Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

No that is bad stop it.

Look at a photo of mail. It doesn't look anything like that, because that solution completely ignores light and shadow.

vs

Look at the armpits especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the guy did it badly in the demonstration and took shortcuts in showing it off, but it's still a very useful usage of tools to do repeating patterns. you just have to be smarter at applying it than the tutorial

if anything, the bigger gaff with that technique is how it doesn't conform to the curvature of forms, there's a lot of mesh transforming that you'd need to do if you wanted things to look proper in that regard.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I am working on a little intro animation for a youtube channel. I haven't been in the audio sourcing game in quite a while, can anyone here recommend a good free/cheap royalty-free SFX website? I need to find a short stinger for the intro, and the budget for this project is very tiny so subscribing to one of the larger SFX/music licensing websites isn't an option right now; I mainly just want something inexpensive or free that I can legally use.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I've just gotten my first drawing tablet and need good brushes to work with. I'd prefer stuff that just makes lines look more "natural" or like they were drawn with an actual pen, but don't know where to look. I can use photoshop or GIMP.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The Skeleton King posted:

I've just gotten my first drawing tablet and need good brushes to work with. I'd prefer stuff that just makes lines look more "natural" or like they were drawn with an actual pen, but don't know where to look. I can use photoshop or GIMP.

Photoshop actually comes with some good brushes these days but I always really liked the Frenden brush packs. And if you haven’t bought a drawing app yet I recommend Clip Studio/Manga Studio or whatever it’s called

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

If you have a CC subscription, Kyle's Brushes are included in that - you'll just need to download whatever packs you want to play with (in the brushes palette, in the upper right corner, click the little icon that looks like several lines on top of each other, then select "get more brushes..." and there ya go).

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This might be a bit of on odd question but in what medium were old pulp magazine covers and trading cards typically done in such as the Mars Attacks cards? I believe it’s oil but I would just like a second thought on it some I haven’t done anything in oil before

Edit: digging into it more it’s gouache so answered my own question!

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 2, 2019

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Not sure if this is the best place to ask but here goes: my wife recently bought a chalk board for the kitchen and some chalk pens to go with it, unfortunately though these pens aren't very good.

I have looked on the internet and it seems (I am happy to be corrected) that Chalk Ink are the best chalk pens money can buy. The problem being I am in the UK and amazon is quoting me £60 for 8 pens (the classic variety pack). My colleague is visiting New York next month and said she will have a look for them while she is there, in the meantime is there an easier way or comparable alternative? The problem with the current pens is they are really dull aside from the white and don't stand out much.

My wife likes to write out a menu for the coming week and decorate it as diet motivation for us both but she is being limited by the poor quality of the pens, so I want to surprise her with a pack of good chalk pens (very romantic I know!).

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Get some chalk?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
What are some decent brushes I can use for an oil painting class that are cheap? Or at least as cheap as I can get away with without leaving hairs all over and refusing to hold shape

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

The Dregs posted:

What are some decent brushes I can use for an oil painting class that are cheap? Or at least as cheap as I can get away with without leaving hairs all over and refusing to hold shape

You can try a good bristle brush, those are stiffer, should hold well enough and will be cheaper than most soft brushes. You can use those for blocking stuff in and moving a lot of paint on the canvas. A good hog bristle brush should last you a long time and can take a good amount of abuse.

You'll still need a soft smaller brush for details, so you can get a few cheap synthetics. You can save money by getting a smaller size, and just understand that the brush's life is going to be relatively limited. Even expensive sables will get worn down by oil paint and thinners over time. So using cheap synthetics will be fine. Especially since, if you are just using it for details and finishing, a small one should will still last you a while.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

JuniperCake posted:

You can try a good bristle brush, those are stiffer, should hold well enough and will be cheaper than most soft brushes. You can use those for blocking stuff in and moving a lot of paint on the canvas. A good hog bristle brush should last you a long time and can take a good amount of abuse.

You'll still need a soft smaller brush for details, so you can get a few cheap synthetics. You can save money by getting a smaller size, and just understand that the brush's life is going to be relatively limited. Even expensive sables will get worn down by oil paint and thinners over time. So using cheap synthetics will be fine. Especially since, if you are just using it for details and finishing, a small one should will still last you a while.
I'm totally new to painting, though. I don't really know good from bad, and I'm already suffering from some buyers remorse. You wouldn't happen to know any brand names would you? Thanks for the info so far, though. It really helps on deciding which brush tips I want

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 5, 2019

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

lofi posted:

Get some chalk?

Don't really want to deal with the dust as I have an allergy.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

What is the term for when a story starts in the middle of the action? All I can think of is in situ and I'm having a hard time finding examples of it used this way.

e:VVV thank you!

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 11, 2019

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
In medias res

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Is photoshop the only way to enhance the resolution of a photo, mainly JPEG? I used to have photoshop but I do not anymore.

Apr 7, 2019

Less Claypool posted:

Is photoshop the only way to enhance the resolution of a photo, mainly JPEG? I used to have photoshop but I do not anymore.

There are online services which help you do this, such as https://letsenhance.io/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gmc9987 posted:

I am working on a little intro animation for a youtube channel. I haven't been in the audio sourcing game in quite a while, can anyone here recommend a good free/cheap royalty-free SFX website? I need to find a short stinger for the intro, and the budget for this project is very tiny so subscribing to one of the larger SFX/music licensing websites isn't an option right now; I mainly just want something inexpensive or free that I can legally use.

Prob best just to google royalty free stingers, you're going to need to pick one you like anyway

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Yeah that's what I've been doing. I was just wondering if anyone had any specific sites they could recommend, that either had good selection or a good track record when it came to supporting artists and preventing people from uploading sounds they didn't actually have the copyright to.

Thanks for responding!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

gmc9987 posted:

Yeah that's what I've been doing. I was just wondering if anyone had any specific sites they could recommend, that either had good selection or a good track record when it came to supporting artists and preventing people from uploading sounds they didn't actually have the copyright to.

Thanks for responding!

There are enough companies hunting for copyright infringement and then selling the DMCA claim rights to the original creator that you rarely see that kind of thing anymore. If you search "royalty free audio" the first few resutls will be on-the-level sites.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

For stock photos, though, shutterstock claims rights to poo poo they don't own, so don't go with them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

lofi posted:

notepad :colbert:

Notepad++ with LaTeX support. :smugbert:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My Nikon D3000-series saves images with a 4-digit number:

DSC_0001.NEF
DSC_0002.NEF
DSC_0003.NEF ...

It just rolled past 9999, and now all photos are dated 12/31/69 18:00 when I view them in Finder (I'm on a Mac). But they're properly dated when I view them on the camera display or in Bridge. It's not a huge issue, as I usually dump them into a dated folder pretty soon after I take a round of photos, but not always, and I do need to know the actual photo date when I upload them.

I format the SD card before every round of photos; the camera remembers the filename of the last photo taken, so the numbers in the filenames pick up where the last session left off (it doesn't restart at 0001 every time).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lincoln posted:

My Nikon D3000-series saves images with a 4-digit number:

DSC_0001.NEF
DSC_0002.NEF
DSC_0003.NEF ...

It just rolled past 9999, and now all photos are dated 12/31/69 18:00 when I view them in Finder (I'm on a Mac). But they're properly dated when I view them on the camera display or in Bridge. It's not a huge issue, as I usually dump them into a dated folder pretty soon after I take a round of photos, but not always, and I do need to know the actual photo date when I upload them.

I format the SD card before every round of photos; the camera remembers the filename of the last photo taken, so the numbers in the filenames pick up where the last session left off (it doesn't restart at 0001 every time).

The easiest way around this would be to change the three letter prefix, you can do this in settings. Otherwise, I would think lightroom still sees the actual dates from the metadata.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

VelociBacon posted:

The easiest way around this would be to change the three letter prefix, you can do this in settings. Otherwise, I would think lightroom still sees the actual dates from the metadata.

I'll give this a shot, thank you. I also just noticed you can simply reset the filename sequence, so I'll try that, too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lincoln posted:

I'll give this a shot, thank you. I also just noticed you can simply reset the filename sequence, so I'll try that, too.

BTW you shoot a lot if you're over 10k shutters. A used d7200 or something would be a massive step up, you'd really notice it and you could use all your same lenses. I think they're pretty cheap now.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone know some good landscape painting lessons/tutorials I could check out? My landscapes are abysmal and I'd like to have some guidance. I'd prefer watercolors or digital as a medium

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Xun posted:

Anyone know some good landscape painting lessons/tutorials I could check out? My landscapes are abysmal and I'd like to have some guidance. I'd prefer watercolors or digital as a medium

I'm being completely sincere when I say this: watch Bob Ross. His work is kitchsy and sentemental, but the technique is right. Generally you work background to foreground.

Watercolors can feel like painting by numbers or a coloring book, but still work from back to front. It's an additive medium and unlike acrylics and oils, it's more difficult to just paint over something to erase it.

In digital, you can go foreground to background if you want, but I would recommend following the same sequence of background to foreground. The background is also like an underpainting, so you can use that tone you establish to build up your midground and foreground on separate layers.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
How much should authors in the US typically set aside from our royalties so we don't get hosed up by Uncle Sam in tax season? I've read estimates that say to set aside earnings anywhere between 15-45%, which is a crazy range. The new tax code makes it even more confusing for me. When I get royalties I like to pay estimated tax ASAP, but I underpaid last year and was pretty boned :(

I'll talk to an accountant later in the year, but want to start planning ahead regardless.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Xun posted:

Watercolors by Shibasaki, my dude.

He's basically a Japanese Bob Ross with watercolors. He has a playlist for Beginners, advanced instructional videos and also chill visual videos.

Also check out James Gurney's videos. He does mostly landscapes, and he uses watercolors and gouache. Lots of good info there.

Besides that, make a portable painting kit and go out and do some en plein air practice paintings.

Star Man posted:

Watercolors can feel like painting by numbers or a coloring book, but still work from back to front. It's an additive medium and unlike acrylics and oils, it's more difficult to just paint over something to erase it.

Some watercolor artists like to keep their pencil outlines visible. If not, just keep two or three watercolor pencils with you. I typically keep a light blue, a red or violet, and a green with me, that way I can also map out warm spots or cool spots. The green is for plants or any vegetation.

edit:

I outlined this with a GoldFaber Aqua #147 (light blue) for the basic shapes and plants and then I did all the details with GoldFaber Aqua #125 (middle purple pink). There are spots where some of the 125 is still visible, but I like the way it defines some of the edges that otherwise would be lost (like in the stone steps).

As for the difficulty in painting over things, you're right. That's much easier with gouache.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 8, 2019

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Just sorta jumping up to say... NaNoWriMo thread?

edit - I would start the NNWM thread but it would be very in character for me to not finish it :v:

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 9, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Knock yourself out.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Im trying to download a 3d material into clip studio to use. I desperately need a 3d skull i can pose as a reference and I have no money so this is my best option.
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/human-skull-b0251e48e906418ebae34b7f811ca065
that one specifically.

Problem is, I have no idea how to make it useable in clip studio. I have no idea how to get it to appear as a material or what to even do about it. Nothing I google helps.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 12, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Best name/post combo! I'm afraid I can't help, but having a reference skull is a great thing, though I'd really try to save :10bux: and get a real (repro) one.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Star Man posted:

I'm being completely sincere when I say this: watch Bob Ross. His work is kitchsy and sentemental, but the technique is right. Generally you work background to foreground.

In digital, you can go foreground to background if you want, but I would recommend following the same sequence of background to foreground. The background is also like an underpainting, so you can use that tone you establish to build up your midground and foreground on separate layers.

Franchescanado posted:

Watercolors by Shibasaki, my dude.

He's basically a Japanese Bob Ross with watercolors. He has a playlist for Beginners, advanced instructional videos and also chill visual videos.

Also check out James Gurney's videos. He does mostly landscapes, and he uses watercolors and gouache. Lots of good info there.

Besides that, make a portable painting kit and go out and do some en plein air practice paintings.

Some watercolor artists like to keep their pencil outlines visible. If not, just keep two or three watercolor pencils with you. I typically keep a light blue, a red or violet, and a green with me, that way I can also map out warm spots or cool spots. The green is for plants or any vegetation.

edit:

I outlined this with a GoldFaber Aqua #147 (light blue) for the basic shapes and plants and then I did all the details with GoldFaber Aqua #125 (middle purple pink). There are spots where some of the 125 is still visible, but I like the way it defines some of the edges that otherwise would be lost (like in the stone steps).

As for the difficulty in painting over things, you're right. That's much easier with gouache.

Thanks guys! Bob Ross is really awesome but since I struggle a lot with painting digitally I figured I should learn/relearn how to paint in real life, and sadly watercolors are way cheaper and more portable than oils/acrylics :v: Shibasaki seems so nice, looking forward to following along

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I come as a complete know-nothing when it comes to image manipulation, so maybe you can point me in the right direction.

I want to make a dumb thing* and would like to convert this screenshot (from Erasure's "Always"):

into a line drawing that I can trace or transfer onto a carving block. I've followed GIMP and Inkscape tutorials (the tools available to me) and the best I could get is this:

which is better than I had hoped for, to be honest. It gives me a lot of the facial lines, plus a decent amount of detail that I can either work with or fill out manually.

That said, if you're really good at this kind of thing and can tell it could be done better, I'm all ears -- can you think of better tools or tutorials I can follow? If it helps, most of the tutorials I've found followed some variation on this. I'd rather not spring for Photoshop since I use these tools once in a blue moon, thus my lack of knowledge.

Thanks!

* If you're interested in the specifics of my dumb idea: I'd like to turn that into an ukiyo-e style print and this would be a good way to create a key block layer.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Print it out, draw your new layer on tracing paper on top. Tech is cute, but it just doesn't prioritise the same things as the human eye.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Who is the right kind of person to ask if you want to commission just one new ligature for an existing font? Is that a thing graphic artists can do with the right software, or does it require someone with special fontsmithing skills.

If so, does anybody know somebody they could recommend for this kind of small-scale job?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Are there any goons who make logos for cheap? I'd like to make some sweatshirts or t-shirts for my Tale 9 guild, but I suck at graphics. Just need something simple like the name over the SA grenade. I could also use advice on which online merch shop to pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pixelante posted:

Are there any goons who make logos for cheap? I'd like to make some sweatshirts or t-shirts for my Tale 9 guild, but I suck at graphics. Just need something simple like the name over the SA grenade. I could also use advice on which online merch shop to pick.

Make an SA thread, it's commonly done for this kind of thing. Just be as clear as you can.