Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Just came back from 2+ weeks of travel to a new Photoshop update wherein if you try to drag text with the text tool (while editing text move the cursor away from the text and you get the move tool) it now commits the text. How do I go back to the old way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

No Gravitas posted:

I'm looking for a font that is:

- Fixed width.
- Completely serif.
- Really "stuck-up" looking.

Typewriter fonts are a good fit, but nowadays most fonts that mimic typewriters focus on the imperfections of typewriters, and I want a very clean look.

The best candidate so far is this: http://www.myfontfree.com/king-myfontfreecom54f11113.htm

The problem is that I need to use it commercially, and the licensing situation for that one is unclear.

Any other fonts like this one or can someone identify what this font's license is?

EDIT: If unfree, the font must be a one-off payment kind of a deal. I'm gonna be using it all over the place and "per-issue" fees are going to murder me.

This is a pretty nice fixed width font: http://practicaltypography.com/triplicate.html. Comes with all sorts of funky swashes and alternates.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

melon cat posted:

A vector art question.

What is this art-style is used in the Rocknrolla trailer? Screenshot below if it helps. I wanted to learn how to do it, but wasn't sure what I should be searching up. Looks kind of like cel shading, maybe?

Stencil

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm looking to make a custom printed hoodie, and while there are plenty of sites offering the service, I have no idea which ones offer the highest quality fabric and printing. Can anyone point me in the direction of luxurious hoodies and durable printing?

Having worked in the t-shirt printing industry for a few years, our go-to wholesale brands for soft and warm clothes were Canvas and Next Level. Ask for those and you should be pretty happy.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Lincoln posted:

Can anyone ID either of these typefaces? Identifont doesn't know.

edit: "MOTORS" is very close to 3D Fantablock Beveled. Still seeking "Murfreesboro, TN."

Looks like Lobster to me: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/lobster

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Has anyone printed on fabric on an inkjet plotter and would be able to provide a bit of guidance? We are looking for a canvas/linen/fabric that would be not so tight a weave that would allow some light to get through, yet not destroy our plotter. The clear and sensible path is to have them done by a printer who specializes in this, but our owner insists on using our equipment.

In the industry that's called DTG printing and if the color of what you're printing on isnt something very light prints tend to look pretty gross

What are you trying to make and couldn't you just print on a clear acrylic or something?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

VanguardFelix posted:

What's the best way these days to digitize source material? I receieved a paw print and nose print after my pup passed and I want to make digital copies for backup/future use. I'm guessing a DSLR on a tripod with proper lighting? Just want to find the right path before looking for someone in the area that can help.

Is it like an ink print on paper? Or a plaster cast? If it is ink on paper a scan will look much better and be much easier to do than photograph

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

VanguardFelix posted:

It's ink stamped on a textured paper/cardstock. I haven't used scanners in awhile and wasn't aware their resolution was good for macros of smaller object sizes.

Just take it to your local copy shop and they'll be able to give you an image that's bigger than you'll ever know what to do with. Scanners can do up to 1200 dpi and more easy these days.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

TopherCStone posted:

Is there a name for this kind of typographic layout?

You see it all over the place in old-timey stuff and I'm curious to know if there's a word for it

Old-Timey Stuff Design

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Yeah, I would just use a lookalike.

This is Mostra Nuova. It's available on Typekit if you have Creative Cloud.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

There's a bunch of solid answers here but I'm gonna do a quick tutorial since yall are missing the simplest and best way to do this.

First, if the path is on the outside of the shape, apply an Offset Path to get it to the center of the yellow stroke. Just take the width of that stroke and divide it by two (you can do math in the dialog box!).

I just did a quick measurement of the Martini stripes in Photoshop and found they came out to about an equal 12 units (see image). So, we'll divide that width from earlier by 12 and move on

Back in Illustrator click on your new path and open up the Appearance panel. Make sure that path stays highlighted and create the center red stripe by doing some Quick MathsTM. Take your new single unit width and multiply it by 4. Make sure to include whatever unit you're using in Illustrator, or it will automatically assume you're using points.

The Appearance panel allows you to stack multiple strokes on one path, all originating from the center, so add a few more strokes below that are wider than the ones above it and a pattern will start to appear. If you're math is right, it'll look perfect and will be much easier to modify in the future than some other options posted here

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Lincoln posted:

Illustrator:
I need to repeat a rainbow gradient along a stroke. It's a 3-color gradient - yellow-orange-red. I am stumped.

Like this?

or like this?

It's just the difference between these two buttons:

edit: sorry, if you need to repeat the gradient perpendicularly across the path multiple times I would make a gradient that has those repetitions built in or split the path up into multiple segments.

edit 2: another option is to make a Pattern Brush. That's probably your best bet.

edit 3: ok so you can't use gradients for a pattern brush but you can use blends:

set your corners to Auto Centered:

And the final result looks pretty good:

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 26, 2019

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The Skeleton King posted:

I've just gotten my first drawing tablet and need good brushes to work with. I'd prefer stuff that just makes lines look more "natural" or like they were drawn with an actual pen, but don't know where to look. I can use photoshop or GIMP.

Photoshop actually comes with some good brushes these days but I always really liked the Frenden brush packs. And if you haven’t bought a drawing app yet I recommend Clip Studio/Manga Studio or whatever it’s called

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Native American, to be absurdly broad

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

melon cat posted:

What's this digital art style called?

Looks like some type of comic-book inspired look. I want to learn more about it and how I can start learning it.

Learning how to draw is the most important thing but you can you can achieve this look (to some extent) in Photoshop with the Posterize adjustment layer.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Lincoln posted:

Mac OS, using Adobe CC:

Photoshop tools are all a part of the main application window; if I drag the PS window around, the tools all stay attached to it. But Illustrator keeps the tools separate from the main application window, so when I switch from the external monitor to the laptop screen —or vice-versa— I have to manually rearrange everything. In PS, all I have to do is hit the maximize button and everything is in its place.

Is there an option in Preferences I'm missing, or are they just different that way?

Go to Window > Application Frame. You may have to snap some of your toolbars to the left and right side or re enable them but it should work.