Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I got accepted to two gallery shows that are running at the same time. This is my first time actually showing in a place that isn't attached to my school.

First and foremost, I told one gallery I would be submitting work's number 1, 2, and 3, but the other gallery wants work number 3, if that makes any sense. Should I alert the gallery before dropping off my work that I'll be one piece short?

Secondly, is it a huge faux pas to miss the opening reception? For one of the shows I'll be out of town and wont be able to make the reception.

I was also curious about things like business cards, artist statements, etc. The galleries would have asked me for those things, right? Should I just carry my business cards with me during the opening? Do I even need them? I'm so overwhelmed. It feels so weird showing with real artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

SynthOrange posted:

Yes, you should tell them as soon as possible.
It's not a problem not to show up. Once you've been to enough it's all pretty routine and boring. You get free drinks though if its that kind of gallery.
And yes, carry cards.

Thanks, I dropped them a quick line. I didn't expect to get accepted to both shows at once, to be honest.

In college they also said to make postcards for shows. Should I do this too or are business cards just fine? I need to update my business cards...

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
So, one of the galleries wants "not more than two pages with a concise biography, artist's statement and list of your major exhibitions". What the hell does a "concise biography" entail? What do they want from me? I'm confused :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there any benefit from going to a gallery opening of yours besides the free food? Also, can I wear whatever I want?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
This is probably a stupid question. I studied textiles and fibers in college and I'm looking at some related positions. I have a lot of experience with textile design but no actual portfolio of designs, just a couple of left-over finished products.

I'm not sure the best way to go about building my portfolio up. Personally, I always did initial designs with gouache and didn't use the computer too much, which I know isn't the popular way to do things anymore. Is it worth getting all the initial designs made into samples? I didn't have any intentions of going into textile design in college, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the portfolio process.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Ummm so apparently I applied to a show a couple of months ago, got accepted, and can't afford to pay for the registration fee and to ship my work.

Is there a polite or appropriate way to tell the gallery this?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Edit: oops wrong thread

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Has anyone here ever applied for an artist residency before? Any comments on the process?