Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm looking for a small bag or pouch I can easily toss in my motorcycle saddlebag, car, or backpack, depending on what I'm doing, so that I'm never caught wishing I had a sketchbook.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a small and rugged travel bag for carrying a sketch book, pencils, etc - something water proof and with enough compartments to keep everything in it's place? Also, I'll take any related recommendations for what sort of small sketchbook to put in the bag, anything that's considered economical is fine with me.

I'm a complete novice so I don't need anything extravagant, but I'd appreciate any recommendations and I'll look over any suggested products, I know everyone's price points are different so if the bag works for you, please feel free to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I strongly agree with you because I hate spending money on a new hobby as opposed to just *doing* the drat thing, so I bought some basic stuff and an inexpensive bag to keep it all in, I'm going to try a ziploc gallon bag as an inner liner, thanks for the tip.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As someone completely new to making visual art, I'm seeing a difference here:

Art Professor on YouTube: "Don't erase your mistakes, keep drawing"

Different sources, the very instant I looked into digital art: "Use the undo feature as many times as needed until you get the line right"

I feel weird because on the one hand that's kind of exactly what I'd want from digital art, but my knee jerk reaction is to cry foul.

Now of course there's a difference between learning (and making mistakes) vs using skills you've built up, but this sounds like a more profound difference. I know this isn't news to anyone else, so is there some kind of general consensus on how much is too much when you're just hitting "control z" on a line over and over?

I'm guessing it's "you can't re do lines to any effect if youre not at all capable of what you're trying to draw"? Like, currently I could erase lines all day, for hours, and I would not end up with a good drawing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a dumb question about the cintiq 16; does the OS on the tablet give me everything I need to produce finished art, or will I also need to get a photoshop and lightroom sub?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I assume you feel there's sufficient documentation and tutorials online for...kritka? That would be one reason I'd be hesitant not to go with photoshop, but I'm totally ignorant here so I'd welcome any opinion or input you wanted to share.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If I wanted to roughly emulate the appearance, but not necessarily the methods, of illuminated manuscripts, what are the cheaper options? Various markers and inks?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok this one is really stupid but I'm not having any success googling the answer myself; does anyone have an article, video, or just their own tip/guide on how to abstract/simplify/sketch complex patterns/textures? The specific problem I'm running into, and apologies in advance for being such a neck beard, is I'm trying to sketch out my friend's table-top RPG characters and I don't know what to do about chainmail armor - it can't be right that I'm supposed to draw out each link, because that's way too much line work for a sketch, it would be totally at odds with the rest of the drawing and I'd just mess it up.

This has been surprisingly hard to google: I've found excellent videos on how to draw complicated textures realistically,and lots of excellent renderings of chainmail by skilled artists, but I'm more looking some basic tips/guides on how to suggest the pattern with a few lines?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Big box stores should sell sketch pads, too.

Edit: I only mention it because you said there were no art stores nearby, if amazon is where you wanna go then my answer isn't really what you need.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Could anyone please help me find a very large (25"x30"/60cm/75cm) water color pad with one inch grids. I'm doing some custom battle mats for a table top RPG and I can't seem to find water color paper that is both very large and gridded.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend an upright box for 8.5x11 sketchbooks? Like the kind that RPG sets come in, a slip case? I'm sure someone sells one but damned if I can locate it myself. I'd like one to hold three pentalic sketchbooks but I'd just buy a full set if that's what it took.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is there an airbrush thread? I'm being gifted a siphon setup and want to learn a bit about technique.

Is it like the air brush used in miniatures painting? Because the traditional games sub forum has lots and lots of knowledgeable posting on that kind of airbrushing.