Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Might as well also ask this question from the Mac-app thread here:

ufarn posted:

I have some PSDs I need to use for a project, but I don't use any of Adobe's products.

Apparently, my Pixelmator doesn't know how to properly operate those things.

Is there a Mac app with a sane price I could use instead?

EDIT: Slicy didn't work for this particular project either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Dave posted:

How often will you be editing psd files? Because Adobe offers 30 day trials.
I'll probably end up having to use it a couple of times outside the trial period. :/

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's a basic starter kit for starting out with doodling, sketching, and drawing?

Mainly the pencils, perhaps the paper.

Be great if it's available in EU/Amazon UK.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

These are affordable and give you some variety. I'd find a set similar to it. No need buying super expensive pencils if you're just trying to practice and experiment. If you can find one with a few different erasers, that'd be good too. Here's another set with more to offer, but if you get a intimidated by too many choices, stick with an amount of supplies that will entice you instead of intimidate you.

For paper, you can just use newsprint paper (get a lot for very cheap), printer paper, a sketchpad, or a sketchbook. I'd recommend a little bit of each: printer/newsprint for practice sketches or just random work, a sketchpad for "proper practice" or for more "serious" pieces (if you have any interest in maybe using pens, markers, ink, etc, I'd get a thicker paper quality), and a sketchbook (to make you more conscious about your intent and wanting to "perfect" the finished project, but also learning that sketchbooks aren't holy and should be filled with whatever you want).

If you want to spend a little more on sketchbooks, I've used this brand of sketchbook for my last three and I love them (they come in various sizes and colors). Might be a little more expensive in the UK.
Awesome, I'll check them out. The latter kit is a little overwhelming but it looks like it's also very tidily ordered and easy to put away.

Are you supposed to do one drawing for one page, or do they also work for double-paged sketching?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Rather than just look up tutorials on YouTube or wherever, are there any GIMP tutorials y'all recommend?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The latter.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
"Of" is genitive/possessive, yes, so it's probably redundant with the apostrophe, if that's possible as an option outside the two.

I just assumed it was for an assignment or something as the sentence construction was a little wonky as it was, and you could always have cheated with "the US" in case you could try something else.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's a really good iPad stylus for light drawing that works on my Air 2?

I probably need a fairly thin one, already have some medium and large once with a generic nub. I imagine one with a tip is preferable here.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
These two Doxies are pretty cute and portable, but depends on the size of your canvas and material you draw with:

* http://www.getdoxie.com/product/doxie-q/
* http://www.getdoxie.com/product/flip/index.html

Here's the Wirecutter's recs:

* Portable document scanner
* Best cheap scanner

These days, especially with AR, you could probably just get an app to scan your paper to automatically re-orient it flatly for you. The latest version of iOS's Camera app also has an orientation reticle to ensure your phone is aligned with the floor, too.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Aside from wrist braces, this allows you to keep doing basic stuff, allegedly

https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/990306915233169413

I’d try a physical therapist, in case they can help relieve some of the problem.

Definitely take a break from everything and take the time to recover.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What are some decent permanent markers for drawing and Keynote/Powerpoint-type writing and illustrations?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

Where is s good place to post work to get feedvavk/build audience?

It looks like deviantart, and tumblr have both seen better days.
Might be that participating in weekly/occasional art hashtags on Twitter is an easier way to get exposure. A lot of Tumblr people are trying to move to pillowfort if you fancy being an early adopter.

tbh, i think aggressive watermarking with shortlink/handle is the way to go for anyone, regardless of the platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Most flow chart software is really awful. You might be better off just using something with an infinite canvas.

I usually end up just using a drawing app, but you've probably got more than can fit on most iPads, even when zoomed out.