Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How to make halftone like this:

Its like squares. I've played with the PS halftone filter and also 'bitmap' halftone conversion settings but nothing is coming close.

edit: sorry screen cap is not 1:1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shaocaholica posted:

How to make halftone like this:

Its like squares. I've played with the PS halftone filter and also 'bitmap' halftone conversion settings but nothing is coming close.

edit: sorry screen cap is not 1:1

i'm sure there's prob some automatic methods in csp or whatnot but here's photoshop magic to just do it yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehZ9kMDZD0

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Futaba Anzu posted:

i'm sure there's prob some automatic methods in csp or whatnot but here's photoshop magic to just do it yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehZ9kMDZD0

Thanks. This was more involved than I had originally thought but cool trick to know.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 7, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is this the thread where I ask if there is an SA thread about GIMP (free photo editing software)? As in, I'm an idiot using it for the first time and cannot find a good tutorial video for what I want to do via googling so I want to ask goons to point me in the right direction?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 17, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is this the thread where I ask if there is an SA thread about GIMP? As in, I'm an idiot using it for the first time and cannot find a good tutorial video for what I want to do via googling so I want to ask goons to point me in the right direction?

This might be a better thread to ask.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tunicate posted:

This might be a better thread to ask.
lol, no thats definitely not the thread I'm looking for.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I’ve clicked around the forums. I’ve become obsessed with dangly earrings and cute jewelry in general. I would love to support some goons, is there a place to ‘post your Etsy’ or anything? I didn’t want to create a thread because, well, I am NOT creative, nor do I have an Etsy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MussoliniB posted:

I’ve clicked around the forums. I’ve become obsessed with dangly earrings and cute jewelry in general. I would love to support some goons, is there a place to ‘post your Etsy’ or anything? I didn’t want to create a thread because, well, I am NOT creative, nor do I have an Etsy.

You might check the jewelry megathread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3894756

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Is there a thread like the Fiction Writing Advice thread, but for non-fiction? I'd like to be able to give and receive feedback on blog posts before I promote them to a wider audience. I don't want to jump in the fiction thread with my boring rear end career advice article.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Not that I'm aware, feel free to make one! Though there might be a goons who blog thread, I seem to recall seeing one a while back

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

MussoliniB posted:

In regards to this wasn't there a "show me your etsy" thread someplace on the forums? I can't remember if it was here, in DIY and Hobbies, or SAmart. Don't know how old it is now either.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Since a couple of updates ago, Illustrator CC is displaying everything in CMYK rather than RGB. The document color is always RGB, and that's the default on startup. I can't even force it to show RGB colors. Most of the documents I build are for dye-sublimation, so they're all in RGB.

I convert design proofs into PNG to send to the customer, and they display properly in RGB. Everything is RGB start to finish, it's just that Illustrator always displays CMYK colors.

MacOS, latest version, if that matters.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 19, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

edit: nm

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 21, 2022

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Hello stupid questions thread:

I'm wondering if SA has a better answer than Google as to what format one should submit a manuscript to prospective publishers (that yes I know will reject it or pay me pennies).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bright Bart posted:

Hello stupid questions thread:

I'm wondering if SA has a better answer than Google as to what format one should submit a manuscript to prospective publishers (that yes I know will reject it or pay me pennies).

It depends. Is it a novel or a story?

Most publishers will have something on their submissions page as to what format they expect. ALWAYS USE WHAT THEY SAY, EVEN IF IT SEEMS ODD. Publishers won’t even read something that isn’t formatted how they want.

For short stories, you can’t go wrong with this standard format (again, unless otherwise specified).

https://www.shunn.net/format/classic/

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Doctor Zero posted:

It depends. Is it a novel or a story?

Most publishers will have something on their submissions page as to what format they expect. ALWAYS USE WHAT THEY SAY, EVEN IF IT SEEMS ODD. Publishers won’t even read something that isn’t formatted how they want.

For short stories, you can’t go wrong with this standard format (again, unless otherwise specified).

https://www.shunn.net/format/classic/

Memoir in the vein of This Is Going To Hurt. Funny medical stories (with them seemingly hot right now being the only reason I am even looking to pitch).

And thank you! My prior writing experience has been academic so I know to stick to a format if it's given even if it melts your brain. The short story one is useful.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm attempting to get into writing about my interests- what little I've done has been appreciated, and my journalist friends keep encouraging me to write more

I'm also not sure where to get started, and not even sure if I can get started until I have a fixed address again (liminally homeless, currently living in my fourth temporary safe/warm room since summer, and I'm not sure when I'm going to have to find a fifth place)- this life is exhausting. Everywhere I've lived has been a temporary situation and I can't settle into a home. However, I want to be on the right track when things improve.

I've gotten some attention and engagement by sparsely live-tweeting an Ultima 7 playthru- what I envision are live-ish tweets accompanied by longer form articles on medium or substack or something.

My goals from most important to least are:
-to have a good time sharing things I like to do with whoever is interested in reading about em
-build a corpus of work I can show off in order to get writing gigs
-possibly earn some money via Patreon or ko-fi or whatever (money is actually v important but I don't see this replacing a job anytime soon)

I have big problems performing linear tasks- it's why I like writing about things so much, editing is a complex task that feels very good when I finally get the piece working how I like. But figuring out how to do anything with it, where to put it, how to get people to look at it- that's just been blindly firing stuff off into the dark and seeing what people like- as in the U7 playthru, where a very dedicated decades-old fanbase started retweeting my stuff (Iolo himself commented!)

To clarify: I'm not really asking solely 'how do I do this', I can take some p good educated guesses- I'm asking for more specific steps tailored to a mind that's dogshit at linear, procedural thinking- 'how do I do this exactly while also having a brain problem that went untreated until a couple years ago also I'm homeless'. I would have thought, a year ago, 'oh that's easy all you need is a keyboard and an internet connection' but it's more essential than I thought to have a stable working environment, especially as I'm pushing 40

thanks to all for this resource, btw

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have recs for high end bypass paper trimmers? My fiskar self-sharpening clearly isn’t so I’m looking at Dahle or Rotatrim. This is for cardstock and photo paper, usually not more than 2 sheets at a time.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I've got a glass drafting table and I'm trying to cut down on my blue tape indulgence. Thought it'd be a lot better to get a set of magnets and use those, attaching them underneath and on top to hold paper in place instead. Don't suppose anyone here's tried that, or knows of a place to buy strong but possibly felted magnets for that task?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I've been contacted on Instagram by an art gallery that wants to feature my art in their next expo. The catch: If you want to participate, you gotta pay. €250 for one image, €500 for three. Is this a known scam? I tried researching the contact as well as the gallery itself, but didn't find any outright signs that point to scam. I mean I do digital stuff, and they present digital stuff, so it kinda fits. :shrug:
This is their website https://www.madsgallery.art/.

e: I've started reading up on "Vanity Galleries". Aha, so that's what this is. Interesting. Maybe I'll start my own. Goons are welcome for 25$ special nice price.

busalover fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 5, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah, I've just been slapping semirelevant hash tags on my instagram and have gotten a few comments that were something like "dm us this image and we'll feature it on our Insta that has 3 million followers!" or some poo poo. I just assumed they were all come ons and ignored them.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
One more thing, they mentioned that I should attach a price to my paintings, in case there's a buyer. I said I have no clue how to price digital art, and was curious how that is done.

This is the reply:

quote:

Regarding the price od the works, since the sales are private, you can choose the price you want. There is a kind of formula that many emergent artists use, but it is really subjective.. it is:
(Base+height) x coefficient (for emergent artists is generally 0.3) x 10

Ah, yes. It's like buying a sausage, but you gotta be careful with that coefficient.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

busalover posted:

I've been contacted on Instagram by an art gallery that wants to feature my art in their next expo. The catch: If you want to participate, you gotta pay. €250 for one image, €500 for three. Is this a known scam? I tried researching the contact as well as the gallery itself, but didn't find any outright signs that point to scam. I mean I do digital stuff, and they present digital stuff, so it kinda fits. :shrug:
This is their website https://www.madsgallery.art/.

e: I've started reading up on "Vanity Galleries". Aha, so that's what this is. Interesting. Maybe I'll start my own. Goons are welcome for 25$ special nice price.

Anecdotal but I know a couple Philadelphia-based artists who finagled openings in NYC at small-time stuff like cafes and community centers whose stock immediately went up when buyers down here saw they were showing in NYC. So if it the company/gallery was LA or NYC based, I could see it as a way to jump start interest if you were the type who needed or wanted it but you have to be the type to shout, 'OH WHEN MY PIECE WAS SHOWN IN NEW YORK...." at every opportunity.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

busalover posted:

One more thing, they mentioned that I should attach a price to my paintings, in case there's a buyer. I said I have no clue how to price digital art, and was curious how that is done.

This is the reply:

Ah, yes. It's like buying a sausage, but you gotta be careful with that coefficient.
The correct formula is to price it based on hours of labor.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
E: wrong section

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Has anyone here been a vendor at a craft/makers market? How does that process work? Do you need to have an actual established business or can anyone be a vendor?

Also, how many pieces would someone need as a minimum to be a vendor?

I had a notion to sell some things at a Halloween market but I don't actually want to run a business

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

Has anyone here been a vendor at a craft/makers market? How does that process work? Do you need to have an actual established business or can anyone be a vendor?

I had a notion to sell some things at a Halloween market but I don't actually want to run a business

It really depends on the market, but many require a business license and some subset of those will require insurance. Fees can also vary quite a bit. I sell at a chill farmers market occasionally that is around $50 for a tent space but some of the big fairs/craft events are like $600 or more for a weekend.You’ll just need to check.

I’ve also sold in association with some event where there’s no front fee but the ask is a proportion of your sales (I’ve seen from 15% to 50%).

For the juried craft fairs you may have to submit photos of your stuff, so you’ll need some minimum number of designs (3-6 usually) but it will be up to you whether you have lots of copies of a few designs or many different unique pieces.

These things can be fun but they are a lot of work. And if you are outside for the love of god be prepared for wind.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Deadite posted:

The market is run by somebody, so you have to apply to them and they'll decide whether to accept you. Part of applying will be showing a selection of your wares.

The business part depends on the state, but the barrier is probably pretty low. I'm in NC and I had to register for a sales tax license, but it was no more complicated than giving over my tax info. There's more complicated ways of forming a business, but the pros and cons of that is mostly out of scope for "I want a booth at a market"

How much stuff (both in the sense of types of items and quantity of items) depends on what exactly you're selling and what the market is. If you make big expensive stuff you might only have a small amount of a few items, if you make small cheap stuff you probably want a big amount of lots of items. I'm a printmaker: I usually have a dozen-ish types of prints, and aim for 5-10 prints of each depending on how big and how popular... but that's also something I've honed over a few years of selling.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

The business part depends on the state, but the barrier is probably pretty low. I'm in NC and I had to register for a sales tax license, but it was no more complicated than giving over my tax info. There's more complicated ways of forming a business, but the pros and cons of that is mostly out of scope for "I want a booth at a market"

For me in California there was a state level Sales Permit/seller’s permit which was super easy as a “sole proprietor “ business with my name as the biz name. If you have a name other than your personal name you may need to file something for Doing Business As (DBA) to link the biz name to you , but that’s relatively easy too. At least in California it lasts for a long time so there’s no renewal paperwork, although I suppose filing sales tax is in effect keeping your permit current.

There was also a county level business license that some of the bigger places have wanted. This may be more Bay Area specific but I had to file something to be approved for a home business w/out employees or physical sales space for customers, and every year I have to send them my Schedule C to get the license fee waived since I don’t make much money from this.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Thanks, I didn't even think about needing a license, and I haven't even thought about how to accept payment.

This sounds like a lot of stuff to set up for something I just want to do once for fun, but at least I have all summer to figure it out.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You can definitely do it as a “hobby business” (technical term, I think maybe less than $500 in sales across a couple of events but don’t quote me on that). It’s definitely easier but it might preclude you from joining the bigger events. My wife joins me as an artist at most of our events that either don’t require permits or are casual enough they don’t mind both of us there under my one permit.

When I got started I got one of the “small business for dummies” books and my local Small Business Administration had free 1-on-1 consulting sessions which were also helpful.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

On a similar note, I've started to sell some of my art online and got a few sales (mostly from goons <3) and I have a pretty big collection built up, so I want to start submitting it to galleries and things like that. But pretty much every opportunity I'm finding requires a resume of professional art opportunities you've taken part in. Everything I've found that doesn't require some kind of established track record of being shown in professional settings/exhibits has heavy application fees or is straight up just buying a spot in a gallery or whatever. I've found some local galleries for instance where it would fit right in, but some of them have just straight up said they're only looking for artists with established professional careers :shrug:

Is there anything specific I should be looking for as a sort of entry-level professional art experience that won't cost $50+ just to apply? Or is this one of those cases where it's better to just like, spin up my own "creative installation" organization and do a cheap online gallery, spit out a press release about it, then claim that as my professional experience?

I can usually sell a few pieces when I get it in front of an audience but it's hard to get it in front of an audience without any "official" showings under my belt :smith:

e: I spent a decade working in ecommerce and I've been considering just seeing if I can get other artists to pool a bunch of artwork together and then organize/advertise a giant art "rummage sale" or something online, with the marketing push being something about idk non-fungible but not tokens or some laff at NFTs, maybe I could organize something like that and that would work

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 12, 2022

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I do 2-3 juried outdoor art fairs with the tent and all that business per year, so if anyone wants to know more about that, lmk. I started off doing local markets, but quickly found they are not my audience - especially when it comes to selling originals. I have sat 8 hours to make $5 AMA!

Peat Moss, as far as growing a CV without a lot of jury/gallery fees - I can think of a couple things. Look into local/ regional government and public buildings with display spaces. I know my city has 2 spaces they let local artists show in free of charge. Join any local artists groups if you have them to get in on group shows. Look for restaurants, cafes, small gift shops who feature local artists on their walls and ask how to be included. Network with artists near you to find inexpensive show opportunities.

Don’t fake anything. I don’t know where you are, but I feel like the arts community where I am would sniff that out pretty easily. It’s a small art world and we all know of each other. Fostering relationships with other artists and gallery owners would be a good idea. Go to openings and shows and introduce yourself and get involved.

Im not a full time artist, but the people I know who are hustle their asses off. They help run galleries, teach, do art consulting, etc in addition to selling art. The common denominator is they all are super involved in the art community here.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I’m trying to find a word that means, “lots of diverse events happening, where simultaneity is not necessarily a factor.” I’m recording some music, and I often think if this, but I feel that it is fitting for this one. All I can think of is “voilà”, but I don’t even think that is fitting for this case.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Happening, jamboree, saturnalia.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If the timing isn't chaotic/random - rhythmic displacement
if it's sort of just chaos - anharmonic or dissonant

Thanks! I don't have easy transportation around my city and it's frustrating how much of the process is essentially "go to places and see if they have art/ask them to show yours", things like reliably getting to somewhere to teach a class aren't worth it for me because it ends up being a 2+ hour bus ride each way to go ~15 miles and everything is at least that far away. I guess I'm better off just letting art be a hobby :sweatdrop:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 16, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is it supposed to sound good? If not,

Discordant
Anhedonic
Cacophonous

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
What about scattershot, haphazard, multifaceted?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Spermando posted:

Happening, jamboree, saturnalia.

Thank you.

VelociBacon posted:

Is it supposed to sound good? If not,

Discordant
Anhedonic
Cacophonous

These are good too. Nope, it doesn’t have to sound good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Mac OS, using Adobe CC:

Photoshop tools are all a part of the main application window; if I drag the PS window around, the tools all stay attached to it. But Illustrator keeps the tools separate from the main application window, so when I switch from the external monitor to the laptop screen —or vice-versa— I have to manually rearrange everything. In PS, all I have to do is hit the maximize button and everything is in its place.

Is there an option in Preferences I'm missing, or are they just different that way?