Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I have a question about Flash (CS3, if it matters)

I've exported a flash movie as a .swf with sound. I'm trying to embed that .swf into another flash movie by simply importing the .swf into it, but when I do there is no longer sound for the original .swf. Meanwhile, the sound in the rest of the flash movie works fine.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Giga Gaia posted:

Does anyone know of decent free texture resources? I'm aware of CG Textures and intend to grab my allotted 15 a day. I can't afford an account right now or I'd pay for one, so any other free resources would be great. Thanks.

Edit: oh, and any tips for scanning to get textures. It might just be the scanners I work with, but most of the times the scans come out really terribly. Maybe I have the settings wrong or something for getting the detail I need.

http://www.bluevertigo.com.ar/ is a very extensive resource site. It has a subsection for textures in the stock photography section. Hopefully you can find some useful (free) ones.

mcsuede posted:

Okay this is really pissing me off: Photoshop (CS4) enter is committing text, not adding a return, so that text typed after enter just appears over the existing line instead of on a new line. I'm on a laptop, using the normal enter button above the right shift. How do I change this!? Currently I'm having to create new text boxes for every line and it's extremely frustrating.

Have you checked your leading?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

DrRimbaud posted:

Eep, sorry. I moderate the Saddle Creek message boards and I guess I need to stop assuming etiquette and such are the same here as they are there. What's the Leper Colony? I don't understand the premise of a lot of the forums here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php

I'm not convinced that you can learn all that much about SA just by browsing it but it can't hurt.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

NESguerilla posted:

Why not buy them from a wholesaler? My dad gets them for about 4 dollars a piece. The selection is pretty limited though.

He's asking where he can find one to buy from.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Miike posted:

What font is being used in this Purina commercial?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWPSPWPFYE

http://www.dafont.com/hand-test.font

Used a modified version of it once for a project. Lucky coincidence.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I'm looking into making custom shoes using some sort of fabric paint marker. I'd really like to speak to someone who has done this before to see what works for them and what problems I might need to work around. Has anyone done this before or know someone who has that I can contact? Or, barring those, a good writeup on it? I've seen some on sites like eHow but lord knows how accurate those are.

I thought this might be a better question for DIY but didn't see a thread.

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 1, 2011

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I'm using Illustrator to trace a jpg (by hand), but when I place the image it becomes very pixelated. What's going on?

I've been using Illustrator extensively for years and don't remember this ever being an issue.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Is there a way to pre-pre-screen it? Even if a lawyer here sees it and tells you it's ok the school's lawyers might decide they don't want to risk anything and force you to cut it.

Also art is really weird when you just describe it.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I wouldn't have offered a second chance. This is a completely one-sided deal and unless he can provide a good reason that he no-showed then forget him.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Given that you're ok with making it yourself I don't see why it matters what font you use. Alternatively, that W would be easy to recreate if it's the only letter bothering you.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

klaivu posted:

I'm unfamiliar with american print terms - what exactly is the difference between 10pt and 14pt paper? What do the points refer to?

From Wikipedia: "In the U.S., card stock thickness is usually measured in points or mils that gives the thickness of the sheet in thousandths of an inch. For example, a 10 pt. card is 0.010 in (0.254 mm) thick (roughly corresponding to a weight of 250 g/m2); 12 pt. is 0.012 in (0.3048 mm)."

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Haeleus posted:

Question about Illustrator: Is there a way to resize an image like the one below by stretching it out vertically or horizontally in the middle, but without warping the rounded edges or the thickness of the white border? I'm thinking of something akin to Photoshop's content aware scale.

In case its relevant, these are three separate vectors here (green rectangle, white rounded-edge rectangle, and a green rounded-edge rectangle).

If they're vector, yes. Just use the Direct Select tool to grab only the points you want to move. For example, if you want to make it wider you can box select the right (or left) half and drag those out, for example.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
That's your source image?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

There were two feet of space (feet is the noun and it is plural, "of space" operates as an adjective modifying the noun feet, not as a noun itself. Verb is based on the noun, so it is plural.)

Wouldn't space still be the noun here, with "two feet" being the modifier? Can a measurement even be a noun?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
The scissors tool (C) will cut out segments of a path. It might help to duplicate the circle and use a different layer for each color to build it. Just leave the bottom layer as a full circle, cut out (and save) 2/3 of the middle layer and 1/3 of the top layer. (Illustrator)

Also there might be a way to do it with Illustrator's graphing feature, but I've never really used it. Make a 3-section pie chart and plop a white circle in the middle, or use a circle and the pathfinder tool to cut out that part if you need it to be transparent.

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 15, 2012

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
http://www.indiegogo.com/jaybird-comic

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
That's the point where I try dicking around with settings. Do you use MPE GPU acceleration? Mess around with your preview playback resolution. Make sure the drive with the footage isn't dying or being used for something else demanding. Make a sacrifice to the gods.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

pseudorandom posted:

Does anyone know if there's a name for the style of pictures like these, or at least some terms I could use to search for more?

More specifically, I'm looking for mainly the neon colors and use of different shapes/patterns to show transitions/shading. Though, those might actually be two separate styles, I guess.

Edit: I guess they fall into digital art, but is there a name for the use of neon colors like these?

The transitions and shading are essentially just forms of dithering

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I'm far from an authority on the subject but I would think that the left side has more flexibility/adaptability. I also wonder exactly what "social relevancy" means when referring to art.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
That's true, that type of graph is normally used to highlight the overlaps between the different sectors. It really doesn't do that at all here and just makes it needlessly complex.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Shot in the dark - http://vectips.com/tutorials/amazing-free-seamless-pattern-generator-templates-for-illustrator/

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Does Photoshop have a function to resize an image to a target file size? The save for web feature lets you target a file size but it adjusts the compression quality to achieve it.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I don't think it would need to be complicated and frankly being complicated would not be a problem. I suppose it can't be done, though.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Illustrator seems to have a lot of rendering quirks so it could just be one of those. Is there any reason you can't just fully delete that segment of the path rather than setting the width to zero?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I thought that line would disappear when you save it out but I see it doesn't.

This is kind of bootleg but I had some success using outline stroke, releasing the compound path created, then recreating the compound path with the pathfinder tool (alt + click on minus front). Just using vanilla minus front kind of works but needed a bit of cleanup. It doesn't make much sense but it seems to do the trick.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I'm no writer, but is "suspension of disbelief" really interchangeable with "plausibility" there? Suspension of disbelief is an act of the audience, while plausibility is describing the matter.

Again, I'm no writer.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I'm not sure where to ask this because they're not really art supplies, but can anyone recommend some good dry erase markers?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Well, what you're looking for is graphic design. Maybe offer someone a couple bucks to make a template for you.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
That's where it is for me. About halfway down, between Smart Objects and Rasterize. CS6.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Yeah, you're right. Let the original artist know and they can do what they want with the info.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Pretty sure they're just animated gifs so any tutorial for that should be fine.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

dupersaurus posted:

Adobe also has Photoshop CS2 (a old but perfectly good version) -- a full version, no less -- up on its web site for free download.

No, they don't. You still need a license to legally use it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2013/01/07/download-adobe-cs2-applications-for-free/

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
^ I would think that Illustrator already does that.

Anyways, you're running into the limitations of raster files. You may have to alter the image to accommodate small size usage.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
That or make an alternate logo for small sizes. Or don't make it that small, of course.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
The first thing I'd look at is your printer. Keep in mind that bullwinkle's method would require a printer than can print to the edges of the sheet.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
How big of a panorama? I wouldn't expect to find anything better than 1920x1080, which isn't going to print particularly well if you blow it up to be 5' wide.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

cmykjester posted:

Hello I'm a graphic design student and I was wondering if I should just save all images as tiffs or bmps because I have this giant hard drive and I might as well use it. Or should I just stick with the usual jpg and png. Most of my coursework deals with designs that will eventually be printed physically.

Thanks for the help.

Keep the originals and when you need to use them for something save it out appropriately. I don't understand why you would bother to save them as anything in particular unless you were using them, in which case you'd then determine what the best method is.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Contact the manufacturer and get a replacement.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Baron Bifford posted:

I need to draw a circle which has a gradient fill where the color is most intense at one angle. Below is an MS Paint mockup of what I mean:

I need it like this, but with a smooth change in the color. How do I accomplish this in a vector illustration program? Inkscape doesn't seem to support conical gradients.

If you have Illustrator CS6 or CC you can apply a stroke along a curved path and just jack the stroke width up.

I made a test image but imgur won't let me upload it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

melon cat posted:

Imgur seems to be having some problems- I can't upload anything either. I've been using Ultra Image in the interim.

Huzzah