Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I'm currently trying to do two things, 1. learn to draw and design and 2. write a story.

Could anyone reccomend a begginer friendly pencil kit that'll allow me to self teach myself drawing and shading methods and other threads here that will put me a foot in the right direction aside from anything photoshop related? *I want to learn how to draw with pencils basically*

Secondly, I'm a little afraid to completely give out the details to a story I'm writing on. Could someone be kind enough to allow me to explain the premise to them while I'm currently working on it to touch it up. *I can't exactally post it because I'm still brainstorming ideas*.

I would appreciate the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Bag Of Ghosts posted:

Re: thing number two. Sure. Send your idea to bagofghostssa@gmail.com and I'd be more than happy to give you feedback.

E-mail sent, appreciated. Also my aim is Rasennoinurei.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Spider Crusoe posted:

What's your goal with learning art? Do you want to draw realistically or cartoony? Do you want to make professional-quality drawings or are you happy with a more amateur level?

I want to start learning things like figures, cartoons, and surreal mental stuff off the top of my head. I'd also like to do every day things like drawing my monitor or a tree and understanding things like perspective, depth, and coloring/shading.

Munoma fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 26, 2009

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

General Ripper posted:

re: pencils. There are many different brands, most have kits of multiple pencils. Try a variety, see what you like best. There's no cut and dry 'best' pencil, just whatever you like using.

Some basics to consider:
-lead hardness. There are different grades of hard or soft leads, depending on the job you want to do. On the pencil you'll see a letter code, you're probably familiar with HB. It's on a scale, from hardest to softest with H for hard, B for soft, ie: 6H, 4H, 2H, H, HB, B, 2B, 4B, 6B and so on.

Harder leads will scratch into the paper more than softer leads, and so are harder to erase or leave impressions in the paper, so they're generally used for finished work or fine lines, but because they are harder are usually lighter in tone. Soft leads (i'm a 6B sketcher myself) go on darker, and erase more easily, and generally used for looser work. The same classifications apply to charcoal, conte...

As for brands, there's Staedtler, General's, Derwent, and tons more. Try a few of each, they're not too pricey. Also try smooth paper versus paper with some texture. Draw as much as you can and don't worry too much about making things 'look good', just doodle, have fun, get used to the pencil in your hand until you have nice callus on your finger. Once the drawing is intuitive, then excercises from books will come more easily.

Try to draw people, pets, cars, buildings, whatever you see around you. Also draw from imagination for fun. Sit at a coffee shop with your sketchbook and try not to be too creepy drawing strangers.

Another thing to try would be drawing with charcoal or conte. The principles are similar to pencil work, and I find it will really make your pencil art look better. Charcoal's a little messier than conte, especially vine charcoal, but both will look good and can give you very dark blacks.

Finally, don't get discouraged. I know a lot of people who stopped drawing because they didn't think they were any good but the key is to keep drawing often, just for fun. Once you're drawing with some regularity you'll see your skills improve all the time. Remember that for every good drawing there are a thousand bad ones.

Also post your results here, we love a big artsy circle jerk.

The other guy provided a good answer but this is what I was really looking for, I also agree about the hardwork part. I'm starting to doubt wether or not I can be a writer now, but hey drawing isn't something I ever plan on being good at so thanks.

Then again who knows, one thing I belive I don't have any talent at could blossom at any minute. :iiam:

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
what ^^ means is [s] close like other tags and you'll be fine.[/same letter]