Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I struggled for like ten minutes to google it without finding out the term was "visualizer," god drat thank you so much

I have no idea how you'd overlay it on a Twitch stream because i'm not a streamer but do you want to look like an evil talking AI from an early 2000s science fiction movie? Because I made this a while ago and I'm still not sure what to do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG1bF_MBtlM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there a way to upres art that's better than waifu2x? Bit of a story, I got these DDR dance pads for my son's birthday (but I'll also be using them, otherwise I wouldn't have spent so much), but figured I could get custom arrows for him in the Friday Night Funkin style since it's basically DDR anyway and he loves that game. But the original arrows aren't terribly high res, maybe not great for printing out into resin or whatever. I tried the waifu2x upscalers I found with a quick google search, they do an okay job, but I'm wondering if there's a better option (it's probably okay if it costs money as long as it's not exorbitant).

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Cicero posted:

Is there a way to upres art that's better than waifu2x? Bit of a story, I got these DDR dance pads for my son's birthday (but I'll also be using them, otherwise I wouldn't have spent so much), but figured I could get custom arrows for him in the Friday Night Funkin style since it's basically DDR anyway and he loves that game. But the original arrows aren't terribly high res, maybe not great for printing out into resin or whatever. I tried the waifu2x upscalers I found with a quick google search, they do an okay job, but I'm wondering if there's a better option (it's probably okay if it costs money as long as it's not exorbitant).

You could probably get a Goon to whip them up in Illustrator pretty cheap. I'd post a wanted ad.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Cicero posted:

What source image are you using? The file from the web game is pretty big and looks ok after going through wifu2x.

Or you could just trace over them in a vector editing app.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Good ideas, I'll see how hard it would be to trace, and if that doesn't work or I suck too much I'll see about paying for something. Thanks!

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Okay, here’s a dumb grammar question: I’ve been taught my whole life that there should generally be a comma before ‘too’. Now I find out (while copy editing my book) that the comma is not needed? Example: ‘He likes hot dogs, too’ should be ‘He likes hot dogs too.’

Every grammar reference I checked says it shouldn’t be there. It looks so wrong to me when I take it out, but my sense of the rules for commas does seem to agree that it shouldn’t be there. I’m worried readers might expect the comma even if it’s incorrect.

What do you think?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The comma to me implies a small pause in speaking.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

VelociBacon posted:

The comma to me implies a small pause in speaking.

this, but I'm also a firm believer in writing it how it should be read, rules be damned

(it's still good to know and understand the rules, as there's a reason rules exist to begin with, but unless you're doing a research paper or something I wouldn't sweat whether the comma is "correct" or not)

say it out loud and if you don't hear the comma, leave it out

AFistfulOfBitcoins
Feb 11, 2014
Hi all, got a question on perspective here. Here's a quickly drawn diagram which will hopefully illustrate my question:

Assuming we are looking at a sphere and the eye level is at the equator (the purple line) I am wondering if there is any rule I can follow to correctly divide the sphere into 4 equal sections from top to bottom. In my mind it makes sense that as one laitude line (represented by the blue line) moves from the very centre of the ball (represented by the red line if we were looking at it head on) to the right, then the next line (orange line) would move from the very left of the sphere from our perspective by the same degree, so that when that line reaches the centre the original one would be the same as the outline. Figuring this, it makes me think that to correctly draw a latitude line at 90 degrees from the other, it would mean that you could draw these lines at any point and where they intersect at the equator, the distance from b to a is the same as c to d. Is this correct?

To give some context, im working through andrew loomis' Drawing the Head and Hands which has you draw the head by first drawing a sphere and making two perpendicular lines from top to bottom, one the centre line of the face and the other to mark where the ears go. Then the 'equator' line becomes the brow line. The problem is when I follow my little rule above it doesnt seem to give me the correct spacing. In his method you 'slice off' a small amount of the sphere on each side whre the ears go but when I do, I feel like the face I draw is too narrow and just doesnt seem right.

To clarify a bit, I am drawing a face in which the eye level is directly on the brow line, so the 'equator' should appear as a straight line (I think)

So I suppose I have a couple questions here!
1. Is my formula for drawing latitude lines on a circle correct?
2. If not, is there a general rule or formula I can follow?
3. If anyone is familiar with the loomis method, any hints or tips? He clearly could draw heads very well but I feel like the book is a bit light on explanation and leaves you to figure a lot out on your own.

Im not sure how well i've explained this (perspective and its rules make my head go woozy) so I can try and clarify if anything i've said doesnt make sense, ty all!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

AFistfulOfBitcoins posted:

So I suppose I have a couple questions here!
1. Is my formula for drawing latitude lines on a circle correct?
2. If not, is there a general rule or formula I can follow?
3. If anyone is familiar with the loomis method, any hints or tips? He clearly could draw heads very well but I feel like the book is a bit light on explanation and leaves you to figure a lot out on your own.

1) No, the rate at which the lines would appear to move as they move from one end to the other is sinusoidal, so the apparent speed at which the line moves across the surface decreases as it approaches the sides. It's a form of foreshortening.
2) You're thinking about it too hard. If it doesn't feel right, figure out why it doesn't then compensate until it does.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

newts posted:

Okay, here’s a dumb grammar question: I’ve been taught my whole life that there should generally be a comma before ‘too’. Now I find out (while copy editing my book) that the comma is not needed? Example: ‘He likes hot dogs, too’ should be ‘He likes hot dogs too.’

Every grammar reference I checked says it shouldn’t be there. It looks so wrong to me when I take it out, but my sense of the rules for commas does seem to agree that it shouldn’t be there. I’m worried readers might expect the comma even if it’s incorrect.

What do you think?

Unofficially, I read the first sentence as he likes hot dogs in addition to or relating to something else, ("He's a good catch - talented, smart, and he likes hot dogs, too!") The second I read like he enjoys them just like someone else. ("Oh, you like hot dogs? He likes hot dogs too!")

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

Unofficially, I read the first sentence as he likes hot dogs in addition to or relating to something else, ("He's a good catch - talented, smart, and he likes hot dogs, too!") The second I read like he enjoys them just like someone else. ("Oh, you like hot dogs? He likes hot dogs too!")

You’ve thrown a new wrench into the machine :argh: I agree, though, that this is the rule I’ve been following subconsciously for a while. Like all grammar ‘rules’ there’s way too much nuance.

AFistfulOfBitcoins
Feb 11, 2014

dupersaurus posted:

1) No, the rate at which the lines would appear to move as they move from one end to the other is sinusoidal, so the apparent speed at which the line moves across the surface decreases as it approaches the sides. It's a form of foreshortening.
2) You're thinking about it too hard. If it doesn't feel right, figure out why it doesn't then compensate until it does.

Thanks! you're right I was thinking about it too hard, framing it as a form of foreshortening had it suddenly make sense, so tyvm! In my defence reading Perspective Made Easy only made me realise how much you do have to think about perspective.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
I’m trying to find a website that like’s a catalogue / wiki / database of popular visual arts and/or graphic design trends. The pages were something like: “synth wave”, popular from early to mid 2010s, with image examples, a description of the style and maybe a brief history.

I first saw it off SA, so hoping someone here knows what I’m talking about.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

This one?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If I wanted to commission a piece of "concept art" in a style like the ones in this tweet, does anyone know of artists taking commissions who do work like this?

https://twitter.com/game_obscure/status/1454470763986055170

And can someone ballpark roughly how much labor a creation like that is? 20 hours? 60?

The goal would be to get a cool splash art for my game, like of a naval warship fighting a flying superweapon. It wouldn't really be concept art, because I have the game already, of course. But, like, imagine this but with better composition, detail, and rendering:

EDIT: so to be clear, I'd be looking for an artist who does "painting"-type art, large-format, with lots of experience with depicting machinery and ideally explosions.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 1, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m going to get my nephew, who likes to draw, a small Wacom for his Chromebook. Could anyone point me to something similar to Procreate? He’s still a kid so easy to use and cheap would be nice.

I’ve been on an iPad Pro for years now and I’m out of the loop of any other kind of software.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I wanted to commission a piece of "concept art" in a style like the ones in this tweet, does anyone know of artists taking commissions who do work like this?

And can someone ballpark roughly how much labor a creation like that is? 20 hours? 60?

The goal would be to get a cool splash art for my game, like of a naval warship fighting a flying superweapon. It wouldn't really be concept art, because I have the game already, of course. But, like, imagine this but with better composition, detail, and rendering:

EDIT: so to be clear, I'd be looking for an artist who does "painting"-type art, large-format, with lots of experience with depicting machinery and ideally explosions.

The highest end I've heard of for external contract concept art at AAA studios is something like $50,000 an image. I only mention because that one's Valve, so they probably went top dollar for that concept art. And I mis-read your post and thought you were asking how much that costs and not looking for concept artists, and I can't delete posts.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't know how much these artists would charge or if they would have time but I'd contact:

Seb McKinnon https://www.sebmckinnon.com/illustration

Hoodass on IG.

Syd Mead https://sydmead.com/gallery/

Anna Mill https://www.directoryofillustration.com/artist.aspx?AID=14543

They could do this kind of thing but are maybe too big for it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know how much these artists would charge or if they would have time but I'd contact:

Seb McKinnon https://www.sebmckinnon.com/illustration

Hoodass on IG.

Syd Mead https://sydmead.com/gallery/

Anna Mill https://www.directoryofillustration.com/artist.aspx?AID=14543

They could do this kind of thing but are maybe too big for it

Thank you! I'll take a look, hopefully at least one of 'em is in my price range.

Chainclaw posted:

The highest end I've heard of for external contract concept art at AAA studios is something like $50,000 an image. I only mention because that one's Valve, so they probably went top dollar for that concept art. And I mis-read your post and thought you were asking how much that costs and not looking for concept artists, and I can't delete posts.

Haha, yeah, that's juuuust a little too rich for my blood :v: Thanks for the perspective!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Syd Mead would be incredibly, eye-wateringly expensive, even more so because he'd have to be resurrected first.

I bet zombie Syd Mead would produce some amazing stuff though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thank you! I'll take a look, hopefully at least one of 'em is in my price range.

Honestly I kind of doubt that they would be but I'm super happy to be proven wrong. I would try SA mart or google 'dystopic illustrators' or 'cyberpunk illustrators' for the vibe you're looking for.

E: Oh man I didn't know Syd Mead was dead. Lymphoma in 2019.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I would start in the hundreds as an offer if they don't give you a ballpark, but yeah just troll through artist websites like deviantartart or maybe fiverr and send them a pm. Being paid to make art is the job, the only thing for you to do is be polite and realistic about asking and paying for it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I found a decently competent artist who was advertising commissions for $50 apiece, for pieces that must have taken them at least 10 hours to do :smith: I offered $200 as a minimum or they can pick an hourly rate; we'll see what they come back with.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

SWEET-JESUS.GIF

Holy poo poo thank you for linking him. I am buying some of his prints immediately! :swoon:

Yeah, I found a decently competent artist who was advertising commissions for $50 apiece, for pieces that must have taken them at least 10 hours to do :smith: I offered $200 as a minimum or they can pick an hourly rate; we'll see what they come back with.

Care to share? (you can PM if you don't want to post publically)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

SWEET-JESUS.GIF

Holy poo poo thank you for linking him. I am buying some of his prints immediately! :swoon:

Yeah I love him also. Keep an eye on his twitter - he's a magic: the gathering artist (most of that art on the page is from this) and he does occasional runs of large playmats or larger-than-normal signed prints.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Care to share? (you can PM if you don't want to post publically)

https://twitter.com/ShinuGames/status/1455971206474223616

I managed to convince them to take $200 (they tried to haggle me down to $100 :negative:), and so far they've been very responsive and communicative. Am I going to get the kind of painterly quality that VelociBacon's artists could? No. But I think it'll still be a professional-quality piece that will come in handy for promoting the game.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm somewhat ambidextrous, however my left hand is my dominant hand.
For example, I play stringed instruments like guitar or bass the 'normal' right handed way, but play drums left handed, with the kit mirrored to what a majority of drummers would have.
Here's the thing- I use a mouse with my right hand, but the natural feeling way for me to use a drawing tablet is with my left hand as that's how I would normally write or draw, and I'm really struggling to find a decent place to put my recently purchased tablet (Wacom Intuos S, went for the pretty Pistachio colour cos all my stuff is normally black, but that doesn't impact functionality).
Currently I have it in front of my keyboard, central to the screen, but this doesn't feel right for some reason, and I have to disengage creative brain for keyboard shortcuts because I'm using my right hand all of a sudden to do stuff I have done with my left automatically for like, 20+ years.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Any pointers? I often feel like I'm missing a hand suddenly :aaaaa:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wouldn't keyboard in the middle, mouse on the right and tablet on the left be the most obvious setup for that?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
On a logical level it does, but it means I'm often having to put the pen down to do kb+m stuff and it loses my flow a bit.
I did actually initially go gently caress it and try drawing on the tablet with my right hand and treat it like its a mouse but that's not quite right either, and means I lose/don't gain any transferable skills from using physical mediums.
It's not so much the hand/eye issues that most people initially struggle with that's tripping me (not to say it doesn't!), but the ancillary stuff like key commands which are pretty important to a decent workflow- I rely on them a lot in any creative software I use, whether it's images or music, and particularly when say, photoshop, doesn't let you resize certain GUI elements for easier stabbing at with a pen I definitely prefer to use keys.
I've tweaked my tablet hotkeys a little so for example I now have undo directly mapped to it. Maybe I should look into those a bit more

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Remap your hotkeys so they're all easily reachable with only your right hand? They also sell smaller macro pad type things that you can use with just your right hand while you draw with your left.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is there a, like, "beginner's guide to cinematic cameras" that someone could recommend? The context is that I'm working on cinematics for my game. I'm looking really for something pretty short that lays out stuff like how to frame things so that the viewer doesn't get lost when you cut from camera A to camera B, what kinds of camera motion/rotation/zooming are appropriate, and of course any basics that I'm too uneducated to know to ask about.

So far all of my cinematics have been pretty basic, with the camera having minimal movement and mostly just tracking between points of interest, maybe with a zoom in/out. But I'm working on a cinematic that has three distinct shots, and I'm struggling a bit to compose them together properly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is there a, like, "beginner's guide to cinematic cameras" that someone could recommend? The context is that I'm working on cinematics for my game. I'm looking really for something pretty short that lays out stuff like how to frame things so that the viewer doesn't get lost when you cut from camera A to camera B, what kinds of camera motion/rotation/zooming are appropriate, and of course any basics that I'm too uneducated to know to ask about.

So far all of my cinematics have been pretty basic, with the camera having minimal movement and mostly just tracking between points of interest, maybe with a zoom in/out. But I'm working on a cinematic that has three distinct shots, and I'm struggling a bit to compose them together properly.

https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/ultimate-guide-to-camera-shots/
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/film-studies-101-camera-shots-styles/
https://www.adorama.com/alc/14-basic-cinematography-techniques-for-better-cinematic-shots/
https://www.seenit.io/film-school/6-basic-camera-movements-and-why-they-matter/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thank you!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What non-digital technique was used to create this?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

theHUNGERian posted:

Not sure but the vibrant colors and the shapes remind me of some of the stuff you can get with alcohol inks on yupo(plastic) paper.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

JuniperCake posted:

Not sure but the vibrant colors and the shapes remind me of some of the stuff you can get with alcohol inks on yupo(plastic) paper.

Yeah, that looks close enough, if not spot on. Thanks!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

Looks like paint in water or on waterproof paper.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

theHUNGERian posted:

It looks like they took a photo of marbling something in a black tray to me.

Randomly googled video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_laLzd9URw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

It looks like they took a photo of marbling something in a black tray to me.

Randomly googled video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_laLzd9URw

Thanks.

The video reminds me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMJk4y9NGvE