Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I need help to identify a painting from a description:

It was in the San Francisco museum of modern art. There was a man sitting on a couch, in a dark room, facing the camera. Behind him there was a window. You could see the sloped street and some cars outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The website was down last time I checked. And it doesn't seem to be there anyway.

Edit: Nvm, I guess I can go artist by artist until I find it.

Edit2: I was wrong.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 14, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Ugh, I'm sorry, I missed it completely. Thanks.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't know about paint, but in photoshop you can record actions and then replay them for other images in the actions window. Maybe there is something similar there.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

nas1234567890 posted:

Okay so I need help with this;

Which one of these is shaded right? People are always telling me to shade with colors that aren't black but every time I don't use a color that is near black it looks really flat. I just don't get it. And I don't know what colors to even use to shade? When I look at something in real life I don't think "Well that's definetely a red shadow," it just looks like a shadow. I feel like a really bad artist now because I apparently don't get this.

You are on the right track on 2, just push it more. Also, you CAN use black, just use it very sparingly for small accents.
I spent 2 seconds on this but you can push it even more than that.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

What is that bounce option? I have never seen that.

I always use classic tweens and the easing slider on the properties panel, sometimes I will click on the little pencil next to it and modify it further. It is not the best way but as far as I know Flash sucks and doesn't have a proper curve editor.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

To me "was" sounds wrong so I would go with "were". English is my second language though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 30, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is there a design critique thread? I recall something like that but can't find it.

Edit: Nvm, found it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Chipp Zanuff posted:

So i'm biting the bullet and finally going to a life-drawing group session for once, im still a total beginner though and still trying to grasp the basics without sucking, i guess what im asking is this; am i going in over my head and should wait until im better, or go and try it regardless? It's probably a stupid question, but i don't want to end up looking like an idiot.

No, no, no. Do NOT wait, just go and do it. It's the best way to become good.

Here are some additional tips:
-For the first few months you should not worry about making good/finished pieces, focus on getting the general shape and attitude of each pose. This will give you the best return for your time investment.
-Don't use an eraser, if you screw up just draw over it. You don't want to get attached to your early (most likely crappy) work.
-Draw single confident lines instead of nervous "hairy" lines. They will look much better even if they aren't perfect.
-Feel free to play with different mediums and techniques. Perhaps you want to try pen and ink for one session or draw a few poses without lifting the charcoal. Have fun with it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

That's a good exercise. Other ideas you might find useful:
-Draw without looking at the paper, just at the model/whatever. This helps you to train your vision and "really" see.
-Speed drawing: Set an extremely short time limit (30 seconds) and draw anything you find. This will force you to pick up and draw the essence of an object and won't give you time to retrace.
-Public drawing: Go out to the zoo or park and draw random people/animals you see. They won't stand still, so it is kinda like speed drawing in that respect.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Does anybody have experience doing freelance work through sites such as upwork? Which ones are the best? Any tips to get the most out of it?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the advice. I live in Mexico so it may be worth it anyway, I guess I can look into it and at worst I can choose not to do it. On the bright side I already have a full-time job so it's not like I'm going to starve either way.

I've already started reaching out to people but so far I haven't had much luck, just a couple of projects I found here in SA.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I figured they are not in it for the wellbeing of the freelancers, especially since their starting fees are pretty outrageous. I think I'll keep looking to expand my client base and leave those sites as a last option. Thanks!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Basically, clients posts freelance jobs and anyone within the required discipline can pick it up. There are artists, writer, coders, animators and so on.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

One of the things I was taught was to never use pure black or pure white. Maybe just a tiny bit for a few accents but nothing more. Obviously rules can be broken but that has been a good rule of thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

How can I export a looping video from AE? Or a GIF that isn't 100MB and doesn't look like crap.

I have Media Encoder if that's worth anything.

Edit: If I wasn't clear, I basically want to put the video online and have it loop by default regardless of where I post it.

Edit2: Turns out most places will take in straight video.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 5, 2018