Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
I got a 30x42" drawing table from a friend and it's wonderful, but theres some paint and roughness on the surface. I've been going at it with a razor blade which has gotten most of it off, but I still want to cover it with some type of smooth material.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a drawing table cover? I was thinking either hot press illustration board or maybe a large piece of Stonehenge paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
Well I'm more of an illustrator than a writer, but how I try to approach editing is almost as if i were someone else. I try to be very critical and go through my work making notes: "this is too long, this rhythm is off, this is confusing, etc." I also try to be very objective about the piece I'm working on.
I read somewhere how you as an artist have to wear a bunch of different hats when you work on your stuff. There's this disconnect you need where part of the time you're the creator and then you switch over to editing and back and forth.

Kinda long winded, but hopefully helpful..

I don't think there's a standard number of times you should rewrite something. Generally you're most attached to your first attempt, but often times if you rewrite and explore other possibilities for that paragraph you can come up with something better.

le capitan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 6, 2013

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
You might want to try FireAlpaca. It's free and has line correction.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

BlueDestiny posted:

Does anyone have good practice methods for pencil-drawing hands and feet?

Study some anatomy books as well. Learn standard proportions like your middle finger tip to your knuckles is the same length as the palm of your hand from knuckle to wrist, your thumb ends a little bit longer than your knuckles, etc.

Do a google search for anatomy reference and you'll find tons of helpful stuff.

And as mentioned before, studying from life is extremely helpful. You can take photos of your hands or use a mirror.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

triplexpac posted:

So what sites do people use for their portfolios? I'm looking for something simple. I don't mind Cargo, but I'm curious what else is out there.

I do have my own domain + hosting, so I could do something myself. I'm just a print designer, so I don't really want to create a portfolio site from scratch. I could deal with a template I could edit though, I do know some HTML + CSS

I have my own domain + hosting with wordpress installed. You can customize the templates fairly easily and whatnot. Here's my site if you want to take a look: http://www.levigilbert.com

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I have a horror parody of a classic short story that's just over 6,000 words, so I'm obviously not going to be able to pitch it on its own. In terms of publishing, should I try magazines/magazine contests, or just convert it to an e-book and do my own marketing.

Both?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I noticed there's a "share your portfolio site" thread in the Photography subforum. Think there'd be interest in a more general one, for us graphic designers/artists? Or is there one already and I missed it?

I think that's a great idea! I'm not sure if there's already a thread for that either, but there should be.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

schmarson posted:

What are your thoughts on tracing?

Short version: don't trace and make final art from a tracing, you might as well just use the photo.

If you're copying something from a photo for a final drawing or painting it removes most of the choices you make when deciding how to paint or draw something.

It's a good idea to use photos as reference and if you're having trouble drawing something for sure do a couple tracings of it, but only to help you learn how to draw something better.

You still need to take those photos and tracings and whatnot and run them through your personal filter to create.

Lets say for example i want to paint a forest: Ill find photos of forests on the internet and do copies of them for practice and inspiration. I'll find what other people have drawn or painted of forests that i like or a certain style i like and practice that as well. And i'll try to actually go to a forest and sketch on location and take my own photos too.

Then i take all this stuff and use it as reference to make my final image.

Hope this helps/answers the question you had.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
I typically do full color for even my b&w scans and control everything in photoshop.

I typically scan at 600dpi, but most of my stuff is shrunk down for web to 72dpi. I've heard 300 to 600dpi is typical for print; I'd go 1200 for print and shrink it to 600.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

blackmanjew posted:

Does the CC have a list of books to get to learn how to draw? I'm currently terrible at drawing, but would like to get into cartooning, something along this style

http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/cartoon-fundamentals-how-to-draw-a-cartoon-face-correctly--vector-15792

I tried following that tutorial and it become super apparent I need to get the basics down first.

Anyone read this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...&pf_rd_i=507846

Um i would take a look at:
-How to draw comics the marvel way
-Drawing on the right side of the brain

Also Scott Robertson has a ton of great stuff so check him out.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Anatharon posted:

I was looking for some fantasy Barbarian art to use on a D&D character sheet (yeah, yeah.) and I happened across some that I liked. http://imgur.com/a/qkbFO

That piqued some interest in digital art, because the only drawing I've done is pencil and paper.

Now those are all different styles but if I wanted to try to take it up, where should I start? A tablet for drawing, of course, but beyond that. :v:

Do some google searching for tutorials online. Ctrl alt paint is a good website that covers some basics. Understand too that digital art is just a different media like charcoal or pencil or watercolor or oil painting. So there's learning how to use the medium and also learning things like design, color theory, composition, anatomy, etc.

Pinball posted:

Is it weird...

I think you just need to write more and read more. Also there's some decent threads here on SA related to writing so you might want to check them out.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Creepy Goat posted:

Maybe this is the place to ask?

Trying to market myself locally since work has been reeeaal slow recently. Do people still dig skateboard decks as 'art'? Wondering if it would be worthwhile putting some of my calligraphy & design work on decks and giving them to charity auctions and such to try and get a bit of publicity whilst doing (hopefully) some good. Always found plain old prints to be a bit lacklustre at event auctions, and clothing is a bit too 'fragile'.

If you do some deck art you'll probably pull in mostly more deck art.

So i guess it depends what kind of work you want to do...

Things that you might want to look into:
-murals
-finding local businesses you think could afford you and need lettering or design work done.
-local magazines, doing covers or article images.
-see about getting some of your work displayed in a local gallery or art store. (I work in an art supply store part time and people come in fairly often looking for an artist to do work for them or see a painting on the wall and want to buy it.)

Hopefully this is helpful, hang in there!

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

The Royal Scrub posted:

Are those 'digital paintings' a lot of scifi concept art is done in made with Photoshop?

I mean this type of stuff just in case

Yeah, most of that stuff is Photoshop or Painter.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

Probably a silly question, but here goes…

All of you who've been drawing a while: how much measuring would you say you do as you draw? Both from direct reference and from your head? I ask because I measure the poo poo out of everything—and I double- and triple-check them all whenever I can—but I'm starting to feel a point of diminishing returns. Should I try to transition to trusting my gut more?

For me it's mostly muscle memory. I used to measure everything, but now I hardly ever do. I'll measure if I'm having trouble with something or it just doesn't look quite right. I still will plot guidelines in and I'll measure proportions and stuff like that from time to time. Like if I'm drawing a fairly realistic person I'll still measure and draw guidelines for where I want the eyes and the nose and the mouth to go. I'll do a quick check of height proportion based off the head size(check the head size, measure that down to the nipple line, belly button, crotch, etc).

Hope that helps!

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

I was looking at Ryan Woodward's gestures on Quickposes, and I'm wondering how he gets that shading effect.

You know, those rectangular blocks of tone that he uses to give that sort of cubist impression of mass. I thought maybe he was using a rectangular bit of charcoal, but I don't think it would come out looking so clean or light. It doesn't look like the effect you get with a tortillon either. It's probably something silly that I'm not seeing. I realize it's not essential to gesture drawing, but now my curiosity's killing me. Can anybody please tell me how he did it? Thanks!

It's kind of hard to tell, but it's either charcoal or conte. The large blocks of shading are done with the side of the stick of charcoal/conte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Koramei posted:

With the marquee tools in photoshop, what's the key to make the dots invisible?

Ctrl + h