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Frosty- posted:

I think they've said everything will be okay even without the bracket, but their lack of movement on this is mind-blowing. Corksport and cp-e have alternatives, though.

That's not true - Cobb has stated NOT to run without the bracket, because the vibrations incurred from doing so would over time ruin the MAF sensor. And since the bracket has the tendency to break, that's what makes me nervous. Anything with the word "sensor" in the name is bound to be expensive to replace.. :ohdear:

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Frosty- posted:

One solution would be to release an airbox that fits into the stock location but doesn't constrict the flow. That would also help keep some small amount of grime and poo poo from spraying all over the engine bay, which would make me happy.

Do you know if Cobb's airbox is supposed to fix like you say? But then again, :iiam: when that thing will be released. Also, are you just talking about road grime in general or poo poo coming off the filter?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Whoa, nice bullet dodging there. :buddy:

I'm guessing a recent storm caused that? Also, are you speaking of all Mazdas being cursed or just yours in particular?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Syd posted:

All Mazdas are cursed. There was a stretch for about 3-4 months that everyones Mazdas were being rear-ended or t-boned or somehow being destroyed.

I'm gonna quote, but not comment on this out of the fear of jinxing myself. I'm sure you can assume what I mean. :tinfoil:

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
So let me get this straight - Gary at Cobb pulled the plug on the MS3, pissed the community off and then decided to take it back and release no lift shifting and something else for the AP?

Do you know if they pulled all further development of aftermarket for the car?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure that over the course of driving it home last night two different people tried to get me to race them.

Come live in my town - I've had my car around 7-8 months and no one's tried to race me.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
For the MS3, I've heard that if you have a Cobb inlet mounted with the SRI it reduced movement and, due to the silicone inlet, allows a little flex - which in turn makes it "impossible to break the bracket."

Any truth or validity to this? Has anyone got an inlet and sri with no broken brackets?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I'm just researching new tires before the "have to have 'em" time comes. I was looking on Tire Rack and saw that Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport beat the stock RE050As by a ton, plus they're $158 each, compared to $215 ($632 vs $860 for a set.)

Anyone have experience with these? A while back, I decided that Falken 912s would be my replacement, but these seem to have my interest. Any comparisons?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Lilbeefer posted:

I read one of the US based Mazdaspeed forums for about 10 minutes before I had to stop in :psyduck:

I have not seen that much rage against vendors, Mazda and even their fellow forum users.

Yea, the Cobb and CP-E fight is like William Wallace for Scotland. :black101: Also, because of the whiny/bitchyness of that, Cobb pulled support for our cars. :downs:

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Frosty- posted:

Yeah, but because of wonderful people like you and me they reversed that decision almost immediately and then really got to work releasing the ATR software and all that fine stuff.

Yea, but didn't they halt production on new items - the cold air box, coilovers, etc?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Any word on a cold air box? I'd strongly consider the SRI if I had that I believe.

Ninja edit: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=141988.30 oh, pays to search. :doh:

Sublime Process fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 7, 2009

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Anyone have nav in theirs? I had it set to where all the icons were displayed on the map, and they've all disappeared? I've tried zooming in and out with no luck. Any ideas?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goddamnit. The only road trip I've been able to take in mine so far has been to LA/SD and back; in other words, a lot of Interstate 10. I need to get on a road trip where I can hit the curves for more than a few miles at a time.

At least you live near curves. My city is flat as graph paper and has as many twisties as a ruler. The most exciting thing I can drive is a highway on ramp. :smith:

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

So the nearby Mazda dealer has a new 09 MS3 sitting on the lot. The internet price is $23k, which I can swing, but I feel like I can do better. What would be a reasonable offer? I haven't driven it yet, but it seems like it will largely meet most of my desires, and all the regular Mazda3s I've driven I've greatly enjoyed.

Sport or GT? Here's what you do - go to a few car appraisal sites and fetch out the invoice with the options you want. I did this, and when I had three or four sites saying the car is worth 3k less than what they said, they couldn't do anything but sell it as I said. Same thing goes for your trade-in. :coal:

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

BexGu posted:

Which ones did you use? Because I'm looking at the same situation.

Nada
Kelly Blue Book
Edmunds.com will give the invoice price

Then I used a couple dealer sites that I had access to, because at the time I was working at one. Typically, what you wanna do is high ball your car (if possible) and low-ball theirs. I had a black MZ3 with 40k, and one dent - car was in great shape. Each site said my car was worth around 11,800 but when you get the average - it jumped up to 12,600. Naturally I used that price. So, when I traded it I got 12k for it. :toot:

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
For those wanting a cold air box with the Cobb SRI, Corksport released theirs finally.

From what I've read, it mounts to the battery bracket and somewhere near the frame.

http://www.corksport.com/corksport-cobb-airbox.html

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can any of you guys with '07-'09 MS3s do me a huge favor and tell me what the label on the lower left of your windshield is?

I'll check mine in the morning for you and see.

Edit:Yea, no Mazda logo - its pretty much like yours.

Sublime Process fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 15, 2009

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
How many miles has everyone gotten outta their stock Bridgestones? I've got 12,1xx on mine right now and they seem to have a fair amount of tread left but I don't want to all of a sudden be hit with $600 worth of tires needed in four months either.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Running about 85/15 hwy/city I get around 21-24 mpg. Running Pennzoil Platinum full synth. and completely stock.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I wanna play too. I just got my first UOA back in email this morning.

When I took the sample, I had 11,8xx on the odometer and had run oci at 1k miles, 4k, 7k and then timing wasn't good and slipped from every 3k to 4,3xx miles. At 7k, I switched from conventional to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.

This is what I got:

Blackstone Labs posted:

Yes indeed, we do have good news for you. This engine appears to be breaking-in normally at 11,818 miles. Copper, from brass and bronze parts, is the only metal that's lingering from wear-in of new parts. Sometimes it takes copper a long time (up to 40,000 miles) to settle down to average levels. Everything else is already normal. The rings (chrome) appear to have seated correctly and iron, from steel parts, was normal. Universal averages show typical wear for this type of engine after about 4200 miles on the oil. This is going to be a nice engine for you.

Copper is at 53, average being 19, but he stated that. Fuel was less than .5. Anyone know what the SUS and cSt viscosity means? They were 55.9 and 9.03 respectively.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

CombatWombat posted:

I'm having a somewhat similar issue to CharlesM, granted it's relatively infrequent: my MS6 will not let me shift fully into first; it'll go halfway and feel stuck. If I let it go back to neutral and release/re-press the clutch it usually fixes it.

My 08 MS3 does the exact thing. I always leave the car in 1st when parked, and sometimes I'll coast into my driveway or let the car idle in neutral. When I go to put it in 1st it happens. I'm also curious if Redline would help.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Frosty- posted:

I don't want to buy some kind of really aggressive tire that'll be shredded in 10k, and I don't want to pay 250 dollars apiece, but I don't know what's what. Any ideas?

I'm in the same situation - I've got just at 16k on my car and my tires are down to 4/32nds and I granny the car. Tirerack has Bridgestone RE760s that are $151 I believe each - they look fairly decent and have good reviews. Treadwear is a 340 (compared to stock 140.) I believe these are the ones I'll get, but given my financial situation (broke as poo poo) I may have to rid the stock tires till bald.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

air- posted:

RE: Tires

The ones on this list are reasonably priced. I used these to help me decide on the Hankook Ventus V12's when I hit about 21.5/22k last August. They definitely handle much better than the stockers. Chose them because at the time, Hankook had a nice rebate plus I like that they are one of the quieter tires on that test yet still have solid, above average performance. The Star Specs are most commonly recommended by other local Speed3 drivers for pure performance if you really don't care about noise/comfort. The RE760's are a good suggestion if you're seeking a comfortable ride.

What size Star Specs do they put on? I couldn't find them in factory sizing? Given the 760's review in that list, I'm not sure I want them as much anymore. The Hankooks were also on my "maybe" list - but, again, given the review they have moved up in choice I think.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Frosty- posted:

I hope these last a lot longer than the stockers did.

Let me know how those go, because I want the 760s but I've been hearing real good stuff about the Hankooks. I'd love to hear a mileage update on these.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Do you guys think that the extra pound per tire from the 760s will be noticeable compared to stock? (25/tire vs 24/tire)

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Has anyone heard of the TSB involving the cigarette lighters and phone chargers? My gf plugged hers in and when removing it pulled the metal part of the lighter out of the dash and then it snapped back in like a spring. Now the lights around it only light up half the circle. I looked on the mazda forums but for some reason the TSB sub-forum never updates and I only see four topics?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
After owning my car for almost two years, I've got the mod bug pretty hard. But for some reason I can't make myself buy the drat Cobb SRI. Its the one I want, but I'm just scared it'll screw something up.

Everyone reassure me it'll be great so I can buy the drat thing already.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Said screw it and went ahead and ordered it. Back ordered until mid-July :negative:

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Well I ordered that intake, but as I said, its backordered. No rush on it though, I'll be too busy to install it anyways; so the wait won't kill me.

But now I'm considering a rear motor mount. I'm not a race driver, I rarely flog the car and when I do, its only for a highway on-ramp. So, in short, I want a soft mount that'll do its job better than stock but still not vibrate me to death like a paint shaker. From what I've heard, SU's mount does a fair job but I've heard its common for heat to mess with them?

Could someone due a compare and contrast on CP-E's mount and SU's? I just about only know one's urethane and the other is rubber right?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Hey guys, I need some quick help. My cobb sri came with these weird looking things instead of bolts for the MAF housing. I'm confused as hell as to why they're in here instead of the bolts like the PDF and manual have.

Is it safe to still use these or should I just go to Home Depot? If so, what size are they? Just regular m6?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Sublime Process posted:

Hey guys, I need some quick help. My cobb sri came with these weird looking things instead of bolts for the MAF housing. I'm confused as hell as to why they're in here instead of the bolts like the PDF and manual have.

Is it safe to still use these or should I just go to Home Depot? If so, what size are they? Just regular m6?

Helps if the pic stays attached...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Existing bolt? :confused: There are no existing bolts for this - its for the new mounting bracket and new MAF housing.

Either way, they didn't fit so I just went to Home Depot.

Edit: Thanks for the pic, but I'm confused as to what you're pic is of?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Ah ok, that explains it. I cross posted this on a mazda forum and a guy said it was for the CAI.

Either way, thanks for the reply. Home Depot saved me. Now my car sounds like a hoover. :smugdog:

Edit: vvvv Fixed it, sorry. Been on Mazda forums too long that day. :(

Sublime Process fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 23, 2010

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Anyone had problem with their Sirius radio? Mine, which I've had activated before, just sits on "Acquiring" and doesn't change. Took it to Mazda and they don't even know.

All the rest of the radio works fine, 100%. Just not Sirius. And yea, my subscriptions up to date because I just signed up for it three weeks ago again. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

SynMoo posted:

Leave it in a clear view of the sky with the radio on accessory for a good 30-45 minutes and see if that fixes it up.

Tried that - I drove with it on "Acquiring" for over an hour going from Memphis to Louisville. Sat in various parking lots for about an hour total as well. Even the Louisville Mazda just kinda looked at it and shrugged. Figures. I'm dropping it off tonight at my Mazda, so hopefully they'll get it done. I know they ordered something for it.