Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Rusty Bodega posted:

Anyone work from home full-time and find it difficult to get motivated from time to time? I landed my dream job working from home (flying out to sites every few times a month), but sometimes it's just difficult to get started on something. It feels different than freelance, because at least in freelance I was working from job to job in order to pay bills. Now I have a steady income and it feels much different this time (plus it's hard to dissociate work and home since I have a 1 bedroom apartment that I share with the girlfriend.)

Give yourself some time away from the job every day. I try to make a point of getting away from the computer during lunch break; go outside, do some chores, do some exercises, etc. And on top of that get up and move around a bit for 5-10 minutes every hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

For some people it's just a bad mix too. Like you might need to make sure you work out of a room that is really kind of cut off from the rest of your house or even try just Starbucks-ing a little.

My productivity goes to poo poo when I work from home because I find every excuse to get up for 'just a second'.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
You've probably heard all this before since you were freelancing earlier, but:

• Keep a regular schedule
  • Wear clothes while you work
  • Schedule breaks
  • Do whatever work you can outside of your studio apartment

I've had good success with the pomodoro technique, which breaks each hour into work and break times - you work on a timer and get a lot of little breaks over the day, rather than one or two big ones. Overall it's really tough, but you can train yourself to be a better unsupervised worker - it just takes some time and determination.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Does anyone suffer from carpal tunnel or something similar?

I developed carpal tunnel like symptoms over a week ago, and after 8 hours in the hospital from my hand being swollen all day and having pain with gripping, I was told my blood work and CT scan was normal. I'm awaiting a call from the neurology department.

The times when both hands became swollen, numb and painful were when I was working at my desk at my part time graphic design job. After only an hour and a half of working on Wednesday, I had to tell my boss that I couldn't come back to work until I had a diagnosis and a fix for my symptoms. It was distracting, uncomfortable and slowing me down too much to keep working.

Does anyone have a good ergonomic setup that helps with these symptoms? I've found that working on my laptop with my tablet on my couch is more comfortable and doesn't seem to flare up my symptoms like working at the desk did.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Aside from wrist braces, this allows you to keep doing basic stuff, allegedly

https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/990306915233169413

I’d try a physical therapist, in case they can help relieve some of the problem.

Definitely take a break from everything and take the time to recover.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ufarn posted:

Aside from wrist braces, this allows you to keep doing basic stuff, allegedly

https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/990306915233169413

I’d try a physical therapist, in case they can help relieve some of the problem.

Definitely take a break from everything and take the time to recover.

Thanks! I have definitey been trying to take it easy, despite really wanting to do spring yardwork. I'm just sitting around waiting for the neurology department to call.

I only have one client project that I've been working on that's on hold, but I may be able to get back to it soon.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

kt tape does nothing beyond placebo tho

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i'm too fat to paint

gmc9987 posted:

You've probably heard all this before since you were freelancing earlier, but:

• Wear clothes while you work
you just ruined my life

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This is likely the wrong place to ask this, but I thought in the past I had seen a place where you could talk to creatively minded goons to potentially hire them for small projects and things. I have an idea for a small gift for my wife (one of those picture frame collages but with quotes from the songs she sings to our son each night rather than pictures) that would look 100x better with a graphic designer's touch but I'm not sure how to go about getting this, and not even sure if the timing (~1 week) is even feasible.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

This is likely the wrong place to ask this, but I thought in the past I had seen a place where you could talk to creatively minded goons to potentially hire them for small projects and things. I have an idea for a small gift for my wife (one of those picture frame collages but with quotes from the songs she sings to our son each night rather than pictures) that would look 100x better with a graphic designer's touch but I'm not sure how to go about getting this, and not even sure if the timing (~1 week) is even feasible.

SA-Mart thread is what you want to make.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I made a drawing that several friends said they'd like to have. I was thinking of getting prints made, but I have no idea how to go about it. It is 11x14 and has lots of black and saturated color. If I go to, say a FedEx store, can they make a nice copy? What do I ask for, and how much should I expect to pay?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

this broken hill posted:

you just ruined my life

Sorry. Getting dressed help put me in the mindset of "This is your job, take it seriously" but if you want to be naked or wear an old ratty pair of boxers or whatever I won't tell.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there a thread about wood carving on these forums? Not sure if I should buy cheapo chinese carving tools for 20 bucks, or mega-pricey ones for € 100. As a noob.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

mike12345 posted:

Is there a thread about wood carving on these forums? Not sure if I should buy cheapo chinese carving tools for 20 bucks, or mega-pricey ones for € 100. As a noob.

There is the Woodworking Megathread, but there's not too much carving going on there.

The pricey tools will be wonderful and will blow your mind and you'll wonder at how you ever used anything else. But don't go all-in on them until you know you want to do it. Get some cheap tools, use them, and :parrot:learn to keep them sharp:parrot:. Then as you get more experience with them, you'll figure out holes you have and what you need, and you can then start buying pro tools one-at-a-time to fill those holes. If you're in the states, Pfeil are the gold standard (I think).

Although looking in retrospect at my experience, early on good wood will be much more useful to you than good tools. Get thee to a specialty wood shop and find some quality basswood, not just what they sell in the local craft shop.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

dupersaurus posted:

Although looking in retrospect at my experience, early on good wood will be much more useful to you than good tools. Get thee to a specialty wood shop and find some quality basswood, not just what they sell in the local craft shop.

I thought about buying wood from people that just chopped down a tree, and advertise it on a local craigsliste-like. A couple of feet of basswood, so I can start carving my head/mask. Not a good idea/is there a lot of variability in quality?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

mike12345 posted:

I thought about buying wood from people that just chopped down a tree, and advertise it on a local craigsliste-like. A couple of feet of basswood, so I can start carving my head/mask. Not a good idea/is there a lot of variability in quality?

You might be better looking for people selling specifically for firewood, since usually you let wood sit for awhile (they say a year per inch of thickness) to let it dry out and shrink and warp and etc. That's not to say it wouldn't be workable, you may just have to live with cracks and knots. Either way you'll become very intimate with the vagaries of wood grain.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Adobe Illustrator Question:
(note: I am very new to this program so forgive me if my terminology is not accurate, I will try to describe everything to the best of my ability)
Backstory: One of my nephews is big into comics and has a birthday fairly soon. My sister and I were talking and she thought it'd be fun to throw a comic-themed party. So, I figured, as a learning project and to help out my family, it'd be fun to vectorize the DC "All Star Comics" logo (and yes I know Marvel is more popular in the theaters but he and his friends love the DC shows on CW so whatever) so she could put it on a poster or something for the party:

So, I watched a few youtube guides on how to convert that to an Illustrator vector image and ended up with a fairly good result, however there were some edges, mostly on the stars that didn't quite line up that were bugging me. For example (a zoom in on one of the stars):

Seems like it shouldn't be a big deal, I should just be able to move some anchor points, merge the paths/combine the objects, is what I thought. But when I tried to adjust/add anchor points, it seemed very glitchy, almost like I was trying to move the anchor points with an 8-direction dpad from a game controller:

https://i.imgur.com/M6BuvU8.mp4

It doesn't seem to be a problem with a key being held down or anything like that, since when I created a new Illustrator document and made a simple cube I could add and manipulate as many anchor points as I wanted to and the adjustments were very fluid. Anyone have any suggestions on what's going on?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 18, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You might have snapping on, OR the scale of the thing is incredibly tiny (which usually isnt a problem for vector programs, but at tiny tiny scales things get squirrely.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Synthbuttrange posted:

You might have snapping on

You are my hero :) As a new user I would have had no drat idea what the terminology was for this but 'Snap to Pixel' was on and after turning it off everything was totally smooth when moving the anchor points around. Time to get to work!

e: after a bit of joining segments, the smoothing tool, and live painting, I have created something that should work really well, and this was a great intro to Illustrator! Thank you again for your tip. I might do some more touchups but I'm pretty happy with the results for having used this program a total of a handful of hours:

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 17, 2018

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I don't really know where else to ask this question, which is sort of circular in its own way.

I'm working on a board game. It's not for any sale or anything, it's just a derpy DIY thing I'm trying to do. It's all based around these sort of constellation myths. I need about a hundred sort of capsule-sized myths. My girlfriend and I could just do this ourselves, but having others contribute would help give it a variance in theme and voice. But like, I'm not looking to pay anyone. It's just a thing. But then I thought, this could be a fun writing exercise, anyway. I thought maybe it would make a good thread, something like capsule sized myths, 256 characters or less, or something. I don't know. But I also don't want to hide the fact that I intend to use these for my own little project. Like, it feels sleazy, somehow, even thought I think it would make an interesting thread?

Help me out, guys, I have autism and don't understand nuance very well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Start the thread with that up front.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

credburn posted:

I don't really know where else to ask this question, which is sort of circular in its own way.

I'm working on a board game. It's not for any sale or anything, it's just a derpy DIY thing I'm trying to do. It's all based around these sort of constellation myths. I need about a hundred sort of capsule-sized myths. My girlfriend and I could just do this ourselves, but having others contribute would help give it a variance in theme and voice. But like, I'm not looking to pay anyone. It's just a thing. But then I thought, this could be a fun writing exercise, anyway. I thought maybe it would make a good thread, something like capsule sized myths, 256 characters or less, or something. I don't know. But I also don't want to hide the fact that I intend to use these for my own little project. Like, it feels sleazy, somehow, even thought I think it would make an interesting thread?

Start a thread and give some examples and I'm sure some people will pitch in.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

credburn posted:

Just be very clear that this is not intended for sale and that you have no intention of paying people, give some examples you wrote yourself, and as long as you're very clear about the non-payment and intended use anyone who contributes is doing it of their own free will.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

VelociBacon posted:

Start a thread and give some examples and I'm sure some people will pitch in.

Here is a myth generator...

http://www.chaoticshiny.com/mythgen.php

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Goons love to contribute to that nerdy stuff. You better post pictures of the finished thing though.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Does anybody have experience doing freelance work through sites such as upwork? Which ones are the best? Any tips to get the most out of it?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Does anybody have experience doing freelance work through sites such as upwork? Which ones are the best? Any tips to get the most out of it?

My advice: Don't do it.

On all of those sites (freelancer, upwork, elance, fiverr, 99designs) the main clients are people who want logo designs for their company for $50, 2-3 minute animated videos for sub-$100, and entire childrens' books for what works out to $2-$3 dollars per illustration. You'll be competing for work with people from places like India and Sri Lanka, who can afford to do work for those prices because of the difference in value between US dollars and the local currency. When I first started to do freelance work, I had memberships on all of those sites and after 2 years, I had only gotten 1 job from them - I just could not compete with the prices being offered by the more prolific designers on there. My wife had slightly better luck, but that was mainly because she is German and was able to search out job postings written in German by people who were not completely fluent in English.

These websites charge a fee for every job you take, and in addition force you to lower your rates to compete with the cheapest available option even if that's not feasible for the area you live in - you're much better off networking and finding clients semi-locally who can pay you what you're worth relative to the region you live in.

My caveat is that this is assuming you're living in the US or a similarly economically developed area. Obviously you have to make your own decision whether to go this route or not, but just be aware that these websites business models are based on taking more money off the top from the people who need it most (freelancers), while also forcing us all to devalue our work and compete against each other. It's possible to make a sort-of OK amount of money off of them if you can get good at finding clients and working fast, but you should be aware of how these companies are affecting how freelancers have to work in order to survive these days.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

gmc9987 posted:

My advice: Don't do it.

Seconding this entire post. The sites are a race to the bottom and are not worth your time. This cannot be stressed enough. If you want to freelance, your absolute best bets are:

A) to reach out to companies in your area that sell or need to buy whatever work you produce. If you're a designer, big design agencies are always overbooked and often need to pull in freelancers to get projects out the door. If you're an illustrator, again big design agencies often need specific work done for projects that they can't satisfy with stock alone. Smaller agencies can be good sources of work too, but they're less reliable in terms of quantity. Extremely feast and famine.

B) Tell everyone you can think of that you're freelancing, and ask them to refer work to you. This is what I did when I first started freelancing, and I was able to squeeze two years of work out of it before I needed to try option A. However the projects were a little less interesting and they all had lower budgets because people who hire a single designer as opposed to an agency tend have projects that fall into one of those categories. If I were to do it again, I'd reach out to agencies and friends/family/everyone I know at the same time.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the advice. I live in Mexico so it may be worth it anyway, I guess I can look into it and at worst I can choose not to do it. On the bright side I already have a full-time job so it's not like I'm going to starve either way.

I've already started reaching out to people but so far I haven't had much luck, just a couple of projects I found here in SA.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Thanks for the advice. I live in Mexico so it may be worth it anyway, I guess I can look into it and at worst I can choose not to do it. On the bright side I already have a full-time job so it's not like I'm going to starve either way.

I've already started reaching out to people but so far I haven't had much luck, just a couple of projects I found here in SA.

You might have better luck if you search for jobs in Spanish, that's how my wife found her customers. I don't know, do what you got to do to keep yourself fed but just be aware that despite their claims, these websites are 100% NOT there to help freelancers make a better living. Also in retrospect my time on those websites would have been way better spent working on my own projects or networking. Getting started freelancing takes time to build a client base but once you get it going it gets easier.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I figured they are not in it for the wellbeing of the freelancers, especially since their starting fees are pretty outrageous. I think I'll keep looking to expand my client base and leave those sites as a last option. Thanks!

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
what's upwork

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
nothing much what's up with you, work

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Basically, clients posts freelance jobs and anyone within the required discipline can pick it up. There are artists, writer, coders, animators and so on.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Illustrator: I have a single shape with a gradient. I want to split it into two shapes, but have the gradient stay the same in each shape, and not have the gradient "reset" in each shape" after the split. How do I do that?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I have some glow in the dark pigment. Just pigment. Specifically this. I cannot figure out how to airbrush this well.

It came with an acrylic base "Superbase" that is allegedly to thick to airbrush. In use, I did end up having to thin it substantially and not much pigment went on in one layer. Tests with Golden's Airbrush Medium and Liquitex's Matte medium didn't work great. I don't believe either have a binding agent?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lincoln posted:

Illustrator: I have a single shape with a gradient. I want to split it into two shapes, but have the gradient stay the same in each shape, and not have the gradient "reset" in each shape" after the split. How do I do that?

Not quite sure I follow, but if you have 2 shapes then select both, and fill with the gradient tool (drag that line across, adjust sliders as necessary) that should do it?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Lincoln posted:

• Draw a non-filled (stroke is OK, but fill should be empty) path where you want the shape to be split.
  • Select the shape and the path, go to the pathfinder window, click "divide."
  • The non-filled path should disappear, and the shape should be divided into two. The two new shapes will be grouped together, just ungroup them and move them wherever you want.

this broken hill posted:

nothing much what's up with you, work

:golfclap:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I thought we used to have an art history thread but couldn't find one. Is there somewhere I can throw some links to paintings and get a general idea of like the art movement they represent and where I might learn more about it? I feel like I know the faintest bit more than the average Joe, i.e. the faintest bit more than gently caress-all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I thought we used to have an art history thread but couldn't find one. Is there somewhere I can throw some links to paintings and get a general idea of like the art movement they represent and where I might learn more about it? I feel like I know the faintest bit more than the average Joe, i.e. the faintest bit more than gently caress-all.

I don't remember there being a thread for that but i'd love it if there was one, personally. That said i'd be interested in seeing these paintings, you could always put them in here and ask for now. There's a good number of people who check this thread and at least one of them is bound to know at least something about the painting/artist/etc in question.