Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I come from a digital background, print is new to me. Have a packaging job and a pamphlet job coming up, so I'm looking for good books that are easy to follow for prepress.

Never worked with spot or die lines etc but I do have a basic idea that you need 300dpi and bleed.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

kedo posted:

You’re right on both counts. I’m guessing your job is process color (cmyk) and not spot color (Pantone)? If it’s the latter, make sure you look at swatches when you’re choosing colors, on screen representations are not reflective of reality. Some colors look better with a double hit (notably bright reds, oranges, yellows, etc). If process, make sure your documents are using CMYK and your blacks are rich black, not 0,0,0,100.

Ask your printer about document settings for die lines and bleed, but generally speaking you should have 1/8 an inch bleed on everything at minimum. If it’s a job that requires precision, make sure you check it on delivery (or better yet do a press inspection, something that barely exists anymore but good printers should be open to), and don’t be hesitant to ask for a reprint if they didn’t do a good job.

I’m mostly web these days, but I started out working with an old school designer doing lots of print, so I know a fair amount about the process and am happy to answer questions. It’s a fun process full of weird little gotchas.

Thanks for this, will be a big help I'm sure.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

In terms of getting better at drawing/painting I'm not sure where my time is best spent.

I do a lot of painting (Photoshop, computer) from reference every day for about 2hrs. I also dabble with hand drawing with pencil / ink / watercolour. I don't often draw from imagination.

I know I'm not good at anatomy or drawing likenesses in the face. Is doing a lot of life drawing going to be the best bang for the buck or am I just being impatient and should stick to my practice every day?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

AFistfulOfBitcoins posted:

Hi all! does anyone have any recommendations for resources on working with colour?

Ive been getting into drawing and I bought myself a graphic tablet which has been pretty cool but im still only working in line and hatching really. I found the book the keys to drawing by bert dodson really helpful because it was split up into simple exercises which built on the previous ones, ideally im looking for something like that except on colouring instead of line drawing. Something that clearly goes through the fundamentals in detail but also has lots of directed exercises instead of 'heres some tips, now go do something on your own'. thinking up my own ideas makes the whole thing even harder :(

I dont mind paying for a book, but free resources are a plus. Something I can read though, I am incapable of learning from videos!

thanks for any ideas!

I suggest the cubebrush guy, he has a few videos on colour. This is one of them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A218Xy42_Ps