Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flippinmarilyn
Feb 13, 2009

I... am a treebanger.
I have an interest in picking up painting as my own personal hobby (not competitively, or for a profession). My only concern is that I lack the ability to draw, in general, or I've never actually tried. I'm wondering if there's a niche for people like me, people with the desire to learn, but that haven't always been gifted from birth. Is there a niche that I can fall into for the less talented? Is all hope lost for me? (teasing, but still >_<)

From the experience of other painters? Were you always able? Or was painting a skill that you acquired and refined with practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flippinmarilyn
Feb 13, 2009

I... am a treebanger.

zap actionsdower! posted:

None of us are gifted from birth. It takes lots and lots of practice to become an artist. I firmly believe that anyone can become a talented artist with enough time and practice.

You do need to be able to draw in order to paint satisfyingly. So pick up a pencil and start. Maybe check out your local art center and see what classes they have. Pick up the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" for a few tips.

I'll keep that in mind, and I'll come back and make note of my progress once I get started ;). Thanks for the words of encouragement!

flippinmarilyn
Feb 13, 2009

I... am a treebanger.
Just for the hell of it, I grabbed the paint set that I had (more like project paint, like for finger-painting and such) lying around, a poster board, and started painting. What started to look like a cutesy weird painting, turned into full on attempts at blending...

I find it strange that even though my original intention was to stick to cutesy, it's turning out completely different. I'm pretty sure I was painting for like an hour and a half. and I'm NOWHERE close to done, because it feels like I keep starting over in the same area.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my excitement =]