Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm not sure where else to go. I'm currently a television cameraman in Orlando- live sports mostly, and my wife and I are dead sick of this place. We really want to get out of here, but I'm not sure where the good markets are. I did LA for a bit and didn't really care for it. Plus we have a 1 year old and two dogs, so that life isn't for us. I know there's Atlanta, but it's still basically the climate and terrain of Florida. It's still a possibility, though. There's New York, but I don't really know much about the area. I was also thinking about North Carolina, since there is a ton of teams up there, but, again, I don't really know any of the other TV sports markets.

I mean, my end goal is to get into films, but I still need regular TV work to make ends meet.

Any thoughts?

Edit- I should probably put this in the career thread, sorry

Narzack fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Minneapolis/St. Paul have a ton of pro sports teams and is a great place to raise a family.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
[Wrong thread, sorry!]

simplyhorribul fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 6, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Does SA have an art chat thread/irc?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

Minneapolis/St. Paul have a ton of pro sports teams and is a great place to raise a family.

You are not the first one to tell me this. It's on my list of places to check.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

lofi posted:

As far as I know, this or one of the doodle threads is it. The comics folks used to hang out at #makingcomics on Synirc, which I went on because it was the closest thing I could find to an art channel, but now that's dead too. If you're all on some channel or Discord I don't know about I'd like to hear about it.

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet
Hello thread.

I am looking for a visual artist.
I don't know their active time period but probably 1920 to 2018. I don't know their origin either but maybe American. This artist does, probably among other things, striking portraits of women in standing/sitting poses, surrounded by fruit, birds, etc on generally pastoral backgrounds. I remember the portraits being gilded or gold-framed, like byzantine Christian art, and generally not in a squared or rectangular shape, but more vertical, with ornate frames. It is not Klimt, but looks a little bit like it.

The gold framing looks like this:

and the color palette/style is quite similar to this:

I have spent the past hour googling a combination of terms and I just can't find them.
Please help!!

Edit: After another hour of googling, I have it was Alphonse Mucha or similar art nouveau.

Testicular Torque Wrench fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 13, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
EDIT: Disregard!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 17, 2018

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Do those of you who juggle multiple projects work on each of them every day, devote different days for different projects, or power through one project to completion (or some major milestone) before switching to the next?

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i have multiple projects and i never work on any of them

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I really like having multiple things on the go, it lets me feel like I'm taking a break by switching project.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Whichever has some sort of deadline gets put off until that's looming, otherwise it's wherever I had an idea or saw something I wanted to try.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I work in multiple projects per day because that’s just how deadlines stack up.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Multiple projects at once, although I try to get to a stopping point with one before hitting the next. Just something where I know it's not finished but I need a break to come back to it.

And I (usually) prioritize based on who's paying the most.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Oil painting -

I'd like to use some large dark spaces in painting, but anytime I try it, I get a dull matt finish that doesn't provide much contrast or atmosphere at all.
Is there a trick to managing these types of area in a painting? Have been wondering if trying to create a varnished or glossy style finish would help?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Are you using black? Large areas of black will look flat, it's better to use a deep shade of a colour, and vary it a little within the area.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Yea - I even tried to buy a blacker black at one point (it didn't make a difference..).

Cheers for the suggestion - is it more appropriate to actually avoid black completely and mix towards something dark through deep colours?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I think it's largely a taste thing, but I've had more success doing that way, yes.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

One of the things I was taught was to never use pure black or pure white. Maybe just a tiny bit for a few accents but nothing more. Obviously rules can be broken but that has been a good rule of thumb.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I've always found mixing a dark blue with burnt umber brings out a really satisfying shade of black

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 23, 2018

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 23, 2018

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah burnt umber is useful for making nice blacks. A good blue to pair with it would be something like an ultramarine blue. Another nice combination is ultramarine blue + burnt sienna that you could try as well (there are so many combinations so just try stuff out). That said there's nothing wrong with using pure black if you decide you prefer that, many of the old masters did. You can still add some color to it or tint it out with a little white to get variation in the dark areas.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

mudskipp posted:

Yea - I even tried to buy a blacker black at one point (it didn't make a difference..).

Cheers for the suggestion - is it more appropriate to actually avoid black completely and mix towards something dark through deep colours?

Very few things in real life are actually black or white, so large areas of black in a painting will stand out as being unnatural. Black and white both mute the intensity of colors pretty hardcore as well, so if you want a deep, saturated area in your painting black is a bad choice.

Similarly, shadows aren't black either - our eyes generally interpret them as being toned towards the complement of whatever color your light source is. So, yellow sunlight would have shadows tinted towards the navy/purple side of the color wheel, not black.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Futaba Anzu posted:

I've always found mixing a dark blue with burnt umber brings out a really satisfying shade of black
this is my recipe for non-black black too, a touch of bright yellow makes it pop even more (and i usually add a bit of red to stop it looking too bilious)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lofi posted:

There is a general cc chat thread, or one of the daily drawing threads.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Can someone help me with an audio project I'm working on? I'm trying to do my own plunderphonics, but I can't time everything down. I have almost all the samples I need.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Okay. I'm on a brand new Mac. Using brand new Creative Suite. Everything's up-to-date.

I can't paste text from Illustrator into Keynote. It pastes as an image/PDF.

Even when I just highlight it with the text tool.

And the same when I try to paste into Notes, Mail, Text Edit.

I managed to change some hosed up settings for Text Edit, so at least it's editable and I can then copy THAT into keynote but it doesn't keep the typeface/style etc.

Research shows its a Rich Text vs Plain Text thing?

Help. This sucks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

do you have 'paste without formatting or equivalent in Keynote?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
It's not an option. Paste and Paste and Match Style are grayed out in the menu bar.

Clicking a non-text box area, you can paste but it pastes as an image.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What about pasting into a notepad then copying out of that?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Anyone have ideas for a sort of “free your brain” exercise for oil painting?

I just started painting, and I apparently paint like I draw: precisely with outlines. It does not lend itself to oil paints. I’m making bob Ross after bob Ross here.

When I was doing figure drawing, my teacher had us do gesture drawings and minute poses. She also had us tie the pencil to a stick so we HAD to stand back and give up control. I hated these exercises but they taught me so much.

Anything similar for oils?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Get drunk?

Paints don't easily lend themselves well to that style.

Do you shade your drawings?

Without seeing your work, it's difficult to gauge how to alter your work.

Granted it's been a while since I've painted, but I'm gonna guess you're attempting for a tighter technique over a looser gestural thing.

If you're trying to do volumetric stuff use your shading as a basis for painting, using even grayscale as a value study. Oils are super blendable thanks to their long drying time. I was taught to start with my midtones, work my darks, and finish my lights. It's easy to make something darker, but really hard (if not impossible) to make things lighter. Color theory goes a long way here.

That exercise from your teacher, while good doesn't fully address painting. You can have control of the medium completely, you just need to play with it and get a feel for how it handles. Stepping back is good though. It makes you see your work from a distance and not get focused in the details. Painting typically involves larger surfaces than drawings, moving away from your work surface helps to keep a good view of the overall composition. That said it still helps to "zoom in" and work the details as necessary and as you become more comfortable with the medium.

Tl;dr: play with the medium and get a feel for it. It's gonna take multiple failed paintings until you can make a successful one.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Ok. That works!

Honestly getting drunk is a good suggestion. The idea to start with mid tones and go from there will help, too. I think I need to take a class.

I don’t have a style - think “housewife paints along with Bob Ross” and it’s close. Except more recognizable. I’ve only painted a handful of times, but, maybe I should give up if that’s where I’m starting. I don’t know. I have these materials I got for free, though, so I’d like to keep trying. Plus I kind of like it.

This is what I mean: These things are in the order I painted them, left to right. I had two glasses of wine with the sky on the middle one, and it's noticeably WAY better than the other two.

I call them "Bob Ross Only Shittier", "Bob Ross With A Cool Sky and Horrible Water", and "Bob Ross Emo Phase".

The onion isn't finished - the top and the shadow aren't in yet - but I think I use too much black and white for shadow and stuff. I look at the real onion I put on my windowsill, and I see, it's reddish-purple, so I will make it that. Artists look at the onion and see red / brown / blue / purple / yellow / gold / silver / green / etc. If that makes sense.

I'm just starting from 0 here, so a class would be awesome. It's just $ worries keeping me away of course.

ugh how the gently caress do you embed an image

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 27, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you like it, just do it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Thursday Next posted:

Anyone have ideas for a sort of “free your brain” exercise for oil painting?

I just started painting, and I apparently paint like I draw: precisely with outlines. It does not lend itself to oil paints. I’m making bob Ross after bob Ross here.

When I was doing figure drawing, my teacher had us do gesture drawings and minute poses. She also had us tie the pencil to a stick so we HAD to stand back and give up control. I hated these exercises but they taught me so much.

Anything similar for oils?

Maybe switch to acrylics for the time being, since they dry much faster and allow for more spontaneity.

For some exercises:

-Get a large canvas (or wood panel) that you're comfortable with (and can afford). Get everything set up for painting. Set up some speakers or put on some headphones, pick an album you really like, something that really gets your emotions flaring and start listening to it. Start painting. Paint the colors that the song inspires in you, or any images that you see. Try to paint with colors and shading instead of hard edges. As the songs shift--and presumably your mood--shift your concentration on painting those ideas.

-Purchase some "canvas paper", a sketch tote board, and some painting tape. Take your paint set outside and do some still life exercises, using the paint directly instead of using any pre-sketches.

-Try painting like Yayoi Kusama

-Try painting like William de Kooning

-Since you like the Bob Ross thing, maybe try to follow along with an episode of Forger's Masterclass, which is basically "competitive" Bob Ross. Easy episodes to try and emulate are Edward Hopper, Van Gogh, and Claude Monet (which would really help with the still life exercise I mentioned earlier)

Having a drink or two to loosen up is well and good--I like to sip on something when I paint--but I don't know if it's healthy advice. There are ways to loosen up without alcohol, and those are what you should be attempting, so as not to be reliant on it as a way of pursuing creativity.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thursday Next posted:

maybe I should give up if that’s where I’m starting.

That's the only wrong answer!

For me, having a load of cheap materials helps - I get all prissy and save good supplies for 'when I'm doing something good' (ie, never), cheap supplies let me be a lot freer to piss about and experiment.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Edward Mass posted:

Can someone help me with an audio project I'm working on? I'm trying to do my own plunderphonics, but I can't time everything down. I have almost all the samples I need.

Maybe, what's the problem?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Synthbuttrange posted:

What about pasting into a notepad then copying out of that?

no. Adobe and Apple aren't talking to each other, again. Apparently.

I've found the worst workarounds but this is so frustrating (like, even making a signature for Mail - it should just be a PNG but noooooo let's parse that down and alter the size and resolution and embed...)

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Maybe switch to acrylics for the time being, since they dry much faster and allow for more spontaneity.

For some exercises:

-Get a large canvas (or wood panel) that you're comfortable with (and can afford). Get everything set up for painting. Set up some speakers or put on some headphones, pick an album you really like, something that really gets your emotions flaring and start listening to it. Start painting. Paint the colors that the song inspires in you, or any images that you see. Try to paint with colors and shading instead of hard edges. As the songs shift--and presumably your mood--shift your concentration on painting those ideas.

-Purchase some "canvas paper", a sketch tote board, and some painting tape. Take your paint set outside and do some still life exercises, using the paint directly instead of using any pre-sketches.

-Try painting like Yayoi Kusama

-Try painting like William de Kooning

-Since you like the Bob Ross thing, maybe try to follow along with an episode of Forger's Masterclass, which is basically "competitive" Bob Ross. Easy episodes to try and emulate are Edward Hopper, Van Gogh, and Claude Monet (which would really help with the still life exercise I mentioned earlier)

Having a drink or two to loosen up is well and good--I like to sip on something when I paint--but I don't know if it's healthy advice. There are ways to loosen up without alcohol, and those are what you should be attempting, so as not to be reliant on it as a way of pursuing creativity.

This is fantastic advice, thank you so much. I feel like a blind woman groping for a power outlet - I just didn’t know where to start. But now I have an idea at least and I can start there.

For what it’s worth, I don’t know if I like The Bob Aesthetic - but when I paint, he is literally the only how-to reference I have (I have seen many paintings but I don’t know how they were made). I used to draw, and still paint, like the engineer I was: this is the outline, this is the color. Bob Ross is that way; it looks “nice” in a hotel-art kind of way. It’s just that when I try to ~free my mind~ I get a mush of brown.

Gonna take your advice, though, all of it. And I’ll take pictures of each bad canvasboard (?) I ruin. I enjoy this hobby. And I shouldn’t look a gift horse of ~$1800 of old oils in the face.

Thank you goon.

Edit: few more quick questions that are likely stupid, but that’s what this thread is for!

Will my brushes (cheapest not-watercolor poo poo I could buy) work with acrylics?
Can I use the same brush for acrylics as I would for oils?
Does canvasboard work with acrylics? Do I need to prep it any way?

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Thursday Next posted:

This is fantastic advice, thank you so much. I feel like a blind woman groping for a power outlet - I just didn’t know where to start. But now I have an idea at least and I can start there.

For what it’s worth, I don’t know if I like The Bob Aesthetic - but when I paint, he is literally the only how-to reference I have (I have seen many paintings but I don’t know how they were made). I used to draw, and still paint, like the engineer I was: this is the outline, this is the color. Bob Ross is that way; it looks “nice” in a hotel-art kind of way. It’s just that when I try to ~free my mind~ I get a mush of brown.

Gonna take your advice, though, all of it. And I’ll take pictures of each bad canvasboard (?) I ruin. I enjoy this hobby. And I shouldn’t look a gift horse of ~$1800 of old oils in the face.

Thank you goon.

Edit: few more quick questions that are likely stupid, but that’s what this thread is for!

Will my brushes (cheapest not-watercolor poo poo I could buy) work with acrylics?
Can I use the same brush for acrylics as I would for oils?
Does canvasboard work with acrylics? Do I need to prep it any way?

Technically yes, they'll work with acrylics. You want to have separate brushes for oils and acrylics. Typically oil brushes are natural bristles and acrylics are synthetic bristles. You can use synthetic bristles with oils, but natural bristles and acrylics don't really play nice. I assume these are probably synthetic brushes. As long as you're fastidious about cleaning your brushes you can generally use them with either paint. That said, acrylics start to film super fast and it's really easy to gently caress up your brushes if you're not careful. Even a drying retarder only pushes it up to around an extra 20-30 mins. Just try to keep paint out of the ferrule and keep em clean and you'll be fine.

I personally have 3 different sets of brushes. My oil set, an acrylic set, and a set for water-based media. Since you're still just playing around I wouldn't recommend dropping the $$$ on more brushes until you're comfortable and confident in the medium.