Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
May have been asked earlier, but is there a good online gif maker? I have a series of jpgs i want to make into a looped gif but most of the ones from a google search are either sketchy as hell lookin or only allow so many images per gif...

If no good online ones, whats a good free one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

vonnegutt posted:

You can use the GIMP to make animated GIFs. There are tutorials available online.

I found http://gifmake.com/ which worked out well.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Any books or websites that cover basic scientific illustration? I'm looking to do some simple diagnostics of spider parts;

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Fnoigy posted:

Keys are usually a good place to find these, or biodiversity surveys.

Well, yes, I'm planning to help a friend who is creating a revision of a genus, and a few new descriptions. I'll mostly be drawing the epigyne (poony) of females, which is very diagnostic in species identification.

I'm mostly asking if anyone has read any good books on the subject of scientific biological illustration itself. Techniques, etc.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Whats that website that had a simple decent looking paint program that emulated brushstrokes and texture? It was linked from GBS awhile ago and I lost it.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

What's everyones favorite anatomy and reference books for figure drawing? Also anything about illustration theory.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

I like figurative painters from Jean Ingres up to Jacob Collins and Jeremy Lipking, but I have no formal training nor an idea of what would constitute one. So I've decided to sort of half rear end it myself, learning proportion, anatomy, light, etc.

My question: is it a good idea to just straight up copy drawings that I like? Am I going to learn anything that I wouldn't by attending life sessions or taking a real class? Could I use it as a cheap alternative, a basis to build on?

Second question: Whos everyones favorite figurative artists?

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Dick Danger posted:

-An overwhelming majority of visual novels are heavily grounded in realistic settings, do you feel that a 'slice of life' setting would interest you more than a more fantastical or surreal setting?
-What core themes do you feel would lend themselves best to the visual novel medium as well as interest you the most? (ie. Crime, Romance, Adventure)
-What level of interactivity do you expect from a visual novel?
-Do you prefer being able to manipulate the storyline with your own actions or would you rather follow a single linear plot?

-What do you feel is the most important element in a noteworthy VN?

If anyone could recommend any particular engines, I'd be incredibly thankful.

- Realism has its place, but I'm sure you would find players for a fantasy/ scifi setting.
- I would prefer Crime
- I like high levels, being able to alter the story as I go along. Multiple endings are a good thing, it increases replay value.
- Manipulation

- Story. Storystoryplotplotcharacterizationstory

- Ren'Ply is popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Does anyone know of an art print site that I could buy a really big repro of some classic paintings? I want to get a 30"ish by 50"ish of a Frieseke, Courbet, Giorgione, something like that to put over my couch. Don't want to spend more than $200, if possible.